Al Fresco Italian Restaurant
11710 Jefferson Avenue
Newport News, VA 23606Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Al Fresco Italian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.alfrescoitalianrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (757) 873-0644
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday : 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
A word from Al Fresco Italian Restaurant
Al Fresco Restaurant lets you feast on a bountiful array of Italian specialties. The outstanding menu, featuring pasta, chicken, veal and seafood, highlights a spectrum of lavish Italian specialties that are sure to please discriminating palates. Al Fresco Restaurant was planned with the summer in mind. An outdoor patio with a warm breeze and cold drinks are a perfect combination.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Al Fresco Italian Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Newport News ›
Al Fresco Italian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (22)neighborhood gem (21)romantic (16)notable wine list (11)good for groups (11)fit for foodies (9)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- VinnieSchweetDined on 11/1/2014Is the best! Service ~ old school impeccable! Love, love, love this resturant.Special Features:
- Fantastic restaurant!KrissyDined on 10/29/2014A Fresco is our families go to restaurant for special occasions. Great food and wonderful service!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mr and Mrs ThomanThomDined on 10/17/2014Our server Naomi from the time we entered the restaurant was so accommodating and helpful we so enjoyed her service. Food wad mouthwatering and delicious...will certainly make an attempt to visit again next time we are in Newport NewsSpecial Features:
- Delicious and Friendly Staffdining1Dined on 10/17/2014Had an 8 p.m. concert and the staff very efficiently got our food to us in and uncrushed and timely fashion.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/10/2014Outstanding dinner. Great atmosphere for conversation. Wait staff was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Outdated Italian RestaurantColeDined on 10/4/2014If you are looking for a retro Italian dining experience, Al Fresco is the place for you. The food was mediocre at best, mozzarella appetizer was way overcooked, the goat cheese ravioli was very heavy and the chicken parmesan was deep fried. The highlight of our experience was our waiter, he was outstanding; the best we've had in a long time.
- fair food12396Dined on 10/1/2014The atmosphere of the restaurant was perfect. the Wine list was great the only problem was the food was not of great quality it didn't have the wow factor. It was bland but the desert was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Place For Any OccasionJoseDined on 9/20/2014Food and service were excellent as always. Ronnie and Ella, our waitress, were delightful.....friendly, helpful and great to be with as always. Regards to Lenny and his humor and greeting as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a delicious dinner.BillyDined on 9/13/2014We discovered this fine restaurant during the aftermath of Hurricane Isabel when we lived in Poquoson. It was one of the few venues in the area that had electricity and the air-conditioning was so welcome as well as the great food. In order to help the "locals" they opened early during that time period. The wine list is extensive and they are one of the few restaurants around that actually knows how to make a DRY martini. We have since moved to Williamsburg and when the opportunity presents itself we almost always make a point to dine at Al Fresco. We booked this restaurant several years ago after we organized a group to attend a performance at Ferguson Center for the Arts. It is still a favorite for many of our friends. Great job!Special Features:
- Good Italian restaurantTolroyDined on 9/12/2014Very pleasant Italian restaurant. Our server was most efficient and helpful. Had the prawn and aubergine starters, the sauce with the prawns was particularly good. All the mains ,two veal dishes and linguini with seafood were good. The lobster ravioli was extremely good. All mains come with a side salad the meat dishes with pasta and they served focaccia bread. Enjoyed the Rioja wine by the glass, full flavoured with a slight fruit flavour. They have a covered patio. We don't know restaurant prices in the area but from our experience we found them very fair and good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for hereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Great Menu, service, ambiance. Italian food is average America Italian.. Sauce is much too sweet, lacks seasonings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our FavoritePattycarDined on 8/23/2014Love this place. We go almost every time we visit CNU. The food is absolutely delicious every time. We missed our usual sweet waiter though. We had a woman who was not very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT ITALIAN RESTAURANTusmileflhDined on 8/16/2014This was our first visit and it was GREAT. Service was GREAT! Our server was Ella and she was very friendly. We ordered the lasagna and they were big portions and terrific. Couldn't eat it all and had the rest for lunch the next day. When you are inside, it's hard to imagine the restaurant is located at the end of a shopping strip. I would recommend everyone to stop by and check it out for yourself.Special Features:
- Al Fresco ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Al Fresco is one of my favorite restaurants. The food is consistently good and the staff excellent, as is the atmosphere. Its a place I like to go for special occasions, such as the recent birthday of my daughter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Have been looking for a good place to dine before attending functions at The Ferguson Center and have found the hidden gem. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff, service was excellent and the food was great as well. The portion size for the amount you pay was very generous. Overall we had a great time and a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second Time better than the firstdarylpepageDined on 8/2/2014I took my girlfriend to AlFresco on our second date, it was great, but I was so focused on her that I didn't really appreciate how good the food was. I took her there for our 1 year anniversary and this time I really savored the food. I paid attention to her as well, but I have to admit there were times I had to ask her to repeat herself because the food was so good I kind of drifted off.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerChaseDined on 7/29/2014Great food. Disappointed they didn't have my reservation. Attention I would have liked on why wife didn't happenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 90 reviews are from the Al Fresco Italian Restaurant reviews archive.
- Al FrescoNNDinerDined on 7/15/2014Nice ambience, excellent food and service. Great for lunch or dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/16/2014One of my favorites. I brought a group of 12 out of town business associates here for dinner. Everyone enjoyed the food, the service, and the time together. Awesome, as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014food was good but over priced. portion size was ok but not for the price. the cheesecake didnt taste homemade like you would think it would be. bread was awesome! took awhile for the server to come over and great us. very dark, hard to see our food.Special Features:
- A Food ConnoisseurHappyDined on 5/11/2014The staff and owner were very hospitable. The service was excellent. The waitress continued to bring fresh bread. The food had a great presentation and was very delicious. The food was reasonably priced considering its quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Food and AmbianceTenaciousprlDined on 5/10/2014I hosted my graduation celebration with about 15 guests here and had a lovely experience. The kitchen seemed to run a tad slow with our food, however it proved worth the wait as everyone was happy with their meal. We also thoroughly enjoyed the wine list and appetizers. Our waitress was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantastichappygradDined on 5/10/2014Fatastic restaurant - best Italian food I have ever eaten! Chose this restaurant to celebrate my graduation from CNU. Our party consisted of 15 family and friends - everyone thought their meal was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014We went here for my graduation dinner and all the food we had was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodgoodeatsDined on 5/2/2014Food tended to be a little to salty. Service was very good and accomodating. Would recommend this place for special occasionsSpecial Features:
- LunchBeamerDined on 4/30/2014I brought my admin staff for lunch and we had a wonderful time. The staff was wonderful and friendly, our table was ready. I reserved it on line the morning of the luncheon no less. I enjoyed my meal, it was delicous. Thank you all so much.Special Features:
- Another Nice VistCarlDined on 4/27/2014A friend and I returned to Al Fresco for a "pre-show" dinner before a concert at the nearby Ferguson Center at Christopher Newport University in Newport News. We had a nice visit and a very good meal with timely service that allowed us to enjoy dinner and still get to the concert in a timely fashion. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent First ExperienceFoodieVIPDined on 4/21/2014Came in late one evening and was very graciously greeted. There was a large party still eatting and more came in afterwards. No one, especially the staff, seemed inconvenienced by the late arrivals. No wonder, the food was excellent. Had the Lobster Raviolli which was excellently cooked and seasoned. The filling was ample and shrimp in the cream sauce nice sized. Their bread was also excellent. Will definitely return the next time I'm in town.Special Features:
- Mostly greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/12/2014My penne alla vodka was out of this world. However, I found my father and sister's red sauce to be extremely salty. He did not come close to finishing his meal. The calamari was a bit too salty as well. Our server was incredible. He was extremely polite, polished and knowledgable about the wine list. I will likely return.Special Features:
- Best Italian in Tidewater VABusterDined on 4/4/2014The food brings you back. The wine list is adequate but not spectacular beyond their Italian bins. However, the wine prices are in line with the wine selections. I had the seafood & linguine and it was outstanding. The challenge to this dish is the varying cooking times for scallops, mussels, and shrimp. Getting these right and the dish assembled and delivered to table takes care and coordination between kitchen and servers. Doing this for a large group (there were two parties of 10 or more there when we went) takes masterful orchestration and a willingness for everyone to help, including the owner. He treats everyone as special and his affection is not an affectation.Special Features:
- Best Italian in Hampton RoadsJerseyDined on 3/28/2014As an Italian transplant from NJ, I have been searching for months (Oct 2013-March 2014) for a good Italian go-to restaurant. Finally I found one. They have generous portions, are reasonably priced and have a great wine list. My only complaint is that their tomato sauce is a bit sweet (I prefer a garlicky tomato sauce to a sweet one heavy on tomato paste). Everything we ordered was cooked perfectly and overall we were satisfied customers and will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placejimVADined on 2/28/2014Nice atmosphere and great service. Chicken parm could use a bit more garlic in the sauceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gastronomical delightdinedivaDined on 2/28/2014Italian rum cream cake is absolutely sublime! Seafood pasta dish was delectable. Server was prompt, courteous, knowledgeable of menu and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for ValentinesMumblesDined on 2/14/2014Al Fresco has terrific food and service. We loved the recommended Chianti. It was a perfect compliment to my Osso Bucco and my wife's lobster ravioli. We will go here again, but reserve it for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was like dining without8itupDined on 2/14/2014It was like dining without any work. I got a bottle of wine and never had to pour one glass. My server was very attentive. And the food was obviously cooked to order and not sitting on a warmer. Very fresh.Special Features:
- First time, not the last!NumsDined on 2/10/2014Great little spot. The owner was very talkative and greeted us at our table. Great wine list . Great food. Available seating for large parties. Cool paintings on the wall. Great atmosphere overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Service/kitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/25/2014Great food. Service/kitchen a little slow on the night we visited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold night warm receptionkayaklilDined on 1/25/2014Calamari arrived not too warm but very chewy. Server asked if we liked it , we said no, she brought another plate of it, but it still was "old tasting" and not up to what we thought it should be. Two of the Three dinners were good, mine was not. Our server was very gracious and helpful, but took some time getting to us with the main meal. We probably won't go back.
- Special OccasionconnoisseurDined on 1/19/2014Went to celebrate my sister's birthday. I had three people in my party. I checked in at the stand and had no issue; also was the first time I have used Open table. We were seated and the waitress that was serving us that night was very friendly and knowledgeable on the food. We had a few questions and she was kind enough to answer them all. The restaurant itself was nicely decorated nicely. The atmosphere was rather relaxed and casual; there were other diners that were talking among themselves but not so loud that one could hear there conversations. The food was delicious and brought out promptly. They did did give my sister a nice desert and wished her a happy birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceChuckaDined on 1/17/2014Impressed that the waitress noticed my wife's low call ordering and offered appropriate suggestions without any prompting. House wine was fine. Overall a good meal. Strip mall location not a good first impression but inside is fine; a bit crowded with tables very close together. Definitely not for a romantic quiet dinner.