Ago - West Hollywood
8478 Melrose Ave
West Hollywood, CA 90069Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Ago - West Hollywood
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.agorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3236556333x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Agostino Sciandri
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Ago - West Hollywood
Ago, the elegant Italian Trattoria named after its celebrated executive chef partner Agostino Sciandri, is one of the latest additions to grace the enclave of prestigious restaurants in West Hollywood. Satiating the palate is an unusual and enticing variety of pasta dishes, seafood and steaks, Spaghetti allo Scglio, and Risotto Ai Funghi.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ago - West Hollywood reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (36)romantic (28)special occasion (26)fit for foodies (23)good for groups (21)neighborhood gem (20)hot spot (17)notable wine list (16)great for lunch (9)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (4)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Early arrivalRogersVIPDined on 10/19/2014Again, Ago came thru with our party's early arrival. We sat on the patio until we could be served with cold peach martinis. If you haven't been to Ago's many times like I have you are missing real customer service. The food remains the same-excellent!Special Features:
- Just okbigcheers99Dined on 10/14/2014Some entrees were good but others were below average. The langoustines special was terrible. There were 5 total langoustines without enough meat to make a meal. The veal chop was rubbery. I wouldn't go back.
- Not good enough for the priceLoveFoodDined on 10/10/2014I was disappointed in Ago's food - we sat outside and the ambiance was lovely, the service was good but the food was nowhere near the standard it should have been for the price. I know great Italian and unfortunately that wasn't it. The seafood risotto was decent, & the filet mignon too but one of my companions had veal Milanese that she said tasted like shoe leather! Shame as it's a nice neighborhood spot. If they picked up the food quality this would be a wonderful place to go!Special Features:
- worst steak I've ever triedmohammedDined on 10/6/2014it was the worst steak I've ever tried. Ordered medium well and it came super well done !Special Features:
- OutstandingGoodeggs123Dined on 10/2/2014The food and ambience are outstanding. Best place for pasta in a beautiful lit patio. Loved it.Special Features:
- Monday birthday dinner.TDStarDined on 9/29/2014I have dined here before and loved the ambiance. However on a Monday it was pretty empty. We were the only indoor table. Overall experience was good although my pasta was a bit salty. I also felt our waiter was somewhat pushy trying to get us to consume more food and drinks. Past visits were better than this one but I would try them again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip.. Better off at LuquesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/27/2014Hostess and servers were very accommodating and the patio was beautiful. The food started out great but went down hill after our truffle pizza and grilled octopus. The branzino and rib eye were dissapointing and we left most of them on the plate (not that our waiter or anyone asked why). Carrot cake was delicious. All that would have been fine but for our waiter who was terrible (I believe his name was Eric). We dined using a Gilt voucher and once he realized this it was clear we were not getting anything more then the bare minimum out of him. Atleast he was kind enough to draw three smiley faces on the receipt and instruct me on how I should tip. We will not be returning.
- Weekend specialBritsMomVIPDined on 9/20/2014We highly recommend this restaurant for the best food, service which combined made the best weekend ever. We always go to Ago and have Eric handle our service. There is no one better than Eric from his knowledge, personal service and great sense of humor. We had out of town guests who had never been and they love the restaurant and felt it had the feel of New York with the same high level of professional service. I give them 5 starsSpecial Features:
- Delightful, but...Luv2dineInLADined on 9/20/2014The staff was ultra accommodating (and not bad looking either). The portions are adequate, but the prices are OUTRAGOUS. No value for the dollar. Spent $160 (before tip) for 2 people. Included 1 glass of wine and one cocktail.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/10/2014I have eaten at Ago many times and this time was slightly disappointing. We ate on the patio. It was very hard to enjoy my meal due to the amount of smoke from people smoking outside. It was terrible. We ordered the Lasagna which was very mushy and tasteless. It also took 20 minutes for the waiter to bring our check because he was more interested in other tables.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coworker dinnerMcKinneyVIPDined on 9/9/2014Appetizer of cut veggies on the table was a nice touch. Basket of warm bread arrived and we had to ask for olive oil, which looked like it was only missing from our table. Our salads were fresh and entrees were delicious. Although we didn't order dessert, we were provided a complimentary little sugar cookies and that was a nice sweet touchSpecial Features:
- Good FoodjennyVIPDined on 9/5/2014With my family's Sicilian heritage, I am picky about italian food. Luckily, Ago did not disappoint. The food was well-prepared, fresh, and tasty, which I would expect in an upscale italian restaurant. But, the service was a B- at best. When the waiter was present, he was accommodating. But, his follow up and making himself available lagged, which was lame as there was an abundance of wait staff in the restaurant (who mostly spent their time chatting amongst themselves on the patio). Not sure I would recommend -- for me, I might return for the food, but the service definitely gives me pause.Special Features:
- BETTER TO EAT AT HOMEDisgruntledDinerDined on 8/28/2014This is a very expensive restaurant that offers less than mediocre food. It's odd because it's a beautiful space. The servers are pleasant and ardent. The hosts are cordial and inviting. Be prepared to spend a lot... not only for the food, but for the small pours of wine, as well.
- Very HappyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014My first time at this place. The food was the best Italian food hands down, service was attentive with vast knowledge of wine pairing. We had reservations at 7:45 but did not get seated until 8:10 - that was OKAY. I would return.Special Features:
- Too clubby and crowdedPDXtoLAXVIPDined on 8/16/2014We were a party of 2 and had a 9:30 reservation on a Saturday night. The valet was great, super quick, but then we walked inside and it was full, PACKED with people. The tables were full, music was loud, crowd was on the younger side, bar was full, there was a line for the hostess desk. I thought "good thing I made a reservation." Well reservations don't matter there. 30 minutes later and we were still standing at the bar waiting for a table. I checked in with the hostess a few times. Nice enough but just kept telling me "20 minutes" each time I asked. At 10 pm she again said "20 minutes" so I called next door to Lucques and they said they could seat us immediately. It was a way better scene and dinner was fantastic. Won't go back to Ago.
- Should be gone a long time AGO...ARoseVIPDined on 8/16/2014How has AGO lasted in LA? From the cheap cutlery, to the mundane wine list,to the lack of premium liquor, and the poorly prepared food. It's existence is a culinary miracle. Caesar salad was romaine with a mediocre dressing and a crouton or two. Just bad.Chicken parm was a round mound of flattened chicken, which looked like a flying saucer.Whitefish on a bed of spinach appeared steamed and actually was not like the "thinness" and texture expected. Poor. Chicken paillard was tasteless and covered w/ arugula,not good enough to take home the 3/4 of a portion not eaten. Patio is is attractive but the rest is downhill. It's a scene.The bar is packed, although unattractive. Perhaps the celebrity ownership is the attraction? Diners deserve better.
- Awesome RestaurantLuv2eatDined on 8/14/2014Everything was fantastic from the food to the service to the outdoor dinning. I can't say anything negative about our experience. My wife and two kids and I have been in some of the finest restaurants around the world and this was among the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ago not worth the price.ReviewerDined on 7/31/2014I chose Ago strictly based on it being a celebrity hot spot. Bad idea. Host staff was great. Server had no personality and server staff stands around in the restaurant when there is nothing for them to do. Food was just ok. Pasta was way too rich. Steak was not seasoned and slightly overcooked. A celebrity Producer did show up towards the end of our meal, So was Ago worth $200 dinner for 2. No.
- A must place to eatSpankyDined on 7/28/2014Great food, great service, great decor and an excellent place for a business lunch.Special Features:
- Disappointedlpw1VIPDined on 7/27/2014The food was good but nothing that would bring me back for a second visit. Our waiter - a actor wannabe hopefully succeeds in acting because he needs to hang up the waiter job. He would disappear on be gone forever. I felt like he was auditioning instead of taking care of us.Special Features:
- very cool place!RezloverVIPDined on 7/22/2014this place is the real thing. Italian, great food, simple but worth the price.Special Features:
- AuthenticMcMiniDined on 7/22/2014A cute Italian restaurant right at the beginning of Melrose. A very ecletic crowd, from movie moguls to some peeps who looked like they just walked off the TV screen of the Real Housewives of New Jersey! And we saw every dress code you could possibly imagine-from jeans to jumpsuits to a kimono!We split the ceasar salad and the dressing was so good but needed more croutons! Then I had the rib eye and my friend had the Dover sole. She loved hers and I could have had mine more well done but it was good. I also ordered a Raspberry Mojito and OMG it was delish! On the negative, it was extremely small for $14. Ouchy! Everything was pricey so be prepared. We loved the staff!! Great service.
- Not so greatPutnaVIPDined on 7/18/2014This place is not so great -- food not so great ditto over all experience
- Great food fab garden atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014We decided to fine here as we were staying in West Hollywood. I had heard good things about Ago so we decided to give it a go. We went on a Friday night with our 3 year old daughter. My husband and I both had the Wagu and our daughter had spaghetti and meatballs. All the food was lovely and the atmosphere was good. The only bad thing was the slow service but the restaurant was busy and good and puddings were def worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious optionsSamplerVIPDined on 7/18/2014We were a party of four and so the opportunity to try a little of everything was great. We had pizza with Anchovies, Grilled calamari, Veal meatballs, Sardines, and more. two of had the fish special that was so fresh and delicious. The olive oil on the table was the best ever. It ended up being a $100 per person with one glass of wine each. but worth it.Special Features:
- Absolutely loved this restaurant.MoixDined on 7/13/2014Not our first time there but a definite will go back to place...super impressive.Special Features:
- Sweet Home ChicagoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014I'm from Chicago & this reminded me of home. Truly authentic! Fantastic food and ambience...can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Genuine Italian with Hollywood PopNightlife2NatureVIPDined on 7/4/2014Absolutely incredible burratta, delicious wine, amazing service and authentic Italian cuisine. Definitely will go to this place again :)Special Features:
- A disapointmentIngmarieDined on 7/3/2014We had made a reservation from Sweden two months ago. We where dressed up (me in a jacket and my wife in a dress). We were the only ones. The rest looked like The Crips or Al-qaida members. My lambracks was OK, but the potatoes was like leather outside and as snot inside. My wifes chicken had been dead for at least five months. This was a typical Tourist trap.Special Features:
- going down hillOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2014We have been to this restaurant several times over the years since it is one of my daughters favorites. She loves the penne pomodoro with basil. It was quite good for a base. We sent my sons pasta back and the rest of us suffered through our mediocre entree's. If your looking for celebs it might be worth it, but the food isn't.Special Features:
- The following 508 reviews are from the Ago - West Hollywood reviews archive.
- Birthday DinnerjanerDined on 6/20/2014Our dining experience at AGO was very nice. The food, service and atmosphere were good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AgoGirlsNightOutDined on 6/10/2014Been going to Ago for years and years. Love the food and all the staffs.Special Features:
- SundaySBBrunchDined on 6/1/2014Love this restaurant. We arrived prior to opening and they gladly sat us outside and served wine while we waited. Service was wonderful at the table and the food is very authentic.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014Food was ok, it may have been tarnished by a poor waiter, who refused to give advice on the dishes that we asked for, which we feel left us making poor choices given we were unfamilar with some of the dishes, we feel the experience could have been better if we had some advice. Good ambience. Food was reasonably tasty but not sensational. Cocktails were great.
- So earlyRogersVIPDined on 5/25/2014Thanks to the staff for understanding our early arrival 40 minutes before opening. We were seated on the lovely patio with a good cocktail while the staff finished their setup. As always a great meal with a good bottle and a trip back to PV.Special Features:
- Great experienceBunnynoseVIPDined on 5/24/2014I went here with my friend because we were able to get a reservation at the time we needed and I had heard about this restaurant before. The service was very good and our waiter was extremely entertaining and extravagant. LOL! The food was impeccable and the wine our waiter suggested paired perfectly. My favorite dish was the octopus appetizer. Best octopus I have ever had, it was not chewy at all and was fried in amazing flavors. This seems like a great place to go on a date or an intimate dinner with friends. As all the tables started filling up it did get a little noisy but not enough to bother us. Solid restaurant.Special Features:
- Too expensive for food quality.KazuoDined on 5/22/2014I saw a lot of Japanese TV shows introduced this restaurant. The food is good, but they are very pricy. I think it's too expensive for food quality. It was Thurday night, but it's not so crowded. Nearby restaurants were busier than Ago at the same time. Maybe they served the same quality of food for cheaper price. I like Robert De Niro, but I would not come back to Ago with my expense again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian on MelroseEating4funVIPDined on 5/18/2014No fuss, just really good always - try the pasta special, relax and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantPipaeDined on 5/17/2014Great food, ambient, service, wine list, etc. etc. 100% recommendable to have a nice dinner in a great place. Giovanni, our waitress, was kind, and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boa comida italianaRPratesPDined on 5/13/2014O atendente tenta ser engraçado, às vezes passa do ponto. A comida é muito boa. Se não come muito, um prato dá para dois tranquilo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.