Al Dente Restaurant
109 Salem St.
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Al Dente Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.aldenteboston.com/
- Phone: (617) 523-0990
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:30am - 9:45pm, Friday and Saturday: 11:30am - 10:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from Al Dente Restaurant
Snuggled in the heart of the world famous North End, Al Dente Restaurant lets you feast on a bountiful array of Italian specialties. The outstanding menu, featuring pasta, chicken, veal and seafood, highlights a spectrum of lavish Italian specialties that are sure to please discriminating palates. The open kitchen lets you in on the action behind the superb dishes, and you'll enjoy their lavish fare amid a cozy, casual setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Al Dente Restaurant - Best Restaurants in North End ›
Al Dente Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
198 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (142)fit for foodies (76)special occasion (46)good for groups (36)romantic (29)kid-friendly (28)great for lunch (23)hot spot (23)notable wine list (20)late-night find (9)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- "The best of the best in the North End."ANortonDined on 11/22/2014Food and service was excellent. Consistently delicious home style Italian cooking with a personal friendly touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North End Gem!SaultyDined on 11/20/2014I've been here a number of times for anniversaries, bringing out of towner types and have been dining here since my early 20's the food never disappoints! What's great about this place is that it's everything you think of when the North End and food come to mind. No frills, just good service, food and conversation. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious and freshSharleyannDined on 11/19/2014We had a party of 4 the service was wonderful and the pasta was fresh! No parking so walk in. There is a parking lot on cooper just a block away. 20$ to park but worth every penny. Make sure to ask for the dipping sauce for your bread it's yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/18/2014Staff was friendly and had the feel of everyone was family running the restaurant together. The food was great with big portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not exceptionalTomDVIPDined on 11/16/2014I kind of expected more giving the ratings this place has, but we found items were hit and miss. The fig salad was great, but the calamari was limp and soggy with oil. The service was good so it wasn't a bad experience at all and it wasn't expensive so I might try it again just because the fig salad was that good and maybe there are other star quality items on the menu.
- Classic North End CharmOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014I spent ten days in Boston and planned to spend my last night in an authentic North End Italian restaurant and Al Dente did NOT disappoint! Great ambience, fantastic and personable staff, unlimited bread, and amazing Italian dishes! I had the carbonara and my brother had the Chicken Parmesan and both were absolutely delicious. Make sure to make a reservation well in advance if you have a time in mind for dinner - you will need it, the place is packed (because it's outstanding!). Thanks for a great meal on my last night in Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!AthenaDined on 11/11/2014Food is amazing, portions are huge! There was a wait outside the door the whole time. It's a good place to bring out of town visitors to impress them! Would recommend this restaurant in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceTRahDined on 11/11/2014Our server Bonnie was the best. The eggplant parm is done better than any others I've had in Boston so far (been here three years) and the complimentary shot of limoncello at the end of the meal was such a nice gesture on the part of the establishment. We did have to wait about 10-15 minutes for our table to be ready, but considering the reviews from other restaurants in the area, that's pretty quick. I'll be returning.Special Features:
- My favorite place!LindaDined on 11/9/2014The food and service make Al Dante a favorite place for our whole family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great but crammednorthendloverDined on 11/3/2014Food was great! Wont break the bank and parking is only costs me a dollar! Al Dente will validate. up to 3 hours for $3. Check their website for details. Restaurant was crammed but worth it. Make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining with FamilySustainableFanDined on 11/2/2014Took my wife here for her Birthday, and loved it. Huge portions of delicious food served by the most genuine and hospitable servers that we have met since moving to Boston. We felt like we were eating with our family at Sunday dinner, so it was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Debatably worth the waitoddlyDined on 11/1/2014The food was quite good - I had the gnocchi while a friend had the lobster ravioli. The wine was excellent as well. The restaurant was too crowded and noisy, but had a solid Italian vibe. My real complaint was with the wait. I expect a reservation to mean we will be seated within a few minutes of arriving. Not only did I make a reservation, but they checked in with me twice to be sure I was coming. Then we had to wait outside in cold rain for 20 minutes for a spot to open up. In short, the price was worth it for the food, but not the service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, atmosphere and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014We arrived a few minutes early for our reservations, which are a must on a weekend night. The place was bustling and small but we were seated in about 10 minutes. Service was attentive and the food was delicious and reasonably priced with a vibrant atmosphere. I would definitely eat here again. It seemed like a lot of locals were dining here on a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family FavoriteFredDined on 11/1/2014We have been coming to Al Dente for years! Every time we walk past other restaurants and see people waiting outside, we laugh. They are waiting for higher prices and less flavor. Our waitress Angella has become a family friend. I never have to order, she always remembers my meal (even though we only get there 3-4 times a year). The owner (Joe) is so friendly and great to see him roll up his sleeves if he needs to help in the kitchen. Great friendly, tasty spot!Special Features:
- Wonderful little italian restaurantSeafood98074Dined on 10/27/2014Very cute little italian restaurant, great food, generous portions and superb service! Highly recommend!Special Features:
- North End at its best!ItaliancheeseloverDined on 10/26/2014We love Al Dente!! We have eaten there several times at the reccomendation of a friend. The menu has lots to choose from. The food is ALWAYS fresh and delicious!! The space is casual and relaxed. Great service, and the wait staff are always pleasant. We have brought both friends and visiting family there and they always come away full and completely satisfied. If your looking for a great North End experience give Al Dente a try. You won't be dissappointed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Go-To North End RestaurantnorthendmomDined on 10/25/2014For a real 'local' feel, and DELICIOUS food in a casual environment, Al Dente is a must. I love their eggplant rollatini appetizer - I often order it with pasta as my main course. Fried calamari is to die for - new oil for each guest. I've never been disappointed there with any of the dishes, and good wine menu as well. My son loves the mussels - lobster ravs are good - it's all good! Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeFranz317Dined on 10/25/2014Great place, great food will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- blondebombvtDined on 10/25/2014Delicious Food and a fun atmosphere, great service! Would definitely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and fun atmosphereLuvGoodFoodDined on 10/25/2014I went to this restaurant on a Friday night with two friends. We enjoyed ourselves (great service - very friendly wait staff) but I would give the food 3 stars out of 5. The appetizers were good (caprese salad and pumpkin ravioli (delicious)) but my friend was not overly pleased with her Veal Valentino. Overall, I would recommend this restaurant as a fun place to go with a group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/24/2014Al Dente had excellent food and the service was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great italian!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/24/2014Excellent italian in the north end. Tables are cozy, service was very friendly and food was delicious! Recommend vodka pasta with shrimp and scallops-- sauce was amazing and pasta was delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!finedinerDined on 10/21/2014Always lines out the door. Great food, huge portions, friendly service. No dessert available at this place but you won't have room for it anyway! Definitely a new favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Italian fare!KristenVIPDined on 10/21/2014Delicious! This place was recommended to me by a friend and then I saw all the positive reviews and high star ratings, so I had to go! Their bolognese sauce was amazing... you can eat it by itself! The homemade gnocci was outstanding! The servings are huge... really, plan on leftovers. Susan was my server & she was outstanding! I can't wait to return with an empty stomach and with lots of friends so we can try more of the wonderful food! Get there!Special Features:
- Great Italian Restaurant!GyllekDined on 10/18/2014This is my go-to restaurant in the North End. Consistently excellent food and very friendly service! I have never had a dish that I didn't like. The only reason I give it 4 stars is due to the fact that despite having a reservation, my party and I still ended up waiting outside for almost an hour. It was a busy weekend, but this has happened to us before; however, the food is worth the wait!I would recommend this to a friend.
- didnt even make it into restaurantrjckDined on 10/18/2014we had 730 pm reservations via open table. we arrived at the restaurant and there was a huge line outside. the door to the restaurant was closed with a sign saying please wait to be seated. the maitre d came to the door and stuck his head out. i told him we had a reservation for 730 pm and he asked my name several times - he said do you see the line out there and when i said yes, he told me to wait on it. we walked across the street and had a lovely meal at L'Osteria after waiting about 20 minutes. we do not tolerate rudeness
- SarahMVIPDined on 10/17/2014Spinach crepe and shrimp/scallops with vodka were fabulous. Our server, Andrea was delightful and helpful. Food was fabulous and the place was hoppin. Loved the charm. We had reservations and were seated right on time.Special Features:
- disappointing this timeinvitingVIPDined on 10/14/2014I took my husband here for the first time and boasted about it. We had changed our res for one hour later and they never checked the computer so our table was given away. Luckily one of the servers stepped in and directed the hostess to find us another table. The food was great as usual. Service was pretty good. They totally forgot my request for a surprise birthday dessert for my husband and we never got the complimentary lemoncello we'd seen served whenever customers finished dinner. Since this was a special occasion we were very disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealCathyVIPDined on 10/13/2014Was our second visit to Al Dente. The restaurant is ALWAYS PACKED and there is ALWAYS A LINE! The food was great again and our waitress was terrific; fun, friendly and attentive. We'll go back again because of the good food, good service, and good family dining experience. .Special Features:
- Made us wait with a reservationLolaDined on 10/11/2014The place is tiny and crowded. Food and service are good. The problem was that they made us wait almost 30 min even when we had a reservation at 7:30 pm. I went with my mom so it was just a two people party. What is the use of having a reservation if I have to wait half an hour in the street anyways?
- Never Disappoints2ndTimerVIPDined on 10/11/2014This is a North End favorite for our family. The menu is extensive, and all the various dishes are outstanding. You can come time and again without ever ordering the same thing and always feeling like you were servced a special dish. It is very much a home-like environment where the staff always treat you like family. We have never been disappointed in a meal at this restaurant. It is always the place we bring out of town guests for a sampling of great Boston North End cooking.Special Features:
- Great Italian FoodtravelmomDined on 10/10/2014This restaurant came recommended from a friend and did not disappoint. It was small and very full on a Saturday night. We were late for our reservations, but were accommodated within 20 minutes. Our waitress was very nice and patient with all our questions. The food was amazing and very fresh. If you enjoy good, homemade, authentic Italian food, this place was great!Special Features:
- Excellent food, casual and funOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/6/2014I love the North End and being Italian I always judge food based on my grandmother's cooking. Al Dente is small, crowded and casual, like many NE establishments; thats what makes it the NE. The food was fantastic, the menu quite diverse, portions large for the quality - I was shocked. Had a wonderful waitress - Angela; she was very casual yet offered excellent service. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiny and noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014The food was good but not better than others around. The size and hard surfaces made the room so noisy you could not talk.
- Family cookingRyan86VIPDined on 10/5/2014It's like your family is not only serving you but cooking for you...they make it feel like you're just at a family member's house eatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A NorthEnd FavoriteMetroWestVisitorDined on 10/5/2014When I visit Boston to attend events at the TD Garden, my first stop will be Al Dente. The food is the best of the best along with the waitstaff who make you feel like family. I will continue to dine at Al Dente during my visits to Boston's North End.Special Features:
- Thank You!mass495Dined on 10/5/2014Our group of 12 was well taken care of by our server, Bonnie, who treated us with warm professionalism, and was charming. The food was wonderful, and arrived at the table piping hot with nice eye appeal. To dish out 12 meals simultaneously is a challenge, but it was done w/ out a hitch. Feedback from our guests was all positive, and all had a fun time. A North End gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageMMGPDined on 10/4/2014The food was average, definitely filled me up but not something to write home about. Portions were huge so consider sharing!! Also, the restaurant is extremely loud! Don't eat here if you want to be able to hear yourself think.
- Delicious food!!!IrishItalian19Dined on 10/4/2014First time here after getting several recommendations from friends...Our dinners were amazingly delicious, huge portions: shrimp scampi: best we've ever had! Chicken, penne, broccoli: yum! Eggplant & chicken parm were great as well! Our waitress was fantastic! Celebrated daughter's 16th bday & staff came & sang to her! Will be returning agin& again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old school North EndBostonDanDined on 10/3/2014Small, crowded, great red sauce Italian. Felt like I was at an Italian relatives dinner. Pasta was good, red sauce good, chicken marsala was good. Huge portions!Special Features: