Al Dente Restaurant
109 Salem St.
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Al Dente Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.aldenteboston.com/
- Phone: 6175230990
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:30am - 9:45pm, Friday and Saturday: 11:30am - 10:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from Al Dente Restaurant
Snuggled in the heart of the world famous North End, Al Dente Restaurant lets you feast on a bountiful array of Italian specialties. The outstanding menu, featuring pasta, chicken, veal and seafood, highlights a spectrum of lavish Italian specialties that are sure to please discriminating palates. The open kitchen lets you in on the action behind the superb dishes, and you'll enjoy their lavish fare amid a cozy, casual setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Al Dente Restaurant - Best Restaurants in North End ›
Al Dente Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
217 reviews since April 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (148)fit for foodies (71)special occasion (63)good for groups (37)romantic (34)great for lunch (29)kid-friendly (29)hot spot (28)notable wine list (14)late-night find (9)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/20/2014Not fussy or fancy just good traditional Italian with large portions. Had the fusili the risotto and the carbonara. All delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay, but not greatSusanDined on 8/18/2014I've been to Al Dente before, but my latest experience won't bring me back. The restaurant is very noisy. Our group of 4 had to yell to be heard over the other patrons so basic conversation was difficult. The meal took too long time to get to the table. In fact, several others around us who arrived after we did were served first. The waitress apologized and reported it would be one more minute, only to disappear for another 15 minutes. When asked about our meals at that point, she again apologized and said we would be served soon. Two plates were brought out and we had to wait for the other 2, while the meals turned cold. The waitress did not offer anything as a comp, not even a dessert. I'll try another North End restaurant next time.
- Out-of-state visitorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014The restaurant was recommended by another and we were told that it was way worth the trip form New Hampshire. She was so right and we were not disappointed. It was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comforting Italian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014Was very pleased with our trip to Al Dente. We found the staff to be very friendly, especially Angela. Feels very family like, small and filled with conversations all around. We had the lobster ravioli, which had a velvety creamy tomato sauce. Also had the eggplant lasagna, which was dense and cheesy and served with the best meatball I've ever had.Special Features:
- Food like my grandma used to makeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014The food at Al Dente was fantastic. The owner, Joe, was in the kitchen this night, but still found time to come and introduce himself to our table along with many other tables in the restaurant. Our server was from the neighborhood, and was excellent. We were a party of 5, and even though we were 15 minutes late for our reservation on a Saturday night, they seated us shortly. We chose not to order appetizers, which was the right move considering the size of the portions that they serve. My father had their homemade fussilini pasta with shrimp and scallops, and it was unbelievable. You can substitute their homemade fussilini with any other pasta dish and I would recommend. The ravioli, gnocchi and linguini shrimp/calamri were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Excellent food, excellent service in a nice neighborhood. Waited only a few minutes before our reserved table was ready. Had two young children who liked the place too. Highly recommend for authentic Italian food in the Boston area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bostons Excellent Italian.spoton2Dined on 8/14/2014My wife and myself enjoyed great lobster ravioli as an appetizer. Her veal parmesan was good not great, my chicken, broccoli and bow tie pasta dish was excellent. It was a quaint place with only about a dozen tables. We arrived about 15 early for our reservations without a hassle and we were seated in about 10 minutes even though the restaurant was experiencing a 45-60 minute wait. They bar was located in their sister restaurant next door but the drinks came out in a timely fashion. I actually thought that to be pretty cool to have the server go outside and walk next door to fetch our drinks. Our waitress was very good. When we go back to Boston we will definitely go back to Al Dente.
- Great Place In North EndSchawbyDined on 8/9/2014The food is always great and I have never been disappointed. The quality and quanties are excellent The servers are personable and a lot of fun. You feel like your part opf the family when you go there. Mike at the door runs the door and keeps you happy even if its a long wait. Be sure to make reservations and still plan on waiting as its a busy place. Its worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy Vibe and Good Food!SCdinerDined on 8/9/2014Reservations at 7pm but needed to wait outside until 7:35. It was a Saturday night and every good restaurant in the North End was packed. Once seated the service was excellent and the food came quickly. The Eggplant Parmesan, a chicken dish and the Alfredo was very good. It was crowded and noisy, best for eating and not group conversation. Prices good, food excellent! Recommended for very good Italian in the North End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waited 45 mins with a reservationredfacedDined on 8/9/2014This restaurant left an entire crowd (about 20 people all in separate parties) outside waiting even though everyone had reservations. Had to get the check as soon as the mediocre food arrived to make it out to a show I had pre purchased tickets to. Waited 10 minutes inside for waitress to show up and never received an apology. I was embarassed to bring a party of four here and will be sure to never visit again. Extremely disappointed with this restaurant and food was certainly not worth the ridiculous wait.
- Worth the tripBeachclubDined on 8/9/2014Outstanding food and service from beginning to end. Generous portions.... Definitely a little on the tight side and very energetic but I ended up actually liking thatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceBasilDined on 8/8/2014We had family in from out of town and wanted to give them a true North End experience and we go it here. It reminded me of the North End of years ago, starting with the straight talking host out front and continued with the sassy/friendly servers. Great prices and portions. From this one experince my nieces will carry on the tradition of going to the North End with their friends/families.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No place better!BeachwalkerVIPDined on 8/8/2014The place is small and noisy but it is like coming home! Like having a loving energetic relative serving you dinner. A dinner beyond delicious. We would never eat a morsel of food in the North End anywhere besides Al Dente. Dishes are plentiful and flavorful and you simply must finish every last bite because you will never find such incredible food anywhere else. Long Live,l Dente. And Michael and Angela and Marion!!Special Features:
- Annual fave for B-day celebrationLovetheNorthEndDined on 8/7/2014This is our 2nd time to Al Dente for our annual August birthday dinner for 4 of us in our family with August birthdays. The 2nd time was even better than the first. Our server, Marge, whom we also had the last time we went, is a terrific waitress, and couldn't be nicer. Everyone's food came out of the kitchen hot and fresh, from the Al Dente Special to Chicken Parm to Fried Calamari, everything was delicious! Portions are big, so plan to take some home. Definitely worth the trip, and we'll be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok food-services a bit questionableJulieVIPDined on 8/7/2014Food is fine, basic Italian, huge portions, so if you want a lot of food for your money this is your place No dessert . Problem with our check at the end. We all paid in cash. Big party so tip included and we added another $10. After the waitress took our money she came back and said we did not pay enough. $100 was missing. Two of us had counted it. Before we made a scene, they found the money, but very strange. $2.50 a person fee (times 8 of us) to bring cupcakes in and they don't even have dessert! Too loud. I would not go back.Special Features:
- Slightly disappointingCherrypieVIPDined on 8/6/2014Despite having a reservation, we had to wait on the street for 45 mins for our table. You are made to feel a little like they are doing you a favour finding space for you. I understand it's a small restaurant, but if you're going to do two sittings, you need to make sure that you allow time for the first set of diners to finish before scheduling the second set. Fig and goats cheese salad was delicious. Seafood Risotto a bit dry and the muscles weren't the best quality. Scallop and shrimp pasta with vodka sauce was tasty but i would have prefered linguine or spagetti instead of the think chewy fusilli that it was served with. Lobster ravioli was a highlight. Portions were huge and reasonably priced. I've had better in the North End.
- Dinner outT1gerDined on 8/6/2014The food was good, and my girlfriend and her daughters enjoyed it as well. I would recommend this place, for sure. I have to thank my son's friend for recommending this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumAllisonDined on 8/5/2014As always, I absolutely adore the food at this restaurant. It tastes so homemade and fresh. I am obsessed with the house-made fusilli pasta. The service, also as always, was a little hectic. Can't complain- the food overshadows the service any day in the North End!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved it!Meganhope1985VIPDined on 8/4/2014We loved our meal we went back again....the same day! The spinach crepes are amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mwlsVIPDined on 8/2/2014The best the North End has to offer. Noisy and crowded, but great food.
- Our favorite place in the North EndGot2GetAwayDined on 8/1/2014My wife and I drive 400 miles for their food. Not really, but it was our first stop after driving up from the Philly area. Owner is very personable and engaging. Wait staff is friendly. Their linguini and red sauce is to die for. Such a simple meal, but I was thinking of that the entire drive! Be sure to get reservations online!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely spot12345Dined on 7/31/2014Reserved a table on OpenTable, and really appreciated the restaurant calling to confirm. Ran a bit late, but called ahead and we were able to get a table when we got there. The place was cozy and had great food and wine. Not noisy at all so was able to hold a conversation without shouting across the table. Had a great time.Special Features:
- A Day Trip to ItalyWilWolfTour2014Dined on 7/30/2014If you want a little slice of rural Italy in the bustling North End then, Al Dente is the place for you. Small, informal this is a place where the waitresses look straight out of central casting they fit the place so well. The oil dipping sauce is devine and the food was spectacular. Portions are huge, so be prepared to bring some home. Price for lunch was in line with most other North End restaurants. Don't walk, run to Al Dente if you are in Boston.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/29/2014We are repeat visitors to Al Dente......every time we are there, we are greeted warmly and seated very close to our reserved time slot. Food esp. homemade fussilli is wonderful! It was enjoyed by my entire family. Service was great and love the ambiance. See you next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Impressedluv3dineDined on 7/29/2014The food was good, however, the ambiance was rowdy and there were several drunk groups in the restaurant that made conversation difficult. There were also too many tables for the space and it was hard to move without bumping into another table. The bread was cheap and served with prepackaged butter, and the wait staff looked overwhelmed for a large part of our meal.Special Features:
- greatames515Dined on 7/27/2014Friendly service and the food is to die for. Loved the bruschetta, Caesar salad, and raviolis. Will definitely come back to next time we're in BostonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good to the last dropLilyDined on 7/26/2014This was our first time there and we highly recommend making reservations! Even with reservations you will have to wait a bit, but it's worth it. The place is small & tightly packed but everyone is friendly and the food is worth a little bump from the people sitting right behind you. We had appetizers, salad& dinner and it was all delicious. The lemoncillo shot at the end of the meal was also a huge hit. (Ask for the olive oil mix with the bread. Then ask for more bread to finish off the sauce from your meal!) :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightCathyVIPDined on 7/26/2014Our first time at Al Dente and it was as good as all the reviews we had read! Great food and great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tedtedowskiVIPDined on 7/24/2014reasonable food and pricing. a bit loud. good family place.Special Features:
- food was really goodDebbiesaysDined on 7/23/2014food was delicious if this is the only reason you go to dine then this is a place for you. Parking is very difficult and be careful if you park in a resident parking spot your ticket will be $40. seating is a little tight so squeeze your tummy with all your might.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/23/2014We arrived, we ate well, we departed. The service was very good. The restaurant was packed with lively couples and families.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tender Veal DishesDoubleLLDined on 7/23/2014This restaurant has the most tender veal dishes. I have been eating here for my birthday for the past 6 years. It is always fabulous! I love all of them but my favorite is the Veal Valdostona - scallopini layered with prosciutto and mozzarella cheese with artichoke hearts and mushrooms in a marsala wine sauce.Special Features:
- Pleasant after ballgame mealhipeakDined on 7/20/2014We enjoyed the prompt service. Water and bread right away. Appetizers were good and were served promptly. Entrees were plentiful and delicious. We were time limited (had to catch a train), but thoroughly enjoyed our meal.Special Features:
- Lunch with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2014The food and service were amazing at Al Dente. Our waitress was super friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. She made the experience great and I loved the sausage cacciatore!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and great serviceKC15Dined on 7/19/2014My sister and I came here before a concert on a Saturday night. We had reservations and were seated just about on time. The host was very friendly and our waitress was awesome! The food was delicious! We were able to share a salad and dinner since the portions were so big! We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem in North EndJoyous61Dined on 7/19/2014Al Dente is a hidden gem on popular Salem Street in Boston's North End. Food, service and atmosphere is always consistently great. Staff is extremely nice, professional and caring and they operate the business with a lot of pride in their work. We love the Eggplant Rollatini appetizer, Caesar salad and any dish such as Pasta with Vodka Sauce or Chicken Saltimbocca. It is located across the street from a couple of more expensive Italian restaurants so the bonus is you get a great view & overall atmosphere of the area even when waiting in line for a table but you don't have to pay much higher prices for the same quality great food. Hint: Make reservations.Special Features:
- Great TimeNorthend51Dined on 7/18/2014Went to Al Dente on a Friday night--Michael (the host) was quick to seat us, and the service was outstanding all night. Pros: Outstanding food and service Generous pours of wine Very fair prices They're strict about reservations (which, as long as you plan ahead, can be a plus) Cons: Was fairly loud You may bump elbows with the table next to you (it is a tight space)Special Features:
- Al DenteBiscuitDined on 7/18/2014The food and ambiance of Al Dente are worth the time to visit and enjoy a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot in Boston's North End2eASY4mEDined on 7/16/2014Like many other North End restaurants, very small, very noisy, very tasty food, very friendly, good service, homemade pasta available. This one has consistently been a good choice and a favorite of ours for years. One of the closest to the "Parcel 7" parking garage at 136 Blackstone Street on the Boston side of the Greenway, and they will validate your parking ticket so you pay only $1 for up to two hours, or $3 for up to three hours, instead of the regular $16 or more.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/15/2014Excellent Traditional Food. I had the Veal and Eggpalnt Parm and it was very goodSpecial Features: