135 South 18th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.akitchenandbar.com/
- Phone: 2158257030x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday to Friday: 7:00 am - 10:00 am
Weekend Brunch: 10:00 am to 2:30 pm
Lunch: Monday to Friday: 11:30 am - 2:30 pm
Dinner: Sunday through Thursday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm; Friday and Saturday: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Eli Kulp
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Walnut
- Public Transit: Bus: 18th and Walnut
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking available in local garages. No Valet available.
Central Parking System – 1616 Sansom Street
Parkway Corporation – 1845 Walnut Street
Central Parking System – 201 South 18th Street
Priority Parking – 1710 Chancellor Street
A word from a.kitchen
a. kitchen, located in the AKA Rittenhouse Square, is a contemporary American restaurant focused around Chef Eli Kulp's bold flavor-forward cooking on natural hardwood charcoal and accompanied by one of the most compelling wine lists in the country featuring many of the most in-demand Old World style artisan grower-producers in the world, as well as a large selection from leading natural winemakers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
a.kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
197 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (125)neighborhood gem (81)hot spot (54)notable wine list (52)great for outdoor dining (50)special occasion (45)great for lunch (38)romantic (31)great for brunch (30)vibrant bar scene (18)scenic view (17)good for groups (15)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- a.great mealanniemouseDined on 10/26/2014This was our first visit to a.kitchen and we were fortunate to have a server who was exceedingly helpful (not at all condesending) in explaining the menu and dishes. Thanks to him, we were able to select dishes that we loved. He also recommended a wine by the glass that complemented the meal very nicely. The noise level was tolerable, but we ate early and there was only one other group in the dining area. The small bar was noisy. We were impressed by the quality of the food and would recommend a.kitchen to friends.Special Features:
- Keep trying...BazkapVIPDined on 10/26/2014Sunday brunch: The setting and service were superb. Food is still evolving. The duck salad was well composed but wilted under its weight well before finishing. The chicken fried pork was hardy. Served on a warm plate a real plus. The price paid failed to deliver value and culinary delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service - Good, fresh FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/24/2014The place is small so plan to sit close to others.Special Features:
- Great Food, Snooty VibeIHeartPhillyVIPDined on 10/22/2014The food here is excellent, but the vibe is pretty snooty from service to clientele. Would have enjoyed a glass of wine after our cocktails, but server never brought back the wine list. Seem to always have better dining experiences east of Broad.Special Features:
- NancyDined on 10/21/2014Inventive, delicious cocktails and food! A great restaurant to try some unusual combinations and flavors. Do try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JadwaveVIPDined on 10/20/2014Overpriced and unsatisfactory in every way. I do not recommend it.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Great food and service - the tartare was outstanding - best in the citySpecial Features:
- Great spotJohnDined on 10/17/2014A friend recommended a.kitchen as a "must" on our first trip to Philadelphia. The recommendation was true to its billing. Food was great with a combination of subtle (and some not so subtle) tastes in one plate. The three of us had lamb, artic char and duck as main courses. Each of us were raving that we had the best plate. Point is--they were all great. Special mention for the sommelier who did a great job recommending a wine at a reasonable price. We will definitely return. Very convenient to Ritterhouse Square.Special Features:
- Disappointed by service and foodflavorseekerVIPDined on 10/17/2014We were looking forward to our meal at a.kitchen and were disappointed by service and food. Although the server was pleasant she was not attentive, we waited 35 minutes for the starter. Additionally, she was not knowledgeable about menu fish when asked if it was wild or farmed -and regarding our starter (telling us they were having trouble shucking the oysters).The beet salad starter was extremely salty and after several bites was abandoned. Finally, the duck sandwich special that was described by the server as 'banh mi like' was nothing like the asian sandwich with crispy vegetable, heat and spice. Instead it was like chicken salad with spicy mayo - which was fine but not expected given the server's description.Special Features:
- Incredible foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/12/2014This is the best food we have had in Philly in years. Every dish had incredible flavors. An interesting wine list as well. The staff could not have been more helpful and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!NickDined on 10/11/2014The dinner and wine list were all wonderful. The meal was excellent all around and would highly recommend the East Coast Squid to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2014The food is creative with delicious flavors, like the grilled eggplant. It was hard to decide what to eat. We will go back when we are next in Philadelphia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodTAS1Dined on 10/5/2014Interesting menu; order stuff to share - best way to go in order to try more thingsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed with hostessOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/2/2014When we arrived for our reservation, we requested to be seated at the windowseat because it was a nice evening to enjoy the fresh air and still be inside the restaurant. We were told that it was "reserved". That table remained vacant during our entire meal. That made me angry because we were seated near the open kitchen which is noisy and subject to cooking odors and grease clinging to clothing. The Wagyu beef was a little oversalted. Everything else was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too expensive for what it isOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/1/2014The food was good but the portions were so small compared to its prices. I think there are way better values and as good food in other places in the area.
- Awesome experience !123450Dined on 9/24/2014Took my fiancé and her freinds here for her birthday. The drinks were perfect - including the smokey egg white cocktail. Our server was super nice and even reccomended a great place to get drinks after dinner. But..... The best part was the food. Simply outstanding. Not huge portions , but the flavors made up for the size. Wagyu steak, beef tartare and the duck were so good. Highly reccomendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BucksBillDined on 9/23/2014We have dined at a.Kitchen in the past and have enjoyed ourselves, food is good and the service very good. On our last visit there was large table of 12 that made conversation at our table just about impossible. Noise is the one real negative about this restaurant. The servers are always very pleasant and knowledgeable as is the wine steward.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious TreatJoanVIPDined on 9/23/2014We weren't very hungry for dinner so we decided to go to a.kitchen for small plates. It was an excellent choice. The Dover sole with brown butter sauce melted in your mouth. The cornmeal pound cake was also delicious.Special Features:
- Not what I had in mindskyus1Dined on 9/22/2014I could not find anything in the menu appealing enough for me.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/16/2014To be clear- the food was not disappointing. The food was good- nothing overly special that I would feel compelled to spend that kind of money for, but good. The Beef Tartare was my favorite. My disappointment stems from having made a reservation on opentable at a.kitchen thinking I was making a reservation during restaurant week for a. kitchen + bar (as in one restaurant). Needless to say I was extremely upset that when I arrived at a.kitchen and found out that they were not participating in restaurant week...but their sister restaurant a.bar was. I find it incredibly confusing when a restaurant has the whole name (a.kitchen+bar) listed on their website, the location we were in on their website and half of their name on opentable.
- Interesting, but not there yetFood4thoughtDined on 9/15/2014The descriptions on the menu were more tasty than the small, lukewarm, and expensive dishes. With some of the party averse to raw or spicy foods or beef, it was hard to compose a shared table, yet you need a party to assemble sufficient variety. Grilled, stuffed squid were excellent. Buckwheat noodles a total waste--a few clammy noodles with meaningless accompaniments in sour pickle juice. We were contacted several times to make sure that we intended to keep our reservation, but the service was not as attentive in person. Even with all of the street windows open, the grill ventilation was inadequate.
- foodiedudieVIPDined on 9/13/2014Eli Kulp has worked his magic at a.kitchen. I really enjoyed everything we ate...the Arctic char was great, as were the beets, and the side of leeks was amazing. The noise level however, on a Saturday night was deafening. Acoustics are a problem here. We could not hear what anyone was saying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- letseatoutVIPDined on 9/13/2014Good food, nicely presented. Basically a tasting menu at full menu prices.
- A lovely evening.AmieDined on 9/12/2014Overall, our experience was very positive but I did have a few points that took me out of the experience. Mainly, the course timing wasn't great. Our first three items came out so quickly that I couldn't remember what the first item tasted like by the time the second and then third came out. It was certainly not the leisurely dining experience that I was looking for. Also, the gazpacho, while very nice, was overpowered by the chili oil to the point that you couldn't taste the crab at all. The duck breast was definitely the highlight of the meal and was amazing. The dessert, a cornmeal concoction, was also great although I would have preferred it with a different ice cream. It could have been improved with a sweeter element.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of PhiladelphiatravelstoeatDined on 9/12/2014We were in Philadelphia during restaurant week, so many places had their best foot forward, and this was the best of the lot. It has a seriously thoughtful menu, excellent food, fun cocktails, sidewalk and window seating, and really wonderful service. Our waiter overheard one of us mention an allergy to onions, and he came back with a complete list (as opposed to o few choices) of what was safe for her. It's trendy now to say 'all our plates are for sharing', but here they really are.Special Features:
- KateDined on 9/10/2014We actually at at a.bar for Restaurant Week. Our reservation was switched from a.kitchen to a.bar.Our meal was delicious--nice portions. It is very noisy however!Special Features:
- A local gemdanieleDined on 9/9/2014We tired a .bar... During the restaurant week. Great food, amazing presentation, innovative ... Kuddos to the chef ! Great location where you can see the bustle of the city, in a cosy environment ...and the service is spectacular . The young man at the bar was most helpful, attentive to our needs and made the experience even friendlier !Special Features:
- MediorceBlueXVIPDined on 9/7/2014After the writeup in Philly Mag and my friends' recommendations, I thought this would be a hit. I wasn't impressed, though. Service was incredibly slow (we sat for 20 mins waiting for our server). Food was good, but not outstanding. Atmosphere was nice, though. I hope this was just an off-night...Special Features:
- Not so good lunchDidiVIPDined on 9/5/2014Went for lunch today... Beef tartare not well balanced (too much sauce vs meat, too acidic), overload of salad dressing on a regular Green Salad, waitress poured 2 times (!) tap water in our sparkling water, no bread served, chocolate mousse was too dense and tasted not at all bittersweet
- Good Food/Friendly staffbullbearDined on 8/31/2014Arrived earlier than expected but that didn't stop the staff from assisting and interacting while we enjoyed wine at the bar. Menu is quite unique and the dishes we ordered were scrumptious. Would highly recommend a.kitchen to folks who are looking for a culinary adventure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must re-visitOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/30/2014This was my first trip back since the menu reboot, and it did not disappoint. Every plate was above average to excellent.Special Features:
- annkVIPDined on 8/27/2014Fantastic dinner tonight. The food was so flavorful and excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food--Too noisyblunchDined on 8/26/2014Noise was a problem. Hard to hold a conversation. Food was good. Service was slow. Best time to go is when it is not crowded.
- SethVIPDined on 8/23/2014Creative presentation and flavors. Very interesting cooking, have been many times and will continue to be a guest.Special Features:
- astonishing foodhermiteDined on 8/23/2014I have eaten out in restaurants for over 50 years, here and abroad. The food at a.table is inventive, charming, unexpected, and very very delicious. I have not had food this exciting in any of the New York restaurants I have patronized in the past. I am still savoring the flavor of the smoked mussels, the fried green tomatoes (name doesn't begin to describe the complexity of this dish), the crispy black bass. I am pretty knowledgeable about food, but were you to ask me what the exact ingredients were for any dish I had, I would be unable to tell you. Great food is always mysterious. My only complaint is the cowering level of noise. At least there was no piped in music. This restaurant deserves to be patronized to the max.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014First time diners at a.kitchen. Saturday night. Service was great. From the cocktails out on the sidewalk table to our server Jim when we were seated at our table inside. He was very attentive and helpful rounding out our dinner selections (small plates)for the four of us. We were never rushed. Even the sommelier took the time with us to pair our food selections with wine for the four of us. All in all dining at a.kitchen was a very pleasant delicious experience. I would recommend it and would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a.plustigerlilyoneVIPDined on 8/20/2014Had a birthday dinner here, and the staff was extra thoughtful and gracious! Bright and airy with perfect views for people watching wether seated outside or in. The appetizers and entree portions are a bit small, but delightful and tasty so we left feeling full but not stuffed. Only downside was the poundcake (tasted too doughy and was microwaved), but we were one of the last diners of the evening so I wasn't surprised that the cake was probably on its last leg. Overall, great time and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than expectedDininginTownDined on 8/15/2014My dinner recent at a. kitchen was absolutely wonderful. It was my first time there and it was better than I expected. We sat adjacent to the outside tables so it had an al fresco feel and the weather was great. Our waiter was very knowledgeable and made fabulous suggestions; both on food choices and quantities. The food was so delicious with outstanding flavors and sauces. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Delightful DinnerARedHeadedWomanDined on 8/13/2014Met a friend here for dinner and had a really nice experience. Started with a glass of the dry Rose and the sourdough with squash. The bread was unique and very tasty; it had a nice crunchy exterior and soft interior. The squash added nice flavor and was not overwhelming. Had the smoked beet salad as a starter and the Arctic Char as a main followed by the chocolate mousse. The smoked beets were delicious. I am not sure what the dressing was but the creamy tangy sauce was a perfect foil for the beets. The Arctic Char was excellent, perfectly cooked with crispy vegetables on the side. The mousse portion was small, but by that time I was full, so it was fine. I look forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- ExcellentFoodfirstDined on 8/12/2014Truly excellent. Fabulous small plates, great wine list.Special Features: