Al Dente Restaurant
109 Salem St.
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Al Dente Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.aldenteboston.com/
- Phone: 6175230990
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:30am - 9:45pm, Friday and Saturday: 11:30am - 10:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from Al Dente Restaurant
Snuggled in the heart of the world famous North End, Al Dente Restaurant lets you feast on a bountiful array of Italian specialties. The outstanding menu, featuring pasta, chicken, veal and seafood, highlights a spectrum of lavish Italian specialties that are sure to please discriminating palates. The open kitchen lets you in on the action behind the superb dishes, and you'll enjoy their lavish fare amid a cozy, casual setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Al Dente Restaurant - Best Restaurants in North End ›
Al Dente Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
218 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (153)fit for foodies (86)special occasion (52)good for groups (38)hot spot (32)romantic (29)kid-friendly (27)great for lunch (26)notable wine list (21)late-night find (10)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Yum!finedinerDined on 10/21/2014Always lines out the door. Great food, huge portions, friendly service. No dessert available at this place but you won't have room for it anyway! Definitely a new favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian Restaurant!GyllekDined on 10/18/2014This is my go-to restaurant in the North End. Consistently excellent food and very friendly service! I have never had a dish that I didn't like. The only reason I give it 4 stars is due to the fact that despite having a reservation, my party and I still ended up waiting outside for almost an hour. It was a busy weekend, but this has happened to us before; however, the food is worth the wait!I would recommend this to a friend.
- didnt even make it into restaurantrjckDined on 10/18/2014we had 730 pm reservations via open table. we arrived at the restaurant and there was a huge line outside. the door to the restaurant was closed with a sign saying please wait to be seated. the maitre d came to the door and stuck his head out. i told him we had a reservation for 730 pm and he asked my name several times - he said do you see the line out there and when i said yes, he told me to wait on it. we walked across the street and had a lovely meal at L'Osteria after waiting about 20 minutes. we do not tolerate rudeness
- SarahMVIPDined on 10/17/2014Spinach crepe and shrimp/scallops with vodka were fabulous. Our server, Andrea was delightful and helpful. Food was fabulous and the place was hoppin. Loved the charm. We had reservations and were seated right on time.Special Features:
- disappointing this timeinvitingVIPDined on 10/14/2014I took my husband here for the first time and boasted about it. We had changed our res for one hour later and they never checked the computer so our table was given away. Luckily one of the servers stepped in and directed the hostess to find us another table. The food was great as usual. Service was pretty good. They totally forgot my request for a surprise birthday dessert for my husband and we never got the complimentary lemoncello we'd seen served whenever customers finished dinner. Since this was a special occasion we were very disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealCathyVIPDined on 10/13/2014Was our second visit to Al Dente. The restaurant is ALWAYS PACKED and there is ALWAYS A LINE! The food was great again and our waitress was terrific; fun, friendly and attentive. We'll go back again because of the good food, good service, and good family dining experience. .Special Features:
- Made us wait with a reservationLolaDined on 10/11/2014The place is tiny and crowded. Food and service are good. The problem was that they made us wait almost 30 min even when we had a reservation at 7:30 pm. I went with my mom so it was just a two people party. What is the use of having a reservation if I have to wait half an hour in the street anyways?
- Never Disappoints2ndTimerVIPDined on 10/11/2014This is a North End favorite for our family. The menu is extensive, and all the various dishes are outstanding. You can come time and again without ever ordering the same thing and always feeling like you were servced a special dish. It is very much a home-like environment where the staff always treat you like family. We have never been disappointed in a meal at this restaurant. It is always the place we bring out of town guests for a sampling of great Boston North End cooking.Special Features:
- Great Italian FoodtravelmomDined on 10/10/2014This restaurant came recommended from a friend and did not disappoint. It was small and very full on a Saturday night. We were late for our reservations, but were accommodated within 20 minutes. Our waitress was very nice and patient with all our questions. The food was amazing and very fresh. If you enjoy good, homemade, authentic Italian food, this place was great!Special Features:
- Excellent food, casual and funOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/6/2014I love the North End and being Italian I always judge food based on my grandmother's cooking. Al Dente is small, crowded and casual, like many NE establishments; thats what makes it the NE. The food was fantastic, the menu quite diverse, portions large for the quality - I was shocked. Had a wonderful waitress - Angela; she was very casual yet offered excellent service. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiny and noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014The food was good but not better than others around. The size and hard surfaces made the room so noisy you could not talk.
- Family cookingRyan86VIPDined on 10/5/2014It's like your family is not only serving you but cooking for you...they make it feel like you're just at a family member's house eatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A NorthEnd FavoriteMetroWestVisitorDined on 10/5/2014When I visit Boston to attend events at the TD Garden, my first stop will be Al Dente. The food is the best of the best along with the waitstaff who make you feel like family. I will continue to dine at Al Dente during my visits to Boston's North End.Special Features:
- Thank You!mass495Dined on 10/5/2014Our group of 12 was well taken care of by our server, Bonnie, who treated us with warm professionalism, and was charming. The food was wonderful, and arrived at the table piping hot with nice eye appeal. To dish out 12 meals simultaneously is a challenge, but it was done w/ out a hitch. Feedback from our guests was all positive, and all had a fun time. A North End gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageMMGPDined on 10/4/2014The food was average, definitely filled me up but not something to write home about. Portions were huge so consider sharing!! Also, the restaurant is extremely loud! Don't eat here if you want to be able to hear yourself think.
- Delicious food!!!IrishItalian19Dined on 10/4/2014First time here after getting several recommendations from friends...Our dinners were amazingly delicious, huge portions: shrimp scampi: best we've ever had! Chicken, penne, broccoli: yum! Eggplant & chicken parm were great as well! Our waitress was fantastic! Celebrated daughter's 16th bday & staff came & sang to her! Will be returning agin& again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old school North EndBostonDanDined on 10/3/2014Small, crowded, great red sauce Italian. Felt like I was at an Italian relatives dinner. Pasta was good, red sauce good, chicken marsala was good. Huge portions!Special Features:
- Fantastic and creative!!!MjkavDined on 10/1/2014Many great Italian restaurants in the neighborhood, but this is a must!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlexDined on 9/27/2014Fantastic Italian food, especially the pasta with seafoodSpecial Features:
- Great Italian restaurant!Dinner42Dined on 9/27/2014This restaurant was recommended by a friend. My husband and I went with another couple to celebrate our anniversary. We had such a great time. The food was delicious and our waitress was fun! I would definitely recommend to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a hit2ndTimerVIPDined on 9/26/2014This restaurant consistently delivers outstanding food and excellent service. The staff has been here for years, and they get to know the guests and treat everybody like family. There are a lot of great restaurant's in Boston's North End, but this is the one where the staff is the most personable and the food is always outstanding.Special Features:
- Good stuffOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/23/2014The service was wonderful! Food outstanding and ambiance great. Could not have enjoyed dinner there more. Thanks.Special Features:
- Fantastic- will be backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014We had a fantastic time, the service was incredible. Our waitress was so friendly and gave excellent advice on the wine and chatted with us about our recent trip to Florence. Our entire experience took us back to Florence.Special Features:
- True Italian atmosphereJRAWDined on 9/18/2014Love this restaurant. Service was excellent and food was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice meal and reasonable pricejawsmacDined on 9/18/2014We had a group of seven get together for a evening in the North End. Al Dente is small but has a nice menu with reasonable prices. Small wine list. Everyone loved their dishes as we had pasta, seafood, chicken and veal entrees. Service was very good, although when I asked for cheese for my pasta I was handed a small dish. I noticed at another table they had fresh cheese applied to their meal as it should be. Maybe our waitress was busier. The restaurant is small and gets very boisterous when full. I didn't really notice any music playing, which is also usually a nice touch.Special Features:
- Great North End ValueOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/17/2014Great location, food, service and menu at reasonable prices. All the standard Italian dish options with some unique touches. Service prompt and did not feel rushed.Special Features:
- Good but...GoodbutDined on 9/15/2014The food was very good and the venue was lively before the Eagles concert that evening. I ordered veal piccata which was not on the menu and I wanted it served with a side of spaghetti marinara. I was served veal Milanese over spaghetti with a white wine sauce. While it was delicious it was not at all what I ordered. Had I known I would have ordered something else. The waitress made no attempt to compensate me for the error other than to say the kitchen was very busy???Special Features:
- reliable goodWAG4404VIPDined on 9/14/2014Food is very reliable and the servers are great! Portions are very large! We live in the neighborhood and go here oftenSpecial Features:
- Great as alwaysDBS1Dined on 9/14/2014Whenever we travel to Boston this is always our number one stop. The food choices are great and the food is excellent!! The entire staff is friendly and extremely efficient. Can't wait to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not returningJk6868wDined on 9/13/2014Way too many people in restaurant. Extremely loud. Our party of 8 sticking out in path of waitresses. Our waitress was very nice but hurried. Man in charge was a little rude. Food was just ok. Waiting for the rest of our party so we could be seated we were sent next door to a very crowded bar. Will not go back.
- The bestNorthendfavDined on 9/13/2014We love Al Dente. Their food is tops and always too much for one sitting. Joey and his staff are top shelf. It's like dining with family!Special Features:
- Nice but mediocre at bestleena104Dined on 9/12/2014We based this choice on yelp reviews. Food was good, not great. Appeared to be a popular spot in the North end of Boston with many people waiting. Living just outside of NYC, we are exposed to some of the best Italian cooking in the country. Therefore, we may be more critical than most. It was a fun place to go in Boston but not the best food. Our waitress was lovely and attentive. The acoustics are horrible, thus, if you are looking for quiet and romantic, I would suggest you look elsewhere. Overall, our dinner experience was fine to good.
- FabulousmoonreviewDined on 9/12/2014We went to Al Dente for the first time Friday night. There were seven of us, which is a lot for a small restaurant. Our server was friendly and great. Food was superb. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Awesomesdido62Dined on 9/7/2014The food was excellent, service top notch. It's a bit loud, but you come to expect that in the North End these days.Special Features:
- awesomeyummytummyDined on 9/7/2014My husband got the Alfredo and said it was the best he had ever! Also ask for the dipping sauce for the bread it is awesome. I had the special pumpkin ravioli it was to die for! Make a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in North EndnolaDined on 9/5/2014We found out about al Dente from a friend who previously visited Boston and we were not disappointed! The restaurant is small so definitely make reservations especially on a weekend night. The eggplant rollatini appetizer is amazing! Dinner portions are big so you can definitely split if you want. Veal Marsala and Veal Valentino were delicious. Service was great! Note that this is a rather loud restaurant but if that doesn't bother you definitely give it a shot, food is the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy little spot with characterRobotVIPDined on 9/1/2014This is quite a busy spot. Very noisy and lively. The waitresses and bus staff are spirited, friendly and spunky. The food is good: I got the fruiti Di mare and it had so many tiny mussels...really weird bc they were so small and comprised 80% of the dish. My wife got the shrimp and scallops vodka and complained the pasta was too thick. They were tasty though and so overall good. There was a drip from the ceiling which was disgusting and they should have apologized and owned up to it.
- Great Italian FoodStefReview52Dined on 9/1/2014We have been here many times, make a reservation though or you may wait a bit, not too long,but long enough if your hungry. Menu is very diversified and prices are right! I had the Chicken Milanese this time which is awesome, and so is the Chicken Ciaccatore. Service is quick and very efficient. The only downfall of this restaurant is the noise level. I wish they would install front windows that are open air like many of the other places in the North End. No doubt we will continue to frequent this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local GemSchawbyDined on 8/30/2014Never disappointed -fun place great food- priced right. Good variety huge portions. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and FastRichDined on 8/30/2014I chose Al Dente from online reviews as I visited Boston. We met another couple whom I haven't seen in many years to catch up. The food was superb. However, the noise level was so loud that I could not hear the person sitting directly across from me. Rather than a relaxxing dinner, there was 'rush service," and the four of us were in-and-out in under an hour. This totally negates the dining experience which should be relaxing and fun - not just a good entree.Special Features: