Aixois French Restaurant & Coffee Bar
251 E. 55th Street
Kansas City, MO 64113Neighborhood:
Plaza / Brookside
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Aixois French Restaurant & Coffee Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.aixois.com/
- Phone: 8163333305
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Comfort Food, French
- Executive Chef: Emmanuel Langlade
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Aixois has a private dining room that seats up to 45 people. Beautiful high ceiling with 2 walls of windows. Very charming room for your special event or party!
- Private Party Contact: Megan Langlade 8165096074
A word from Aixois French Restaurant & Coffee Bar
This award winning casual French Bistro is located in charming Brookside on the picturesque trolley trail. Chef Emmanuel, originally from Aix-en-Provence, brings his simple Southern French homestyle cooking to Kansas City. If a bistro could stake its claim on one dish, Aixois" would be the Ruby Red Trout meuniere. The romantic spot is also home to the city's most delicious and authentic pommes frites! Voted Best French Restaurant in KC 2010!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Aixois French Restaurant & Coffee Bar - Best Restaurants in Plaza / Brookside ›
Aixois French Restaurant & Coffee Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (82)neighborhood gem (73)fit for foodies (54)special occasion (45)romantic (44)great for lunch (43)great for brunch (33)notable wine list (16)good for groups (16)scenic view (13)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Good food butOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014A restaurant I've gone to several times and will probably go again. It was a great experience for 3 kids in our party of six. Food was good. We were seated in side room with a very large, loud party. Ambiance is not the same as main room. Waitress seemed overtaxed with large table, outside tables and us so service suffered. Not my best experience at Aixois.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice neighborhood French bistro.Jim55Dined on 8/28/2014Aixois is a blend of neighborhood restaurant and classic French bistro--I highly recommend this restaurant! Outstanding food, great ambience (and a patio for outdoor dining)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014Everything we had was outstanding! The service was top notch and ambience was appropriate. Could have done without sports being aired on the bar TV causing loud guests to treat my immediate area like a sports bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodMikeDined on 8/22/2014The food was very good,as always. We eat here regularly and enjoy the ambiance, the consistently good food and reasonable prices. The wine list isn't big, but we've always liked the wines we've ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Normally it is fabulouswantedanicedinnerVIPDined on 8/15/2014I really like Aixois but the food was just ok this time. I had a salad and added a piece of salmon to it. Somehow it was salty and dry. Also the salad dressing did not appeal to me. I had requested balsamic vinagrette but I do not know what I received. Nevertheless, I have eaten here many times and have hosted events here. Every other meal has been perfect. I would still recommend this restaurant...I think I just had one less than perfect meal. By the way, the service is great. Everyone is great starting with the hostess and servers.Special Features:
- IglooMartynVIPDined on 8/15/2014While outside it was hot and humid, inside was only 1/3 full of guests and the thermostat must have been set to hang meat. It was freezing. While a full house will produce more body heat and wait staff deservedly need some cool air, it would be wise keep the customer in mind and raise the temp until it needs to be lowered! We met the new maitre'd--he's a charmer. Great addition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!DearandHonVIPDined on 8/3/2014On a rainy Sunday morning we stopped at Alxois...food was delicious...coffee and latte very good...bloody mary was tasty...not a big fan of served bottle orange juice...ambiance was fabulous...NOISY!...didn't help to be in the center of the room...loud talkers on both sides of our table and small children with mommies who were oblivious to their actons...major complaint...service...not sure what was going on with her...but just blah in attention to service detail...will we go back...probably not!Special Features:
- Delightful!LoveMyMomDined on 8/1/2014From the moment we walked in, perfect. Everything was just right, (especially the trout!) This bistro reminds me so much of my favorite place a la Rive Droite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- edlibDined on 8/1/2014We have eaten at Aixois many times and have never been disappointed. Server was helpful, response was reasonably quick for a crowded room. I started with escargot which were a bit too salty but still good, then a skirt steak under chimichurri sauce--excellent. My wife had an excellent Bibb lettuce salad and a trout that she enjoyed as well. Not a real extensive menu, but everything I've had there has been first-rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Parisian NightCrestwoodcharmerDined on 7/28/2014Beautiful evening so decided to sit outside. The tables are close but still comfortable and conversations don't seem to overlap much. The service was timely and consistent throughout the evening. There are nightly specials but I decided on the Trout Almondine which was spectacular and my friend had one of the specials which was a grilled shrimp in pasta with a light tomato sauce which she said was very good. We were there early- 6ish and the outside tables were full by 7. Dinner was priced well for what you got and the wine prices were also reasonable. A great neighborhood fine and an excellent place to meet for drinks and nibbles-Special Features:
- Surprising MenuKCKayCDined on 7/27/2014We went for Sunday dinner at 2 pm and found that dinner wasn't served until after 5. They were currently offering items from the brunch menu so we waited until 2:30 when the transitional menu was available and then decided on the quinoa salad, mine with chicken, his with salmon. I must say it was delicious and not something we would have tried from the dinner menu. Of course we always order the fries, too. We had the place pretty much to ourselves and the server had plenty of time to cater to all our needs, including bringing my husband way too may cups of the excellent coffee. It was quiet, calm and relaxing. We had a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunchRomanticVIPDined on 7/19/2014I have eaten there several times for lunch but was disappointed in dinner. The atmosphere inside was beautiful and even romantic. The conversation/noise level was high. Although the salad and sashimi were excellent, the fish and chips were fish sticks and McDonalds fries. Most of the menu was sandwiches and neighborhood suburban fare. Maybe I was expecting something different so I will take part of the blame. I expected a little more. I will keep eating there for lunch. The service was great both by wait staff and support staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be going back!LincolniteDined on 7/19/2014This was our first visit to Aixois and we will definently be going back. We had the Ruby Trout and Chicken Pillard, both were outstanding. This is our new favorite KC dining spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rghosDined on 7/19/2014It was a wonderful evening on the patio, good food, drinks and atmosphere. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch al frescoBerkeleyVIPDined on 7/19/2014We enjoyed lunch outside. Delicious food, well served and well presented. Quiche is always good ...rich and unusual with kale, this time.Special Features:
- SjnemethDined on 7/17/2014Turn down the music. Very cheesy. Overheard other guests making fun of it tooSpecial Features:
- The patioJdnkcDined on 7/12/2014I finally had the chance to experience outdoor dining at Aixois. We were able to get in earlier than our reservation thanks to plenty of seating on the warm outdoor patio. Despite some mess from nearby construction it was a beautiful place to eat and the food was excellent - very authentic French. We had the mussels, escargot, and onglet au poivre. Extras were a little pricey, but not out of line with other restaurants of this standard. One exception - the French blend wine was reasonably priced and excellent. The experience reminded me of France, and we really enjoyed our time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place to Bring Friends!JanetDined on 7/10/2014I brought my longtime friend, a former French teacher to Aixois and of course she loved it! Food is always exceptional and atmosphere and service always great. Thanks for a great evening!Special Features:
- Left hungrymom529VIPDined on 7/9/2014Our party of 4 arrived on time for a 6:30pm reservation. Our server took quite some time to acknowledge our presence, although the restaurant was nearly empty. We explained right away that we had tickets for Starlight and needed to leave by 8pm. We ordered soup/salads and entrees. The service was slow and not attentive, but we got our first course by 7. After 3 queries, and an unacceptable excuse from the server about a new chef who just wouldn't get the meals out, it was 7:50 and we had to leave without dinner! We paid for the salads, but no sincere apology was made and no attempt to encourage us to try Aixois again was forthcoming. A huge disappointment and a bad start to an evening out with friends.Special Features:
- Delicious choices. Deck BeautifulfakaulDined on 7/3/2014Charming spot. Would have loved to sit outside but with 78 degree temps it was way too popular. Instead I had a wonderful trout & gazpacho (sp).Special Features:
- Best place in KC for outdoor diningdinerddVIPDined on 6/24/2014Love eating here. Had a lovely weekday evening dinner sitting outside. Perfect temperature, no wind, no bugs. The seared foie gras was outstanding.Special Features:
- Always delightful.LoveMyMomDined on 6/21/2014One of our favorite places in the city. The seasonal specials are a treat.
- patio lunchRomanticVIPDined on 6/21/2014Great food. nice patio. cool drinks. repeat luncheon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coffee ShpppickydinerDined on 6/12/2014Expected a nice little French restaurant but the atmosphere is more "coffee shop". The chairs at our table had ripped and torn seats and not comfortable. This was a birthday celebration and we were very disappointed. The wine list also needs attention. We waited 15-20 minutes for a server to come to our table. The only saving grace was 2 of the 3 meals were very good.
- Nice location, average foodmoonriverDined on 6/11/2014Food was fine but nothing outstanding. Love the ambiance and neighborhood setting. Disappointed with the service, which was inattentive and slow. Although the restaurant was fairly empty the night we had dinner, we hardly saw our server. We sat quite awhile before he approached for our drink orders. During dinner we had to get his attention to refill empty water glasses.
- We love this little restaurantLouiseVIPDined on 6/7/2014We always sit outside and enjoy the lovely patio. The food was very good on our last visit though not incredible, as we have experienced in the past. Lovely staff - good wine and martinis! Only downer is they allow smoking on the patio, which we didn't even realize because most people are gracious enough to not light up so close to other diners, but one person was smoking on Saturday night. Sadly, that sort of ruins everything.Special Features:
- Aixios eveningSuburban1VIPDined on 6/5/2014Great food--super service! We love this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/5/2014We are always delighted to enjoy an evening at this restaurant. The food is great and the staff very pleasant.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinner at AixoisswarrenDined on 5/31/2014It was our 17 year anniversary. I believe sitting outside is better than inside for us, but it was too hot to side outside. The food was excellent and our server Maria was superb. Had a really nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful French cuisinekcrrmanVIPDined on 5/29/2014Aixois offers the finest French cuisine in Kansas City. Nestled in the Crestwood Shops, Aixois is a neighborhood gem with a beautiful terrace for outdoor dining, a friendly and helpful staff, and exceptional food. One of faves!!Special Features:
- Service lackingDinerDined on 5/28/2014Food incredibly well prepared, and presented hot, but that was about the last we saw of a server. Usually much more attentive, but not tonite.Special Features:
- First experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2014Prefer escargots served in the shell and a little less time in the pan as ours were a bit overcooked. The mussels, though pictured quite plump on the website, were extremely small and as they are farm raised it should not be a problem to get medium or larger. A lot of shells for so little content. The desert and service were quite good, the ambiance quiet conversations. Will have to try some other menu items for a better overall review.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful neighborhood spot!JerryDined on 5/24/2014You will enjoy excellent food in a delightful setting in one of Kansas City's most charming neighborhoods. Our four meals were all beautifully presented and were all delicious. I know you will enjoy this neighborhood gem in the mid-town area of Kansas City!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really???KBBBQDined on 5/22/2014Although the trout I ordered was terrific, it was my 2nd choice. The restaurant had a "Specials" menu and they were out of two of the three main courses they offered. I was really excited to have the rack of lamb and my wife wanted to order the Prawns. The waitress told us right off the bat that they were out of prawns (bummer for my wife). Then after placing my order for rack of lamb she came back to tell me they were out of the lamb. OK, if we had dining at 9:00 I get it. But this was at 7:00! The chef should NEVER offer a special that he/she does not have enough to serve throughout the evening! We love Aixois but were extremely disappointed. Dear Chef, TAKE A COURSE IN INVENTORY MANAGEMENT!Special Features:
- Great place!JazzGeekDined on 5/20/2014My teenage daughter wanted to celebrate her birthday at Aixois. I must say she has great taste! The food was great, the ambience was elegant but not stuffy. We've been several times and hope to be back soon. I especially enjoy the outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good food, great serviceParisOnThePlainsDined on 5/19/2014Aixois is a reliable and enjoyable dining experience. They provide a great selection of French inspired dishes. the quality of the preparation and the attention to detail is very good. I always have a great service experience there as well. For a fine meal with a good selection of wines, in a nice setting, it is hard to go wrong at Aixois.Special Features:
- Service slow; lunch special OKmkedinerDined on 5/17/2014We usually have a great dining experience but on this day, we waited 45 minutes for our food. We were having a mid-afternoon lunch (arrived at 2:15). The outdoor dining area was almost full, but we were inside because of the size of our group. Inside was very empty so we didn't understand why there was a delay. I had their cod and chips lunch special. The breading on the fish was very bland. The tarter sauce was the only thing adding taste to the fish. Everything else was up to our expectations for Aixois. I will just assume that the speed of service was the result of some unforeseen or unusual event.Special Features:
- Great Place for a Special OccasionquantumgirlDined on 5/11/2014We were seated for Mother's Day brunch (on the attractive patio, partly shaded, with potted herbs on the tables) ahead of our reservation, and the flowers I'd ordered were waiting and beautiful. Service was excellent. The pomme frites with truffle oil were sublime -- hand-cut, perfectly crispy on the exterior and succulently moist inside (ask for a side of mayo for dipping!). The Quiche Lorraine was amazing, a savory-bacony cross between a custard and a cheesecake. The Farm Table breakfast (vegetarian) and Yogurt Parfait were also delicious. Fine but less stellar were the soup (gazpacho), salads, and breakfast potatoes (cut up fries with onions in vinaigrette?). Prices were quite reasonable. I definitely recommend and will happily return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Server was BadGrahamDined on 5/11/2014We went for Mother's Day brunch. One page menu, the server gave us over 20 minutes to look at it before she took our order. The restaurant was not full at all, she spent most of her time hanging out behind the bar. I could tell there were some good servers on the floor, we just pulled a terrible one. However, we will be back, especially for Happy Hour, and just hope we aren't seated in her section again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terribly dissappointedSydissatisfiedDined on 5/6/2014Our party of 10's reservation requested outdoor seating in advance. Our party arrived on time and were informed that it wasn't possible to accommodate us (the entire outdoor seating was filled). It was slow service overall, they ran out of wine glasses and we received small pours of wine in smaller glasses. Our waitress was rude and we didn't appreciate a padded 18% gratuity, especially on the wine bottles we consumed. The gentleman that was seated next to us was irate because he felt, as a "regular" he received poor service, lesser than usual amounts of food and drink and overall, just didn't feel appreciated for his patronage. He left abruptly and I wish we had as well.