364 Calle Fortaleza
Old San Juan, PR 00901Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oofrestaurants.com/
- Phone: 7877220665x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Nightly: 5:00pm - 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Caribbean, Seafood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Aguaviva
Aguaviva, opened in 2002, specializes in "Seaside Latino Cuisine" the freshest fish and seafood prepared with Latino - Caribbean flair by chef Hector Crespo, and fraturing an amazing ceviche and oyster bar in front of an open kitchen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Aguaviva reviews from OpenTable diners
- Small group with childPleasedDined on 5/3/2014Our experience was a pleasurable one. We were a group of four adults and one child. You were very accommodating in getting her a child's plate while maintaining excellence of quality. As for the adults, everyone was impressed and satisfied with the food an service. We would all recommend you to other people. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/2/2014Great find, excellent location on Ocean, food and service were great. a definite go to again placeSpecial Features:
- great food and servicejackiel224Dined on 4/17/2014My boyfriend and I throughly enjoyed our experience at Aguaviva. The staff is friendly and the restaurant is decorated beautifully. The seafood was delicious. Right in the center of Old San Juan. Highly recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FINDSteveDined on 4/14/2014After several days of Puerto Rican cuisine, my wife and I were ready for a change. Our palates were thinking seafood! After reviewing several spots we settled on AGUAVIVA. It turned out to be a great choice. The atmosphere was what I call "bistro", lots of energy and noise, great lighting and interesting décor. We had the cerviche sampler which was incredible along with whole red snapper. I only wish we had an opportunity to come back another night to try other dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A "Must Eat At"AlanDined on 4/11/2014Spending a few days in San Juan, Puerto Rico and this was one of the 3 places on the 'must eat at' list. Dinner was great with a range of fish dishes that were outstanding. Both the halibut and the grouper were terrific dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AquavivaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014I found this restaurant on a google search- a native Puerto Rican who lives in the states compiled the best of San Juan dining. After reading the reviews of his recommendation, I looked up Aquaviva online. From there, I found that I could reserve through Open Table. Within minutes, I had a reservation for the time that I had requested. Not once did I follow up with the restaurant (two weeks prior to trip) or contact the restaurant on my arrival. My husband and I showed up to the restaurant on the date/time requested and our reservation was there. The ceviches were amazing! We ordered enough food for 4 people and enjoyed every bit of it. OpenTable was easy and reliable!Special Features:
- The food was great and ourlbebryDined on 4/4/2014The food was great and our waiter was very attentive, however, we made a reservation and then waited 45 mins to sit down because they just gave our table away to another party. Further, the reservation was for 9pm on Friday, by the time we left the restaurant around 11:30 it was completely empty and the staff was already cleaning around us. Again, the food was great, but if you're gearing up for a night out, perhaps the energy here this late is maybe not the best choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SO GOODfoodroxmysoxoffDined on 4/2/2014This restaurant was FANTASTIC. I highly recommend it! Our waitress was attentive and friendly, and the food was absolutely amazing. A reservation would probably be good in the evening as the dining room is relatively small, but if you have the chance to dine here, you should go for it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing fish and seafoodMiguelDined on 4/1/2014The mahi mahi was to do die for and so was the calamari! do not skip these two. Overall it was a great experience and the prices were not too expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treasure in Old San JuanBrendaDined on 4/1/2014If you like seafood and appreciate the culinary arts, this is quite the find. Small and intimate in size, with a staff who are passionate about what they do, you will be mesmerized by what comes to the table. The paella, grouper, jerk chicken, and ceviche with avocado are all strongly recommended. Our family of four adults all felt welcome and cherished. I want to go back and wish I lived closer. Next trip to San Juan....a definite stop.Special Features:
- trendy expensivegabrielglassDined on 3/31/2014I don't mind paying top dollar for a great meal, but it burns me to pay top $ for average food. The waitress could have turned our mediocre experience into something better with a smile or warm words, but we got a snooty attitude. This was surprising because every place we went the receptions were warm and hospitable. We met many friendly servers that explained the menus. My son had chicken thighs with rice and beans. Maybe a $12 entrée elsewhere, here $24. Cevice and oysters were ok but overpriced for the small portion. After arriving back to our apartment we all had a snack and were disappointed that our last meal in PR was such a downer.
- Perfect MealAnythingOnceDined on 3/30/2014This was an outstanding meal from start to finish. The ceviches were amazing and had a wide range of flavors without losing the light freshness of the fish, the sangria was flavorful, the oysters were on point and the deserts were divine. With a welcoming wait staff and fun and modern décor that doesn't forget it is in the Caribbean, Augaviva still retains a romantic vibe that provided a wonderful experience from the moment we walked in.Special Features:
- unorganizedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2014We were here on a Saturday night with a 9:30pm reservation. There was a party of 10 guys there for a bachelor's party so it was very busy and the service was pretty bad. The waiter was helpful when he took our orders, but we did not get anything to eat until 10:30pm. There was a table of 3 next to us that were seated after us who got their meals before us. So we are not sure what happened. The waiter never apologized for the wait and when we finally were done we got the wrong check,it was $75.00 more. The food was good, especially the appetizers but not good enough for us to go back on a weekend night.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/26/2014By far the best food we had on our trip to San Juan. Great service to go along with it too, it's great when the servers are able to recommend a dish and the chefs make it amazing. The food should have been $100/ plate, but the prices were incredible, $100 for 2 people. An overall great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food and friendlyTerryDined on 3/19/2014Very innovative seafood dishes. Fresh and well presented. A little noisy but still nice ambience. Children and families are welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing dinnerFrankinHKVIPDined on 3/15/2014Upon arrival we were promptly seated but with no real hello or welcome. Instead we were immediately asked if we wanted to purchase a discount card for their other restaurants. This cheapened the experience. The waiter was very friendly and we ordered their signature crab cakes to start. The waiter returned apologizing that they were out of this dish. I found this odd as it was 7pm on a Saturday night, seems early to be out of a signature dish. The main courses were delicious, cooked perfectly. Lighting is way too dark, we asked for a new candle as ours was way too dim. They said 'sure' but forget. We exchanged candle with empty table nearby. I was eating spicey jerk chicken and had to repeatedly ask for water glass to be refilled.
- Great cevichepatrickVIPDined on 3/6/2014Great selection and tasting sizes of ceviche from mild to spicy. The watermelon sangria was also a great accompaniment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SurprisePucksDined on 3/5/2014We had a wonderful experience at Aquaviva. My wife and I shared the Paella which was marvelous and somewhat different in that it was orzo-based, not rice-based. It was more than enough for the both of us. The show stealer, however, was the ceviche. We tried 2 different kinds, the octopus and red snapper. They were the best I have ever tasted, and we have traveled extensively through Mexico and central America. The Mojitos were gems, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Agua Viva Restaurantluv2eatDined on 3/5/2014Visited this restaurant while on cruise. Wife found online and made reservations about a week or so before we left for the cruise. Once there, staff was really friendly and informative, food was awesome! When I go back to Puerto Rico, we are definitely going back to AguaViva!!!!Special Features:
- Try the CevicheJerseyJoeCDined on 3/1/2014All of the fish we has was great, but the Ceviche sampling menu was great. If you like spices, thy the Mahi. Hot from the first bite, but the spice level was consistent and terrific. Very nice atmosphere and very convenient location in Old San Juan.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise level over the topMpk52Dined on 2/25/2014It appeared that too many people were seated at the same time causing a backup at the bar and in the kitchen. We stood in front of the bar while we waited to be seated.There was one bartender looking a bit stressed trying to keep up with all the orders. When we finally got to our table ,we saw the couple next to us leave after only being served water. The noise level was so high it made conversation with our group and our server difficult. Our server, Billy, was very personable though and did a dreat job.The food was very good. It's too bad we picked such a busy Tuesday night. I would maybe come back, but it wouldn't be my first choice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/23/2014This restaurant has a prime location - first corner that tourists encounter entering Old San Juan. I think because of that, it is busier than the food warrants. It is solid and you will enjoy it, it is just not as great as some reviews. A local let us know that it was a stronger restaurant some time ago. Stronger restaurants in Old San Juan would include Marmalade (better food, service, ambiance) and Cafe St Germain (more casual, but better food).
- fresh, fresh, freshNvizbleVIPDined on 2/20/2014Lives up to the hype. Ceviche, oysters, fish entrées were all amazing. The dining area is a little small and noisy. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty DisappointingmissemieeDined on 2/19/2014I had much higher hopes for this place based on all the great reviews. Had reservations for 8:30pm and arrived 5 mins early. There are a bit of a wait at the hostess station which is cool but when it was out turn to check in she didn't even ask my name. Told us that some diners would be finishing shortly and pointed to where we would be seated. When that table was clear, it was given to four ladies that walked in about 20 mins after us. I was cool with letting that slide. Ended up waiting a total of 40 mins for a table we had reservations for. Would have been willing to overlook it if the food would have been good. I had the lobster and it was so tough I couldn't chew it. Oysters were ok and the waiter was friendly. Just overall a letdown.Special Features:
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014The tables were crowded together. The crowd was noisy. The tuna was dry and its taste was only fair. The shrimp were hardily recommended but were only fair to good. However, the mousse for dessert was killer.
- The ceviche was outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014The ceviche was outstanding. The rest was pretty good. I love the atmosphere and it was romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant had greatserenaDined on 2/14/2014This restaurant had great food and service but a real cheap feel to the environment. It says, by the sea, however it is not anywhere near the sea and there is certainly no ocean view! It is a small space on the side of one of the main roads in Old San Juan, so it is close to other restaurants, but the vibe is certainly not chic! Although the food and service made up for it- so if you don't care about the atmosphere- this is your place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodIcfire9Dined on 2/14/2014The food was delicious and the service was great! We will revisit this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good mealtpdolsDined on 2/10/2014We enjoyed our meal at Aguaviva, We were seated promptly and the waiter explained the menu and helped with suggestions. Wine list was somewhat limited but after 2 tries found a nice compliment to our meal. Ceviche was outstanding. Fish was cooked very well and accompaniments highlighted the dish. Great pick in old san juanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Surprise!WBHedisDined on 2/10/2014Great Ceviche! Party of 5 shared 3. Amazing. Entrees were cnsistently good and plentiful. The seared shrimp was truly to die for -- beautiful plate, great sauce. My husband raved about the crab cake. And they have gluten free menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for twoTravelerDined on 2/8/2014The food and service were excellent. Great place to celebrate our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very enjoyabledougieDined on 2/3/2014food was excellent, service even better. The best place I've eaten in PR since I arrived. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- This place is delicious. FreshOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/3/2014This place is delicious. Fresh seafood and the waitstaff was very helpful making recommendations. I would recommend this place to everyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was the best meal I had inJudiDined on 2/3/2014Was the best meal I had in my recent trip to Puerto Rico.Special Features:
- Lively dinningkjninamherstVIPDined on 2/1/2014We shared the 6 type ceviche course, every one was unique and interesting. The watermelon mojitos were amazing! Fun place to go for fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/31/2014Grat seafood dining in beautiful, convenient location (Old San Juan).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Juan 6 star restaurant!!!EnjoysfoodDined on 1/28/2014Aquaviva was tremendous! A very different and varied menu. The service was great and the ambiance also was great. The food was awesome. The crab cake appitizer was spectacular. The Dorado (mahi mahi) fish and the snapper were delicious. The mofongo side and the lobster mashed potatoes were out of this world. I have a feeling everything from this restaurant would be delicious. Looking forward to dining there again,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aguaviva Continues to Impress...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/25/2014Went back to Aguaviva in late January after missing it for a few years when vacationing in Condado/San Juan. They still continue to impress with food, ambiance and service. Emannuel was our server and he was excellent. Make a reservation and enjoy a wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a great first impressioncmarieVIPDined on 1/25/2014Host told us we had to wait 20 Minutes past our reservation time and was not welcoming at all. We went to the bar to order drinks and the bartender ignored us and we had to ask for drink menus. When asked about a particular drink she was clueless and very rude. First impression was horrible until we sat and met our waitress. She was friendly, pleasant and knowledgable about the menu. She truly saved the night. The ceviche and drinks were good but the entrees not worth the cost, just mediocre. I would not return.
- Not up to expectationsCherVIPDined on 1/23/2014From the reviews and ratings and word on street about Aguaviva, we were expecting something different or more. Since we were not interested in oyster bar, it limited our selection. We also learned about cevich which we had not experienced before and only one of us liked it. The waitress was outstanding, however she misguided my choice of how the filet was to be cooked and I should've stuck to my usual medium rare; it too well done but tasty. The snapper was the other choice and it was enjoyed. It is a small place, and you do get squeezed in between the wall and kitchen staff and chefs. there was no bar of course. It was cute inside done differently but I think we were looking for a less energetic restaurant .Special Features: