Al and Alma's Supper Club
5201 Piper Road
Mound, MN 55364Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
Al and Alma's Supper Club
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.al-almas.com/supper-club.php
- Phone: 9524723098
- Hours of Operation:
Memorial Day - Labor Day Hours
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Dinner: Sunday 4:30pm
Fall / Winter 2013-14
Dinner Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Dinner Sunday 4:30pm
Closed Mondays and Tuesdays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Al and Alma's Supper Club
Al and Alma’s Supper Club was founded in 1956 by Al and Alma Quist. During the day Al was a firefighter and the Mayor of Island Park, at night he cooked the best food on the lake! His idea of creating a dining destination worth making a trip for propelled a lasting history as Lake Minnetonka's longest operating restaurant. Open for dinner only, today's modern restaurant embraces recipes that have spanned three generations. The term "Supper Club" embraces our past but requires no membership! Hand cut steaks, slow cooked BBQ ribs, famous campstyle walleye and homemade desserts accompany modern American fare and delightful nightly specials including fresh ocean fish. Join us out on Phelps Island; you'll be glad you did!Continued
Al & Alma's restaurant is a perfect choice if you want a quiet and relaxed atmosphere, good food, and wonderful service.
Al & Alma's restaurant is a perfect choice if you want a quiet and relaxed atmosphere, good food, and wonderful service.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Al and Alma's Supper Club - Best Restaurants in Mound ›
Al and Alma's Supper Club reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (11)neighborhood gem (11)good for groups (6)special occasion (5)kid-friendly (4)romantic (2)fit for foodies (1)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Terrible evening out!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014This was not a good experience.Strike 1 - Let me begin by stateing there was no parking avaliable. All parking was taken by the boar cruise customers. Had to park 6 blocks awayjust for dinner. Strike 2 - even though I booked a reservation thru Open Table, when we got there they said they had no reservation for us. Strike3 - Requested a romantic table and got stuck right next to the bar..very noisy. Strike4 - out of selected beer choice. Strike 5 Service was terrible all night long. Couldnt even keep water glasses full....Stay away...bad nightmare. Only positive was the Walley dinner.
- Special Occasionfav2dineDined on 9/24/2014We always choose this venue for our Birthdays, Aniversary and every time we can! You can spot the owners on site enjoying family and guests. Suzie is our favorate server. After we arrive looking around we see several friends enjoying the end of summer. Thanks for always being here Al and Alma's.Special Features:
- Awesome ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Amy was a fantastic waitress! She kept apologizing for the slow service, however we were in and out in one hour. She was prompt and attentive, and her energy was infectious! The food was great as well! We'll definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/3/2014WE had a reservation to find that the restaurant was CLOSED! Your system still took the reservation! This needs to be fixed.Special Features:
- Not what it used to beHbcookDined on 9/1/2014We have been going to Al & Alma's since 1972 and loved it for years. On our recent visit we were really disappointed that the menu doesn't even come close to the 'forever' menu - no T-bone which was an 'everyone's' favorite. Also, with the new structure (which has been around a long time now) you just don't get that old lakey feel that was such a draw. I think their charter boat business, and consequently the menu to accommodate, is their focus.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014We took our 4 adult grandchildren for dinner. Food & service were outstanding, but the S'mores for dessert were the highlight of the evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/26/2014So glad to find a restaurant without sports tv's or loud music!! Lots of windows for a great view. Good menu with low-mid-high $$. Great for family dining, couples, and even a single.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Charming venue that I've held close to my heart for years. Finally made it back in after missing it in my dining outings. Excellent service, casual atmosphere, same great food (as it was 35+ years ago) with a much needed upgrade to the restrooms. A thrill bringing my son to a beloved supper club from my past.Special Features:
- won't returnttssnDined on 7/24/2014The kids working as host and servers were great. The restaurant smells like an old bar. It look like it could use a good cleaning, and maintenance. The food was poor and over priced. This experience was mid-week, summer time, dining inside the restaurant, it was noisy and disorganized. I suppose folks come for the boat ride ,dinner on the boat (make sure you eat before you get there), and to drink. If you plan to sit at the bar and eat poorly prepared, fried "Sysco-truck" food and pay too much, this is the place for you. On the positive side, my husband enjoyed his ten dollar hamburger. So, there is that. Don't waste your time or your money.Special Features:
- LakeViewDineDined on 7/24/2014The food and service was very good; the only issue was the lack of car parking space. We would definitely come back again and enjoy an dinner meal in a very family friendly restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/19/2014Very noisey. Couldn't hear our conversations at all.Special Features:
- redfishDined on 7/2/2014We had party of 4 for dinner. Waitress was very pleasant and knowledgeable, though had trainee in tow. Dinner took too long to arrive, something went awry in kitchen. Food was okay. I tried the ribs - full rack. End was overcooked and too much sauce for my taste. Took half home and ate for lunch next day, after washing off the excess sauce - good. Garlic mashed potatoes were overly salty, but I am low salt person. Salad was fine. Others at table seemed happy enough with their dishes (pistashio encrusted bass, lobster mac and cheese, ribs), but not jumping up and down. Waitress recommended nice bottle of Chard that we hadn't tried and it was very good. Overall, we had nice evening, but not so great. I would dine there again.Special Features:
- Initial service level was not goodRazorDined on 6/27/2014Initial waitress took over a half hour and still had not delivered drinks or asked for our order. Once I complained we were given a new waitress and things were much betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 43 reviews are from the Al and Alma's Supper Club reviews archive.
- Good ExperienceGingerVIPDined on 6/15/2014We chose to celebrate Father's Day at Al and Alma's as it is a lovely drive and has a lake view (somewhat limited). My walleye was fresh, flaky and tasty and the lettuce salad was good. Although there were plenty of servers, the service was slow despite empty tables in the dining room. Our server was pleasant as was the hostess. Lovely, bright dining room but very crowded with tables.Special Features:
- Always a pleasuredogmom5Dined on 6/14/2014We enjoy Al and Alma's as a great neighborhood restaurant and one that is reasonably priced with great food and always superb service.Special Features:
- Liver specialnuperDined on 5/23/2014We went because we love the liver dinner! This time it wasn't as great. It was possibly too rare but was mushy with lots of tissues to cut through. Due to the previous good luck we will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish fryOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/7/2014Liked the haddock and mussels. Great little place that is a nice change from the chain dinersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/14/2014We really loved the food. Wife had surf and turf and I had the pistachio encrusted sea bass that was cooked perfectly. The staff was very attentive and be new updated decor looked nice. Previously I had only had their food on one of the cruises and this was much better. Give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a place for New Years EveOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2013They were not prepared to server the number of people that was there. I took a group of 10 people out before new years eve dinner, I selected the restaurant based on past experiences. The service was horrible the food was bad, They ran out of the lobster by 7 pm. I was embarrassed for sure.Special Features:
- We will definitely be backKayoDined on 10/12/2013Great food and great service! A nice table by the fireplace on the first cool evening of the year.Special Features:
- Thought it would be on theAlliDined on 9/7/2013Thought it would be on the water since they run dinner cruises but it's really not. you can just see a sliver of water behind a park. The food was so so. It was fairly busy that night but it took over 15 minutes for anyone to even come over to our table and another 5-10 for water or bread. There was either an owner/manager that was very sweet and apologetic about the delays though. I ordered a chicken salad and clearly I missed something b/c it was a plate of noodles with a few leaves of lettuce on top. Husband was happier with his tuna/shrimp but small portions. It is extremely loud in the restaurant not even due to the kids but more to the semicircular/window setup I think. We almost had to shout to hear one another at one point.Special Features:
- Wonderful place to bring guestsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2013We had a guest from the West Coast and wanted to have dinner around Lake Minnetonka.. Had not been to Al and Alma's for years, but had heard from friends who live on the lake that it was a great place to eat...and it was! Wonderful food and great service. Loved showing off a Minnesota treasure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Minneapolis experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2013This is a beautiful drive to a nice spot. Casual place with fantastic food. The view is great. We ate in the restaurant not the cruise.Special Features:
- Compfort Food!EstapestaDined on 8/10/2013Food great and price wonderful Got blocked in when trying to depart from parking lot. Managers were nice to us!Special Features:
- We've dined at Al and Alma'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2013We've dined at Al and Alma's many times over the years and have never had such less than mediocre food and drinks. No plans to return.Special Features:
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/20/2013We ordered the broiled walleye and filet mignon, which were both excellent choices. Service was fast and attentive. Would go back without question!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Night Out With FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/13/2013We arrived by boat and were met at the dock immediately by a very helpful young man to assist us. We had reservations and our table was ready when we arrived. Our waitress was very knowledgeable and attentive to our needs. The restaurant was full but our service was very good. This is a very nice place to enjoy a very good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/29/2013We eat at Al and Alma's several timesa year. It is always excellent and a neat place to go on Lake Minnetonka.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent, weChanceDined on 6/20/2013The food was excellent, we enjoyed our server and the view was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The walleye is the BEST. PeopleOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/20/2013The walleye is the BEST. People watching is really great with the on and off loading of the Al and Alma dinner boats. Very fn place to eat with good food; what could be better?Special Features:
- Relaxing and FunAtomSplitterDined on 5/27/2013Decent food, good price, nice ambience and views. Great service. Off the beaten path, but worth the trip to escape to another world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than memorablePhilDined on 5/23/2013We came to this restaurant for our anniversary 20 years ago. It was memorible. Last week we decided to look at the boats for an up and coming event and also to sample the food again. The waitress was extremely frieindly and the captain that we met on the dock was helpful and answered all of our questions. We ordered the chicken and ribs and also the Walleye which was highly recommended. The food was less than memorable. The ribs were flavorless, the Walleye was in a heavy coating and pan fried to an off white color and the chicken had a hard coating on it. We could barely bite into it. We didn't expect 5 star but there was no real signature attached to anything. Just boring and bland. Maybe it was a bad night...Special Features:
- My wife and I had a last minuteOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2013My wife and I had a last minute opportunity to get out together without the kids, so we decided to tire something different. The food was good but not exceptional. The service was acceptable. The view of the lake was from across the street and no very scenic. Overall, it's not a bad spot, but it's not worth drive more than 10 minutes.Special Features:
- The food was good and theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2013The food was good and the atmosphere was relaxing. We will come back to visit again soon.Special Features:
- The food was delicious asOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2013The food was delicious as always and the service was top notch.Special Features:
- Consistently Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013We come to your place twice a year and love being able to count on the consistency of the great food and service. The filet with the blue cheese was one of the best i've had. Also, both of us enjoyed the southwest eggroll appetizer. Please put the Pistaccio Crusted SeaBass back on the menu!Special Features:
- Nice PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2013Went here for Valentine's Day dinner. Nice atmosphere, clean and well decorated. Large windows look out to Lake Minnetonka. No area to wait while you are waiting to be seated. We had a reservation, but still had to wait longer than normal. We stood between people seated at the bar and the dining tables. We had the southwest egg roll appetizer, which was fantastic. Steak dinners were cooked to order, but did not have any seasoning, so a little bland. Service was excellent. Overall though, a very nice spot with good food and fair prices.Special Features:
- We waited over half an hourOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2013We waited over half an hour to get someone to stop at our table, after waiting 20 minutes past our reservation time. Not good to walk by a table and not talk to the people sitting at it.Special Features:
- Appetizer and dessert wereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Appetizer and dessert were really top notch (chicken egg roll and tera miso). Entrees were decent but not great. This was Valentine's Day and their first day open from the their winter break. The staff was overwhelmed and the service suffered. The environment was very loud.Special Features:
- Nothing special. Food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013Nothing special. Food was only OK; waitress couldn't keep up with her tables so we went long spells without seeing her for refills and other needs. Wouldn't steer you away, but wouldn't suggest it either.