1 Porter Square
Cambridge, MA 02140Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.akairyuma.com/
- Phone: 6178680186x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese, Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Takeout
- Private Party Facilities: Seats 12 to 16
- Private Party Contact: Manager x
A word from Akai Ryu
We are a full service shabu and sushi restaurant located in the heart of Porter Sq.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Akai Ryu reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (6)fit for foodies (6)neighborhood gem (4)great for lunch (1)special occasion (1)great for brunch (1)romantic (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Fantastic Find In Porter Square!NotAFoodieDined on 8/29/2014I was delightfully surprised by Akai Ryu. Walked in here the first time not expecting much and was blown away by the beautiful decor and wonderful service. The Shabu Shabu (Hot Pot) is fantastic. Very fresh meats and veggies. The broth is amazing and was steered towards the Chinese Herbal Chicken which was very tasty. Came back with other friends a second time and had an even better experience. This is my new 'hidden' spot in Porter. I found it to be very affordable especially considering the high quality of the food. Sad that it doesn't appear to be busy yet as I hope it stays around. But in the short term it's nice to have the place with just a few customers.Special Features:
- Truly superior Japanese foodBostonianDined on 8/23/2014Beautifully and thoughtfully prepared dishes, with interesting condiments and sauces that put this place in a better class than most of its local competitors. The decor is gorgeous, a complete transformation from the previous occupant, Pizzeria Uno. The only downsides are: 1) a confusing menu that puts new diners on the defensive, 2) no liquor license as yet.Special Features:
- TheflorentineDined on 8/17/2014Amazing food and amazing service ! Very good prices !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good peopleLordKilgarDined on 8/10/2014We ran into a couple of snags with our meal but the restaurant handled it very well. The food was very good, the service was good (if a touch unpolished, but hey, they haven't been open long), and the ambience was fantastic. I'm very excited to have a shabu place this good so close to me!Special Features:
- Nice use of space, great sushiMatthewDined on 8/8/2014Glad to see a place like this come to Porter and help maintain its reputation for asian food. The interior's sprawling for the type of decor and afternoon sun can end up right in your eyes, but everything we tried was delicious and the service was very attentive.Special Features:
- Great first visitopentablereviewerVIPDined on 8/2/2014We went to Akai Ryu with our kids early one evening. The service was very attentive and very friendly. We got a mix of appetizers, sushi, and shabu shabu and everything was very good. We especially liked the appetizers and the shabu shabu was a lot of fun in addition to being delicious and excellent quality. I think it will only be better when they get their liquor license. I expect that we'll be returning on a regular basis.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/3/2014Something for everyone Menu has a lot of great options Food was great and the service was attentive helpful and genuine Will go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PromisingluvshabuVIPDined on 6/21/2014Akai Ryu has much potential and might eventually become a neighborhood gem. The owner/manager might consider taking a trip to other well established Shabu/hot pot places in Boston (i.e., Q, Shabu Zen, etc.) to identify areas for improvement as I've frequent those places and enjoyed their consistent, good services. The staffer were friendly and attentive, food was descent and the ambience and decor were nice. Will definitely go back and recommend to a friend in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 0 reviews are from the Akai Ryu reviews archive.