1527 17th Street N.W.
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.agoradc.net/
- Phone: 2023326767
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday thru Thursday 5 p.m. until 11p.m. / late night menu until 1a.m.
Friday thru Saturday 5 p.m. until midnight/late night menu until 2 a.m.
Saturday and Sunday Brunch 11 a.m. until 3 p.m.
Monday - Friday : 11am - 3pm
Monday thru Thursday: 5 p.m. to 2 a.m.
Friday -5:00 p.m. to 3 a.m.
Saturday – 11a.m. to 3 a.m.
Sunday: 11:00 a.m. to 2 a.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Turkish, Greek
- Executive Chef: Ghassan Jarrouj
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please call for more info.
- Special Events: EFFECTIVE MARCH 23RD 2013, OUR BOTTOMLESS BRUNCH WILL BE PRICED AT $32.99 PER PERSON.
A word from AGORA
Agora is a sensory pleasure oasis showcasing Mediterranean mezes with highlighted libations from Turkey & Greece.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
AGORA reviews from OpenTable diners
193 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (120)neighborhood gem (109)fit for foodies (94)good for groups (77)great for brunch (70)special occasion (40)great for lunch (30)romantic (26)hot spot (25)notable wine list (21)vibrant bar scene (17)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (12)scenic view (1)Show More
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/12/2014I love Greek/Mediterranean food and heard good reviews for this restaurant. I found many of the dishes to be incredibly oily and the portion sizes were way out of whack. I grew up in the area and I eat out at least two or three times a week for dinner. I understand that DC is an expensive city in which to dine, but this was ridiculous. A small skewer of chicken with sauce was $12. The waitress wasn't very attentive to us. We would get our drinks and then she would disappear for twenty minutes. It wasn't that busy so I'm not sure what the delay was for. Probably won't be going back unless it's for drinks.Special Features:
- Take a trip to TurkeyRandyVIPDined on 9/8/2014With Agora, you will experience the very tastes of Turkey. The beet and citrus salad, the egg plant salad, the meets and octopus and bransino were excellently prepared and delicious. In addition, we were fortunate to attend Agora during half price wine bottle night. All around, a great evening.Special Features:
- Great Brunch PlaceWhereRtheGoodEatsDined on 9/7/2014Agora serves Turkish food, but they also have some familiar breakfast entrees. The menu has great vegetarian options. My veggie friends often order the manchego omelet. I usually order the pide with sausage. The coffee is definitely a cut above the typical DC watery cup of joe. Their hummus is incredible, and it will be gone in no time. Even at brunch, you want some of this hummus, friends. I haven't done the bottomless brunch, which requires everyone at the table to commit or no one gets it, but the tables who do it seem to be happy campers.Special Features:
- 3 Strikes.......nicknameVIPDined on 9/6/2014I have tried to give them a chance because I love the food, but the service is consistently horrible. We sat and didn't get water or acknowledged for 10 minutes while 5 tables were sat around us and got water and orders taken. We had to ask for EVERYTHING, ketchup, drinks, etc. we had to wave our guy down so many times. He spilled a drink on my friends foot and didn't say anything. He spilled water on me and didn't say anything. And it wasn't like they were crazy busy. Our waiter was terrible, but every time we go there the service is awful. Food is great and comes out quickly if you can ever get your order in. If you want to enjoy your brunch or dinner, avoid this place. There are plenty of places nearby that won't ignore you.
- Remarkable!FurdoVIPDined on 9/5/2014We enjoyed dinner here twice during a past visit and recently took a friend for his first experience of Agora's excellent food. Everything from the appetizers to the main courses was fresh and outstanding, with flavorful and interesting sauces such as the tomato marmalade served with the Chef's Borek. One of the most exciting dishes was the Kalamar (Calamari) which was expertly grilled squid with garlic, olive oil, Maras pepper and oregano. Other standouts were the seared sea scallops, hellim (pan-seared Sheep's milk cheese with fresh thyme, fig jam and toasted almonds and a wonderful dessert called Kadayif, two layer shredded phyllo with vanilla - milk pudding, orange blossom honey and pistachios. We love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AgorakateYDined on 9/1/2014It was hard to select a dish because everything sounded so good. Our food was delicious and the service was friendly!Special Features:
- great food, lousy serviceKito3987VIPDined on 8/31/2014We were visiting DC and this place was recommended for brunch. All the food and drinks were good and reasonably priced. So good, in fact, that we wanted more. But our waiter was never to be found. So we just grabbed the check as quickly as we could (which wasn't very quick) and left. Seems like more of a place to be seen than actually a place to eat. Or maybe we just had a bad waiter. I'd give it a 2nd shot, but wasn't too impressed this time.Special Features:
- SlowdownDined on 8/26/2014I suggested this place for a regular lunch group for a weekday lunch. All of us had the lunch special for $14.99, which included a sampler of appetizers (hummus, etc.), entrée, dessert and drink. Four of us had the lamb kabob as an entree, which I thought was good but a tad dry. We were all pretty satisfied with the experience - the food and service were good, and the outdoor seating on 17th Street was very pleasant. When I have the urge for Mediterranean again, I will definitely think of Agora.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!FoodieDined on 8/24/2014This was my first experience at Agora and it was fantastic. My group decided to go all out for brunch and do the bottomless option. It was fun to try all the various dishes Agora offered while drinking our mimos on the outside deck. I would definitely go back to Agora.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could not have been betterLG7410Dined on 8/22/2014This was a fantastic meal - one of the best I've had in DC in 35 years. The portions were perfect for sharing between two. We had taramosolata, grilled squid, grilled bronzini, baby eggplant stuffed with lamb and pastirma (cured beef). Everything was wonderfully prepared and nicely presented. The service was friendly and responsive but unobtrusive. With a $50 bottle of wine, the total bill before tip was under $120. Not many places in DC that you can get that sort of quality for a reasonable price. We'll definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Delicious tapasFoodie5Dined on 8/20/2014Friends and I went to Agora on a weeknight and were very happy with the meal. The service was good and the food delicious. We ordered a number of small plates to split and all had plenty to eat. Would definitely go again!Special Features:
- not as advertisedtbornottbDined on 8/16/2014We had booked a lunch table for Washington Restaurant week at Agora. Neither the Washington Restaurant week website, nor Open Table, nor Agora in their email to us, mentioned that they don't do restaurant week on Saturday and Sunday. We were very surprised and unhappy. We ended up ordering from the menu. The appetizers were tasty and unusual. The brunch omelets were good, but nothing special and certainly not Mediterranean.Special Features:
- Outstanding.LovethefoodVIPDined on 8/16/2014We came for Restaurant Week, but discovered the Bottomless Brunch which was a great deal. The food was great and we could have as much as we wanted. We were full and well satisfied when we left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch!BritDined on 8/16/2014Have been several times for brunch. Food is always fresh and tasty, and the service is quick. Took a minute to get the check at the end, but that really didn't detract much from my overall experience. Everyone I've taken to Agora say they plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Weekend???EngineerDined on 8/15/2014My wife and I went to have a good dinner during the Restaurant Weekend. The food was awesome, but ... just when they had it! A lot items in menu were missing. However, what they had was very nice!Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/15/2014Decided on trying out Agora during restaurant week because of all the satisfied customers that left good comments about this restaurant. I was really pleasantly surprised to see that all that was said was true and what made my visit even more enjoyable was our waitress. She was both attentive and informative. She did an amazing job in letting us know about the items on the menu and also wanted feedback on what we though of each dish that we ordered. Will definitely recommend this place to others.Special Features:
- One of my favesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Eat here all of the time and I'm always blown away with the quality of the food and the professionalism of the team members.Special Features:
- Good Food with OK ServiceRKalaDined on 8/13/2014My friend and I went to Agora on Wednesday night for dinner. We had 7pm reservations but I got there early and asked to be seated outside to wait for my friend. They let me know that I couldn't be seated until my entire party arrived. I am totally fine with this if the restaurant is super packed/busy. I looked around the outdoor patio and noticed about 10 empty tables and thought well that's horrible customer service. So I stood there for about 10 minutes waiting until my friend arrived. We were then able to be seated and enjoyed the rest of our evening.Special Features:
- Great FoodSeanVIPDined on 8/13/2014I ate here for the first time during restaurant week and the food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would go backkkentDined on 8/12/2014We had a party of six and were seated immediately. The staff was very helpful and the food was outstanding. We tried a lot of different things and they were all good. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- good for sharingpatebDined on 8/12/2014We went for reataurant week and were also new to Agora's. The tapas were good tasting and good for sharing to try severl offerings.Special Features:
- Good food horrible servicejr304898Dined on 8/9/2014The food at Agora was fantastic. Everything my girlfriend and I ordered was perfectly cooked and delicious. The only problem with our dining experience was the service. Our waiter acted annoyed every time we ordered. To top it off at the end of the night the waiter dropped our check off on the table and walked away without saying thank you. I would recommend Agora just because the food was so good, but hopefully you don't get the same waiter as we did!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chance MeetingvodvoxVIPDined on 8/9/2014We were visiting DC for a long weekend and set up dinner at Agora. Loved the mediterranean tapas and sitting near the street to people watch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- annieDined on 8/9/2014went for bottomless brunch -- the entire restaurant was packed with diners doing the same thing but our food was always fresh and came very quickly and the drinks were seldom empty. they were very accommodating to special requests (egg whites only, etc). definitely recommended for bottomless brunchSpecial Features:
- Good tapasCatherineChicagoDined on 8/8/2014Had a good early dinner in the patio. The food was very well spiced and everything was fresh. Reasonably priced as well.Special Features:
- Always GoodWhyCookDined on 8/7/2014As always the food was delicious, the service friendly and efficient. Living a few blocks away, we have been before and will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelishPrincessVIPDined on 8/4/2014I really like this resturant. The food is always delicious and the staff is friendly. I love the lunch offerings of freshly prepared sandwiches, salads and spreads. The toasted falafel wrap along with the lightly seasoned thyme fries is among my favorites. As a carnivore, eating a veggie sandwich is a pretty big deal. It's delish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Turkish-Greek ConfusedsaltyLDined on 8/1/2014This place is delicious. Great space and decor, a bit tight inside but a beautiful outdoor seating area. My only complaint is that it's not Greek food, it's 100% Turkish. I love all Mediterranean cuisine so this wasn't really an issue, but it was just a bit confusing. When you go to a restaurant named Agora, you'd expect greek food. However what you get is a turkish small plate delight nestled in Dupont's lively 17th st. Highly Recommend.Special Features:
- Good food. Spotty serviceVAinVAVIPDined on 8/1/2014Woman who greets patrons doesn't listen, gets distracted and is a bit brusque. Server tried to be helpful but kept interrupting and put in all of our order at once, as we had specifically asked her not to do. Food was very good but they relally need to polish the service, especially the front of the house.
- Bad service. Bad food.DrewDCDined on 7/31/2014Ordered dry kofte, dry falafel and mediocre humus. The food standard has gone down since when this place used to be really good. Bar service was still great. The dining service was really bad - server John couldn't care less about us. Need to retrain the dining staff. Seriously.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceMandMDined on 7/30/2014We went for dinner with our 5 year old (who loves food) and everything was wonderful - lamb loin particularly - fresh pita all evening - great suggestions for my daughter - and wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Palate PleaserOutwoodDined on 7/26/2014Everything tasty and service was speedy. We ordered 5 mezze for the two of us, and it was just the right amount of food, if you include the bread basket, although 4 morsels of swordfish for $14 seemed a little skimpy...Special Features:
- Great for weekend brunch.BritDined on 7/26/2014I'm in DC on extended business, and I've been to Agora's Saturday brunch twice already. The menu selection, quantity, and quality are excellent, and the service is great. Must try Baba Ghanouj, Pastirma Eggs Benedict, and Brioche French Toast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good!JStanleyDined on 7/24/2014Delicious food, every plate we got was great. Service was hit or miss, but it was a chill, laid back environment. Delish.Special Features:
- Great BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/13/2014Highly recommend the bottomless brunch. The staff was very attentive and all the food/drinks were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!MeganVIPDined on 7/11/2014I was entertaining guests from out of town and this was a perfect spot to bring them to. The food was great and priced well. All the dishes were fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice!JaimieDined on 7/6/2014Great food, good prices- it's worth it to do the unlimited brunch. They keep the drinks flowing but the food service was a little off the mark in terms of sequencing. Friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodLabyrinthSolDined on 7/3/2014Great options, surely 3 tapas each is fine for sharing. We ordered too much! But was fine. Zinfindale wine was amazing with lamb chops!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapas share menuMK4FoodDined on 6/30/2014Great food and place. Hostess not that friendly or happy. But waiters / waitresses are real nice cheerful and a over average service. Nice variety and quality of dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Agora is Good and Fun!leniVIPDined on 6/30/2014Small plates of delectable food. there were 5 of us and we ordered 10 dishes. ALL were very good. Some I wished we could have had more, but 2 plates each was a good amount. The stuffed zucchini blossoms were very much a winner as was the sausage dish. Wines were inexpensive and good - we happened on a 1/2 price night which made them even better. The more people who have joining you, the more fun as you can try more dishes. EXCELLENTSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.