1 Yesler Way
Seattle, WA 98104Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.seattleslittleitaly.com/al_boccalino.htm
- Phone: 2066227688
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner:7 days a week: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Luigi De Nunzio
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Chef's Table, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We do wedding receptions,business lunches,private dinners and private cooking classes.
- Private Party Facilities: We cater our menus for your budget.
- Private Party Contact: Luigi 2066227688
A word from Al Boccalino
We have a small,intimate Italian restaurant that features both old world classics and contemporary Italian cuisine. We make our own pastas and desserts. Our wine list is Italian and very reasonable. We offer cooking classes,catering and private parties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Al Boccalino reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (18)fit for foodies (15)romantic (14)special occasion (13)good for groups (6)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014this was the best experience I've ever had. The chef Luigi was amazing and prepped the meal on the spot. If it wasn't in the menu he did ask you what you like and make it for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have given it two tries, no moreHappy2Dined on 8/17/2014The soup was so greasy I couldn't eat it, said it was beans and pork cheeks. Looked like raw bacon just tossed in. The pasta with bacon had no flavor, also very greasy.
- great food, closed early?Fleta1Dined on 8/14/2014We had a groupon, and although the menu was limited, it was still a great value. The house wine, however, was flat and not impressive. Additionally, the restaurant seemed to close at 9pm (?!) and we felt rushed out the door. Listening to the cooking classes in the kitchen was very cool, though, and the food was truly fantastic.Special Features:
- PerfectDupontDined on 8/7/2014Authentic, great atmosphere. Owner came around to each table to ensure everyone was having a great time. Food was soooo good! The ingredients were fresh and put together so well. This is a must visit if you are in or near Seattle.Special Features:
- Very Poor ServiceHonestDinerVIPDined on 8/5/2014We dined on a groupon deal, and you could tell from the start that they seriously do not value any customer that does so. We were seated by the owner, and immediately asked if we had any promotions... as soon as we told him groupon, he was gone! The waitress took our order, but then 30 minutes later another waiter came to take our order again. Apparently, the first waitress never turned in our order at all! When the food did arrive, it was ok.. nothing special, but good flavors. There were bugs and spiders in the place and it sems as if it is on the verge of closing down... very dirty space. Definitely will not be back!
- AwesomeSammyjoDined on 7/30/2014This was one of the best restaurants I have ever been to. I love the way luigi served the food family style. The food was amazing. It tasted like my mother was making it at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderful...damandoliDined on 7/22/2014The food is always freshly made to order. The Groupon meal has always been so great! We always add something to it..this time caprese. So good!Special Features:
- Disappointed!HappyDined on 7/18/2014We went back with a Groupon, stood at the door for 10 minutes while they ran around trying to get thing set up (we were actually a few minutes ate on a reservation, and had called to tell them we would be a tad late). No one even acknowledged us, except to say "Two?" we said yes, they looked past us to another couple who were there for a cooking class and seated immediately). When my husband finally had had enough, I looked to tell someone we were leaving and to cancel the reservation, but couldn't find anyone so I gave up too.Won't be back.
- How dining should beFarmhouseFoodieDined on 7/12/2014This was our first visit, but will certainly NOT be our last. After being greeted by the sommelier and explaining that a friend had suggested we go the unconventional route (the unlisted tasting menu), Luigi quickly appeared and introduced himself. As expected, he simply asked, "Do you want me to bring you some food?" Indeed - and we wanted him to surprise us with deliciousness. He asked if there was anything we didn't like and then he was off to the kitchen. Each of the 5 sensational courses were timed perfectly and never rushed. It was almost as if Luigi was watching us to see if we were still hungry or slowing down. It was the first time we left an Italian restaurant feeling perfectly satisfied but not over-full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CluelessLovetogrubDined on 7/8/2014The food was excellent, the chef should have come out to take our orders, he was the only one that seemed to know was going on. The service was horrific. Wait staff was clueless. They didn't know the menu at all. Would never go back.Special Features:
- Restaurant Review Al Boccalino'shuskyfanDined on 6/25/2014We are from Portland. We visited the Pioneer Square area for the first time in many years in the fall of 2012 when Husky football was played in the Seahawks' stadium. We discovered Al Boccalino's then and have returned numerous times. The food is always terrific.Special Features:
- prix fixe in a fixpattitDined on 6/21/2014Not much that we like as options. Therefore not happy to start. Food when received and received quickly (as in too fast) was mediocre. In the background was the owner supposedly teaching. not a pleasant background. Once they found we were discount diners we received the kmart version in the speed zone to turn our table and do the same to next prix fix. It is off the beaten path so rather than excel at what they do they have decided to go for quantity - not quality. Even at half price it was no bargain. Decor only thing it had going that night.
- old-world charmDaltonDined on 6/17/2014luigi is the real dizzle. experience little italy in the heart pioneer square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second Class CitizensShsuDined on 6/14/2014Have a groupon or similar coupon deal? Prepare to feel like an unwanted but necessary evil. The owner came and chatted with those people who did not have a coupon, while the rest of us were shunned. You don't get as many choices for food as the full price customers, and adding up the total, it doesn't even come close to the full value advertised. Oh yeah....they also add the tip even for a party of two, although it didn't seem like the full amount. I'm sorry, but on principle I don't add extra tip when restauants do this. We came to try out the restaurant for a later time, but were turned off by the experience. Food was okay, though, so if that is all you care about, give it a try.
- Nice little restaurant...kinnikinikDined on 6/13/2014the food was excellent. My only complaint is that our appetizer arrived at the same time as our main dishes so, I ended up eating it for bfast the next morning... not a terrible outcome but it would have made for of a quiet relaxed dinner to have an appetizer and conversation, followed by a main dish... Otherwise, was nice. Quality Italian food. The cooking classes sound really fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PricyDYNKDined on 6/7/2014Enjoyed the atmosphere. Food was good. We were a bit shocked at the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- biscuitDined on 6/6/2014The menu they had is not the menu that we looked at online. Must more expensive and we wouldn't have gone.Special Features:
- An Excellent Find!!!JP6669Dined on 5/31/2014Such an amazing restaurant experience. I ate there recently and sat across from the proprietor of another local venue and felt confident that this was a virtual seal of approval. The restaurant itself is very cozy and reminiscent of establishments in Europe so it's very fitting. The food is top shelf and the service excellent. I tried it and am coming back for the cooking class!Special Features:
- Awesome eveningGigsyandLJDined on 5/31/2014We came up from Portland to go to a Mariners game at Safeco field. We didn't know where to go for dinner so picked a restaurant that was on our way (walking from hotel) to the game. We have the Passport Unlimited card and selected this place because of its location and our confidence in the card's participating restaurants. We went to their website to check it out and was able to get a reservation quickly and for the time we wished. It all worked great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive for mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/9/2014Three of us thought the food was so-so and the price was on the high side for basic Italian food. A $32.00 bottle of wine served in a carafe, so who knows what it came out of, was tasted like a $6.00 wine. We asked for brad and was charged $8.00 and an 18% tip was added to the bill -- unusual for a party of three. We are disinclined to return.
- Rustic and Quiet and CozyPriceyItalianDined on 5/4/2014not much of view to look at outside but while being inside, ambiance is cozy; wine tasted good; foods well prepared; and you are left alone to enjoy your company. Foods are pricey but you do this once in a long while, it won't break your bank. This is a place you will want to try at least once and will cause you decide whether or not you want to return to this place. It won't break my heart if I don't come back to this place but you can say to others you have been there.Special Features:
- Bad serviceKNeillDined on 4/29/2014Made a reservation on OpenTable and the restaurant wasn't even open for dinner! We got down there and waited 5 minutes for someone to acknowledge us and when they finally did and I told them we had reservations for dinner the starred at me like I was stupid! Didn't even explain what was goin on or anything.... Not only am I disappointed in the restaurant but I'm also dusappointed in OpenTable for allowing us to make reservations for a restaurant that was not open to the public
- The following 105 reviews are from the Al Boccalino reviews archive.
- an old friend still terrificUrbangal1Dined on 4/18/2014We had not been to Boccalino since we first lived in Pioneer Square in the early 80's. We are back in the neighborhood, and walked over on a Saturday night. Easy casual atmosphere, still good food and service quite attentive. We are glad to have another place in the hood to frequent and will return.Special Features:
- So-soOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/12/2014Arrived for our 5:00 reservation at 4:55 & Luigi refused to seat us & another group until 5:00.(restaurant was empty). The dining experience was horrible. Service was poor and the food wasn't any better.. We were dining on a Groupon that I had purchased. Appetizer, Dinner, dessert & Carafe of wine. The best part of the meal was the dessert of Vanilla Alfogato. We ordered the soup, which was salty; the pear gorgonzola salad was small compared to the table next to us (also dining on a Groupon). The house made sausage was good but Risotto was overpowered by red pepper. My biggest complaint was the service and lack of customer service provided by the owner. The other two tables received great service (also using Groupon) Will not return.
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/6/2014I wanted to take my friend out for dinner for her birthday, just the 4 of us, it was a great meal, good wine, excellent service, absolutely no complaints, a great little place that I would visit againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old World charm continuestouristdinerDined on 4/6/2014We have dined at Al Boccalino over the last 20 years and always felt welcome and comforted by its very small size, small staff, and resulting intimacy. Those reviewers who complain about service and group matters probably misunderstand the place. It is perfect for couples dining alone, who engage with the staff not demanding speed but hospitality and careful service, who choose their wines with care, and will spend about $100 for the occasion. As two couples dining together with spare time and laughter, we had a fine time together, oppressed only by a charmless anxious Generation X couple at an adjacent table, 3 feet away, who kept eyeing our table anticipating our earliest departure so they could appropriate it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Good!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/5/2014We wanted to try this restaurant out after seeing it being interviewed on our local TV station! Bad idea! The food was horrible, no taste! Prices were higher than shown on their menu on line. We won't go back!
- Good Italian eatsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2014A great little space with a gem of staff and owner. The food was good but could have been improved by the application of some saltSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not Great..BettyDined on 3/27/2014This was our third dining experience in 10years.. It will probably be another 10 before we return.. We used a Groupon Coupon and found our menu to be limited, small portions, and not very tasty. Clearly the selections were the least expensive meal.. a cafe of wine refill was only 2/3 full and a $28. was not a warranted price for this quality of wine.. Other diners meals from regular menu seemed much more interesting but VERY pricey.. As you would expect the tip was based on the total price.. THEY add an automatic 18%.. but their "total Price" for these entree were OVER PRICED. What was going to be a $50/mean ended up being $100. .. but whose value should have remained at $50.Special Features:
- Romantic little ItalyIguazubirdsDined on 3/23/2014Quiet gem, outstanding authentic Italian cuisine. Very accomodating for gluten free needs. Extremely quiet atmosphere...almost too quiet for certain conversation. Strangely did not notice other conversations, though aware of other couples. Very small "introverted" atmosphere. Incredible service...the servers treated us like regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ExperienceOccasionalDinersDined on 3/23/2014Overall we had a good but not great experience. We had never been to Al Boccalino's before so we were very much looking forward to it. Parking was tough to find even on a Sunday evening but it was a nice day and we got there early so we didn't mind all that much. The restaurant has a good ambience but it seemed very quiet. The wait staff was friendly and helpful but there was an error in taking one of the orders. This issue was evident in reading others' reviews. We were disappointed that it happened to us too. Other than that, we had a 'good but not great' experience. We'll probably try other places before going back but we'll probably be back some day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite restaurantDwtnGalDined on 3/17/2014We have been regular customers of Al Boccalino for a few years and have never been disappointed by the quality of the food and the gracious hospitality of Luigi.. It feels like we are dining in the intimate setting of an Italian home with a very good cook!..Don't be put off by the viaduct construction and miss this wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food . . . eventuallyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/14/2014Al Boccalino has been an institution for a long time, and the food is the reason. Go for the food! This last visit we had really poor service though--a rarity in a foodie/restaurant town. I arrived before my companion, and was seated but not offered a menu. (Also, the waiter seemed unaware of the Open Table reservation!) After we ordered, my companion's salad arrived, but mine didn't; when I flagged the waiter, he didn't know I'd ordered one! The wine was a mystery too; we ordered a bottle a house wine, but it arrived in a carafe (that looked shy of 750 ml)--not too unusual for a house wine, I guess--and on the bill, it seemed to be more expensive than what was printed on the menu. However, we were allowed to linger without being ejected.Special Features:
- OK - wouldn't rush backBethBDined on 3/8/2014Haven't been to AB for years. Made the reservation because I remembered it to be pretty nice with good food. Apparently they had a Groupon special going so it felt really rushed. You could tell that they were trying to turn tables because of the Groupon. Unfortunately, it made it nothing terribly special, but just ok. A little overpriced for what you got. Not in a hurry to go back, although it may be better when they aren't under so much pressure.
- Great FindJimmayDined on 2/28/2014We got a Groupon deal for a dinner for 2 including appetizers, entrees, desserts and, of course, wine. The food was great and the service was also great. The only issue is that the dining room is a little cramped. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Nice dining experience. LeftbwbwDined on 2/27/2014Nice dining experience. Left the restaurant with kind of a sour taste in my mouth thouogh. I had a Groupon coupon for 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, and 2 desserts. Early on, we were asked if we'd like bread with our meal (with no mention of there being an additional charge for the bread). I was not happy to find that I still owed over $25.00 when the check came. 18% gratuity was added to the check, which was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best dinner experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/25/2014I bought a prefix dinner for two on groupon. The groupon said it had $102 value. We get there and no one is there. Then the menu and our caraf of wine was dirty. The food was not up to par, definitly not worth $102. The one good thing was the pasta with peas and "pancetta" (it was ham). Ther dessert, cake with berries, was just like the appetizer, not good. And the whole time we were eating the staff were very loud and taking phone calls right by us, in an empty restaurant! Very awkward. Needless to say, I will not be back
- great findtoneDined on 2/16/2014enjoyed the atmosphere and food. They do need a bit more heat turned on in the dining area. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend or go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute and quaintOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/9/2014We had found a Groupon for this place and decided to check it out. It was to be our first outing on a weekend in Seattle. It is located down by the water under the bridge in a quiet area just down the road from Pioneer Square. The building is very small and shaped like a triangle. It's hard to imagine that there is even a restaurant inside, never mind an other business! Inside, the room is very quaint and cozy. Business was quiet (Sunday night), and service was good. We picked our courses for a three course and enjoyed the rest. The food was good, service friendly and prompt. My seat was a little chilly, but I was beside the window in the corner of the restaurant. I would recommend Al Boccalino.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experiencePhilDined on 1/25/2014My girlfriend and I loved our little corner table, exactly what we were looking for. The tables are pretty close together but it's still private enough. The food was delicious. The plates came pretty fast for us as they came when we weren't finished with our first course yet and due to the small table, something had to give so we could get the next course! But it was a lot of fun. The service was quite good as well. Thankyou for a nice romantic dinner with the lady friend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.