Aji Japanese Restaurant
Hopkins, MN 55343Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Aji Japanese Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ajicj.com/
- Phone: (952) 358-3558
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Pan-Asian, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Alex Chen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Aji can provide all the sushi that you love to any parties, events or gatherings, even a sushi chef can be provide if you wish. If you can't come to Aji for great sushi, we can bring Aji's great sushi to you.
A word from Aji Japanese Restaurant
Aji serves an ocean of fresh sushi, steaks and other Japanese dishes daily, and has exotic weekend fish specials. Aji also provides a warm and inviting atmosphere in the heart of downtown Hopkins. "Date Night Just Got Closer to Home"Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Aji Japanese Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (5)fit for foodies (3)late-night find (2)great for lunch (2)good for groups (1)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- all you can eat sushi on Sunday's is awesome.loud1Dined on 11/23/2014Great sushi. Great service. I go again and again and bring sushi critical friends without fearSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Leaves a lot to be desiredSavvyCriticDined on 11/1/2014We visited Aji the weekend of Nov 1st. The veggie tempura was great with the Shisoto peppers. The salad with avocado was also something I'd come back to order. But the sushi rolls left a lot to be desired. We ordered the Salmon Trio(spicy salmon, salmon and smoked salmon) and the B&B which was touted as rare steak in a sushi roll. The salmon roll had a lot of the gray flesh you get with salmon sometimes. You know how you get the stringy white part of the salmon that's tough. It's like a tendon. Of the four pieces I ate three of them had this issue. The steak roll was similar. Gristle has on every piece of steak. By the end of the meal, I had a little pile of inedible junk on my plate. Not worth it at all.
- Great Service....Sub-Par FoodJeanieDined on 10/31/2014I loved the neighborhood location of this place. The service was outstanding. The food needs some work. The tempura was over battered and it was almost like eating children's chicken fingers. The sushi was bland...bland....bland. Get a new chef and this place could be stellar.Special Features:
- The following 237 reviews are from the Aji Japanese Restaurant reviews archive.
- Ruined birthday-starved and waitingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/28/2013Went here for my birthday (which was that day) and my husbands which was the day before. We were starving and continued to be the entire night. You can only order 3 HALF ROLLS at a time so when it would take 45+ minutes each time we ordered we sat there hungry and crabby. We had a really great birthday weekend up until that point but it actually ruined my day. The food we did get was not that good and it acutally was more expensive than our usual place. If you want good all you can eat sushi, Kyoto is the way to go! Its really good and costs less AND you get to actually have food at your table. Oh i might add that out experience and the few rolls we got took over 2.5 hours. Sort of puts a damper on your birthday evening.
- We enjoyed the fresh sushithe4oscarVIPDined on 4/26/2013We enjoyed the fresh sushi and miso soup for lunch. The service was very good. I would have appreciated having the sushi types identified. It was a great place to gather with colleagues and talk. Definately will visit again and try their dinner menu.Special Features:
- We had an excellent, friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/22/2013We had an excellent, friendly waiter who took good care of us. The food was beautifully served and delicious. We were celebrating a birthday and were served a special treat for all.Special Features:
- Eat really well, and eat healthily!foodloverVIPDined on 4/22/2013Lunch buffet-incredible value. You can eat really well, and eat healthily. Beautiful Japanese onion soup with so many layers of flavor. Crunchy seaweed salad with cucumbers. Appetizing "slaw" of green apple and papaya/green mangoe? Assorted specialty rolls with fun ingredients (spicy tuna, tobiko, sesame seeds)-again, I only wish for labels so I know what I am eating. Lovely Genmaicha green tea with roasted rice - served in a gorgeous, heavy, stylish pot. And, sweet fresh fruit for dessert - pineapple, canteloupe, strawberries, grapes . . . what could be better?Special Features:
- Great sushi and Sunday buffet!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/21/2013Great sushi and there always seems to be some sort of coupon or deal going on. We like the Exotic Roll and the Samurai roll in particular. The ambiance is nice and the Sunday all you can eat after 5 pm is a good deal for sushi!Special Features:
- Hibachi menu at dinner tooOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/15/2013Hibachi menu at dinner too expensive for type of food, amount, and preparation. Customers should stick with happy hour or only CV one Sundays for all u can eat.Special Features:
- We used an oline oucher.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/14/2013We used an oline oucher. the two glasses of wine ate too much of the bill. we were quite restricted so I'd never recommend anyone buying online vouchers there. sakana Sushi & Hibachi is a much better deal. Asside from the above it was good. The host was not a good host(male) he didn't say hi he just said wait a minute abruptly. We we were there sunday apr 14th at 5:15pmSpecial Features:
- Unexpected findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/8/2013Very unexpected find of a yummy sushi place in Minnetonka/Hopkins. Food quality is very good, menu selection is broad but not confusingly extensive, and the service is very good. We'll come here again for team dinners!Special Features:
- With the Sunday buffet, weOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/7/2013With the Sunday buffet, we had to wait 25 minutes for our table even with a reservation. Server didn't apologize for our long wait.
- The worst service and wayOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/5/2013The worst service and way too much rice in the sushi. Won't ever be returning.
- Pleasant and dependable sushiChrystalmystDined on 4/2/2013Pleasant and dependable sushi buffet; try the green mango and apple salad! Specialty rolls are superior to buffet, and fried rice is outstanding. Great service, lovely decor.Special Features:
- The waitstaff was very helpfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/30/2013The waitstaff was very helpful for someone who hasn't eaten a lot of sushi. Great atmosphere, good location, all around great restaurantSpecial Features:
- Aji always does a good jobOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/29/2013Aji always does a good job with their sushi buffet, but at busy times the sushi chefs can have a difficult time keeping up with the demand. Nevertheless, Aji is a solid restaurant that warrants repeat visits.
- We did the sushi buffet and,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/28/2013We did the sushi buffet and, even on a slower night, the sushi and selection were kept fresh and plentiful. The sushi was really good for a great price.Special Features:
- Highly recommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/24/2013We love going to Aji for their sushi buffet. The sushi is delicious and the service has always been great. The few times we've tried anything besides the sushi it has been just as good.Special Features:
- The prices are great and ifOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2013The prices are great and if you ask the sushi chefs for a specific roll they will make I. But the sushi itself is only of and they use the tuna mash stuff versus frsh tuna.
- Food was decent but nothingbadgerbethVIPDined on 3/22/2013Food was decent but nothing great. Much better sushi can be found at other restaurants in the area. It's inexpensive and the quality of food reflects that. Service was good and it was really busy.
- Simple, tasty, priced reasonably,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2013Simple, tasty, priced reasonably, and nice location and ambiance. Great to have a good Japanese restaurant in the west metro that is convenient and offers a solid menu to choose from. Will definitely be making it one of our new regular places to dine.Special Features:
- Yum-but don't know what I'm eating!foodloverVIPDined on 3/21/2013Great lunch buffet - I just wish they would put little labels for the speciality rolls so I know what I am eating! Food was fresh, tasty, and bountiful -- but, not really a "sushi" buffet, really more a "specialty roll" buffet - no nigiri or sashimi -- but a wide array of speciality rolls, very tasty, but, as I said, you don't know what you are eating. Terrific miso soup, salads both vegetable and fruit offered, too - super healthy and great flavors! Definitely good value - I come here regularly.Special Features:
- This is our third time atOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/19/2013This is our third time at the restaurant - the first two experiences were phenomenal - however, this time around the food seemed less fresh.
- Textures and flavors, wonderfulfoodloverVIPDined on 3/14/2013Wow, this was a wonderful evening in downtown Hopkins, who knew? The play of flavors and textures of the food from Aji were tantalizing, the presentation was beautiful, and the service was just that right mix of attentive but not intrusive. All of the food, not just the sushi, was well-prepared and caringly presented -- overall a seriously good night for food-lovers, ambiance-hounds, and those who can appreciate the fact that a restaurant of this quality is right on Main Street Hopkins! Oh, and yes, isn't it nice that we had more than a half-dozen sakes to choose from??Special Features:
- One of our favorite AsianOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/11/2013One of our favorite Asian restaurants. LOVE THIS PLACE!
- I had gone with a girlfriendOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/9/2013I had gone with a girlfriend and thought the sushi we ordered was amazing...and i've ate a lot of sushi in my life. Brought my husband to try it again (the first time it took over 2 hours for just us two and it wasn't an extremely busy). Took 2 hours again this time-there from 7:40-9:45. We ordered two rolls to start and then ordered 5 more mid way through those two rolls once happy hour started and normally I can eat quite a bit but since we waited almost 40 min for our second set of rolls we were full and had to bring them all home and second day sushi isn't always as good. The food was good -service is just SO slow and even when we asked for our check our waiter was just standing at the register counting receipts or somethingSpecial Features:
- We made a reservation forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/4/2013We made a reservation for 8pm on Monday for a Monday inexpensive date night. I had heard that Mondays boasted a 1/2 price wine bottles & a happy hour on sushi that started at 8pm. We were sat at a nice little booth near a window & were able to watch the fresh snow fall. It was a very nice experience, but being our first time, it was awkward when we had to poke the server a few times to open up about the happy hour offerings. After receiving the happy hour menu and our ordered items, we will happily return and recommend the restaurant to friends.Special Features:
- We like it, nice little placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/3/2013We like it, nice little place with a great amount of food you recived. Kids meal is huge.Special Features:
- My wife and I both had theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2013My wife and I both had the all you can eat sushi and salad bar. The apple and mango salad was great palet cleanser, but most of our focus was on the sushi. We enjoyed the opportunity to try one or two bites of a variety of different rolls instead of having to commit to one or two rolls. I have been to a few places where the server will bring your order to you. The only slight negative was having to get up and serve ourselves.Special Features:
- Great food and service inOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/1/2013Great food and service in a small-town atmosphere. A great find in Hopkins!Special Features:
- We have dined at Aji in theSamswifeDined on 3/1/2013We have dined at Aji in the past so we know it was probably an isolated experience. The food was cold. When the waiter asked how everything was, I said the food was cold. He was so busy moving on, he did not acknowledge my response. Later when he walked past our table, I asked him to return when he had a moment. He came back, much later, and asked if we were finished. If this had been my first visit, I would NOT return.
- Reservations suggested. LunchClosed4BusinessVIPDined on 3/1/2013Reservations suggested. Lunch buffet was good but sushi rolls were not labeled so you had no clue what you were picking.Special Features:
- Pretty good, but, . . .foodloverVIPDined on 2/28/2013Restaurant week lunch buffet-very tasty salads, although very skimpy on main ingredients, lots of filler instead of the squid in the squid salad and the seaweed in the seaweed salad-former was overwhelmingly lettuce with a bit of extremely tasty squid, the latter was a ton of cucumber with a tiny little bit of very flavorful and beasutifully crunchy seaweed. Appreciated the spring mix salad with the wonderful dressing and the fresh fruit. Sushi rolls were plentiful & beautifully presented, nice combinations of flavors/textures-however, there was no nigiri or sashimi, so I suppose they really should call this a sushi roll buffet. Service became very slow as the restaurant filled.Special Features:
- It was great to see everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/27/2013It was great to see everything being made fresh in front of us.Special Features:
- Good food, mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/26/2013This place had good food and a good atmosphere, but I was a little disappointed by the management of tables. I booked a reservation over a week in advance and we still waited 20-25 minutes for a table. While I realize this was over the lunch rush, but what was the point in making a reservation when everyone else was seated before those with reservations? What could have been a great experience was rendered a mediocre one.Special Features:
- Reservations were runningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/24/2013Reservations were running behind so we got sat about 1/2 hour after our reservation time. The staff was great and cleaned up tables quickly to seat more guests.
- Disappointed ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/24/2013The food was fresh and good, but service was very slow. Reservation was made on a Sunday night during Restaurant Week, and the place was packed. Despite having reservation, it took 20 minutes to be seated. That's only because the people in front of us had left. It took 30 min for our first order to arrive. Didn't order nearly enough and had to make second order. Took another 40 minutes before second order arrived. By then they ran out of a couple items and can only fulfill part of the order. So much for all-you-can-eat. Between waiting for a table and nearly 1.5 hours for our food to arrive, we left partially full and didn't feel it was worthwhile. No apologies were made from management. Don't think we'll return.
- Just what Hopkins Mainstreet neededfoodloverVIPDined on 2/24/2013Great evening. Even though the restaurant was packed, we had attentive and friendly server, sat by the fireplace, enjoyed many types of nigiri (all fresh), a few interesting specialty rolls (good combinations of flavors and textures), the super-yummy squid and seaweed salads, and a bottle of smooth sake - what could be better? Having this lovely meal on Mainstreet in Hopkins, for a very reasonable price, wonderful for the neighborhood!Special Features:
- A Diamond in the making....OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2013Great place to satisfy your sushi craving...they have many options. Our family favorite is the Black Pearl. It's something very unique. The sushi buffet is really interesting as well, it allows you to eat outside of your normal box, in trying different kinds of sushi you might not have tried from the normal menu. Great location for us surburbinites. :-)Special Features:
- We had a great time. The helpOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/19/2013We had a great time. The help was great and the sushi was OUTSTANDING! Large portions and well made, gorgeously displayed. Will be back again and again.Special Features: