5001 34th Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55417Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alventorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6127243009x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Jon Hunt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering is available upon request.
- Private Party Facilities: Parties of 12 or more will be seated in a semi-private dining area. A set price per person will be agreed upon, depending on guest needs. Meal will be coursed.
- Special Events: To make a reservation for a party of 5 or more, please contact the restaurant directly at 612-724-3009.
A word from Al Vento
Al Vento is a romantic Southern Italian bistro with fine dining at affordable prices. The relaxed decor and elegance by candle light provide the perfect setting for friendly banter, family outings, or simply staring into the eyes of your lover with a fine Italian wine in hand. With notably some of the most knowledgeable and friendly staff in the Twin Cities, Al Vento is the perfect dining experience for you this evening.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Al Vento - Best Restaurants in South Minneapolis ›
Al Vento reviews from OpenTable diners
171 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (145)great for outdoor dining (95)fit for foodies (94)romantic (82)special occasion (78)notable wine list (44)great for brunch (32)good for groups (29)hot spot (12)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (9)great for lunch (8)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- gnocchi greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014The gnocchi was absolutely fantastic. Service was great. Ambience good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014My boyfriend and I went here for a nice dinner out for the two of us. The service was great and we were both very happy with our meals and drinks. I would definitely come back and definitely recommend this to others.Special Features:
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/17/2014We had heard a lot about this place and were excited to finally go there. The food was generally good. I could have rated it much higher, but both of our entrees were really salty. We should have said something, but our schedule was tight and we didn't want to fuss. We will try again at some point in the future. The service was good, but a bit overbearing. We had multiple servers and several who kept trying to take my wine glass away - I hadn't yet decided if I was going to have wine with my dinner. All were pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Great ExperiencedvmdinerDined on 10/14/2014Al Vento is a favorite neighborhood spot. Never a bad choice on the menu, great service and unique cocktails at the bar.Special Features:
- Great fooddogmomDined on 10/14/2014The food was wonderful. We tried numerous things and shared. Loved it. It was busy, the tables are very close together so while the food is perfect for a special occasion, there is really no privacy. Fun place if you are OK talking to tables around you, we did and it was good! Seemed the wait staff was short handed so service was slow but our server was apologetic yet fun.Special Features:
- Once again, Wonderfulvancouver06Dined on 10/14/2014We had a terrific meal with friends at Al Vento. The food was fabulous, the wine list was great and the service was amazing! We highly recommend this place for "date night" or any meal! We will be back!Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemHighExpectationsDined on 10/11/2014The food on "date night" was better than the food we ate on Saturday night. The food on Saturday was average, not especially wonderful. I must say that I was a little disappointed. I expected better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DEANfromLAXDined on 10/11/2014We loved our meal and overall experience at Al Vento. Great food and service. We tried 3 of the pizzas and all were excellent. Also the sampler plate of the bruschetta - delicious! We will come again when we visit the Cities.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local place with good foodFood4funDined on 10/8/2014Great food good ambiance and a lot of fun to try ...not far from home and good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BRUNCH !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Such a good deal and great great place! I do not think it is kids friendly though...Special Features:
- Very Good OverallKeshaLienDined on 10/4/2014This was my first visit to Al Vento. We had two appetizers (the olive tapenade over honey goat cheese and the Hen of the Woods mushroom polenta cake brussels and sqaush) and two entrees (the Bucatini al'amatriciana with house cured pancetta tomato and chili and the Fettuccine alle vongole with manila clams white wine marscapone and chili). All my dining partner and I thought each dish was a bit too salty.Special Features:
- each day the menu changes. a .unimpressedDined on 10/4/2014Something marvelous each time. Ghnocci was savory and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, slow serviceSteakLoverVIPDined on 10/3/2014Very fun, neighborhood place. Great food with an energetic ambiance. This is a nice date night place to go if you are not in a hurry.Special Features:
- Best Italian in TownGreatItalianDined on 10/1/2014Every time I've been to Al Vento it has been a perfect experience. The food is top notch, the atmosphere is cozy and romantic, and the service is great. Definitely one of my favorite restaurants, and the absolute best Italian in the Twin Cities.Special Features:
- Over priced for poor-mod qualityEasy2pleaseDined on 9/27/2014I have visited Al Vento once or twice a year since you opened. I have enjoyed paying more when the food and service has been better than most restaurants. This visit was disappointing. I have to say that the prices go up and the quality does not increase, sad to say. I ordered the beet salad which tasted bad---with few beets. WAY overpriced for the measley portion. Most of items listed on the menu for the salad couldn't be even seen or tasted. The arugula was acidy and so strong, couldn't taste the beets. Do you ever do some tasting of your own salads? My chicken entree was good but, not excellent. Very small portion but, would've been fine if the salad wasn't so disappointing.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014We have dined here for years. The food and service is always great. As with many restaurants, noise is an issue. Sometimes it's hard to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alvento...must try if you have notFrenchyDined on 9/26/2014Bruchettas are fabulous...all of them. Salads fabulous...Entrees featuring a brand new seasonal fare fabulous!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We keep coming backMyPicksDined on 9/23/2014Never a bad meal, always great service, handicapped accessible which is a great plus. We keep coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely, neighborhood gemfrequentdinerVIPDined on 9/23/2014This place is unique and a welcome break from all of the formula restaurants out there. We dined on the patio on a perfect September evening. The Pizza is fantastic, the caesar salad is the best I have ever had and the pistachio semi-freddo was the best dessert I have ever had and it didn't even have any chocolate in it. Our server, Geoff, was great and steered us to the best things on the menu. Can't wait to go back the next time we're in Minneapolis.Special Features:
- Delightful dinnerGynethDined on 9/21/2014Al Vento is one of my favorite neighborhood dining spots. On a recent visit, my husband and I enjoyed an entree of meltingly tender pork tenderloin encrusted in a pistachio coating, served with orzo and garnished with juniper and a balsamic/fig compote. Creative, delicious, Italian in South Minneapolis.Special Features:
- victuals4lifeDined on 9/21/2014Food was supremely superb. Server (Brian) was very attentive and helpful. A wonderful neighborhood gem of a restaurant.Special Features:
- Great patioRarelyGoOutDined on 9/20/2014We sat on their enclosed patio while it rained. It was a great space! Our food was fantastic. Love the happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed fine diningJustlikehomeDined on 9/15/2014Very attentive service which allows for carefree dining. Courses timed well. Everything comes properly prepared and out of the oven hot. Just the way you would cook at home. Knowledgeable staff regarding wine..Special Features:
- Linger after each coursegr8tfoodDined on 9/13/2014I have never had such great service. It was impossible not to linger over each appetizer because they were so bountiful. Great wine selection with very knowledgable wait staff. On the expensive side, I would use the excuse to dine at Al Vento for every special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningSunshineDined on 9/9/2014Had a nice dinner at Al Vento in their beautiful covered patio with large potted plants, nice service, pleasant atmosphere. The food was very good. A number of interesting menu choices. I will definitely go back. Co-worker recommended Al Vento for Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I keep going back to Al Vento...VegieMixDined on 9/9/2014I have been to Al Vento several times, and have always been pleased with the food and the ambience. The semi-enclosed outdoor patio they added last year is my favorite spot. The Tuesday Date Night menu, four courses for $20, is just the right amount of food and all of it delicious. Bottles of wine are half price until 6 PM.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best patios!JamesDined on 9/7/2014This is always one of our favorite places, with great food, homemade pastas and friendly service. In nice weather, the wonderful patio is a big plus. I think it's the best moderately priced Italian restaurant in the Twin Cities! Its sister restaurants (Rinata and Sparks) are also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LindyDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I went there for dinner and sat outside in their beautiful patio. We have been here many times since we "discovered" it. Everything we have ever ordered has been delicious. This last time we order the bruschetta with corn and burratta cheese. Loved it. But the best was the fussili with pork shoulder ragu. I can't wait to go back and order again. One of our top favorite 5 restaurants in the Twin Cities.Special Features:
- Almost PerfectjayneDined on 9/6/2014Everyone in our group of 4 loved their food. The only exception was the chicken added to my caprese salad. It had no flavor at all. That was the first disappointment I've had at Al Vento.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Imaginative ItalianwbeemanVIPDined on 9/3/2014I am spoiled coming from Providence, RI where, in my opinion, the best Italian food in the nation is served. While in the Twin Cities, however, Al Vento comes close. It is certainly in the top tier in the Midwest. The kitchen works hard to produce interesting Italian food on a frequently changing menu. The enthusiasm of the staff makes dining here a pleasure. The menu is somewhat limited. There are few vegetarian options, though given the friendliness of the staff I am sure accommodations can be made. The homemade pasta is excellent and the changing bruschetta options are always fun. On the night we went the service was somewhat slow. But it was a Wednesday and night, and the restaurant was full. Perhaps they had not anticipated the crowd.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningSanfeb10VIPDined on 8/30/2014We met friends and sat outside--something one can't always do in Minnesota! We enjoyed all of the food although there should have been more goat cheese on the goat cheese bruschetta. All the entrees were very tasty. Two diners were new to Al Vento; both enjoyed their food and said they will return.Special Features:
- foodlover57Dined on 8/28/2014The bucatini is to die for. I love the patio. I think Al Vento has a very good selection of wine. I enjoy the cozy feel of the restaurant. It's one of my favoritesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BgbgDined on 8/19/2014Food and service was very good. Nice neighborhood restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice summer evening.KenwooddinerDined on 8/16/2014We celebrated my brother's birthday at Al Vento. It was perfect--good, home-made Italian pasta with a friendly, casual ambience. The service was very attentive and helpful. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeoffreyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014Geoffrey was fantastic! He's a true pro, will come back because of him alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Manhattan on 34thcriticalmassDined on 8/16/2014Let's put it this way..We got married here. Everyone was making yummy sounds during the dinner. The wait staff is most attentive. They also serve the most delicious bread ever created. Go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sundancesundanceDined on 8/16/2014The chef had a salt thing going Saturday night. My wife's pappardelle was too spicy to finish, and even the glaze on my rib eye was overly salty. However, the bruschetta was amazing, the wine list appropriate, and the ambience terrific. Our waiter, Lou, was friendly and helpful. This was the first time the food wasn't up to our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Al VentoExperiencedDinersVIPDined on 8/15/2014Very disappointing dinner. For the main courses we ordered their trout dish and a pasta Amatriciana. The latter was described as having hot pepper flakes added, and the waiter volunteered that they could cut back on that ingredient. After quite a long wait, the pasta came with a lot of pepper, and the trout was badly overcooked. We were hungry and didn't want to wait another 40 minutes, so we did not send them back. These dishes are not difficult to prepare. Management should check the kitchen.
- Good food, but disappointedbeerdrinkerDined on 8/12/2014Received confirmation of reservation for patio. Arrived 20 minutes early, was told that patio dining could not be reserved and that we would have to wait at least an hour to sit on patio. Even when I explained I had received patio confirmation, it was not honored. Staff was polite and regretted the error, food and wine were very good despite the disappointment of eating inside on a beautiful night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try it! You will be back!!DiscriminatingTasteDined on 8/12/2014Excellent food!! Great wine list. Amazing Specialty Cocktails! House infused Limoncello and Rhubarb Gin! Try the Italian Mojito. Refreshing, not too sweet, delicious! Great service, too! Only exceeded by the unique choices and never disappointing flavor of the food. We had our son's grooms dinner here and it was fantastic! Surpassed our expectations. Been coming here for years and have referred countless friends and family to check it out. They are loyal customers now, too! The short rib entree is melt in your mouth delicious. Also, try the spaghetti and meatballs. Ridiculously good!! Mother sauce that has cooked all day, homemade pasta, and veal meatballs. Bon appetit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.