Al Sospiro Trattoria
18035 Georgia Ave
Olney, MD 20832-2237Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Al Sospiro Trattoria
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.alsospirotrattoria.com/
- Phone: 3015703185
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30PM - 9:00PM.
Friday- Saturday:5:30PM - 10:00PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Wine
A word from Al Sospiro Trattoria
Welcome to al Sospiro Trattoria. Since our inception, our goal has been to provide a restaurant where you could come and enjoy authentic Italian food, excellent wines, and a truly unique dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Al Sospiro Trattoria reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (10)romantic (9)fit for foodies (8)special occasion (6)good for groups (1)Show More
- Great Food, but too ExpensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/19/2014Nice little restaurant. Food is excellent, but overpriced. The ambiance is fine but not great. The restaurant in the basement next to a pizza place with no windows. It is nice, but not great compared to many of the restaurants in Montgomery county MD. The service was fine. What prevents me from giving it a better rating is the cost. For instance, I ordered good old fashion spaghetti and meatballs and was charged $24! A glass of wine was around $10. This prices do not fit the basement, average ambiance of the place.
- Uneven Experience This VisitOlneyFoodieDined on 10/12/2014I mentioned when making my online reservation we were celebrating our daughter's 18 birthday and asked if there were any special desserts planned for that evening. I never heard back. We ordered several appetizers and salads including the grilled romaine. The lettuce was quite tough with a lot of core at the end as well as being difficult to cut with the standard (albeit beautiful) knife at the table. Cod was ordered only to have the waitress come back and say they were out, same happening with the "soufflé" dessert they only had 2 out of 3 ordered. Veal was a bit tough and had gristle. We were disappointed there was no candle on our daughter's dessert after mentioning twice it was her 18th. Hopefully next visit will be better.Special Features:
- Not that great!OlneyfoodieDined on 10/9/2014Pasta didn't wow us .. sauce seemed bottled ... meatballs were dry and flavorless. Expensive for what you get.
- LovelyChopperVIPDined on 9/11/2014Random place in Olney, MD, you would never know is there. The location has it a bit hidden, but it is totally a hidden gem. My co-worker and I were looking for a late night decent place as we passed through on our way back from a business trip. We were greeted by a very polite an knowledgeable waitress and immediately served some warm bread. I had the most creative salad that was a full stalk that was grilled with balsamic vinegar and some blue cheese. Very satisfying start. My friend and I both got specials which were fish and they were excellent. Mine was a bit on the salty side. The deserts were fabulous and we left feeling stuffed and very satisfied to find this hidden gem in Olney. Definitely recommend trying!Special Features:
- Great foodRowdaddyVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had a delightful dinner at Al Sospiro. I had the spinach salad which was bursting with flavor followed by the escalloped Veal which was delicious, amazing. We will return.Special Features:
- VantageVIPDined on 8/12/2014My only complaint was the access. You have to use stairs to enter and exit which makes it very difficult for those who are handicapped and/or elderly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint and deliciousMdDinerDined on 8/3/2014The service is great. Food was made fresh, so we had a long wait to serve 6 people including young kids. Not great for young ones, but they enjoyed to food too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real Roman CuisineTechsan68VIPDined on 7/27/2014I live in the Olney area so I'm pleased to visit Al Sospiro several times a year to enjoy authentic Roman dishes. Once again on this latest visit I was not disappointed. I had a swordfish special that was perfectly seasoned with garlic and lemon. My only complaint was that the cake I ate for dessert was dry and almost tasteless. The service was friendly and attentive, as usual.Special Features:
- A must for dining in OlneyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/9/2014Al Sospiro has very traditional, fresh, and absolutely delicious food. My fiance' and I drive from Howard County to dine here at least once a month. The prices are reasonable and the staff is friendly. Don't be fooled by its location in the basement level under a Dominos Pizza - this place is legit. I HIGHLY recommend Al Sospiro as a must if you live near Olney. Pay attention to their specials. They have one of the best grilled romaine salads available. And when they have the Swordfish special - order it. I never order swordfish for fear of it being dry and not overly flavorful, but the way the prepare it is absolutely stellar. Also, try the filet mignon meatballs - so good!Special Features:
- The following 27 reviews are from the Al Sospiro Trattoria reviews archive.
- A hidden gemGimmieDined on 6/18/2014We ate here on a week night, but there were several other tables filled. Attentive service. Interesting menu. Mussels in white wine and garlic were fantastic. More than enough for 2. I had seared tuna. It was excellent - cooked to perfection, moist, peppery. My husband had veal scallopini - very tasty, though not as tender as it could have been. Save room for dessert ! Well worth the calories!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A123Dined on 6/18/2014Great food - nice change of pace for Olney, MD. Small but that is what makes it charmingSpecial Features:
- Great food and servicejk132558Dined on 6/8/2014Excellent food. The grilled romaine salad is to die for. Small place, and we were waited on by the owner and his wife. It was perfect for the small gathering celebrating a family event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not good for the pricedimiVIPDined on 6/4/2014There are many restaurants in the area with much better food for the same price.
- Simple NO TasteFoodGuruVIPDined on 5/8/2014Well, first off...chairs are terribly uncomfortable. But let's forget that for the moment, and focus on the food. Simply no taste. I mean, really, even the olive oil served at the table, seriously....it had NO taste. That should have been a warning of what was to come. We both had pasta dishes, YES, they were huge, but who wants to eat bland, watery pasta. The sauces had NO taste - did I say that already??? Sorry, but I would not go back....besides being uncomfortable....we couldn't wait to get leave.....
- Never disappointed by thisOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/3/2014Never disappointed by this gem of a restaurant in Olney. A quiet restaurant which serves great food and has great service. Hard to find these days in the DC area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful, enthusiastic server!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/27/2014Delightful, enthusiastic server! Food was really really good----not the first time I've been here. Delicious wine. Great midway spot for me to meet friends from Montgomery County. Cute ambiance with murals on the wall. Ladies' Room was freezing, though clean enough. Check out the chocolate salami dessert---fabulous!Special Features:
- We have been to Al SospiroOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/23/2014We have been to Al Sospiro many times and it never disappoints. On the last visit we took an out of town guest who has traveled worldwide and is an experienced "foodie." She was not disappointed and was very complimentary of the food and service. The fact that owner and chef Antonio visits the dining room to chat with his guests is an extra added touch not found in many restaurants today. The homemade desserts add a special touchSpecial Features:
- Hidden TreasureKeithVIPDined on 2/23/2014Outstanding food, with some creative takes on old favoritesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal & ServiceOlneyEatsDined on 1/14/2014Don't be scared when you first walk in, the actual dining room is down in the basement. It has a very cozy feel, like it's tucked away in an 18th century building in Europe. The food was very good and Javier did an excellent job with the service. This is a very small restaurant, very few staff, great menu, food is excellently prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurant.LarryVIPDined on 11/10/2013Great neighborhood restaurant. Ample portions and reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Why you don't eat in the BurbsSMJ1949VIPDined on 11/7/2013Took friend to dinner on a Thursday night. I should have skipped it, when I found that the restaurant shared a building with Domino's. Walk in, and you're in an empty cold room. Go downstairs, where it's still cold, and the greeting is non-existent. Decent table. Very few diners, for obvious reasons. Excellent menu, but food does not live up to the menu. Barely adequate, but uneven service. Minestrone, lukewarm. Pasta with veal sauce, barely warmer. The reviews of the restaurant were very good, but I question if any of the reviewers had eaten there. Poor location. Unwelcoming atmosphere. Mediocre food and service. Eating in the burbs, at its worst. Don't bother!
- Gem in Montgomery CountyJoanieDined on 10/17/2013This tiny restaurant has wonderful food and a friendly atmosphere which makes this restaurant very popular with the locals in Olney. I've had the tuna steak a couple of times and loved it! Because of its size and popularity the noise level is a little high at times.Special Features:
- Amazing yet hiddenKateDined on 10/9/2013This amazing little Roman / Italian restaurant is shares a building with a commercial pizza place. Even walking into the first floor bar/lounge, you would never expect the delightful restaurant down a short staircase. The space is nice yet casual; the perfect place for a grown up evening out. The staff is relaxed yet very knowledgeable. I cannot wait for the next date night to go here again! And yes, the food is amazingly delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointed. I wouldcraigfbDined on 9/24/2013Never disappointed. I would come back solely for the grilled romaine salad, but the meals have been fantastic. My mouth stills waters at the thought of the swordfish with lemon and capers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food.MikeDined on 9/22/2013This little trattoria has been open a few years but I just got around to trying it. That was a mistake. I'll be back a lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an ImprovementMrBillDined on 9/18/2013My wife and I first went here probably two months after it opened and were not impressed. Last week we went back, this time with a coupon. What an improvement in this restaurant. There were three of us. The salads were exceptional, the entrees were delicious and the desserts were outstanding. We went on a Wednesday evening, so the restaurant was not crowded, but weekends are a different story. I complimented the chef as we were leaving and told him that we would definitely return, this time coupon or not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome little gem, best service!YesyDined on 9/8/2013Awesome food, great ambiance, best service in Olney. The only drawback is that it's too small for big groups, otherwise perfect. Try the lamb pork chop!Special Features:
- a good surprisefloraDined on 8/4/2013I don't go to Italian restaurants often because I am a carb-hating vegetarian. But I had a great meal here, with the grilled romaine salad and a side of cannellini beans (which I usually find boring, but these were subtle and delicious, cooked from dried beans). And how many places do you get to meet and chat with the chef? And have your first limoncello? What a great find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PriceyA123Dined on 7/24/2013Enjoyable but a little expensive for what you got.Special Features:
- Glad it wasn't my first visitOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 6/9/2013I'm glad this wasn't my first visit to this restaurant. Previous visits have been very enjoyable and the dishes were excellent. This time, it took over an hour from the time we ordered to the time we were served, the bread didn't arrive at the table for about 30 minutes, and my dish (pork tenderloin special) was somewhat dry and tough, though the flavor was good. My two dining companions liked their dishes better. One was pasta and one was fish. We will try again another time.
- We were a group of 6 and allOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/9/2013We were a group of 6 and all enjoyed our meals. Our only bad comment were the chairs. Very uncomfortable. Next time I'm bringing a large pillow to lean against.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem of a dining experience.MerryDined on 5/8/2013This gem of restaurant has the feel of family. The Owner Chef and his lovely wife have created an atmosphere and dining experience that you will want to return to time and again. It is tiny and the noise level is lively but you feel like you are in a room filled with friends who share your love of a good meal and a will pared wine. Enjoy.Special Features:
- Consistently Good ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/1/2013I'm italian and recommend this spot to anyone in the area who has yet to try it. Very authentic food. We try to go at least once a month. It's hard to stay away. Bucatini and the gnocchi are our faves. Try the lentil soup or filet mignon meatball appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Al Sospiro is a lovely neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/20/2013Al Sospiro is a lovely neighborhood restaurant with an interesting menu. Choices for everyone! The food was delicious.Special Features:
- This was our sixth visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/27/2013This was our sixth visit to the restaurant and all six have been very enjoyable. It is a family owned and run restaurant and the special touches are appreciated from the unique silverware to the hand made and painted espresso cups. The food is quite good and the menu for a small restaurant is representative. The deserts are 'homemade' and worth the extra calories. A very relaxing atmosphere with great food and attentive and friendly service.Special Features:
- Been there about a year agommmmVIPDined on 12/13/2012Been there about a year ago and enjoyed it. This time was disappointing. Pasta was hard, bread wasn't very good. People at another table were watching something on their phone and had the volume up very high.