675 East Durant Ave
Aspen, CO 81611Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thelittlenell.com/TLN/restaurants/ajax_tavern.aspx
- Phone: 9709206334
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm: Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matt O'Neill
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Ajax Tavern
Located at the base of Aspen Mountain, offering French-American Tavern Cuisine, featuring farm to table cooking with local ingredients. This “Aspen casual” restaurant is the type of place where you can come as you are and expect fun food with fresh ingredients, such as Colorado Lamb Bolognese, Classic French Onion Soup and signature selections such as the Ajax Double Cheeseburger and Truffle Fries. The Little Nell is proud to name Matt O’Neill as the new executive chef at Ajax Tavern, the casual dining spot known for its lively patio and distinctive bistro fare. Prior to moving to Aspen, Matt gained notoriety from the Boston Globe and the New York Times for his work as executive chef at PB Boulangerie-Bistro in Wellfleet, MA. Other highlights of Matt’s career include two years at the three Michelin starred Restaurant Daniel in New York and the grand opening of Bar Boulud in Manhattan’s Upper West Side.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ajax Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (15)scenic view (15)great for lunch (10)hot spot (8)fit for foodies (6)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (4)special occasion (3)neighborhood gem (3)great for brunch (2)romantic (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Nice outside patioGinnyKDined on 8/22/2014We had a late lunch here and there were not many people there. The French onion soup was very bland , kept adding salt but it was just OK. We had the fried green tomato and burrata appetizer and it had a balsamic reduction sauce that was very sweet. My husband had a Reuben that tasted ok. It had 1 slice of corned beef that was about 1/2 " thick and no Swiss cheese . I had heard great things about this restaurant but it really wasn't worth the money.Special Features:
- Great MealDianneDined on 7/20/2014Enjoyed our first visit to Ajax Tavern. It was great food and wonderful location. We would definitely visit again.Special Features:
- Dinning at 8000 ftPowderskierDined on 7/8/2014This is a great spot during all seasons! Amazing ovation and they do hospitality given the association with the Little Nell. Go and enjoy itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was it KFC in disguise?MitchDined on 7/7/2014One dish was lukewarm the other had over salted French fries and one small piece of chicken breast and one of dark chicken meat. Similar dish to KFC but at the cost of a luxury hotel???Special Features:
- Love this placeJoneserDined on 7/6/2014Small menu, but everything was EXCELLENT. Maybe my favorite place in Aspen. Would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- Food dry and unremarkablesantafevisitorDined on 7/5/2014We had dinner on July 5, 2014. The trout had no flavor at all and was slightly under-cooked. The fried chicken was very dry, chewy, and again, flavorless. Waiter offered to have trout cooked a bit more but the inside was also mostly darkened meat as opposed to sweet white meat. Very disappointing. It will be quite a while before we try it again. We used to love the lamb bolognese in a gluten free version with fingerling potatoes but that was not available.
- MediocreRubyDubyDined on 6/22/2014The food was expensive and mediocre in taste and plating. The halibut was over cooked. Service was friendly. We ordered the entree to split and a single plate was delivered to the table -- finally, the waiter brought over a bread plate for sharing. We expected much more given the online reviews we read.Special Features:
- A good meal spoiledTxWinoDined on 6/21/2014We had some great wine and pretty good dining experience in progress at the end of a great day. We were dining outside and when the sun went down and the temperature started to drop something changed for the worse. We asked our server to request one of the space heaters be moved near our table on several occasions as we were starting to get cold. We asked one more time as our entree's were delivered. Our requests went unanswered so the 4 of us picked up our plates and wine and went inside where we were met with a chilly response. The bar was almost empty and we grabbed a table. We finished our ice cold meals and decided to get our after dinner cocktails at a friendlier venue. The old staple restaurant let me down...Special Features:
- Gack!!!!LfromAspenDined on 6/15/2014Who serves fried chicken on a bed of, well, soup????!!!!!! It was horrible!!!! Because collard greens, (in the soup), and fried chicken are obviously perceived by this chef to be somehow derived from a single cuisine does not mean that you can combine them in any conceivable way!!!!! One of the worst concoctions I have ever been served. And even the fried chicken, (the part which had not gotten soggy from lying in the soup), was burned. Horrid. A fine place to see and be seen, but DO NOT EAT THERE!!Special Features:
- The following 121 reviews are from the Ajax Tavern reviews archive.
- FondueJustmeDined on 3/19/2014Our group of 7 dined on a variety of items: mussels (served w/o a crustry bread to sop up the tasty broth), French onion soup (yum!), house salad, quinoa salad (different), skate, elk, lamb, and fondue. Sadly the cheese fondue had waaay too much alcohol in it. It was not edible for either the teenagers or adults in our group. We are not the complaining type and had plenty of food. Maybe the wait staff could advise the strength of the alcohol flavor, especially when minors are ordering it. Otherwise, our dinners were delicious and the location and ambience can't be beat.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliable!Localdiner63VIPDined on 3/10/2014Ajax Tavern provides a good meal with a fun and energetic ambience. The truffle fries are absolutely delicious and a "must try" for any first time diners. Other food selections are dependable, though nothing special to write about. Ambience can be very loud and overwhelming during busy vacation ski weeks; bar scene and après ski crowd is always bustling and keeps the place always feeling like a scene. Proximity to the gondola and connection to the Little Nell's always keeps things hopping.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedThereseDined on 3/5/2014I heard so much about this place and how famous etc. it was and cannot figure out why. Besides the truffle fries there was not anything else I can say was over the top. Service was good and friendly. Perhaps being from south Louisiana and spoiled by the finest food around I'm a bit harsher than most.
- Consistently a Very Good ExperienceBemoDined on 2/28/2014Ajax Tavern is always delicious with some fun menu items for the more adventurous. Will look forward to our next encounter!Special Features:
- Our food took over an hourchrisVIPDined on 2/15/2014Our food took over an hour to come out and then it was cold it was a very poor experience and others in my party told me that this is not unusual for this restaurantSpecial Features:
- DisappointedLupholeDined on 2/13/2014The menu is too small. We have eaten here before. Has declined from more upscale ambiance. Fantastic location. Should be better utilization of space and location.Special Features:
- DownhillSmaxVIPDined on 2/13/2014So disappointed to find that an old favorite is no longer worth a visit. The menu was pretty uninteresting. Some food was over salted to the point of being indelible. The waitress was indifferent.Will not be back.
- Very disappointing. FirstBarbaraSFVIPDined on 2/11/2014Very disappointing. First time in Aspen and I was told this is a must go to place. The tomato soup tasted like it Campbell's canned tomato soup. The accompanying half grilled cheese sandwich was quite good. More disappointing was the Tuna Tartan - completely flavorless. We asked for wasabe to give it a kick and were given horseradish. How can you serve Tuna Tartar without a wasabe type of seasoning? Very disappointing.
- Fondue nightAtascocito1Dined on 2/5/2014At the base of the gondola, as you might expect, good for basic good food and Apres. We went on fondue night, got there early, before the last of the Apres crowd had left. Two hours after the lifts closed, they were in full swing... After they left, there was a palpable drop in noise level, but still boisterous. Good service, good food. BTW, the regular menu is still available on fondue night, but I'd go with the fondue- especially the desert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, good wine selection.PeaksRuleDined on 2/5/2014good food, good wine selection. Good value Wednesday night 'fondue special'. I just don't understand those last two booths in the restaurant. We were seated in the 2nd last booth -- it's located between the kitchen and the washrooms; never good. The booth behind us and in front both had windows. Ours had a wall. I asked if we could move 'one over' but was told it was reserved for 'someone who "owned" the table' or something like that. Left us feeling 'second class'; not that hard to do in Aspen. I prefer to make my mark on the hill as one of the Greatest Skiers to ever ski here! I shall be judged not by the thickness of my wallet but by the quality of my effortless arcs and airtime. :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a get togetherMicheleCDined on 1/31/2014We had a very good meal and good service. The elk was amazing! My only complaint is that when they confirmed a birthday dinner by phone, they never acknowledged it that evening adn I didn't make a big deal about it but thought it strange. Overall we had a really good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FondueFredDined on 1/6/2014Nice restaurant close to the gondola in aspen. Great food, good service and wine list.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Start to a Lovely EveningWhosureDined on 12/29/2013Excellent oysters and tuna tartare. The charcuterie plate was heavenly - the Iberico chorizo makes you want to come back as a pig just so you can taste that good you could take a bath in the coarse mustard. The truffle frites are amazingly decadent. Wash it all down with a bottle of the Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand and polish the night off listening to the Gypsy All Stars at the Jas Cafe - what a night!Special Features:
- Very goodBigeasyDined on 12/23/2013Food, service and ambience were great. Monica,our server, was very nice. My family and I will definitely return to Ajax on our next trip to Aspen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food for familiesYayaDined on 11/29/2013Went to dinner with friends. Had a difficult time finding a quiet table because the restaurant was very loud. It was nearly impossible to talk and hear what our friends were saying- Between the kitchen noise and numerous children crying and jumping in booths and running around . Yikes! Food and service was excellent.Special Features:
- After reading the hypeGP185VIPDined on 9/21/2013We were disappointed given all the great places to choose from in Aspen that we wasted our evening at Ajax. We were looking for a casual spot with good food. It was mediocre at best. I commented to the waitress that flavors of the salad were good but that I did not think the greens were very fresh. She said she was sure they had to be because it was their special for the day. We wouldn't recommend it nor would we return.Special Features:
- Took a friend for his firstBob1VIPDined on 9/14/2013Took a friend for his first time visit to AT - he'll be back soon! Best burger in town, great lamb bolognese, wonderful and friendly service. A true gem in Aspen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High quality,with mountain ambianceManjusriVIPDined on 8/30/2013Fantastic lunch spot, but also great for a casual dinner, mountainside. The menu is small but very interesting, and the wine list is exceptional. The service is very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ajax Tavern is not what it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/20/2013The food at Ajax used to be great comfort food. Now, the hamburgers make MacDonalds look like a gourmet emporium. They are dried out slabs of meat at Ajax. The incredible truffle fries are now soggy and overly truffled. The food is expensive and not worth the trip.Special Features:
- Good food and servicebasaltmarkDined on 8/8/2013It was a very pleasant experience with very good service. The weather was a bit cool and cloudy so we ate inside. I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysJanGDined on 8/6/2013We love the atmosphere and the truffle fries are a must! Fun for an adult night out but also kid friendly.Special Features:
- Always great food. ReliableOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/5/2013Always great food. Reliable fun neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food fine, service....sb18VIPDined on 8/3/2013perhaps it was because we asked for a table in a back corner, away from the noisiness of other sections, but we had difficulty getting the attention of the wait staff. had to ask twice to get milk for coffee (why wasn't it delivered with the coffee, or at least offered?) and again to pay the bill. the food was well prepared and tasty, but the service was disappointing.
- Yummm in the RockiesJanBugDined on 7/16/2013Seated quickly. Great lobster roll, yummy bread and awesome cocktail. Beautiful view and wonderful people watching. Fun place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Day trip to AspenMichelleDined on 7/10/2013We only had one day in Aspen, and we wanted to go up on mountain and come down and have a great lunch. Well let me tell you , the lunch was great. We sat outside right at base of the mountain. Nick, our waiter suggested the trout, and the ceviche appetizer. He was right on. Fantastic, the watermelon soup amazing. I would love to go back for dinner. Pricey, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst meal in a week of eating outrbjnyVIPDined on 7/8/2013Ajax Tavern is living on its location and its own hype. The uninspiring food is very overpriced, even for Aspen. The wait staff is cocky and seems totally disinterested in serving customers in general, only in hobnobbing with each other and restaurant regulars. We had to chase down the waiter to even pay our bill, which was much higher than for the far superior Pyramid Bistro and Wild Fig, among other Aspen restaurants worthy of patronage. Don't bother unless you just want to be seen at the foot of Aspen Mountain.
- Best Spot in AspenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/6/2013This is the place to have lunch, dinner and/or a drink in AspenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/6/2013The Ajax Tavern should stick to burgers and beers. My husband and I sat inside because the outside was very crowded and sunny. The "chef" YELLED each order to the kitchen staff, and the manager explained this to be an "open kitchen" and that's the way it's supposed to be. We found it to be obnoxious and grating. Also, the menu, other than a burger, attempted to provide fine dining but didn't make the mark. My husband's steak was tough, flavorless, and expensive, and my salad was a plate of lettuce with four lackluster shrimp. it is our opinion that this restaurant should stick to tavern fare such as burgers, sandwiches, flatbreads, etc. and leave the fine dining to the many other restaurants in Aspen that do it right.Special Features:
- Enjoyable Casual MealOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/5/2013Nice casual spot with beautiful patio. The duck confit ragout was very good. The roast chicken was so-so. Service was friendly. Cocktails and wine drove the price up, but overall a nice casual option in Aspen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy!!!!!!!!!mbnadocVIPDined on 7/3/2013We had dinner the other night, and because of rain, the patio was closed. The noise level in the restaurant was so loud, that I could not hear myself think! Something needs to be done with the acoustics, because the noise level ruined what would have otherwise been a very nice meal, with great service.Special Features:
- Limited menuGourmandellyVIPDined on 7/3/2013My husband complained about the limited menu. My fish was very good. They had only one California chardonnay by the glass at a price of $17--It was good, but they should have less costly choices.Special Features: