135 South 18th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.akitchenandbar.com/
- Phone: 2158257030x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday to Friday: 7:00 am - 10:00 am
Weekend Brunch: 10:00 am to 2:30 pm
Lunch: Monday to Friday: 11:30 am - 2:30 pm
Dinner: Sunday through Thursday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm; Friday and Saturday: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Eli Kulp
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Walnut
- Public Transit: Bus: 18th and Walnut
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking available in local garages. No Valet available.
Central Parking System – 1616 Sansom Street
Parkway Corporation – 1845 Walnut Street
Central Parking System – 201 South 18th Street
Priority Parking – 1710 Chancellor Street
A word from a.kitchen
a. kitchen, located in the AKA Rittenhouse Square, is a contemporary American restaurant focused around Chef Eli Kulp's bold flavor-forward cooking on natural hardwood charcoal and accompanied by one of the most compelling wine lists in the country featuring many of the most in-demand Old World style artisan grower-producers in the world, as well as a large selection from leading natural winemakers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
a.kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
215 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (141)neighborhood gem (80)notable wine list (68)great for outdoor dining (61)special occasion (60)hot spot (55)great for lunch (41)great for brunch (38)romantic (36)scenic view (21)vibrant bar scene (20)late-night find (19)good for groups (18)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- annkVIPDined on 8/27/2014Fantastic dinner tonight. The food was so flavorful and excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food--Too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014Noise was a problem. Hard to hold a conversation. Food was good. Service was slow. Best time to go is when it is not crowded.
- astonishing foodhermiteDined on 8/23/2014I have eaten out in restaurants for over 50 years, here and abroad. The food at a.table is inventive, charming, unexpected, and very very delicious. I have not had food this exciting in any of the New York restaurants I have patronized in the past. I am still savoring the flavor of the smoked mussels, the fried green tomatoes (name doesn't begin to describe the complexity of this dish), the crispy black bass. I am pretty knowledgeable about food, but were you to ask me what the exact ingredients were for any dish I had, I would be unable to tell you. Great food is always mysterious. My only complaint is the cowering level of noise. At least there was no piped in music. This restaurant deserves to be patronized to the max.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014First time diners at a.kitchen. Saturday night. Service was great. From the cocktails out on the sidewalk table to our server Jim when we were seated at our table inside. He was very attentive and helpful rounding out our dinner selections (small plates)for the four of us. We were never rushed. Even the sommelier took the time with us to pair our food selections with wine for the four of us. All in all dining at a.kitchen was a very pleasant delicious experience. I would recommend it and would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a.plustigerlilyoneVIPDined on 8/20/2014Had a birthday dinner here, and the staff was extra thoughtful and gracious! Bright and airy with perfect views for people watching wether seated outside or in. The appetizers and entree portions are a bit small, but delightful and tasty so we left feeling full but not stuffed. Only downside was the poundcake (tasted too doughy and was microwaved), but we were one of the last diners of the evening so I wasn't surprised that the cake was probably on its last leg. Overall, great time and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than expectedDininginTownDined on 8/15/2014My dinner recent at a. kitchen was absolutely wonderful. It was my first time there and it was better than I expected. We sat adjacent to the outside tables so it had an al fresco feel and the weather was great. Our waiter was very knowledgeable and made fabulous suggestions; both on food choices and quantities. The food was so delicious with outstanding flavors and sauces. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Delightful DinnerARedHeadedWomanDined on 8/13/2014Met a friend here for dinner and had a really nice experience. Started with a glass of the dry Rose and the sourdough with squash. The bread was unique and very tasty; it had a nice crunchy exterior and soft interior. The squash added nice flavor and was not overwhelming. Had the smoked beet salad as a starter and the Arctic Char as a main followed by the chocolate mousse. The smoked beets were delicious. I am not sure what the dressing was but the creamy tangy sauce was a perfect foil for the beets. The Arctic Char was excellent, perfectly cooked with crispy vegetables on the side. The mousse portion was small, but by that time I was full, so it was fine. I look forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- ExcellentFoodfirstDined on 8/12/2014Truly excellent. Fabulous small plates, great wine list.Special Features:
- pamkVIPDined on 8/9/2014Wonderful food and staff who are not pretentious-but knowledgeable and warm. Always fun to watch when a kitchen is well run, too.Special Features:
- Poor serviceJNEFDined on 8/8/2014My husband and I had friends coming to visit from out of town so chose a kitchen thinking it would be a great way to show them how awesome the philly dining scene is! We had a reservation for 9 pm. We arrived at 8:50 pm and were told our table wasn't ready yet and to have a drink at the bar. When we went to the bar, there was a 4 top table open, set and ready for people to sit at. We waited at the bar for 30 minutes (until 9:20 pm). We were finally seated at the table (that was open when we arrived at 9:20 pm.) The servers were not very attentive and when you are at a nice restaurant that should be one of the top priorities. Our courses didn't come out promptly (our friends had their first courses for 20 minutes before ours arrived).
- One of Philly's bestphillydinerVIPDined on 8/7/2014Fabulous meal at the chef's counter as part of Rittenhouse Row restaurant week.Special Features:
- PhillyguyPhillyGuyVIPDined on 8/7/2014Runs here before it gets too well-known. This is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative and interesting foodBrooklynJoVIPDined on 8/3/2014I can see why a.kitchen might not appeal to everyone, but if you are up for trying some truly creative cuisine with tastes you haven't experienced before, a.kitchen is the place to go. My husband and I loved every dish we ordered, from the grilled beet salad and smoked eggplant to the skate and duck breast and then the dark chocolate mousse and pound cake. Some of these dishes may sound familiar, but each one was prepared in a new and creative way, and each was delicious. Serving sizes are not overly generous, but they were fine for us and encouraged us to really savor each dish. Service was great too. We are new to Philly and have been sampling the restaurants nearby, and a.kitchen will be at the top of our list for a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WimmieVIPDined on 8/2/2014Food has greatly improved since first opening and is not cutting edge Philadelphia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding as usualFanFromPhillyVIPDined on 7/31/2014Anything Ellen Yin and Eli Kulp are involved with seems to be gold! Brought my family for a birthday/anniversary celebration and couldn't have asked for a better experience.Special Features:
- Business lunchNeilDined on 7/29/2014Enjoyed a productive business lunch on the sidewalk in beautiful weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portions left us hungrycjs1Dined on 7/26/2014The waiter explained the two options they had in the menu, one was to order several of the smaller plates to share or go with the main courses that were larger portions. The smaller plates looked more appealing so we decided to get several of these, thinking bread and three of these would be enough. We went with the Buckwheat Noodles, $14 there was barely enough for one person to eat. The Caputo Brothers Burrata, $16, the menus says "fried green tomatoes", I took the plural "tomatoes" to mean more than one. We got one slice of a tomato. Two people had to share one slice, really? Then the East Coast Squid, $16, it was okay and again small, but at least two on the plate we could share. ~$113 +1 wine and 2 beers with tip, and we left starving.
- bjb1VIPDined on 7/26/2014This is our second time at a.kitchen, and it was a special experience as was the first. The service is first rate, the food is outstanding, and our seat at the kitchen bar was fun. The chefs were friendly, well informed, and added to our enjoyment. Go and have fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A terrific summer brunchCuriouspalateDined on 7/26/2014We were delighted to find inventive offerings in the traditional brunch egg category and beyond--in perfect portions for our appetites. My plump and tasty mussels married beautifully to a preparation that is difficult to describe other than suggesting the best of Basque and Asian in its imagination, lightness, simplicity and integrity. My partner's grilled shiitake sandwich (with scrambled eggs) pleased enormously. The wine list is imaginative and well priced. I applaud their rarity, a Fino sherry, "Elcano," JC Gutiérrez Colosia, Puerto de Santa María. Our table bridged outdoors and in, perfect on a summer day. The ambiance may be chic but it welcomes older hoodies like us. Kudos to the Fork and AKA teams!Special Features:
- Left hungryFoodluvrVIPDined on 7/23/2014Wow. What a disappointment. I had read some good reviews of this restaurant, and we were looking forward to dining here. First, the dining area is extraordinarily small and cramped, more on the order of a BYOB place than a 'fine dining experience'. The noise level is extraordinarily high. The food is delicious, although the portion sizes are the smallest seen by any in our party. We each ordered three items, two apps a piece plus entree, drinks, and dessert, but we all left hungry! The portion sizes are way too small and definitely not shareable. Even the cocktails are tiny. You are left with the impression that every drop and morsel is metered out. The prices are way out of line with the service and portions. Hope it improves. Hated it!
- LoriDined on 7/22/2014We'd go back based on the food and wine list - which were interesting and very good - but that waiter was terrible. He was barely interested and the kitchen was having a problem with the grill so we waited an incrediy long time for our food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Similar flavors across menu itemsMTagDined on 7/22/2014I did not find the new menu to be very appealing both from a selection perspective and taste. I am getting tired of the "chose 2 or 3 dishes per person" format. You never know if you are ordering too much or too little...do the items go together, blah, blah. The noise level was off the charts...and I like vibrant place, so judge from there.
- Even better than beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/21/2014We have always liked a.kitchen, but were eager to try the new menu with the new chef. It didn't disappoint. We had two small plates, two large plates, and one dessert, all of which were excellent. Standouts were the burrata and the deviled skate, but everything was wonderful. Portions were not as small as some reviewers had suggested, and neither of us left hungry. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great delicious brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/20/2014The fried chicken and freshly baked pastries were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- J.WellsJWellsDined on 7/17/2014The charcoal grill really leaves with you a lasting flavor and succulent smokey hymns from each dish. The chicken thighs in particular were a personal favorite. The beet salad also a favorite was unbelievable good. However, the best dish surprisingly was the grilled broccoli with bacon. Eli Kulp continues to impress. The only regret I have is that I did not frequent more of his restaurants while in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodiecDined on 7/16/2014We went into a.bar for a drink before our dinner reservation and were pleasantly surprised to find we were in time for Happy Hour. $1.50 oysters! They were awesome and we had 2 dozen before we knew it and had a great $4 stoudt. We went into the restaurant and enjoyed a great dinner. The deviled skate was fantastic as were the cold soba noodles! Definitely would go back for dinner as well as the oysters!Special Features:
- Expensive for what you receivetwelVIPDined on 7/11/2014This is not a sharing plate place even though that is what they are billing it as. How do you share items that have soups underneath them easily? $25 for 4 bites of a duck breast? That is an entree? I left hungry and that is hard for me to do. Eli Kulp may be a hot chef according to Food and Wine, but I think he is not paying attention to balancing flavors with satisfying his customers.Special Features:
- Excellent mealLobsterVIPDined on 7/9/2014The meal was excellent-the service not so good. Lovely server who was hogtied by the kitchen! The food was beautifully prepared and presented and we will definitely return.Special Features:
- WowdlipetzDined on 7/9/2014Had high expectations after reading Craig LaBan's review and a.kitchen still managed to blow us away! Every dish, bar none, was a star. Even the desserts. The Dover Sole was like no other. We will definitely go back. Only negative was the bar service. Food order was taken before we could even speak with the manager to order a bottle of champagne. Three plates had arrived before the bubbly, so that was a miss. Need to fix the awkwardness between food order and bottle service. However, the food shined so brightly I have to give a.kitchen 5 stars!Special Features:
- Must love foodMaggieZeeDined on 7/8/2014There is zilch atmosphere, kids and coaches at lunch, but we knew this going in. However, if food is your thing then it's worth the lack of atmosphere and the noise level. Three of us go out every other month, we inform the wait staff we will be there for awhile, and proceed to order. We share everything. Three people, five apps, four full plate entrees, two desserts, drinks, wine and espressos. All delicious. In particular, a great twist on steak tartare. Wait staff excellent!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014Good was pretty good, but menu was a bit more eclectic than I remembered. I came away smelling like I had been at a campfire.
- New chef, will need to change againWeeatoutVIPDined on 7/7/2014a. kitchen recently changed chefs. This small restaurant with a thoughtful design, energetic service staff, and great location will need additional change. The new chef has designed a menu that lacks clarity of style and incorporates too many ingredients and too many flavors into each dish. Despite these negative changes, a.kitchen is still committed to fresh ingredients and good service. Despite not enjoying 3 out of our four plates, we still had a nice night out due to good wines and great service. Hopefully the management team will preserve the great while they help Chef Koh(?) find clarity of his culinary vision.Special Features:
- Would Go BackreggieVIPDined on 7/6/2014Small plates were perfect for sharing. Wagyu beef was great! I'm not a fish-person, but the dover sole was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingFinesseDined on 7/5/2014Great Food, Outstanding Service. Definitely plan to visit again with the Mrs.Special Features:
- Not badJeMcBDined on 7/5/2014I went by myself because I had some time to kill, was hungry and really wanted to try this restaurant. They were serving brunch, which I really did not want but decided to try anyway. I had the mushroom sandwich and it was very good -- especially for not being in the mood for eggs. My only complaint is that I felt kind of abandoned by my waiter once he took my order. Someone else brought me my food, someone else refilled my water, someone else grabbed me a new fork. It was a little strange? Otherwise, the meal was excellent and I would definitely try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Special OccasionGerryDined on 7/4/2014Had another exceptional dining experience with out-of-town guests. Menu included new dishes with local, seasonal ingredients. We always share many dishes and would definitely recommend this to other diners. Yin/Kulp/Nodler is the most exciting and creative team in town, probably in the Northeast/MidAtlantic region.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner at a.kitchensandyDined on 7/4/2014we had a memorable dinner celebrating birthdays - excellent food and service, wonderful waiter. will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely LunchlanasmomVIPDined on 7/3/2014While the atmosphere at lunch time is MORE than "energetic", like you need to do sign language to talk across the table, the food and SERVICE are meticulous! Even at lunch. Some restaurants stand down a bit for lunch but their food was incredible and the server was top notch. Would absolutely go back again....with a megaphone this time!Special Features:
- FOODIE FIND!FoodieMomDined on 6/28/2014AMAZING food - go with a group and order everything --- smoked beets, tempura-fried pickled peppers, quail eggs, eggplant BBQ chicken thighs, fried bass were outstanding. Cocktails were a huge hit - especially Queen Wasp, a peppery gin concoction that did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedGallaFoodieVIPDined on 6/26/2014I am a big fan of a kitchen but we took friends there for dinner recently and we were all a little disappointed. The new reviews have been amazing so we were ready for an even greater experience than in the past (which has always been good), and I have to say -- our meals were very good but not awesome. The portions are very small for the price -- and we don't like a lot of food.Special Features: