Akbar Restaurant - Garden City
2 South Street
Garden City, NY 11530Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Akbar Restaurant - Garden City
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theakbar.com/
- Phone: 5163578300
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Sun 12 pm - 3 pm Mon-Thu 5:30 pm - 10 pm Fri-Sat 5:30 pm - 11 pm Sun 5 pm - 10 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: As one of the premier caterers in the tri-state area, Akbar Restaurant has managed numerous social and corporate, both on and off premises, events over the past 35 years. Our success can be most attributed to our dedication to producing the highest quality food and putting our clients’ needs first. We have received numerous accolades and recognition not only within the Indian community, but also within the broader tri-state area. We proudly cater at the Hilton, Marriott, the Mandarin Oriental, Gotham Hall, and the Crest Hollow Country Club.
A word from Akbar Restaurant - Garden City
Akbar, with genuine Indian character and charm, is aptly named after the Grand Mogul Emperor famous for splendor of his hospitality, fabulous feasts and elegance of living. As the first Indian Restaurant in Long Island, Akbar has lived up to its name, providing unparalleled services to its guests for years. Inspired by the diverse tastes and flavors from India, each chef at Akbar not only brings years of culinary expertise to each dish, but also has his own specialty, creating a unique balance in each menu item. An elegant setting with dramatic high ceilings, plush carpeting, Indian carvings, and the romantic glow of candle light add to the memorable and unique dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Akbar Restaurant - Garden City - Best Restaurants in Garden City ›
Akbar Restaurant - Garden City reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (9)fit for foodies (8)neighborhood gem (7)great for lunch (7)special occasion (6)romantic (4)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Akbar was FANTASTICnewbie24Dined on 9/13/2014Recently had the experience of dining at Akbar Restaurant in Garden City and it was pleasurable. This was my first time enjoying Indian Cuisine I was unsure of what to expect but our waiter was wonderful! He gave us tips on what to expect, the best methods in eating and overall was GREAT. The service staff went out of their way to ensure we all had what we needed and the extreme politeness we encountered during this meal was unmatched by any other restaurant we've been too. The only issue which was distasteful was upon our arrival the valet the staff were huddled together, talking amongst each other; we felt uncomfortable as they were staring and whispering. Having brought my adult dtrs to the restaurant I was not pleased by this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great meal!RichDined on 8/29/2014We love this place! Service is attentive but never annoying. The food is amazing. So far never a bad dish. The cauliflower appetizer could be a meal itself.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014The food was very good as was the service. Valet parking enhanced the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious IndianAkbarGoodDined on 7/18/2014The food is delicious! Listen to the waiter when he tells you that the samosas are filling and not meant as an appetizer. My husband and I love them so we ordered four. We were so full by the time the main course came out which was quickly. We enjoyed the leftovers the next day. The portions are small but very satisfying. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellentAlexVIPDined on 6/28/2014Akbar is one of those restaurants you don't want to praise too much for fear of it trending and crowding out your next reservation. This place is an old reliable for us: the service is simply excellent--non-intrusive, subtle, end efficient. The food is always excellent. The ambience wonderful. While the location of the restaurant is challenging, it doesn't detract from the magic once you're inside. We come here about three times a year, this latest visit was a graduation lunch for my daughter. The World Cup was playing in an adjacent room, generating the expected cheers, but the overall experience was again very gratifying.Special Features:
- Very Good FoodfoodloverDined on 6/13/2014This was my first time trying indian food of this kind. The food was remarkably delicious. We had an office lunch there and it was very enjoyable. The waiters were friendly, food was served quickly and it was very well done.Special Features:
- The following 107 reviews are from the Akbar Restaurant - Garden City reviews archive.
- excellent foodpeterDined on 5/17/2014Food was so delicious and excellent but I had a stone in my food. I told the bar tender but he just took it from my hand and say only sorry once and left so quickly because it's so busy nights for them because of sonu nigam show next to them. This is my first visit to this restaurant heard lots of about this but specialy I and my group get upset with that accident. Still we decide to give them one more chance and we would go again to check it more. Someone has to take appropriate action and let us know why this kind mistake is done but no one want to notice also for this is really surprised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice plce good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014my boyfriend and I went here for dinner and were happy with the food. My boyfriend is Indian so can be critical with Indian food. He was pleased with the food and the menu had a great selection of vegetarian dishes to choose from. We will def go back.Special Features:
- outstanding serviceSophiaDined on 4/24/2014Akbar is definitely a hidden gem ! The restaurant had an eclectic low key ambiance - food was incredible , but gets 4 stars because of the cocktails. All of the servers were friendly and kind. The owner even came out for a moment and introduced herself ! Has a wide assortment of seating arrangements from tables for two to huge comfortable group booths. Loved it. Will definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first exp w Indian foodMissy24Dined on 3/21/2014Service was attentive, manager went to every table to check in diners experiences. Food was outstanding. Everything prepared and presented well. Can't wait to go back :-)Special Features:
- AkbarEaterDined on 3/9/2014We always enjoy dining here and whomever we have joining us likes it as well. We had their generous and varied buffet on a Sunday night which was convenient and very easy to keep going back for more! Yum! It was also reasonably priced and the servers were great. Empty plates were promptly removed throughout dinner. Will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only get take outBingyDined on 2/22/2014The only thing I would give 5 star is the food. Reservations counts for nothing. If there is an event your in for a slow start to your night and even slower service. I could feel the base from a party they was having beating in my ears . Over all I probably go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always consistantbuddiesVIPDined on 2/15/2014we have been going to Akbar for 20 years now and the food, service and quality have always been very good and consistantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good Indian restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Highly recommend. Atmosphere was nice. Foo was excellent. Would like to come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodneldamVIPDined on 2/14/2014This was our first time at Akbar & we loved the food. Service was fine, a bit slow, but they were very busy, so we understood. We'd recommend & will be back soon!Special Features:
- Incredible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/1/2014Besides having wonderful good, the service was mind-blowing. Nicest staff around.Special Features:
- greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/18/2014really enjoyed my meal, and it was very reasonableSpecial Features:
- consistently goodkittyVIPDined on 1/12/2014We've eaten here many times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indian food newbiekandkdiningDined on 1/11/2014Boyfriend wanted Indian for his Birthday. .we chose Akbar. .food was delicious, had a nice wine list and service was lovely. He loved his dinner and I enjoyed my first Indian dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodGoogFoodDined on 1/11/2014I've known about Akbar for sometime but never managed to try it. Now, I can't wait to go back! Indian cuisine at its best. The server was very knowledgeable about the menu choices and helpful with suggestions. Friendly and professional atmosphere. I recommend Akbar to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and staffLis421VIPDined on 1/3/2014We frequent Akbar often. The staff always remembers us and our wine order. Sometimes we even get glasses on the house. All the food is very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as it gets!38SpecialVIPDined on 1/3/2014I never cared for Indian food until I started to travel to the U.K. regularly 25 years ago and was exposed to a more authentic version of this cuisine than is usually avaiable from the bland buffets that provide the typical U.S. imitations. A visit to Akbar will save you the airfare to England, yet still provide the relief from the unsavory American version of South Asian fare.Special Features:
- Great Indian FoodGiztwizDined on 12/26/2013I have been to this restaurant many times and have never been disappointed. Their food is excellent, restaurant is clean and nice. The only drawback was the service was on the slow side.Special Features:
- Great Indian findpinajd04VIPDined on 12/22/2013Great buffet of choices and great taste! Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice variety of Indian CuisineLovestoeatDined on 12/11/2013A nice variety of Indian Cuisine prepared to order with wonderful spice and generous portions. Our waiter was very helpful in identifying our tastes and recommending the courses. Vegetarian, Fish, and meat selections would satisfy most peoples palates. Very friendly waitstaff and management and constantly checking on your comfort. I would highly recommend this restaurant either to dine, take-out, or have a party as they have many rooms to accommodate any thype of affair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for nice quiet dinnerKrssykmDined on 12/1/2013I made reservations for 8 to surprise my husband for his birthday. Some restaurants won't seat your party unless everyone is present but Akbar seated whoever came which was very nice of them. For the most part the people there to dine on a Sunday evening are Indian. Although there was a wedding reception going on while we were eating- it didn't affect us at all. We barely heard anything. I enjoyed this experience and it was my first time having Indian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great Ambiance ehOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2013The food was great The place where they sat us which was an offshoot of the main dining room Was a bit dingy. The wall had paint peeling off and the colors were a blah beige.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome mealfoxjo1Dined on 11/16/2013We eat Indian food on a regular basis and this was -- by far -- the best Indian meal we have had in years. The food was cooked well, we were served in a helpful friendly way. We traveled from Westchester for the meal -- and it was well worth the journey!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sumptuous Indian buffet lunchCathieVIPDined on 11/16/2013The decor and food at Akbar never ceases to impress! The lunch buffet, also served on weekends, is outstanding and plentiful. Perfect place for a birthday lunch or just time to enjoy an abundance of tasty Indian food between shoppingSpecial Features:
- Good but could be great!PantoDined on 11/9/2013We had to wait for about 10 minutes at the front door before we were even addressed. Then we had to wait for our table another 10 minutes. We had reservations but no worries on that. Once we got to our table we had to wait another 15 minutes before the waiter even came to introduce himself... He apologized and we accepted it and then things moved along. We got the drinks we ordered fairly quickly and the appetizers too, however, we had to wait a long while for the entrees - we ordered bread along with appetizers but it didn't arrive until way after the entrees finally made it to our table. The food was good but the service - attention to detail, interim care of guests and frigid welcome of guests requires a substantial overhaul.Special Features:
- The food was good. The wineMeeceeDined on 11/1/2013The food was good. The wine list (had a total of 4 red wines to choose from) could use an update.
- Delicious and great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/31/2013I have eaten here many times and the food has never disappointed. I've had things that were only alright, but mostly their food is just simple and delicious. The wait staff is always very attentive and I have seen the owner or manager there every time, which I find really nice. The atmosphere is just lovely too. Very clean and nicely decorated. My new favorite dish there is the Dal Makhani, it's wonderfully flavorful and the perfect kind of spice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite Indian restaurantskc4623Dined on 10/12/2013My favorite Indian restaurant (and this includes those in Manhattan). I love their Tikka Masala and the garlic naan. My friend really enjoyed the lamb biryani.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Friendly ServiceMelissaDined on 9/20/2013The food at Akbar is very good and the service to good also. It's a great place for sharing plates and for large groups.Special Features:
- good end to a daysweetspDined on 8/10/2013The food was amazing. The was very little wait for our food. The only issue I had was a very long wait for our table even if though we had a reservationSpecial Features:
- Excellent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2013The food was excellent and the service was very good. We decided to share the food family style so that we could try all of the dishes, it was an excellent choice!Special Features:
- A great place for Indian foodGigiDined on 7/31/2013Had a delicious meal with gracious service. The place is elegant and perfect for a special occasion but reasonably price ( but not cheap) for a nice dinner with friends and quiet enough for conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They served us even thoughOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/29/2013They served us even though they were about to close. The food was fantastic and the service excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fan-tastic indian food!!!!palbert1Dined on 6/29/2013Love Akbar, the food is always spicy, fresh, and delicious! The service is quick and the ambience is regal and fit for the fine food they serve. I proposed to my wife there and return often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good indian foodme13VIPDined on 6/23/2013the food is always good, and their buffets are a great value!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.