268 S. State Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84111Neighborhood:
Salt Lake City
Contemporary MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.alamexo.com/
- Phone: 8017794747x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday thru Friday 11:30 am-2:00 pm
Limited Midday Menu: Monday thru Friday 2:00 pm-5:00 pm
Dinner: Monday thru Saturday 5:00 pm-10:00 pm, Sunday 5:00 pm-9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Matthew Lake
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Small semi-private space available.
A word from ALAMEXO
Alamexo offers authentic Mexican cuisine in downtown Salt Lake City. We offer a refined atmosphere, top shelf tequila selections, and warm hospitality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
ALAMEXO - Best Restaurants in Salt Lake City ›
ALAMEXO reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (23)hot spot (17)special occasion (15)great for outdoor dining (12)good for groups (12)great for lunch (10)neighborhood gem (10)romantic (7)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Good food but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Each meal is around $20, so its a little pricey. But you'll enjoy the food, atmosphere, and service (all very good). I especially enjoyed their tortilla soup as a starter. They were stingy with the chips though and never offered to bring out more or even ask if we would like more. We still had leftover guacamole on the table and were expecting them to at least ask, so that made me a little frustrated.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/21/2014Great find in SLC. Organic, local, and fresh ingredients used to create excellent traditional Mexican dishes.Special Features:
- luluDined on 10/13/2014awesome food, very consistent in quality and taste!!Special Features:
- SosoiluvfoodDined on 10/10/2014The service was off to a rough start since we saw no one for the first 10 minutes or so with no water or beverage order till I flagged down a bus boy. On a positive note the salsa was different and quite good. Our enchilads suiza and the special were rather ho hum for the price. We did love the churros at the end.
- Moles and SalsasdaytripperDined on 10/4/2014This was our second experience at Alamexco and I would have to say our first time, about 4 months ago, was maybe a little bit more enjoyable. Our server seemed a little nervous but gave us very good service. The salsas and moles were flavorful and earthy. The 12 oz flat iron steak was probably our favorite dish, served with a tres chile salsa. The tableside guacamole is good, but I make this all the time at home and didn't think theirs' was anything special. The tortilla soup was too thick and seemed more like a sauce than a soup. The cocktails were a little boring (no presentation and lacked distinct flavors.) The Carne Asada Tacos and Enchiladas Barbacoa De Res were also very good and flavorful. Love the complimentary churros!Special Features:
- Great food and service!RuthVIPDined on 10/3/2014A special occasion with my nephew called for a special place, and Alamexo was it! The drinks were great... the food fantastic. The side of corn with the lime was fabulous! And my burrito Suizas hit the right spot.Special Features:
- Where's the fish?RebswiftyDined on 10/3/2014This was our first stop on a progressive dinner to different restaurants in downtown SLC. We only ordered drinks and ceviche. The house margarita was very good. However when the ceviche came it presented similar to a spicy tomatillo type salsa rather than a ceviche. VERY spicy and hardly any fish! The extremely small peices that were there only amounted to about 1/8cup (total ceviche amout was around 1 1/2cup). This was VERY disappointing for two reasons. 1. Having ceviche was the ENTIRE REASON we chose to come to Alamexo. 2. Fish is, as I understand it, supposed to be the MAIN ingredient, not a garnish. My husband and I very quite disappointed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014this was my first time at alamexo, and it was great. the table side guacamole was the best.Special Features:
- hungry4moreDined on 9/25/2014Loved the food and atmosphere, but it was too loud to hold a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High quality Mexican foodOutdoorpartnerDined on 9/21/2014Best Mexican food I've eaten - and I've been to Mexico twice. This restaurant uses high quality ingrediants. If you really love Mexican and are willing to pay the price for high quality (over $50 per person for our table), than this restaurant is for you. The guacamole appetizer is wonderful, but the time your server has to spend making it detracts from the other tables they are trying to cover. I am glad we went once to experience the finest Mexican food available in Utah, but the high cost prohibits me from returning.Special Features:
- Potential is there.thecripplerDined on 9/19/2014As the title suggests this place does have the potential to be more than a solid "B", the appetizers were very tasty I had the black bean soup whereas my date had the tostada. Although the taste were very subtle for the soup I personally didn't care for the texture however a taste of the tostada was a light wonderful taste. The entrées of the enchiladas were served nice and warm and were presented nicely. However there was much to be desired with the taste as it was very bland but with the sides of the rice and decried beans that were brought out as the sides improved the overall taste. By the time the dessert was brought out the both of us were full and didn't finish it. Would I return for a meal here? of when there's better places to eat.Special Features:
- Blender Set To PureeslcbelleDined on 9/16/2014After hearing great things about Almexo, we gave it a try. Have to say I was really disappointed. The Pescado Veracruzana was overcooked and the sauce was pureed to the point of baby food and was extremely sweet and tangy. It was monotonous and unpleasant. Not at all the way Veracruzana should taste. My husband had the Enchilada Suizas which he thought was OK but I found the mole verde to be bland and the chicken to be flavorless. Boring. Their house salsa is also pureed beyond recognition. In all, I felt like everything we ate was mixed to Hell and back in a blender on puree and lacked the freshness and flavor you get by leaving some bits of original ingredients intact (tomato, pepper, onion, etc.) I have no interest in returning.
- luluDined on 9/15/2014dinner was fabulous!! We were entertaining colleagues from So Cal and they definitely appreciated the excellence in the food preparation. We dine here often and have never been disappointed!!Special Features:
- Not my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/20/2014Don't get me wrong, I love a good dining experience as much as the next girl, but this place just doesn't cut it. The service is slow-ish and the food is just kinda "meh." It was also quite expensive for the "meh-ness." There wasn't much to entice me back apart from the convenient location.
- Nice place for for a nice mealAggieFoodieVIPDined on 8/19/2014I have eaten here a number of times. The food is not typical Mexican, it is more creative than that, and much more inline with what I would consider peninsular food. That is from the Yucatan peninsula area within Mexico. Food is of high quality with fresh ingredients prepared carefully. Service is prompt and courteous but not overbearing. If you are looking for high quantity low quality border Mexican food for cheap, this is not the place. If you want something a bit more sophisticated, pleasant, and leave the Mariachi band out of the mix, this is your place. The Tequila list is amazing. In short, a nice place for a nice meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- karlabeanDined on 8/15/2014Food was great, service could be improved. Had to ask for multiple items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just ok.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Mojitos were not good. Food was good, not great. I doubt I'll go back.
- Good not greatJeMangeDined on 8/9/2014The food was good, not great. The ambiance was fun an vibrant. The service was a little pretentious, but okay. The prices were a bit high for the quality of food. The complimentary churros were the best part of our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodBretUtahDined on 8/8/2014I can't get enough of their food, it's absolutely amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatRuined8Dined on 8/7/2014The guacamole and the ceviche were pretty good. I couldn't tell you what my entree was- it wasn't that memorable. Nothing specifically bad about this dining experience but nothing amazing about it either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous and CreativeAlontheroadDined on 8/6/2014The food and service at Alamexo is so good. With a creative Mexican menu combining unique combinations for fabulous food. Service was also top-notch and personal.Special Features:
- a little underwhelmedVerydisappointedDined on 8/2/2014We have been wanting to try Alamexo for a little while, so this past weekend we continued celebrating our anniversary and thought it would be a great time to go, we had a whole special weekend planned with stay at the grand america, massages, great food. Unfortunately I'm not talking about Alamexo for the great food. After reading reviews, i had hoped for an elevated food dinning experience. I found the dishes we choose to be uninspiring. Not bad, but not great and unforgettable. I wish i had better things to say, but through out the diner experience i was already having these thoughts. I would not recommend.Special Features:
- ImpressiveNickr3333Dined on 7/20/2014I love Mexican food - but I usually don't like the super casual environment Mexican food is usually served at. This place has amazing food, a great staff, table side made guacamole, and a classy environment. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great!chefintrainingDined on 7/18/2014I really enjoyed the food and decor, the server was decent. The only thing is, they should get better tortillas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super OverpricedKwadDined on 7/14/2014If you want to pay $10 for 1 and 1/2 avacados, then get their guacamole! My friend ordered the salmon, which she liked. I had the Budin, which was really NOT good. It was all SOOOO overpriced. I don't get it.
- Fast becoming one of my favorite !!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014I've been here twice and both times it did nit disappoint. Fast becoming one of my favorite. It's a great high priced Mexican food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 171 reviews are from the ALAMEXO reviews archive.
- We've been twice in one week! guac!AMAZINGVIPDined on 6/24/2014It has an energetic atmosphere without being too loud. Service was amazing and if you don't like guacamole...don't bother because it's their "thing". YUMMY! Fish tacos at night and a tamale during the day. Portions are perfect and service is amazing! Watch out for parking @ lunch; it's not so great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Welcome Addition to DowntownVincentVega74Dined on 6/22/2014This "haute Mexican" is a nice change of pace from the usual dives where people indulge in this type of cuisine. I found it every bit as good as Frida Bistro. The food isn't terribly inventive, but is presented beautifully and is delicious. I hope this restaurant starts to get busier soon, as it seems to be flying under the radar thus far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE IT!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/15/2014I work down the street and we stopped in for lunch one day. We keep going back and I chose it as my birthday dinner with my girlfriends. One of my favorite places to eat! Have never had anything on the menu I didn't like.Special Features:
- first time hereLovetoEatVIPDined on 6/10/2014This was our first time here. Food was good. Good size portions. Waiter was very friendly. Got a little loud when groups are seated next to you. Will go back and dine again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must DineMTNDOUGDined on 6/3/2014The dining experience is consistently outstanding. Delicious meals and outstanding service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/1/2014Tried twice. Disappointed twice. Guacamole is the best thing on the menu. Paid $160 for 4 diners (only 2 drinks). Food was marginal, service was marginal. Won't be going back.
- Salsa and guacamole were amazing!blueblondeDined on 5/31/2014If you go for nothing other than the chips and salsa and guacamole, you will leave happy. Great experience all around.Special Features:
- Will go backDeanieDined on 5/30/2014We had a dinner reservation and were delayed by a rainstorm. They were waiting for us and we had a nice table by the window. While my husband parked the car, I ordered for him...since we were now in a hurry, no chips, guacamole or pre-dinner drinks. He had chicken suisa, which was not very good - too much chunky chicken in a dry tortilla. The suisa sauce was good, but the meal was listless because the enchilada was so full and dry. I had the true cod taco which was good. Beans and rice were delicious. Service was very attentive and fast. The menu is interesting and we will go back to try other entrees and specialty drinks. Hip and noisy atmosphere. Patio looks inviting. A good addition to SLC's downtown dining scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious SW in Salt LakeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/24/2014Lived everything about this restaurant from the table side guacamole to the awesome chicken enchiladas. The shrimp cerviche with orange sauce was delicious as well. Service was awesome as was the atmosphere. Loved everything about this restaurant and would highly recommend to anyone looking for great southwestern good in Salt lake. Yum! Will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experienceCERREPROVIPDined on 5/24/2014WOW!!! A MUST for anyone that appreciates good food of any kind much less Mexican. Everything from traditional to fancy options. Incredibly fresh and superb. We eat out often at what are considered all the local fine restaurants and I'm here to tell you Alamexo is as good or better than any of them. I had their halibut and it was by far the best I've had in this state - EVER! Highly - highly recommend you give it a try. I drove by several times and never really took it seriously due to what appeared to be a questionable location. Don't make the same mistake. Almost failed to mention the service was every bit as good as the food. From the server to the accommodating kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent always!BethLikesPieDined on 5/23/2014Uniques flavors and dishes. GREAT unusual margaritas and cocktails. Best. Guacamole. Ever. Desserts amazing too. Everything I have had there is excellent.Special Features:
- Great choices and flavorsTerryVIPDined on 5/15/2014Loved the tableside guacamole with chips and extremely flavorful salsa of the day. Everything was well prepared with perfectly intense flavors. Loved the salmon entree and the shrimp tams le appetizer.Special Features:
- 3rd TimemeandBDined on 5/14/2014This is the third time I've been to this restaurant in a relatively short time, which is a testament to the fact that I really like it. Mainly, the food is very unusual in a really good way and nicely presented, so it feels like something special. This is a good thing because it's rather expensive. This isn't the place for the standard combo enchilada dinner. The service is a bit informal, but it's attentive and accessible, and the place is pleasant. There's a big array of different tequilas and special margaritas for people who like those, but no draft beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New approach to Mexican fareOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Excellent margaritas....excellent table side prepared guacamole.....excellent burritos. Fish tacos need a more flavorful sauce and would be better already put together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.