301 Water St. SE
Washington, DC 20024Neighborhood:
Contemporary MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://agua301.com/
- Phone: 2024840301
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Wednesday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Thursday – Friday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Saturday: 10:30am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 10:30am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Agua 301
Aqua 301 celebrates the culture and cuisine of Mexico taking contemporary Mexican cuisine and infusing it with modern flair. This is not Tex Mex! Chef Antonio Burrell tweaks traditional Mexican ingredients and flavor profiles through experimental ingredient combinations and serves it up waterside in Yards Park.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Agua 301 - Best Restaurants in Navy Yard ›
Agua 301 reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (80)scenic view (72)neighborhood gem (35)good for groups (29)fit for foodies (23)great for lunch (22)hot spot (18)great for brunch (17)vibrant bar scene (15)special occasion (14)kid-friendly (13)romantic (9)late-night find (4)notable wine list (1)Show More
- deliciousDeliciousVIPDined on 9/12/2014The food was delicious and service was great! The only negative was that I asked for the ingredients to the Mexican Seafood soup and the Chef said "google it" I did and I did not see the one he made but I will be back! The Mexican seafood soup was perfection.Special Features:
- ExpectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014The menu's description was different from what I received.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for happy hourMelissaFDined on 9/8/2014Stopped by for happy hour before a nationals game. It wasn't crowded at the bar at 5, so that's a huge plus. Food wasn't outstanding, but was great for the happy hour price. Would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nats Park dining and parking optionTreehousedadVIPDined on 9/7/2014The best thing about Aqua 301 is its proximity to Nats Park and great location on Water Street, followed by its valet parking for 1/2 the price of parking in Stadium lots. I have now been here twice; the service was better sitting in the bar area than back in the restaurant, where drinks came quickly. The homemade guac and salsa are very good. Soft tacos were mushy but flavorful. Hamburger with fried egg and chorizo was unique and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekday Evening DinnerdcfoodiemvVIPDined on 9/3/2014My friend and I finished up our run in Navy Yard last week and decided to grab a bite at this new restaurant. It was nice weather, so we sat outside. I've heard it's crowded during National's games, but on this particular night (no game) it was fairly empty. The food was excellent and our server was very friendly. We had the queso appetizer and I ordered the fish tacos and the pork belly tacos. Both were amazing! The margarita was also very good--definitely made with high-quality tequila. We had a few special requests (gluten free) for the food and cocktails and they were able to accommodate all of them! I will definitely be coming back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome FinddcsapperVIPDined on 9/2/2014I heard about Agua 301 and had been next door to the Osteria, so when the situation presented itself, I jumped at the chance to dine afresh. This is a wonderful find. The food was excellent, the service attentive, but not excessively so and we had a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- decent but not greatAviddinerVIPDined on 8/31/2014pleasant, nice location, the Italian restaurant next door has the more desirable view The tacos were good, the guacamole was lacking in flavor, the classic margarita was a bit lukewarm - more Tex-Mex than MexSpecial Features:
- pre-Nats brunchpollyannaDined on 8/24/2014We chose Aqua 301 because of its proximity to Nationals Stadium for brunch prior to a Sunday game. The menu was diverse enough for a variety of tastes, the drinks tasty, the service very attentive, and the food quality very good. We ate outdoors with a nice view of the river, so noise etc. was not a factor. The only negative was that only one of the restrooms was operational, so there was a line. However, assuming that was a short-term problem, I would definitely eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HarperHoundDined on 8/23/2014Chocolate mousse with chipotle is amazingly good. The shrimp special was very good, too. Love the chocolate mousse with chipotle. The shrimp special was very good. Carnitas with pepper and onions was spicy and very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodDinersVIPDined on 8/20/2014Great food and drink for an impromptu evening! The salmon was super.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downhill SlideCapHillFoodieVIPDined on 8/17/2014We've dined here several times. First time was great - went prior to a Nats game. Enjoyed their guacamole and assortment of tacos. However, each time we've been back since, I've noticed a significant decline in food quality but an even greater decline in service. Waiters disappear and are unattentive. Our last waiter actually said he forgot about us! The host/hostess act as though your presence is a huge burden. And the place can be near empty but they'll rudely turn you away without a reservation because 'the kitchen can't handle any more customers.' This place needs adult supervision or it is going to fail.Special Features:
- Good but could be betterJONROGDined on 8/16/2014Baja fish tacos were delicious; chicken tacos not so much. Guacamole was slimy and overly infused with tomatoes, plus the two baskets of broken chip pieces didn't help. Disappointed in the plantains - 5 slices for $6....not worth that much AT ALL. Churros were good. Ambiance and outdoor seating near the water and the view of the stadium were nice.Special Features:
- Don't waste your moneyAranksDined on 8/16/2014They food was definitely not worth the price. I got the white fish ceviche and was extremely disappointed, tasted like the fish was fresh from a can.Special Features:
- Good food, terrible servicetigerpsfDined on 8/16/2014The service was horrible on a Saturday at 5pm. We had reservations & it still took someone 5 minutes to even show up seat us. We finally sat down & our server was at our table within 2 minutes. We ordered drinks (2 beers and 2 regular margaritas, not hard!) 10 minutes later our food order was taken & we asked about our drinks. In broken English she said, "they are coming.", smiled & walked away. 15 minutes later we asked again where are our drinks. She said, "The bar is backed up." Then our food arrived & still no drinks! 45 minutes later our drinks arrived. We saw other tables who sat down after us got their drinks & chips, we had to ask for those. No one refilled our water or even came back to check on us. AWFUL SERVICE!!Special Features:
- JMFADined on 8/16/2014Service was slow. Wasn't the cleaness place that i've been to. Server was overwhelmed. Needed more help especially if you know that the NATS are playing at home. Was very hard to find. Need better signage.Special Features:
- GroupOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014Very accommodating to our party of 10. Splitting checks any way we asked. Fast, efficient service. Innovative dishes, small portions. Pleasant staff. Beautiful location in Yards Park. Later dinner available. Extensive Tequilla list. I'd eat there again.Special Features:
- Not greatDinnerdinerDined on 8/15/2014The food was overpriced and our waiter didn't pay any attention to us until he brought the check. This restaurant has a prime location but lacks the professionalism and greatness to match.Special Features:
- Good, nothing specialaLOCALDined on 8/15/2014This restaurant is good. Nothing special. Would i return, yes. It is a little bit on the pricey side but not too bad.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/12/2014Ladies, do not hear heels! The floor was extremely slippery. The food was delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/11/2014This was our first visit, but definitely not our last! The food was amazing!!! We had the queso with sausage (so yummy!) and the guacamole for an appetizer...highly recommend both! The fish tacos and the mole melted in our mouths! Our server, Joeseph, was awesome! So helpful and friendly!Special Features:
- Close to Nationals ParkAmuBDined on 8/11/2014We went here prior to the One Direction concert and they were one of the few places accepting reservations. Kids menu is decent and they enjoyed people watching from outside. Would definitely visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly DeliciousballetscienceDined on 8/8/2014My boyfriend and I went here for a night out on the town on vacation. It was a Friday night, and although the area was very busy, the returaunt wasn't too full. The service wasn't stellar, we had to wait for almost every step of the process, but in their defense our waiter was training someone new that night. However, the food was worth the wait. It was absolutely terrific! If you are looking for food with Mexican flavor, but with a twist, this is the place to go. Even something as little as their salsa was fantastic. 10/10 would go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedLydiaDined on 8/8/2014Tried getting into this place a couple of weeks ago but there was a two hour wait so decided to go some place else. Went back and there were plenty of tables , but what a disappointment. Won't be going back
- good ambiance terrible serviceElegant1VIPDined on 8/7/2014I had a business lunch there after someone recommended it. Horrible service and a limited menu.Special Features:
- Lovely TerraceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/5/2014I had a very pleasant dinner here before a baseball game. The terrace has a fine view of the Anacostia River, and of all the new development in the area. Its Mexican, but not Tex-Mex - lighter and more interesting. Fish tacos were very good and so was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food with a viewDMVFoodieDined on 8/3/2014I wanted to take my sister visiting from California somewhere with a good view. This place was perfect. I was worried about parking since it was a game day but I was happy to see there was a lot for the yards park restaurants for only $2.00 an hour. I had made a reservation because I know how crazy places in DC can get for brunch but when we showed up the place was practically empty. It was way too hot and muggy to sit outside but we were directed to a perfect little table for two with the same awesome view as if we sitting outside. The service was great! The food was good, not my favorite Mexican place but the peach frozen sangria and the view made up for the not so amazing food.Special Features:
- Terrific Venue, Kitchen So-soMarginallyUsefulVIPDined on 8/2/2014Tis is a relatively new restaurant in the Navy Yards area near the baseball stadium. It has a terrific view overlooking the Anacostia Walkway and a park-like setting; the outdoor tables are definitely worth the wait, but inside is handsome too. Unfortunately the excellent venue isn't matched by the kitchen. If they aren't going to do traditional Tex-Mex favorites and want to do something "modern", they better get it right. A recent Beef Barbacoa dish was a glop of rice & shredded beef with some VERY tough pieces of meat, not particularly tasty, and the Chicken Tinga tacos were watery and didn't have that much chicken. I'll give it one more try but I recommend they just try to do popular Tex-Mex, which is easier to get right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Texasfoodie2014Dined on 8/2/2014Terrible service specifically from the waiter. Poor attitude bordering on rude. Said chips were served only if v ordered food? Wanted to clear the plates even before we were finished eating. Margaritas & food are very average. Nice location with good outdoor seating. Nice hostess.Special Features:
- OkMayr71Dined on 8/2/2014Not mind blowing. Was served tap water unfiltered. You'd think with the name the water would be Good
- Great happy hour before a game!DannyDined on 8/1/2014Didn't know this place was ever here!! Great place to do happy hour and dinner before a Nats game! Gordon Birsch is always packed... We got a table right away at This place, happy hour specials at the bar, and a great view of the riverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tacos!NoelleVIPDined on 8/1/2014Great taco place next to the ball park. Went for a weekday lunch and food & service was good. Tacos were really excellent. Can't wait to go back before/after a baseball game. Right on the water with a beautiful view.Special Features:
- great food - not good pre-eventMeganHBVIPDined on 7/26/2014we had a 6:30 reservation for an 8pm event at Nats park. They were clearly overwhelmed. We didn't get seated until just before 7. Service was not good (ordered ice tea upon sitting down - didn't receive it til after the entrees). The food was great though, as were the margaritas. I would definatly come here again - but NOT before an event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodkmc2014VIPDined on 7/26/2014Very lively spot. We were there before the Billy Joel concert so they were slammed, but I can imagine it is very busy other nights. Food is very good, comes out very fast and the frozen lime margarita was great. Servers are very friendly and enthusiastic. I would go back on a non-concert or non-game night.Special Features:
- kernieFreemanVIPDined on 7/26/2014We had a 6 p.m. reservation and were finally seated at 7 p.m. and then only because I spied 1 empty round and 1 empty square table outdoors and asked that they be put together. The desk was overwhelmed and unable to keep track of reservations while turning away walk-ins. Could not get a drink at the crowded bar. Guacamole was very good as were the chips and salsa. My fish tacos were great but the pork belly and beef tacos were not. There were only 3 small shrimp on a companions chipotle shrimp the addition of some rice made for a very meager entrée. The beef entrée with yucca frites looked awful but was pronounced good. Sangria, margarita and gin and tonic seemed watered down. Wine was mediocre.
- wondering what could have beenpennsgrooverVIPDined on 7/26/2014We had reservations before the July 26 Billy Joel concert. It took about 5-6 minutes to get a bartenders' attention so we could order drinks. We opted to eat outside, where service was uneven at best. The servers were pleasant, but there was no organization, and there were way too many people for them to handle. We were served hot appetizers and guacamole a good 10 minutes before we were given plates, napkins, and silverware. Other outdoor tables had the same problems that we encountered. We imagine the food was quite tasty while it was still hot. We also wonder if service would have been more even had we eaten inside.
- Excellent Mexican Food Near NatsbillyjoelfanDined on 7/26/2014Went to Agua 301 before a concert. The place was hopping but they took us right away since we had a reservation. The food was excellent - we had the house guacamole, some smaller bites and the fish tacos. For dessert we ordered the Tequila bread pudding - a great choice! We were VERY happy with our order. Hope this place stays around for a long time to come.Special Features:
- Disappointment from Start to Finishclt0427Dined on 7/26/2014Excited to try this place for a pre-concert meal. Was thinking it would be perfect for some yummy drinks and apps with great views and fun vibe. We sat at a table that seemed to be thrown in to accommodate more people, server was rushing us to make selections. Drinks were terrible (couldn't even finish my sangria) and the food was just mediocre. Came out so fast that I wondered how fresh it could be... HUGE disappointment.
- Tasty meal with scenic viewMargaretVIPDined on 7/26/2014Several friends and I enjoyed an outdoor lunch at Agua301 this week. We had crispy fish tacos, fresh guacamole and pumpkin pepta pancakes with ginger butter. Que Rico! They also served fabulous aguas frescas of hibiscus, watermelon, and other fruit flavors. Service was a bit slow, but I chalked this up to a full house. Very friendly staff and great location on the Southeast Waterfront. Nice authentic Mexican menu.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Service was horrible. Be advised that servings are very small and menu has few options.Special Features:
- Agua 301RjkellingDined on 7/25/2014We came here prior to a concert at National"s Stadium. The location was perfect it also has a great view of Yards Park and the river front. The food was great. The carne Acada and fish tacos are highly recommended. The downside was the bar. It was very crowded and extremely loud. The servers could not get drinks for their tables because the bartenders were overwhelmed. At our table we had to raise our voices just to have a normal conversation. I would come again but would request an outside table or somewhere far away from the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.