Alan Wong's Restaurant
1857 S. King Street
Honolulu, HI 96826Neighborhood:
Hawaii Regional CuisinePrice: $50 and over
Alan Wong's Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.alanwongs.com/
- Phone: 8089492526x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Hawaii Regional Cuisine
- Executive Chef: Miya Nishimura, Chef de Cuisine
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from Alan Wong's Restaurant
Consistently voted as one of Hawaii's best restaurants, James Beard award-winning Chef Alan Wong uses the freshest locally grown produce and the bounty of the Pacific Ocean to create local favorites with a contemporary twist. Inspired by the unique ethnic influences found in Hawaii today, his menu reflects Hawaii's cultural diversity of its people, traditions, and lifestyles. "Taste Hawaii."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHawaii Regional Cuisine
Alan Wong's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
Alan Wong's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
161 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (116)fit for foodies (93)romantic (61)notable wine list (46)neighborhood gem (27)good for groups (26)hot spot (23)scenic view (12)kid-friendly (8)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (5)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Over the topOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/17/2014An amazing culinary experience. If you like pineapple, the Bully's martini is out of this world. Foie gras is a taste treat all in itself. Service was a bit slow, but the delicious food made up for it.Special Features:
- One of a kind experiencefoodie21Dined on 9/14/2014Excellent food, superb food, well informed wait staff. My suggestion is to go to an early dinner. We had a 5pm reservation since we had an 8 pm show to get to. It turned out to be perfect since we had ordered the chef's menu and it took us exactly 2 hours to get through our meal. We loved our entire experience and it was worth every single penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- juppeats5starjuppeatsVIPDined on 9/8/2014Another return trip to Alan Wong's was a real treat. As always the food was the star, but on this visit the service was over the top as well. We both ordered the tasting menu, but not the accompanying wines that did not seem all that special for the extra cost. The courses on the tasting menu contain all the best dishes on the menu (in my estimation). Includes their wonderful tomato soup and grilled cheese/foie gras and pig sandwich. This is followed by the ahi and avocado stack, which I asked consist of avocado slices rather than the mash. Next came the snapper in an amazing sauce. Meat dish is their famous braised short rib. Dessert is coconut sorbet with chocolate shell to simulate a coconut, covered with beautiful fruit.Amazing!Special Features:
- Poor servicemauigirlVIPDined on 9/7/2014We have dined at Alan Wong's numerous times, always enjoying our evening. The food is very, very good. The ginger crusted onaga is excellent, and, dairy free. I also love the short rib. Fall apart meat, tender and flavorful. I have to mention that the service on our last visit was underwhelming and really not acceptable for a restaurant in this category. One of our meals was not hot and must have been sitting around for a while before being served. This put a big damper on our dinner as one of us had a meal to eat and the other was sent back to heat up. Our server was not attentive. We poured our own wine most of the night and had to flag him down most of the time.Special Features:
- awful servicenicknameVIPDined on 9/5/2014The food was ingenious and delicious. But we arrived and was told the 9 course prex fixe was unavailable, so we had the 5 course prex fix. We had to wait 45 minutes after they took away each course. We asked about when it would arrive, and with each course they apologized, but yet again, the next course took 45 minutes. In between, they said they would check with the chef, but they did not return until the course arrived. Never going backSpecial Features:
- BEST OF EVERYTHINGluvetodineinamericaDined on 9/3/2014I have been to Alain Ducasse, Heston's Diner and many more michelin starred restaurant, Alan Wong ranks number 1 on my list. I had the lobster for starter, when I opened my lid the smell of the lobster was amazing. I never knew lobster could smell like that. I had the lobster pasta for main, again, cooked entirely differently and tasted different to the starter, it was unbelievably delicious!!!The chocolate cheesecake was second to none, it was light and not too sweet, unlike most chocolate cheesecake. If you're in Honolulu, you must go there for dinner, it's absolutely amazing! We were on our honeymoon and they signed the menu for us and let us keep it. It's currently framed and hung on my wall. The waiter was friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Heavenly CuisineEddiewouldgoDined on 9/1/2014Every morsel was a heavenly delight! Loved everything from the appetizer, salad, entree, desserts and wine. Allan Wong', definitely the right choice for a special occasion!Special Features:
- Bad service and moreDrjennjennDined on 8/29/2014Was promptly seated for our reservation. Nice table with a view. Ordered the tasting menu and was told they were sold out. It was 9pm on a Friday night. Ordered alternatives which we enjoyed, though nothing was spectacular. Waited 30 min for dessert course and finally gave up to leave and settle the check. This took 3 attempts to correct for some reason. Spoke to a manager who did not comp or help alleviate our frustrations. Left feeling disappointed. After driving an hour back to our beach house, I woke up that night running to the bathroom. My husband's symptoms hit a few hours later. Thankful that I'm a physician and had an Rx for our symptoms, or the plane home would have been awful. A terrible end to an otherwise wonderful vacation.Special Features:
- A step backBac1Dined on 8/28/2014I've dined at AWs several times over the last year when on Oahu for work. Sadly this time it fell short. Had to wait 15 minutes past our reservation before we we seated. It took almost 45 minutes between clearing our first course and serving the second then almost as long for our entree. The resturant was busy but not that busy. Both my guest and my steak were overdone. I enjoy the creativity, and the high quality of ingredients...just disappointed in the overall experience this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good butgourmet6796Dined on 8/27/2014we have been the first time at Alan Wongs restaurant. The food was very good. The combination in tastes very interesting. My beef was too soft and too sweet for my taste. Also the dessert was to big for our suggestion, but it was a very good taste overall. We have gone for the signature menue. Also it would be fine if it is possible to switch one course to another inside the menue, which wass not possible. The wine selection was good. I was astonished to get a german Riesling. We have great wines I know this but the they are also been offered in Hawaii was new for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/25/2014Umami cuisine with all the wonderful Hawaiian produce, seafood and ranch delicacies!
- Best meal in HawaiiyvonneDined on 8/24/2014We loved our meal at Alan Wong's! Since it was our first experience, we ordered tasting menu and every course & wine pairing was excellent!! And very generous proportions!! Best meal in Oahu!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SimplyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Well to be perfectly honest, it's overrated. So now this site wants me to write at least 50 characters...enough?
- Simply the BestthatfoodguyVIPDined on 8/22/2014Don't let the location fool you. This is an outstanding restaurant! We had the tasting menu and every course was perfect and the wine pairings inspired. This is a must whenever we visit Honolulu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversery dinnernatey123Dined on 8/22/2014We've been to Alan Wong's many times and they did not disappoint. We got our requested window seat, the food was delicious, and the wait staff and server were attentive and courteous.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/21/2014Lovely food, beautifully presented and a sensible portion sizeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing foodboogsDined on 8/21/2014amazing food and service. I'd say the decor does not live up to the food and service, improving decor would really set this place apart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyabletoresia2114Dined on 8/20/2014Appetisers came in really large portions and the staff - great attention! Tomato & watermelon salad and Tuna poke salad with avocado (with crunchy wanton skins) are stand-outs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently high quality diningTravellingDinerDined on 8/16/2014This was my third time dining at Alan Wong's Restaurant. They continue to demonstrate with their food and service that they deserve their reputation as one of Hawaii's top dining destinations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dinner!!amaikuDined on 8/13/2014Thank you very fun time. We had alacarte, but was a very satisfactory meal. We wanted to eat the dessert, too, but We wera full and unfortunately cannot eat. I want to eat by all means on the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good but not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Really good meal at Alan Wong's but not as good as I had hoped.
- superb food shame about the winegbandjgDined on 8/10/2014Been here 4 times before and the food is always exceptional. Local produce, unique tastes and doesn't matter what you order. That said though the service wasn't as good this time with lots of waiters that were new and really some of them were not up to the standard I expect at A Wings. Wines here are an issue always though. Most of the low end by the glass wines are just chemically altered grape juices masquerading as wines when they would be better used as paint strippers. I am NOT joking. No decent Sauvignon Blanco, NOT one dry rose. For a restaurant this good their sommelier needs to radically rethink their choices. Or perhaps they do it deliberately so you must buy a bottle of over the top priced mediocre wine? Food though is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as usualJjt13Dined on 8/9/2014Everything was excellent. Fish, steak apps. My favorite of the evening was "da bag" appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Top NotchdineNwhineVIPDined on 8/9/2014From personalized menus, to ever changing inventive dishes, uncommon attention to detail and friendly, attentive service, Alan Wong's continues to deliver one fo the best dining experiences in Hawaii. Mostly elegant flavors of Pacific Rim, fusion cuisine. Zagat 28-23-27 may be a tad low.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Unpleasant Service.jackVIPDined on 8/7/2014The foods wer flawless. No more comment needed. However, I think they offer 1 star service with 5 star food to me. Basically, waiter is too busy because he handles too many tables. I just pour my wine for myself inevitably. I drank my daughter’s water because I don’t want to call a waiter loudly. There were so many times that no one paid attention to the guest near us.Special Features:
- Food is goodLala37Dined on 8/5/2014Food is very good. We made a reservation at 8pm. And we came all the way to Alan Wong's from abroad. We were waiting until 8:10. Even there were some empty tables, the receptionist still kept us waiting. Except for the reception service, the other services during dinning were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014The service was amazing, the food absolutely delicious, and the coconut dessert is highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Artistic foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014Great menu, flavors and presentation. We loved everything we ordered and the attention to detail and creativity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Experience!NYCDinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014This has become our favorite restaurant in Honolulu, this resataurant is at the top of our list! We look forward to returning soon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- my favorite restaurantbestofoahuDined on 7/31/2014Simply this restaurant is the very best in modern Asian Hawaiian foods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieDined on 7/31/2014Food was outstanding! Service was impeccable! Everyone was vey friendly and it made the experience that much better!I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimeLoriDined on 7/22/2014This was our first time at Alan Wong's. Although the food was excellent, the service was quite slow. Maybe it was a busy night.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014The only reason why I give this 4 stars is because of the service. The food was great! I loved every bite! The service was good all the way until waiting to pay for the bill. I waited at least 30-40 minutes from when they last checked on us, until the bill came. I think it was great to give us time to enjoy the restaurant...but could we at least pay, so that I could hang around leave when we are ready to? Rather than feel like someone forgot about us and left us waiting for the bill?Special Features:
- Wow the reviews were right!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/21/2014I worry about the places that are really hyped but Alan Wong's restaurant was fantastic and well worth the time to check out! We chose the tasting menu with wine parings. Every dish was absolutely perfect! The chef integrated and highlighted local farms and growers into every dish. Each was presented beautifully! I appreciated the chef working with me to ensure that the seafood was thoroughly cooked (bad allergies). My favorite dishes were the ginger crusted pink snapper and the chocolate haupia bowl! A must try is also the passionfruit mojito! We can’t wait for a trip to Maui to try another one of Alan’s restaurants!Special Features:
- Best dining on the islandsDocGasDined on 7/20/2014Ever since we first dined at AW's it's the place we always go when we want fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TravellingDinerTravellingDinerDined on 7/19/2014Five stars! Let them show you with their food and service that they deserve all their awards and accolades!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food & excellent serviceRachandrollDined on 7/19/2014The food was so creative and delicious at the same time. It was refreshing to read a menu that was so innovative and did not contain the same ole items that so many restaurants (even those from celebrity chefs) are prone to have. The Kalua pork in Da Bag is memorable (the most flavorable Kalua that I have ever had). I was blown away by the entire dining experience. All the staff was super nice, friendly and knowledgeable (they walked us through the menu and knew the ingredients. They brought plates for us to share dishes (without our having to ask). I found this to be very accommodating. Wish all restaurants had this kind of customer pleasing attitude.Special Features:
- Dessert was AwesomeDonfromLVDined on 7/18/2014We had the "Classics" Prix Fixe meal. Perfect for first timers. The course selections were great. Beautiful dessert presentation and very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food excellent, but...SwissGourmetDined on 7/17/2014We have had the smaller tasting menue for USD 125.--/ person incl. wine pairing. Food excellent - lousy service! While having the second course, the waiter already set knife and fork for the third course on the table. I had not finished my 3rd course, when the waiter took away the plate of my wife. There is absolutely no, I mean no atmosphere in the restaurant - too many tables similar to a McDonalds restaurant. We are used to eat and drink in top restaurants worldwide - but such a service and an overcrouded atmosphere never happened to us. Due to this bad service and loud and noisy restaurant we cannot recommend this to our friends, despite the fact that the food was excellent. Alan Wong, reduce the seats by 25-30!Special Features:
- Wong's restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/17/2014Superb dining with great food and friendly helpful staffSpecial Features: