Aixois French Restaurant & Coffee Bar
251 E. 55th Street
Kansas City, MO 64113Neighborhood:
Plaza / Brookside
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Aixois French Restaurant & Coffee Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.aixois.com/
- Phone: 8163333305
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Comfort Food, French
- Executive Chef: Emmanuel Langlade
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Aixois has a private dining room that seats up to 45 people. Beautiful high ceiling with 2 walls of windows. Very charming room for your special event or party!
- Private Party Contact: Megan Langlade 8165096074
A word from Aixois French Restaurant & Coffee Bar
This award winning casual French Bistro is located in charming Brookside on the picturesque trolley trail. Chef Emmanuel, originally from Aix-en-Provence, brings his simple Southern French homestyle cooking to Kansas City. If a bistro could stake its claim on one dish, Aixois" would be the Ruby Red Trout meuniere. The romantic spot is also home to the city's most delicious and authentic pommes frites! Voted Best French Restaurant in KC 2010!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Aixois French Restaurant & Coffee Bar - Best Restaurants in Plaza / Brookside ›
Aixois French Restaurant & Coffee Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (77)neighborhood gem (69)fit for foodies (50)great for lunch (44)romantic (40)special occasion (40)great for brunch (30)good for groups (19)notable wine list (12)scenic view (10)late-night find (6)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- lovely eveningConcertVIPDined on 9/28/2014Had a wondrful dinner with friends Sunday evening. Everyone seemed to enjoy the food and the outside dining. Our server was delightful!Special Features:
- Bad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/26/2014This was one of our all time favorite restaurants. HOWEVER, Friday evening was a mess. Service was awful. Waited way too long for drinks. Started with 2 bottles of wine. One had to returned - server indicated she thought it was bad when she opened it but didn't want to say anything. Items on the " special menu" were no longer available. One dinner was not brought at the same time as the others. We were seated in the front dining room which was noisy and most of the time had no servers available. SO SAD!!! It will be a while before any of us return. We were a party of 6.Special Features:
- Always a winner!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/23/2014Our group enjoyed our dining experience ....the service, food and atmosphere were top notch! Can't wait to go back for crossiants and coffeE some morning or a casual lunch. Loved eating on the patio .Special Features:
- Mom's birthdayChuckGVIPDined on 9/16/2014As always, great service and excellent food. It's why I keep Aixois at the top of my list for dining choices.Special Features:
- Great food, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/14/2014The food was excellent! Our server was great. The food took forever. It was worth it but excessively slow for breakfast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cherylVIPDined on 9/11/2014I visited Paris back in the spring. It was fun to eat at a restaurant that reminded me of Europe. The wine, chicken and bread were yummy and brought back great memories. Now, I'm looking forward to returning for breakfast sometime at the coffee bar.Special Features:
- Our favoriterfoodreviewVIPDined on 9/10/2014Once again a lovely date night at Aixois. The food is great. Jason really does an excellent job with fish. The bar is wonderful. Try The Last Gin and Tonic you will like it. Our favorite spot.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchSuburbstoCityDined on 9/7/2014Outdoor seating was perfect for a Sunday brunch. Excellent service and a nice variety on the menu. This is a terrific place to enjoy a relaxing, enjoyable meal. If you are on a time schedule this is not the place for you. This is a French style restaurant and that means you need to come with ample time to relax and enjoy your meal and atmosphere.Special Features:
- MackVIPDined on 9/6/2014Food and service always outstanding, lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/31/2014Love the outside dining and atmosphere. Patio was lovely as usual. Food and service was off the entire night. Out of mussels at 7pm on Saturday night--which is one of our fav things on menu and seems like horrible planning. Server was very nice, but incredibly slow. The experience was almost painful as there was so much time between courses. Ordered burger and salad was left off. Just seemed like everyone was phoning it in that night and not on their "A" game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food butLukemcgDined on 8/30/2014A restaurant I've gone to several times and will probably go again. It was a great experience for 3 kids in our party of six. Food was good. We were seated in side room with a very large, loud party. Ambiance is not the same as main room. Waitress seemed overtaxed with large table, outside tables and us so service suffered. Not my best experience at Aixois.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice neighborhood French bistro.Jim55Dined on 8/28/2014Aixois is a blend of neighborhood restaurant and classic French bistro--I highly recommend this restaurant! Outstanding food, great ambience (and a patio for outdoor dining)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014Everything we had was outstanding! The service was top notch and ambience was appropriate. Could have done without sports being aired on the bar TV causing loud guests to treat my immediate area like a sports bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodMikeDined on 8/22/2014The food was very good,as always. We eat here regularly and enjoy the ambiance, the consistently good food and reasonable prices. The wine list isn't big, but we've always liked the wines we've ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Normally it is fabulouswantedanicedinnerVIPDined on 8/15/2014I really like Aixois but the food was just ok this time. I had a salad and added a piece of salmon to it. Somehow it was salty and dry. Also the salad dressing did not appeal to me. I had requested balsamic vinagrette but I do not know what I received. Nevertheless, I have eaten here many times and have hosted events here. Every other meal has been perfect. I would still recommend this restaurant...I think I just had one less than perfect meal. By the way, the service is great. Everyone is great starting with the hostess and servers.Special Features:
- IglooMartynVIPDined on 8/15/2014While outside it was hot and humid, inside was only 1/3 full of guests and the thermostat must have been set to hang meat. It was freezing. While a full house will produce more body heat and wait staff deservedly need some cool air, it would be wise keep the customer in mind and raise the temp until it needs to be lowered! We met the new maitre'd--he's a charmer. Great addition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!DearandHonVIPDined on 8/3/2014On a rainy Sunday morning we stopped at Alxois...food was delicious...coffee and latte very good...bloody mary was tasty...not a big fan of served bottle orange juice...ambiance was fabulous...NOISY!...didn't help to be in the center of the room...loud talkers on both sides of our table and small children with mommies who were oblivious to their actons...major complaint...service...not sure what was going on with her...but just blah in attention to service detail...will we go back...probably not!Special Features:
- Delightful!LoveMyMomDined on 8/1/2014From the moment we walked in, perfect. Everything was just right, (especially the trout!) This bistro reminds me so much of my favorite place a la Rive Droite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- edlibDined on 8/1/2014We have eaten at Aixois many times and have never been disappointed. Server was helpful, response was reasonably quick for a crowded room. I started with escargot which were a bit too salty but still good, then a skirt steak under chimichurri sauce--excellent. My wife had an excellent Bibb lettuce salad and a trout that she enjoyed as well. Not a real extensive menu, but everything I've had there has been first-rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Parisian NightCrestwoodcharmerDined on 7/28/2014Beautiful evening so decided to sit outside. The tables are close but still comfortable and conversations don't seem to overlap much. The service was timely and consistent throughout the evening. There are nightly specials but I decided on the Trout Almondine which was spectacular and my friend had one of the specials which was a grilled shrimp in pasta with a light tomato sauce which she said was very good. We were there early- 6ish and the outside tables were full by 7. Dinner was priced well for what you got and the wine prices were also reasonable. A great neighborhood fine and an excellent place to meet for drinks and nibbles-Special Features:
- Surprising MenuKCKayCDined on 7/27/2014We went for Sunday dinner at 2 pm and found that dinner wasn't served until after 5. They were currently offering items from the brunch menu so we waited until 2:30 when the transitional menu was available and then decided on the quinoa salad, mine with chicken, his with salmon. I must say it was delicious and not something we would have tried from the dinner menu. Of course we always order the fries, too. We had the place pretty much to ourselves and the server had plenty of time to cater to all our needs, including bringing my husband way too may cups of the excellent coffee. It was quiet, calm and relaxing. We had a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunchRomanticVIPDined on 7/19/2014I have eaten there several times for lunch but was disappointed in dinner. The atmosphere inside was beautiful and even romantic. The conversation/noise level was high. Although the salad and sashimi were excellent, the fish and chips were fish sticks and McDonalds fries. Most of the menu was sandwiches and neighborhood suburban fare. Maybe I was expecting something different so I will take part of the blame. I expected a little more. I will keep eating there for lunch. The service was great both by wait staff and support staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be going back!LincolniteDined on 7/19/2014This was our first visit to Aixois and we will definently be going back. We had the Ruby Trout and Chicken Pillard, both were outstanding. This is our new favorite KC dining spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rghosDined on 7/19/2014It was a wonderful evening on the patio, good food, drinks and atmosphere. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch al frescoBerkeleyVIPDined on 7/19/2014We enjoyed lunch outside. Delicious food, well served and well presented. Quiche is always good ...rich and unusual with kale, this time.Special Features:
- SjnemethDined on 7/17/2014Turn down the music. Very cheesy. Overheard other guests making fun of it tooSpecial Features:
- The patioJdnkcDined on 7/12/2014I finally had the chance to experience outdoor dining at Aixois. We were able to get in earlier than our reservation thanks to plenty of seating on the warm outdoor patio. Despite some mess from nearby construction it was a beautiful place to eat and the food was excellent - very authentic French. We had the mussels, escargot, and onglet au poivre. Extras were a little pricey, but not out of line with other restaurants of this standard. One exception - the French blend wine was reasonably priced and excellent. The experience reminded me of France, and we really enjoyed our time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place to Bring Friends!JanetDined on 7/10/2014I brought my longtime friend, a former French teacher to Aixois and of course she loved it! Food is always exceptional and atmosphere and service always great. Thanks for a great evening!Special Features:
- Left hungrymom529VIPDined on 7/9/2014Our party of 4 arrived on time for a 6:30pm reservation. Our server took quite some time to acknowledge our presence, although the restaurant was nearly empty. We explained right away that we had tickets for Starlight and needed to leave by 8pm. We ordered soup/salads and entrees. The service was slow and not attentive, but we got our first course by 7. After 3 queries, and an unacceptable excuse from the server about a new chef who just wouldn't get the meals out, it was 7:50 and we had to leave without dinner! We paid for the salads, but no sincere apology was made and no attempt to encourage us to try Aixois again was forthcoming. A huge disappointment and a bad start to an evening out with friends.Special Features:
- Delicious choices. Deck BeautifulfakaulDined on 7/3/2014Charming spot. Would have loved to sit outside but with 78 degree temps it was way too popular. Instead I had a wonderful trout & gazpacho (sp).Special Features:
- Best place in KC for outdoor diningdinerddVIPDined on 6/24/2014Love eating here. Had a lovely weekday evening dinner sitting outside. Perfect temperature, no wind, no bugs. The seared foie gras was outstanding.Special Features:
- Always delightful.LoveMyMomDined on 6/21/2014One of our favorite places in the city. The seasonal specials are a treat.
- patio lunchRomanticVIPDined on 6/21/2014Great food. nice patio. cool drinks. repeat luncheon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coffee ShpppickydinerDined on 6/12/2014Expected a nice little French restaurant but the atmosphere is more "coffee shop". The chairs at our table had ripped and torn seats and not comfortable. This was a birthday celebration and we were very disappointed. The wine list also needs attention. We waited 15-20 minutes for a server to come to our table. The only saving grace was 2 of the 3 meals were very good.
- Nice location, average foodmoonriverDined on 6/11/2014Food was fine but nothing outstanding. Love the ambiance and neighborhood setting. Disappointed with the service, which was inattentive and slow. Although the restaurant was fairly empty the night we had dinner, we hardly saw our server. We sat quite awhile before he approached for our drink orders. During dinner we had to get his attention to refill empty water glasses.
- We love this little restaurantLouiseVIPDined on 6/7/2014We always sit outside and enjoy the lovely patio. The food was very good on our last visit though not incredible, as we have experienced in the past. Lovely staff - good wine and martinis! Only downer is they allow smoking on the patio, which we didn't even realize because most people are gracious enough to not light up so close to other diners, but one person was smoking on Saturday night. Sadly, that sort of ruins everything.Special Features:
- Aixios eveningSuburban1VIPDined on 6/5/2014Great food--super service! We love this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/5/2014We are always delighted to enjoy an evening at this restaurant. The food is great and the staff very pleasant.Special Features:
- The following 606 reviews are from the Aixois French Restaurant & Coffee Bar reviews archive.
- Anniversary dinner at AixoisswarrenDined on 5/31/2014It was our 17 year anniversary. I believe sitting outside is better than inside for us, but it was too hot to side outside. The food was excellent and our server Maria was superb. Had a really nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful French cuisinekcrrmanVIPDined on 5/29/2014Aixois offers the finest French cuisine in Kansas City. Nestled in the Crestwood Shops, Aixois is a neighborhood gem with a beautiful terrace for outdoor dining, a friendly and helpful staff, and exceptional food. One of faves!!Special Features: