1098 Jackson Street
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
Contemporary ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.alaromana.com/
- Phone: 4152923699x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner nightly at 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Fusion / Eclectic, Peruvian
- Executive Chef: Lorenzo Logoreci
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Ala Romana
Ala Romana offers housemade pasta and pizza with a selection of small plate appetizers and a few main courses in a modern, neighborhood setting on Nob Hill. We also feature Nob Hill's only Happy Hour Tue-Sat 5:30-7pm with $1 oysters and $5/glass sparkling, white and red house wines!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ala Romana reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (32)fit for foodies (19)romantic (16)special occasion (12)good for groups (8)notable wine list (6)late-night find (4)great for brunch (4)hot spot (3)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2014Close to Fairmont Hotel, easy walking distance, friendly staff, good casual dinner place.Special Features:
- Italian?ExcellentVIPDined on 9/5/2014Loved the ceviche and arancini and pizza, not so much the oysters (tiny) and the pastas (tasteless). Also loved the space and, most importantly, the great waiter and owner. So warm and personable. All they need now is someone who can cook Italian food.Special Features:
- Dove sono gli italiani?DanteVIPDined on 8/30/2014French waiter, Peruvian cook, where are the Italians? We were looking forward to an Italian trattoria experience and were disappointed. The food was hit and miss, not great. The service was very good and attentive. I must confess that we are not big fans of the line up of two tops with a mirror in back on the wall so you can see what else is going on in the restaurant and you are sitting elbow to elbow with other diners. Oysters were good, prosciutto & burrata needed more crostini. Spiit a caesar, under dressed romaine leaves were poor. Spit the tortellini with tallegio pasta dish - underwhelming as well. Too many other good Italian restaurants in SF. Pass on this one.Special Features:
- Warm and CozybutchDined on 8/28/2014A group of us had a lovely evening here. We were celebrating an engagement, so we wanted to feel a little special. The atmosphere is charming (even though noisier than we would have liked for conversation). They accommodated our adding a 7th person to our table, and nicely presented a bottle of champagne sent by someone not attending. The service was perfect, attentive and friendly. The food was very good. We liked the small interesting menu. We ordered a very good wine. Parking is a little challenging.Special Features:
- quality controlfoodleVIPDined on 8/22/2014the waitstaff were very professional and friendly, we just had some problems w the food. the short ribs were very beautifuly presented, but exceptionally dry. the pasta's were both cold when they got to us, and the affogato was almost totally melted when it arrived as well (you'd think they would have tried to get a new scoop of ice cream, instead of serving us a cup of cream). pretty disappointing. we also really wanted to try the artichoke and the uni pasta, but i guess those items dropped off the menu. I think the owner should maybe focus on what's going on in the kitchen more instead of swanning around the restaurant w his friends.Special Features:
- A new go-to neighborhood gemSFGEVIPDined on 8/15/2014At last, a go to neighborhood restaurant on Nob Hill. This was our first visit after trying a few times to get in during their opening buzz. We had an early dinner (happy hour 5:00-7:00). Virtually everyone on the staff was accommodating and enjoyable, from the door to the table and throughout the meal. The summer salad with peaches was one of the best I have had, extremely fresh greens, dressing not too heavy nor light. The ceviche with peppers was similarly fresh and outstanding (and a deal at happy hour- $6). My house made pasta with bolognese was revelation and my wife's mussels with ham were perfect. Dessert was wonderful. The wine list is well chosen and well priced. A wonderful addition to the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in San FranciscoSLCTravelerDined on 8/13/2014This great little neighborhood restaurant was a real gem! Came with a small group from work and enjoyed all aspects of our meal. The general manager, Michael, visited our table from his private gathering. Visit this place. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findBob56Dined on 8/9/2014Walking distance from Fairmont. Missed first night due to delayed flight (thanks, Southwest), and they called back to see if we could make it later that evening. Went next night and was rewarded with homemade pasta (delicious), attentive but not overbearing service, and outstanding food and wine. Small neighborhood place but not overly crowded on a Saturday night. Would definitely recommend and will come back on next trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningShannonDined on 8/7/2014This restaurant was a block from our vacation rental and recommended by the renter. We had a lovely meal and the atmosphere was very romantic. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Service, Unique MenuFunSummerBrunchDined on 8/3/2014We went to Ala Romana expecting traditional Italian brunch, but what we got was a creative summer brunch. Alexander was an awesome host. The sangria was...strong....and delicious. I would highly recommend going to Ala Romana (and ask for Alexander!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely evening...ChinoisDined on 8/1/2014Service was super friendly and accommodating. Wonderful dinner experience we had there last Friday night. It was my friend Steve's birthday. Your staff made us feel special and provided us with warm and professional service.Special Features:
- A neighborhood GemMItravelerVIPDined on 7/30/2014Tired of average food with high prices at all of the typical tourist spots, we were looking for a restaurant with good food and reasonable prices. Ala Romana delivered in all respects. Very good food, attentive service, friendly staff and a nice ambiance. Go there - you can't miss!Special Features:
- birthday brunchcelebrationVIPDined on 7/20/2014The brunch menu is fabulous; hard to choose just one. Generous amount of proscuitto on the eggs benedict. I ordered a prosecco that turned out to be too sweet for me, so the waiter didn't charge for it and brought me a different champagne. The waiter was friendly and didn't make us feel rushed. Beignets were a bit overdone and could have used more of the homemade nutella.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!DrHollyCDDined on 7/20/2014My friends and I had Sunday brunch at this neighborhood gem and the food was delicious. The service was outstanding also. Thank you for a wonderful meal!Special Features:
- Waiter in slow motionCCJCVIPDined on 7/19/2014We loved Ala Romano…the food was delicious, the restaurant had a nice feel & the service was saved by the manager & other wait staff as our actual waiter was in slow motion all night...he missed the beat on everything & thankfully the other staff jumped in. Our waiter spent the majority of the night standing at the bar working on customers bills instead of paying attention to the diners he was supposed to be serving. Thanks to the others though for saving the night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michelin rated serviceMoflickaVIPDined on 7/19/2014Service was as good as a Michelin rated restaurant. Restaurant was busy on a Saturday night but we were taken care of like we were the only diners in the restaurant. We came for the happy hour pricing and it's a really good deal, they have $1 oysters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Value Happy HourSF2DCDinerVIPDined on 7/9/2014You can be very happy from 5:30-7:00 with the specially priced drinks and appetizers. We repeated orders of arancini, sliders, and the mushroom risotto because the first orders were so delicious they made us regret sharing with each other. The $1 oysters drew mixed reviews so we would recommend ordering a few to sample instead of committing to a dozen immediately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealTonyVIPDined on 7/5/2014Just had another great meal at Ala Romana. The cuisine is innovative and the service is excellent.Special Features:
- Cozy neighborhood placedin4twoDined on 6/22/2014It saddens me to feel that with just some very simple changes this could have been a great experience. 1. no candles on our table (some others had them??) 2. only three beer choices on menu but were out of one we wanted 3. portions are too small...had two courses and left hungry (all 6 of us)....wish the waiter had suggested ordering more...actually, any input from the (less than friendly) waiter would have been nice. 4. We were one of two tables but weren't greeted or served bread (had to ask for butter) for more than 15 minutes. The food was very good which is why it is a shame that the little things kept this from being a really fun experience. All in all, I DO recommend giving this place a try. It just needs a little polish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nicely maturing bistroNobHilleryDined on 6/19/2014We dined here once shortly after they opened, and were a tad disappointed. On a return visit, it has matured nicely. The homemade pastas are superb, the salads excellent, and the short ribs succulent and well flavored. The wine list has some moderately priced bottles (could use a few more) and a nice selection. The servers are genial, if a bit disorganized. It's a small room and consequently quite noisy, but we'd definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice surprisemsquareVIPDined on 6/19/2014This is the first time dining here and was expecting more of the traditional Italian menu options. There were many other great choices and it was nice to see that they were quite interesting as well. Our table had fish, spareribs and pasta. Everything was great. Appetizers are a little hard to share for more than 2 unless you get a few of them. It was a nice wine list too, not to overwhelming. Seems to have a neighborhood vibe and since it has little parking, taxi or cable car would be the best option if you don't live in the area.Special Features:
- The following 37 reviews are from the Ala Romana reviews archive.
- FrancisVIPDined on 5/24/2014My wife & I went there for dinner this past Saturday and came away impressed. Recommend the Artichoke, Pappardelle Bolognese, & Short Ribs Alla Piemontese. The service was good, ambiance nice, and just an excellent value overall.Special Features:
- Great Date Night SpotSFgalDined on 5/23/2014I've been here twice--once with a group on a business dinner and once on a date night with my husband. I was impressed both times with both the food and service at this charming Italian eatery. When we arrived, we were immediately greeted and welcomed at our table. The service was attentive; my chair was pulled out for me and napkin placed on my lap. The candlelit ambiance is nice and the food and wine was great. Would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to the neighborhoodGoodFoodAndOpenTableFanVIPDined on 5/10/2014We recently had dinner here and were quite pleased. Each of us enjoyed our appetizers (artichokes and arancini), entrees (short ribs, pizza and pasta) and the wine recommended by our waiter was excellent. And, lest I forget, the shared chocolate cake dessert was very tasty. The ambiance is comfortable with a touch of coziness. The prices were reasonable considering the quality of the food. It is a great addition to the neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the food!KR42VIPDined on 4/19/2014This place is awesome! I can't say enough about the food. Fresh, house-made pasta was cooked perfectly. The short rib was rich and delicious and just fell apart it was so tender. We also had the flat iron steak which was cooked on a charcoal grill, loved it! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!TinyDiningDined on 4/11/2014I thought the food was overall great. I went here for the first time a few weeks back with a friend who just moved to the city, and then again when two of my friends visited I had to go back. Two of our three dishes really nailed it; the short ribs were incredible while my risotto was bland. Our waiter was attentive and friendly. I will definitely be back with more friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They are innovative, openNaplesx2Dined on 4/10/2014They are innovative, open to any and all suggestions and are masters of knowing how to make their guests feel comfortable. Food and service are wonderful, and you are almost always sent a special treat from the Chef, who continues to change, add, and surprise with his lovely menu. They are a perfect fit for our beautiful neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good, I return every FridayOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/2/2014So good, I return every Friday for dinner with my mother and relatives.Special Features:
- Eat, drink & chat up with friends!ndandreaDined on 3/5/2014In picking Ala Romana we were looking for great food, wine and a social environment that was not too loud so my friends and I could catch up!! This hit them all. The gnocchi melts in your mouth, the homemade chili oil was just the right level of spice and the service was knowledgable and friendly!!!Special Features:
- nothing like allegro romanofoodtouristDined on 3/4/2014Allegro Romano is one of my favorite restaurants in SFO. But I have avoided coming there due to difficulty of parking and getting a reservation. Parking at Ala Romano is far more difficult than at Allegro Romano, and the food is pretty awful. The pasta was too salty and the pork chop very ordinary. The staff friendliness and professionalism was incredible. But given the many better choices for Italian in SFO and the fact that parking is downright annoying, I don't think this restaurant will pull through. I will go back to Allegro Romano, but only if I don't have to drive.
- Skip!PennyVIPDined on 3/1/2014I can't blame the place for being in such a hard-to-park neighborhood, but it would've been nice if they had valet because it took us forty minutes to find a spot several blocks away. There were several missteps by the servers, and it was weird that so many different ones came to our table. I considered it a sign of disorganization. But it wasn't just that. There was forgotten food orders, someone who listened to me ask a question and mumbled something and walked away, one who ran into my elbow as she tried to walk past, and an overall careless tone. I could've forgiven all of the above if the food was tasty, but it was mediocre. I don't know how they managed to mess up polenta but they did. I would skip this restaurant.
- A neighborhood gem! Ala RomanaAnonymissDined on 2/19/2014A neighborhood gem! Ala Romana is the kind of restaurant that makes me fall in love all over again with dining experiences in San Francisco. While it is hard to find a bad meal in San Francisco (uless you're a tourist in North Beach!) Ala Romana is a reminder that some of the greatest meals don't need to cost a fortune or feel pretentious. The neighborhood charm and friendly service were only surpassed by the comforting, well prepared food. Excellent pastas, pizza and meats. Welcome to the neighborhood Ala Romana!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty casualreinaVIPDined on 2/9/2014There were 4 of us on a rainy Sunday evening around 8 and the restaurant was not busy so the noise level was low. I say this because I'm sure when it is full it must be pretty noisy as other people have mentioned. All the dishes we had were delicious (puntarelle salad, artichokes, lamb chops, ribolllita, squid pasta, panna cotta) I didn't try my friend;s Margartia pizza. The wine list is pretty standard fare and not very impressive. It's decent, but if you are a wine person you won't be impressed especially living where we do and the sophistication of many restaurant's wine lists in the bay area. On the other hand, you get a very generous pour for a decent price. It's a great neighborhood place, especially if you don't have to find parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingSullydocDined on 2/8/2014I hosted a special event for 16 and everyone raved about the food and service. Chris, the head waiter, called me the day before and we worked on a special 6 course menu that was then printed for everyone, wonderful choices, family style until the main course. Wow! He even arranged to park my wife's car as she arrived in the rain at a neighbor's home. What a night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LucyVIPDined on 2/5/2014We all thought our food was ok. Not great. But the biggest issue was the acoustics. So loud! They would do well to put curtains or some fabric somewhere to absorb some of the noise.
- overwhelmedKobeVIPDined on 2/4/2014Perhaps, the review in the Sunday Chronicle has put extra pressure on the kitchen and staff. It seemed that everything was hurried and not quite given the time and thought in preparation of the food. The staff seem to be hurrying too much. We will give it another try sometime and hopefully time will help. The menu is looks very promising and delicious but missed on final product.Special Features:
- Let down.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/31/2014The squid ink pasta was quite delightful, but the rest of the food was just so-so, and the wine list (a one pager with wines you could purchase at Safeway) was inexcusable for an Italian restaurant in SF.
- Great food, great ambianceSianetaVIPDined on 1/30/2014Enjoyed the ambiance especially... nicely designed restaurant and lovely new addition to the neighborhood. Chicory salad and squid ink tonatelli were delicious dishes. Service staff is gracious and will get their rhythm with a bit more experience. We'll be back!Special Features:
- birthday dinnernewreviewer123Dined on 1/25/2014I went in a group of 4 for a friend's birthday dinner and we had an excellent time. The restaurant is on the smaller side, but it seems like they can accommodate larger groups if you call ahead. I would definitely recommend making a reservation because the place was completely full. The food was delicious and extremely well priced for what you get. Our table split the prosciutto/burrata appetizer, and I think it's the best burrata I have had outside of Italy. I had the pork chop with parmesan polenta as my main course and highly recommend it. All and all, an excellent evening. The restaurant is dimly lit, which would make it perfect for a romantic date night.Special Features:
- Great pizza, delicious flavors,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/23/2014Great pizza, delicious flavors, unique menu, friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.