Al Dente Restaurant
109 Salem St.
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Al Dente Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.aldenteboston.com/
- Phone: 6175230990
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:30am - 9:45pm, Friday and Saturday: 11:30am - 10:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from Al Dente Restaurant
Snuggled in the heart of the world famous North End, Al Dente Restaurant lets you feast on a bountiful array of Italian specialties. The outstanding menu, featuring pasta, chicken, veal and seafood, highlights a spectrum of lavish Italian specialties that are sure to please discriminating palates. The open kitchen lets you in on the action behind the superb dishes, and you'll enjoy their lavish fare amid a cozy, casual setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Al Dente Restaurant - Best Restaurants in North End ›
Al Dente Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
210 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (146)fit for foodies (82)special occasion (56)good for groups (36)romantic (33)hot spot (30)kid-friendly (27)great for lunch (26)notable wine list (20)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (3)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- AlexDined on 9/27/2014Fantastic Italian food, especially the pasta with seafoodSpecial Features:
- Always a hit2ndTimerDined on 9/26/2014This restaurant consistently delivers outstanding food and excellent service. The staff has been here for years, and they get to know the guests and treat everybody like family. There are a lot of great restaurant's in Boston's North End, but this is the one where the staff is the most personable and the food is always outstanding.Special Features:
- Good stuffOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/23/2014The service was wonderful! Food outstanding and ambiance great. Could not have enjoyed dinner there more. Thanks.Special Features:
- Fantastic- will be backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014We had a fantastic time, the service was incredible. Our waitress was so friendly and gave excellent advice on the wine and chatted with us about our recent trip to Florence. Our entire experience took us back to Florence.Special Features:
- True Italian atmosphereJRAWDined on 9/18/2014Love this restaurant. Service was excellent and food was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice meal and reasonable pricejawsmacDined on 9/18/2014We had a group of seven get together for a evening in the North End. Al Dente is small but has a nice menu with reasonable prices. Small wine list. Everyone loved their dishes as we had pasta, seafood, chicken and veal entrees. Service was very good, although when I asked for cheese for my pasta I was handed a small dish. I noticed at another table they had fresh cheese applied to their meal as it should be. Maybe our waitress was busier. The restaurant is small and gets very boisterous when full. I didn't really notice any music playing, which is also usually a nice touch.Special Features:
- Great North End ValueOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/17/2014Great location, food, service and menu at reasonable prices. All the standard Italian dish options with some unique touches. Service prompt and did not feel rushed.Special Features:
- Good but...GoodbutDined on 9/15/2014The food was very good and the venue was lively before the Eagles concert that evening. I ordered veal piccata which was not on the menu and I wanted it served with a side of spaghetti marinara. I was served veal Milanese over spaghetti with a white wine sauce. While it was delicious it was not at all what I ordered. Had I known I would have ordered something else. The waitress made no attempt to compensate me for the error other than to say the kitchen was very busy???Special Features:
- reliable goodWAG4404VIPDined on 9/14/2014Food is very reliable and the servers are great! Portions are very large! We live in the neighborhood and go here oftenSpecial Features:
- Great as alwaysDBS1Dined on 9/14/2014Whenever we travel to Boston this is always our number one stop. The food choices are great and the food is excellent!! The entire staff is friendly and extremely efficient. Can't wait to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not returningJk6868wDined on 9/13/2014Way too many people in restaurant. Extremely loud. Our party of 8 sticking out in path of waitresses. Our waitress was very nice but hurried. Man in charge was a little rude. Food was just ok. Waiting for the rest of our party so we could be seated we were sent next door to a very crowded bar. Will not go back.
- The bestNorthendfavDined on 9/13/2014We love Al Dente. Their food is tops and always too much for one sitting. Joey and his staff are top shelf. It's like dining with family!Special Features:
- Nice but mediocre at bestleena104Dined on 9/12/2014We based this choice on yelp reviews. Food was good, not great. Appeared to be a popular spot in the North end of Boston with many people waiting. Living just outside of NYC, we are exposed to some of the best Italian cooking in the country. Therefore, we may be more critical than most. It was a fun place to go in Boston but not the best food. Our waitress was lovely and attentive. The acoustics are horrible, thus, if you are looking for quiet and romantic, I would suggest you look elsewhere. Overall, our dinner experience was fine to good.
- FabulousmoonreviewDined on 9/12/2014We went to Al Dente for the first time Friday night. There were seven of us, which is a lot for a small restaurant. Our server was friendly and great. Food was superb. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Awesomesdido62Dined on 9/7/2014The food was excellent, service top notch. It's a bit loud, but you come to expect that in the North End these days.Special Features:
- awesomeyummytummyDined on 9/7/2014My husband got the Alfredo and said it was the best he had ever! Also ask for the dipping sauce for the bread it is awesome. I had the special pumpkin ravioli it was to die for! Make a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in North EndnolaDined on 9/5/2014We found out about al Dente from a friend who previously visited Boston and we were not disappointed! The restaurant is small so definitely make reservations especially on a weekend night. The eggplant rollatini appetizer is amazing! Dinner portions are big so you can definitely split if you want. Veal Marsala and Veal Valentino were delicious. Service was great! Note that this is a rather loud restaurant but if that doesn't bother you definitely give it a shot, food is the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy little spot with characterRobotVIPDined on 9/1/2014This is quite a busy spot. Very noisy and lively. The waitresses and bus staff are spirited, friendly and spunky. The food is good: I got the fruiti Di mare and it had so many tiny mussels...really weird bc they were so small and comprised 80% of the dish. My wife got the shrimp and scallops vodka and complained the pasta was too thick. They were tasty though and so overall good. There was a drip from the ceiling which was disgusting and they should have apologized and owned up to it.
- Great Italian FoodStefReview52Dined on 9/1/2014We have been here many times, make a reservation though or you may wait a bit, not too long,but long enough if your hungry. Menu is very diversified and prices are right! I had the Chicken Milanese this time which is awesome, and so is the Chicken Ciaccatore. Service is quick and very efficient. The only downfall of this restaurant is the noise level. I wish they would install front windows that are open air like many of the other places in the North End. No doubt we will continue to frequent this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local GemSchawbyDined on 8/30/2014Never disappointed -fun place great food- priced right. Good variety huge portions. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and FastRichDined on 8/30/2014I chose Al Dente from online reviews as I visited Boston. We met another couple whom I haven't seen in many years to catch up. The food was superb. However, the noise level was so loud that I could not hear the person sitting directly across from me. Rather than a relaxxing dinner, there was 'rush service," and the four of us were in-and-out in under an hour. This totally negates the dining experience which should be relaxing and fun - not just a good entree.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant.LynneBVIPDined on 8/29/2014Highly recommend Al Dente as consistent food and great flavor. I can see why the Spaghetti Carbonara received the best in the North End - it was wonderful and a dish I would highly recommend. Food is great and Bryan is an excellent Waiter with great taste level and personality to always make lunch a great experience.Special Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Good food, service and reasonably priced. Too loud to have a discussion.Special Features:
- Amazing!FoodForFun82Dined on 8/26/2014The food is amazing, the service is wonderful. They made me feel like family! Be sure to make a reservation, but this is by far my favorite restaurant in the North End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Family Restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014Great food, huge portions, family owned...bustling scene outside passing by in the window. Fun and friendly place to get a great Italian food experience!Special Features:
- Great Dinner in Every WayWinfieldManVIPDined on 8/22/2014What you might expect of an energetic, top-notch Italian restaurant: great food, loud clamoring, personal service. But the owner took it a notch higher by accommodating a last-minute request from visiting friends & relatives (from Europe) who crashed our dinner and surprised the heck out of us. Made a great experience even greater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu, good food, very noisyEllenVIPDined on 8/22/2014Extensive menu, all of which looked delicious. Our appetizers and food was very good, especially the canollini and the sautéed calamari. Portions are huge so easy to split, and for a North End restaurant these days, the prices were reasonable. Our waitress was very friendly and accommodating, telling us to take our time ...despite it being a Friday night and a completely full restaurant with pele waiting on the street....(hooray for OpenTable!) The noise was the biggest problem, as it's a small place, was crowded, and and nothing to absorb the sound inside. Would be awesome on a less crowded night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!foodieVIPDined on 8/22/2014Everything was very good, both food and service. Menu has so many choices it was almost impossible to decide. Large portions. One of the better North End restaurants I've been tooSpecial Features:
- Great ItalianFdlver17Dined on 8/20/2014Not fussy or fancy just good traditional Italian with large portions. Had the fusili the risotto and the carbonara. All delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay, but not greatSusanDined on 8/18/2014I've been to Al Dente before, but my latest experience won't bring me back. The restaurant is very noisy. Our group of 4 had to yell to be heard over the other patrons so basic conversation was difficult. The meal took too long time to get to the table. In fact, several others around us who arrived after we did were served first. The waitress apologized and reported it would be one more minute, only to disappear for another 15 minutes. When asked about our meals at that point, she again apologized and said we would be served soon. Two plates were brought out and we had to wait for the other 2, while the meals turned cold. The waitress did not offer anything as a comp, not even a dessert. I'll try another North End restaurant next time.
- Out-of-state visitorGranite1Dined on 8/17/2014The restaurant was recommended by another and we were told that it was way worth the trip form New Hampshire. She was so right and we were not disappointed. It was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comforting Italian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014Was very pleased with our trip to Al Dente. We found the staff to be very friendly, especially Angela. Feels very family like, small and filled with conversations all around. We had the lobster ravioli, which had a velvety creamy tomato sauce. Also had the eggplant lasagna, which was dense and cheesy and served with the best meatball I've ever had.Special Features:
- Food like my grandma used to makeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014The food at Al Dente was fantastic. The owner, Joe, was in the kitchen this night, but still found time to come and introduce himself to our table along with many other tables in the restaurant. Our server was from the neighborhood, and was excellent. We were a party of 5, and even though we were 15 minutes late for our reservation on a Saturday night, they seated us shortly. We chose not to order appetizers, which was the right move considering the size of the portions that they serve. My father had their homemade fussilini pasta with shrimp and scallops, and it was unbelievable. You can substitute their homemade fussilini with any other pasta dish and I would recommend. The ravioli, gnocchi and linguini shrimp/calamri were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!WinnieDined on 8/16/2014Excellent food, excellent service in a nice neighborhood. Waited only a few minutes before our reserved table was ready. Had two young children who liked the place too. Highly recommend for authentic Italian food in the Boston area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bostons Excellent Italian.spoton2Dined on 8/14/2014My wife and myself enjoyed great lobster ravioli as an appetizer. Her veal parmesan was good not great, my chicken, broccoli and bow tie pasta dish was excellent. It was a quaint place with only about a dozen tables. We arrived about 15 early for our reservations without a hassle and we were seated in about 10 minutes even though the restaurant was experiencing a 45-60 minute wait. They bar was located in their sister restaurant next door but the drinks came out in a timely fashion. I actually thought that to be pretty cool to have the server go outside and walk next door to fetch our drinks. Our waitress was very good. When we go back to Boston we will definitely go back to Al Dente.
- Great Place In North EndSchawbyDined on 8/9/2014The food is always great and I have never been disappointed. The quality and quanties are excellent The servers are personable and a lot of fun. You feel like your part opf the family when you go there. Mike at the door runs the door and keeps you happy even if its a long wait. Be sure to make reservations and still plan on waiting as its a busy place. Its worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy Vibe and Good Food!SCdinerDined on 8/9/2014Reservations at 7pm but needed to wait outside until 7:35. It was a Saturday night and every good restaurant in the North End was packed. Once seated the service was excellent and the food came quickly. The Eggplant Parmesan, a chicken dish and the Alfredo was very good. It was crowded and noisy, best for eating and not group conversation. Prices good, food excellent! Recommended for very good Italian in the North End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waited 45 mins with a reservationredfacedDined on 8/9/2014This restaurant left an entire crowd (about 20 people all in separate parties) outside waiting even though everyone had reservations. Had to get the check as soon as the mediocre food arrived to make it out to a show I had pre purchased tickets to. Waited 10 minutes inside for waitress to show up and never received an apology. I was embarassed to bring a party of four here and will be sure to never visit again. Extremely disappointed with this restaurant and food was certainly not worth the ridiculous wait.
- Worth the tripBeachclubDined on 8/9/2014Outstanding food and service from beginning to end. Generous portions.... Definitely a little on the tight side and very energetic but I ended up actually liking thatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceBasilDined on 8/8/2014We had family in from out of town and wanted to give them a true North End experience and we go it here. It reminded me of the North End of years ago, starting with the straight talking host out front and continued with the sassy/friendly servers. Great prices and portions. From this one experince my nieces will carry on the tradition of going to the North End with their friends/families.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.