21 N Water Street
Port Hadlock, WA 98339Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ajaxcafe.com/
- Phone: (360) 385-3450
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Jon Luzadder
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Ajax Cafe
The Ajax Cafe is located on the waterfront in the historic district of (lower) Port Hadlock. We are committed to using fresh local ingredients to create memorable cuisine. We are fortunate to have access to the finest local seafood, locally grown fruits and vegetables from Red Dog Farms, local beef from Short's Family Farm, poultry from Spring Rain Farms, homemade breads and desserts as well as the incredible cooking talent it takes to put it all together. Our menu changes several times a year and our nightly specials include fresh seafood and seasonal dishes. Accessible by water, road and air! You will dine in the charming Galster House. The Galster House building was built in the late 1800's, this quaint building was once the home of Samuel Hadlock, the founder of our Town.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Ajax Cafe - Best Restaurants in Port Ludlow ›
Ajax Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (11)neighborhood gem (10)great for outdoor dining (6)special occasion (6)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (5)good for groups (4)hot spot (3)great for lunch (2)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)romantic (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- nice optionkate870Dined on 10/15/2014Setting something different and unique. Food was excellent. As a teacher i wouldn't wear hats but others were having fun doing so. Only suggestion, warm the bread. We would come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quirky favoriteBig8orDined on 9/20/2014Great food, attentive waitstaff in an unusual and fun local restaurant. Good seafood and steaks. Full barSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014The cafe did not get the reservation from Open Table but were able to seat us anywaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food amazing, service dismalOntheroadagainDined on 9/5/20144 of us had dinner at the Ajax last week. Place was packed. Had a 7 pm reservation. Seated at 7:20 pm. Took 30 minutes before we got our first drink, almost an hour before our salad. Salmon entree not prepared how it was requested. Everything else was delicious. Staff comped our drinks and the salmon entree without asking. Wait staff never apologized, but we thanked the maître'd for trying to make it right. Think it was just a bad night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ajax Cafedmcw920Dined on 9/3/2014After several disappointing dinners at highly recommended places, we were somewhat skeptical of Ajax Cafe. Our worries were unfounded. We had a fabulous meal - salmon & flat iron steak. Both were cooked & seasoned perfectly. We were a little hesitant after seeing the restaurant - it looks like a converted farm house. This only added to its quirkiness! Plus the hats hanging on the wall. The desserts other diners were getting looked amazing, but we had no room for any more food! Almost licked the plate clean! On an added note, call the restaurant after making a reservation using Open Table. There have been a couple of hiccups using it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MullinDined on 9/2/2014Crazy hats-----fun restaurant with a menu to meet every ones taste.....Special Features:
- Enjoyable mealrichbhamDined on 8/31/2014Friendly, quirky atmosphere, good food and wine. It was our second time here and it has been a fun evening both times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/27/2014We had to drive 40 minutes to get to the restaurant - worth every minute in transit:). Just great food and ambience.Special Features:
- outstandingAllietacomaDined on 8/2/2014Had a great meal and lots of fun at Ajax- definitely worth a detour if you're in the area. our group of 5 all had outstanding meals- everything was good. the clam chowder is AMAZING and i am not a chowder fan! we had fun with the hats and have some great pics. I don't know if they have music daily but the local guys playing on Sat are good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 15 reviews are from the Ajax Cafe reviews archive.
- goodeatsDined on 7/19/2014It's known in the area as the 'hat' restaurant'. Many fun old time hats to wear while eating a great meal & listening to live music. Outstanding steak, fish & ribs. Local wines & sodas are a real treatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gem off of the beaten pathOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2014Love this place! I've been two times--once with a friend and this last time with my husband. Both times, they exceeded expectations. Pt. Townsend is fun, but this sweet and cozy little restaurant is so fun and the food is yummy--you feel like a cool local, not a tourist. Funky live music, countless hats on the walls that diners pluck off and wear, nightly menus tucked into nostalgic album jackets…all lend to the groovy experience. The service, wine, food, and atmosphere are all wonderfully down-to-earth, while at the same time humbly achieving top-notch quality. Would go back in a heartbeat!Special Features:
- Eclectic and CharmingGmarocksonDined on 7/3/2014The food was delicious and the atmosphere was sort of like what you might imagine dinner at the mad hatter's might be like...but in a good way. The walls are full of crazy hats that diners put on to suit their mood while they eat...or I suppose you could bring your own. It is not a place of solemnity; it's a lively cafe. That none of the chairs, plates, glasses or much of anything else match is part of the quirky bit of fun that is the Ajax Cafe. If you like really good food and a bit of entertainment from a random piano player in the corner or the lively patrons then take in the Ajax. It's small though so you should make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected moreRexLucisDined on 6/29/2014Perhaps it's because I had read so many 5-star reviews of the Ajax Cafe I chose to take some friends (just four of us total) there for my birthday. I had made a reservation (several days ahead) and requested a table that is in a corner or somewhat more private location. Apparently the staff does not read requests submitted via OpenTable as we were seated in the middle of the restaurant with traffic on all sides and my request was never acknowledged. The food is overrated for what it is, with no creative dishes on the menu. Everything we ordered tasted pretty generic and run of the mill. Presentation was so so. Service was barely adequate, we felt ignored most of the time. Overall, I can't say I'd recommend this place for special occasions.Special Features:
- Wonderful FindfoodiegirlDined on 6/28/2014Great evening! The food was very good, the service was also good - it was a little bit noisy, but that was okay. Love the menus !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowjgbrinkVIPDined on 6/21/2014Was this a pleasant surprise! After participating in the Sound Rowers " Rat Island Race" and taking a chance with the open table reviews, I booked for 3 couples and I became a instant hero. The reservation was ready despite it being packed. We were cheerfully greeted. The music was live blue grass mixed with folk, not distracting but fit right in. We had 5 different courses and all were a hit. We were not rushed to leave and had a great time. We did not take part with the hats on the wall, but it was fun watching others. This is a must for those visiting the area. Bring your GPS to find it as it is a hidden gem.Special Features:
- Ajax Cafe gem of a FindnevadaRVerDined on 6/17/2014Ambience outstanding; patio dining available, unique w/jazz trio on Tuesday nights, bar service excellent as well; just DO NOT put Fisherman's Stew into a cardboard box for take-home, it LEAKS! LOLSpecial Features:
- dinneryulcdnDined on 5/18/2014Dinner at Ajax was a delight. Nothing matches..not the chairs, not the tables, not the plates and not the silverware. On hooks around the restaurant there are hats of all types for their guests to wear. ribs were excellentSpecial Features:
- serviceKathyDined on 3/27/2014The service was slow but it seemed there was only one server. Gave us time to talk and relax but it could be irritatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinneryulcdnDined on 10/3/2013ajax is a cute restaurant filled with hats and mismatched table settings. The staff is attentive. food was quite tasty...brownie dessert was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great foodDaveDined on 8/30/2013We come here when we have company and want to show them a great unique place. They have consistently come through with great service and great food. A fun eclectic place to eat.Special Features:
- Just Plain EnjoyablePointnopointDined on 8/17/2013We have dined at the Ajax many times and haven't been disappointed The food is good and very fresh There is usually live music and a great group of what looks like regulars dining but also many people who wander in or have been encouraged to try it while visiting the area, and with good reason. The atmosphere is relaxing, but the real joy comes from watching the people that are present just thoroughly enjoying themselves and the staff encouraging it From the food to the funky hats you can choose to where it is a gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good to be BackJunegDined on 7/6/2013I had not been to the Ajax for many years, but when I got an e mail that it was on Open Table, I thought I would give it a try. It is a bit out of the way, but it was so worth it. The food was very good years ago, but now it is outstanding. My guest and I shared a dinner salad. I have the special of the day which was a lightly crusted cod, over polenta. My friend had the fish stew. Both were very well prepared and delicious. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a fun place.RAZZMOVIPDined on 7/2/2013We come here often and with good reason. Great atmosphere, excellent value, great food and always a nice fun feeling about it. The servers are friendly and experienced and the service is top notch. You can't go wrong here.Special Features:
- WHAT A FIND!JimHVIPDined on 6/23/2013We wanted a scenic drive and great "find" for dinner. We got both and then some! I found the Ajax Cafe by doing an Open Table search. The drive was very nice and scenic. Ajax Cafe was beyond anything I would have expected. It's on the water near the port; an old house looking place that we would call "rustic". You'll first notice the hats; go with it.. A nice local crowd was welcoming of these "outsiders"; we felt right at home. had the BEST clam chowder of my life; an incredible broth with fresh clams in the shells.. Amazing. Everthing from there on was perfection. We had a vegetarian dish that was great and I had a killer burger. Live music too. Go Here. Take the Drive from Seattle. It's worth it! You can even wear their Hats!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.