14 East Central Street
Franklin, MA 02038Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.artistrykitchen.com/
- Phone: (508) 530-7440
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:30pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
A word from AK Bistro
AK Bistro is a neighborhood gathering spot located in the heart of downtown Franklin, MA, where we recognize that attentive, personal service is still an important part of the food experience. Our team spends a lot of time searching for the finest quality ingredients from around the corner and beyond because we know that our local partners are also vested in providing the best the seasons have to offer. We take pride in taking these ingredients and turning them into culinary creations that are innovative, delicious yet approachable. We pair them with unique hand selected wines, craft beers and creative cocktails to provide the ultimate foodie experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
AK Bistro - Best Restaurants in Franklin ›
AK Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (62)neighborhood gem (61)special occasion (44)romantic (33)notable wine list (31)hot spot (18)great for outdoor dining (15)good for groups (15)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (7)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)Show More
- ReviewDinnerDined on 11/22/2014While we enjoyed our meal and the food was really good- the ambiance was lacking. It was too quiet and the music didn't suit the scene. If it was a bit more romantic and a tad louder - it would have felt like it was the right place. We would recommend the food but will not go back- sadly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ames3323Dined on 11/19/2014Excellent! This restaurant gave me the feel of Boston but in Franklin,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulCmp6VIPDined on 11/16/2014This is our fourth time going to AK and we have not been disappointed. We have gone with a group as well as just my husband and myself. The oysters and cheese/charcuterie plate are both delicious. The pizza is small and enough for one or as an appetizer. My son had the Duck and said it was one of the best dishes he has had in a long time. I had the duck shepards pie, a little heavy on the mashed potatoes, but very good and I ate the entire dish. I have had the burger in the past and it as well was very good, a bit salty on the French fries so I would order them again with light salt. Great wine list and cocktail menu. We will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in the suburbs!shmoopy2014VIPDined on 11/9/2014We just discovered AK Bistro - what a great find in the suburbs! The restaurant was beautiful, the food was great and our server Corey was outstanding. Nice to know we don't have to drive to Boston or Providence for great atmosphere and food.Special Features:
- Good place for brunchAMRLR1Dined on 11/9/2014I've been to AK Bistro twice for brunch. Both times the service and ambiance have been great. The food is very good. I quite enjoyed the brioche French toast, which was served with heated maple syrup and berries. It was thick, fluffy, and its had a pleasing flavor. The pastry sampler was amazing--lemon square, raspberry shortbread square, coconut macaroon, and two pumpkin cookies. I believe they vary the sampler according to season. Our waiter was attentive and never rushed us. We had a seat by the fireplace, which was lovely for a cold November morning.Special Features:
- Thumbs up !!!!MIssyDined on 11/7/2014My husband and I dined there a few weeks back and we throughly enjoyed everything we ordered. The waitstaff was very attentive and helpfull with our questions. Service , food , ambiance and overall atmosphere was fantastic. All our food came to us perfectly hot and wasn't sitting around !!! I'm glad we were given gift certificates as we probably wouldn't have known they were there. We live one town over and I never knew it was there. My husband and I will definitely be back !!! Highly recommended !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealFullinFranklinDined on 11/1/2014Very positive experience. Started with drinks in the very cool bar area. Dinners of day boat scallops and filet we're delicious and beautifully presented. Didn't have dessert only because we were too full. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth A TryLocalFoodieDined on 11/1/2014AK Bistro is beautifully decorated but our experience on a Saturday night was uneven. The restaurant was noisy and cramped; service was attentive but our orders were repeatedly switched. Several menu items were very good to outstanding (the pumpkin bisque was a particular treat), but the chicken was undercooked and not particularly tasty. Still, there are few restaurants of this caliber in the Franklin area so we'll try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014Atmosphere is beautiful and elegant. Food was amazing, well worth the price and exceeded expectations. Restaurant was VERY loud. It was extremely difficult to have a conversation with other people sitting at same table without having to yell. Because of this, the overall experience wasn't as pleasant as you would like because you obviously would like to be able to hold a conversation with the people you are dining with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What did you say?OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014Went to AKB last Saturday with hubby and missed most of our conversation. Have been once before and sat towards windows in front of restaurant. That time we had a lovely meal even though we were at high-top tables. This time we were sat next to fireplace and could not talk over two loud groups around us. We had mushroom flatbread and I ordered short rib--found it difficult to finish both entrees because too salty. Husband had duck confit shepard's pie and was underimpressed. Cheese plate and ice cream were the highlights of our meal. Wine list had good range and choice. Sadly disappointed on food and ambiance this time. We will try again next time on weeknight and ask to be seated toward front.Special Features:
- Good, not greatConcernedEaterVIPDined on 10/30/2014Cool space. Appetizer selection is pretty unexciting- but the garlic shrimp are great. Bologna was bland, Twelve has a much better one. Scallop dish was very good, but not hot and too much going on- pumpkin purée, gnocchi, pancetta, mushrooms, etc.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time and we will go backAfh714Dined on 10/24/2014Food was delicious. Service was very attentive. Restaurant was very pretty. My husbands food was not cooked correctly and the wait staff and manager were extremely apologetic and attentive to the situation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good, But Down a LittleBruinsRuleVIPDined on 10/24/2014Dined at AK a few months ago and had an excellent meal. This visit was still very, very good, but there were a few hiccups. Bruschetta special and Pork Belly appetizers were both excellent. Cocktails were definitely interesting, but at Boston prices. Overall, the duck breast, duck sausage, duck confit was very good. Sausage seasoning was a little out of place with the rest of the dish. One duck breast was outstanding. The other had a very chewy vein in the middle that needed to be worked around. This was my second trip with the short rib. This time was not as tender as my first and popover was on the dry/overcooked side. All in all, still a great restaurant and it remains on my list of go-to's in the Franklin-Milford-Mendon area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Franklin Dining AdvancesCraigDined on 10/23/2014AK Bistro is a very positive addition to the dining scene in Franklin. Good food served well in a nicely appointed space. Hard to beat. We had 9 people in our party and everyone enjoyed their experience.Special Features:
- Good restaurant in FranklinMservDined on 10/17/2014I really liked the ambiance of this restaurant - very modern and unique decor for a neighborhood establishment. Cocktails were delicious and unique. We were a large group of 12. Our waiter was great - very knowledgeable and accommodating to the group. The only negative was that all of our food did not come out at the same time (by several minutes) so while the folks who were served early politely waited for everyone else to be served, their food got cold....(We told them to start without us but they did not oblige). The restaurant was not crowded that night so the chef should have been able to send out all of our entrees together.
- Nice Spot in FranklinOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/17/2014Our second time here and both were great. Started with little necks for my wife and oysters got me. Fresh, ice cold. My wife had pork and I had rabbit ragu. Both were excellent. Service was prompt and courteous. Didn't mind that we wanted to linger a bit with our drinks before ordering. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentenviromuggsDined on 10/17/2014Great service..great food. We hope the community will support you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very HappyHarpoon1212Dined on 10/11/2014I was looking for a new place to try as I live in the Worcester area and I have seen the AK Bistro on the OpenTable site. I was very impressed with the decor of the restaurant with smooth relaxing color patterns and much detail paid to quality. It was a great place to bring a date and the food was very, very good. We loved the wine list as our server was very knowledgeable and very helpful. All in all, I will put AK Bistro in my top 3 restaurants in the Central MA area.Special Features:
- Nice find in FranklinOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Good food, nice atmosphere, pleasant people, however very expensive for Franklin. Nice but overpriced...Special Features:
- Gourmet MealDonnalb48Dined on 9/20/2014This was my first visit to AK Bistro and I thoroughly enjoyed the meal. The food was delicious from the warm bread to the dessert. I thoroughly enjoyed my scallop dish, the tastes were complementary, and a bit unusual but wonderful. My only complaint would be that like so many other new restaurants, this one had poor acoustics and was noisy. I would definitely recommend AK Bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yay! A New Restaurant in Franklin!MimiDined on 9/20/2014My husband and I had been to AK Bistro for dinner over the summer and wanted to introduce our niece and her husband to it as we have similar tastes. We all went early (6pm) Saturday night and we all belonged to the clean plate club :) - I had the roast pork, my husband had his favorite, the short rib, my niece had the duck shephard's pie and her husband had the tagli.... pasta meal. For starters, we shared the beer cheese and the meatballs and they made a great pairing. Everyone but me had the apple crisp and loved it - I had the cookie treat plate and brought a few pieces home for my husband to try and that was yummy as well. The drink selection - between the choice of wines, beers and specialty cocktails was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, great experiencemetsnationVIPDined on 9/20/2014We had our first dinner at the AK Bistro after hearing good things about it. The owners have done a real nice job on the ambiance. We sat in the front near the bar, but would most like to try the back during our next time there. The service was excellent. Our waiter came by about a half dozen times to check in at various points during the courses. The salads and steaks were delicious. The medium rare was more on the medium side, but was tender and flavorful. The asparagus and fritis were very good as well. We started off with the cheese plate as an appetizer and it was very good. No room for dessert! (But we'll try that next time). We'll be coming back.Special Features:
- FoodieinfranklinDined on 9/19/2014Great food. Great service. Wasn't too impressed with how close the tables were to each other. Could hear all conversations clearly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just What Downtown Franklin NeededBruinsRuleVIPDined on 9/19/2014Dined with friends on a Friday night. Design is chic, but simple enough to keep focus on the food. Nice bar area, with creative artisan cocktails and respectable craft beer menu. Selected a meat and cheese platter from a varied list. Clam chowder was excellent, with a smokey edge. Pumpkin soup with apple and sage was aromatic and delicious. No knife needed for the short rib, which was very flavorful. Scallops with pumpkin butter, gnocchi and maple bacon were great. Portions were not huge, but were hearty and filling. Not too much room for dessert, but we split the apple crisp. Great flavor in the apple crisp, although the texture of the apples were slightly on the crunchy side for me. Bar service was slow. Waitstaff was above average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing.FoodloverDined on 9/13/2014I've been dying to try AK Bistro ever since I heard rave reviews from friends on Facebook. It did not disappoint! We arrived early so we had time for a drink at the bar. The bartender was very professional and answered my questions about the craft cocktail menu (I ended up getting the English Channel, which was a creation including Pimms and muddled cucumber) - delicious. Once we moved onto dinner our server Corey was extremely friendly and knowledgable about the cheese and salumi selections which we enjoyed for an appetizer. My husband had the scallops and I had the herbed Campanelle for entrees and although I intended to save some of my entree for lunch the next day it I are every bite. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Friday night out!ToriDined on 9/12/2014The AK Bistro exceeded my expectations. Food, appearance Nd wait staff was excellent. I was so impressed and would recommend to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in Franklin CenterOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/7/2014It's amazing to find this caliper of restuarant in Franklin center. Kudos to the owners for takign the risk. Beautifully decorated and it even has a nice little patio in the back. The menu is small as far as selection but wonderful and big on taste. Our waiter was very attentive and helpful. This is the third time we've been since they opened and I think they're finally figured it out. Third time was a charm. I had the mushroom flat bread and a salad, all the ingredients were nice and fresh. My husband had the oysters which were from Wellfleet and delicious. My dad had the scallops, it came with a nice portion and the scallops were big. My mom had the risotto primavera also delicsious, very cheesy and full of summer veggies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Guess I was hoping for moresidney963Dined on 9/6/2014It was very noisy and service was really slow. I was hoping for a little bit more from this new spot that has gotten such great reviews. It might be better for a nicer lunch.
- Great first visitrcs249VIPDined on 9/6/2014I decided to try this relatively new bistro while visiting family in Franklin, and I was very pleasantly surprised. The food was delicious! Nicely decorated restaurant but they could use something to help bring the noise level down as it was quite hard to hold conversations with our party of 4. Otherwise I'd say that it was an outstanding evening!Special Features:
- UniqueCMelT04Dined on 9/5/2014This restaurant is unique in that it's located in downtown Franklin, but unlike other restaurants downtown, it brings an urban chic to Franklin. The décor is beautiful, and there are different choices for seating. The food is delicious, and the presentation is mouth-watering. They make a great martini and cosmopolitan--no skimping on the alcohol. The vibe is a little odd to me, though. When you first walk in, you're not sure you're all that welcome. I think that problem is solved if the waitstaff and greeter can be a little more outgoing. If a restaurant is great but pretentious, it's not going to be my first choice. However, there's one waiter who goes out of his way to make you feel comfortable. Last night's waiter was friendly as well.Special Features:
- Nice local restaurant!bowling300Dined on 8/24/2014Very nice inside, clean, variety of foods to purchase. Menu was good, I had the bolognaese, my wife the duck! Both items were excellent! Dessert we had the assorted pastries for 2.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousSocialDinerDined on 8/23/2014We recently brought our out of town friends here. We arrived early and sat at the beautiful bar. The bartender was warm and welcoming and made an amazing Raspberry Mint martini that was so good. Cory our waiter was fantastic and took the time to welcome us back. The food presentation was wonderful and delicious. The ambience and decor are spectacular. Love the outdoor seating! This restaurant is gem and we are lucky they have come to Franklin. Boston quality for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Addition to the Suburbs!SplewisVIPDined on 8/22/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our first dining experience at AK Bistro....and promise to be back! The food was delicious, excellent service and the restaurant is just beautiful! LOVED the beet salad! A layer of granola and pistachios on the bottom was like finding treasure and the flavor combo with the beets and dressing is perfect. Also enjoyed a cheese board (bonteparte is AMAZING!), duck breast, haddock and tomato soup. All very tasty! A great experience and look forward to returning soon....with friends!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2014This was our 3rd trip to AK. We raved about it based on our 1st dinner and one lunch. However, the dinner this time was not on the same level as our first. The service was fabulous, but the food was just ok this time. Veggies were over cooked and the sauce on my food didn't even taste the same as the first time I had it. The beer cheese is AMAZING! We would definitely go back again, but would like to see more consistency with the food.Special Features:
- Suburb surprisejr2000Dined on 8/12/2014It isn't often a restaurant opens in the suburbs that can make you feel like you drove to Boston for a night out. It was not only delicious, but also elegant and tastefully decorated inside. We really enjoyed ourselves and will be back soon.Special Features:
- Very Good but not consistentgymgirlVIPDined on 8/10/2014We went to AK Bistro on a Friday for appetizers and drinks. It was a great experience - food, service- everything was 5 stars. Decided to go back 2 nights later, and a much different story. Food not as excellent, server less attentive, overall an experience that was so-so. I would go back again, but disappointed with lack of consistency.Special Features:
- Fabulous Food in FranklinOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2014We were so thrilled to find a Boston quality restaurant right here in Franklin. We have not had a good upscale tasting restaurant, in Franklin, since Girards Bistro. The food was terrific! It tasted amazing the next day in my doggie bag. Service and drinks were top notch. can't wait to go back again.Special Features:
- Great Food!TESARDined on 8/2/2014The food was excellent! The portions are much larger than your traditional bistro food! The cheese tray appetizer was great. ( something different for us) we usually get calamari...which we did and it was perfect! We will defineltly be back and recommend AK bistro to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner with wife and parentsDanoDined on 8/2/2014I'm hard to please, possibly because I payed for college by waitering at an extremely high-end restaurant. Ryan was our waiter. He was great; knowledgeable, friendly, entertaining, and a good salesman. The food was excellent, but the breading on the calamari quickly became mush. When I mentioned this, I was told "sorry about that." The decor is very nice too. The only dislike was the table behind us of two 30 year-old guys and their 40 year-old ladies were obnoxiously loud to the point we couldn't hold a conversation without yelling across the table.Special Features:
- Hidden GemKatLakeDined on 8/2/2014My husband took me to AK Bistro to celebrate my birthday. We had read the amazing reviews online and had never even seen the restaurant before, even though it is close to us. Amazing food, lovely atmosphere, the best calamari I have ever had, and fun cocktails. We will definitely be back for the next special occasion!Special Features: