Ago - West Hollywood
8478 Melrose Ave
West Hollywood, CA 90069Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Ago - West Hollywood
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.agorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3236556333
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Agostino Sciandri
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Ago - West Hollywood
Ago, the elegant Italian Trattoria named after its celebrated executive chef partner Agostino Sciandri, is one of the latest additions to grace the enclave of prestigious restaurants in West Hollywood. Satiating the palate is an unusual and enticing variety of pasta dishes, seafood and steaks, Spaghetti allo Scglio, and Risotto Ai Funghi.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ago - West Hollywood reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (41)romantic (37)special occasion (35)neighborhood gem (22)notable wine list (22)fit for foodies (22)good for groups (21)hot spot (18)great for lunch (11)late-night find (9)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- BETTER TO EAT AT HOMEDisgruntledDinerDined on 8/28/2014This is a very expensive restaurant that offers less than mediocre food. It's odd because it's a beautiful space. The servers are pleasant and ardent. The hosts are cordial and inviting. Be prepared to spend a lot... not only for the food, but for the small pours of wine, as well.
- Very HappyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014My first time at this place. The food was the best Italian food hands down, service was attentive with vast knowledge of wine pairing. We had reservations at 7:45 but did not get seated until 8:10 - that was OKAY. I would return.Special Features:
- Too clubby and crowdedPDXtoLAXVIPDined on 8/16/2014We were a party of 2 and had a 9:30 reservation on a Saturday night. The valet was great, super quick, but then we walked inside and it was full, PACKED with people. The tables were full, music was loud, crowd was on the younger side, bar was full, there was a line for the hostess desk. I thought "good thing I made a reservation." Well reservations don't matter there. 30 minutes later and we were still standing at the bar waiting for a table. I checked in with the hostess a few times. Nice enough but just kept telling me "20 minutes" each time I asked. At 10 pm she again said "20 minutes" so I called next door to Lucques and they said they could seat us immediately. It was a way better scene and dinner was fantastic. Won't go back to Ago.
- Should be gone a long time AGO...ARoseVIPDined on 8/16/2014How has AGO lasted in LA? From the cheap cutlery, to the mundane wine list,to the lack of premium liquor, and the poorly prepared food. It's existence is a culinary miracle. Caesar salad was romaine with a mediocre dressing and a crouton or two. Just bad.Chicken parm was a round mound of flattened chicken, which looked like a flying saucer.Whitefish on a bed of spinach appeared steamed and actually was not like the "thinness" and texture expected. Poor. Chicken paillard was tasteless and covered w/ arugula,not good enough to take home the 3/4 of a portion not eaten. Patio is is attractive but the rest is downhill. It's a scene.The bar is packed, although unattractive. Perhaps the celebrity ownership is the attraction? Diners deserve better.
- Awesome RestaurantLuv2eatDined on 8/14/2014Everything was fantastic from the food to the service to the outdoor dinning. I can't say anything negative about our experience. My wife and two kids and I have been in some of the finest restaurants around the world and this was among the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ago not worth the price.ReviewerDined on 7/31/2014I chose Ago strictly based on it being a celebrity hot spot. Bad idea. Host staff was great. Server had no personality and server staff stands around in the restaurant when there is nothing for them to do. Food was just ok. Pasta was way too rich. Steak was not seasoned and slightly overcooked. A celebrity Producer did show up towards the end of our meal, So was Ago worth $200 dinner for 2. No.
- A must place to eatSpankyDined on 7/28/2014Great food, great service, great decor and an excellent place for a business lunch.Special Features:
- Disappointedlpw1Dined on 7/27/2014The food was good but nothing that would bring me back for a second visit. Our waiter - a actor wannabe hopefully succeeds in acting because he needs to hang up the waiter job. He would disappear on be gone forever. I felt like he was auditioning instead of taking care of us.Special Features:
- very cool place!RezloverVIPDined on 7/22/2014this place is the real thing. Italian, great food, simple but worth the price.Special Features:
- AuthenticMcMiniDined on 7/22/2014A cute Italian restaurant right at the beginning of Melrose. A very ecletic crowd, from movie moguls to some peeps who looked like they just walked off the TV screen of the Real Housewives of New Jersey! And we saw every dress code you could possibly imagine-from jeans to jumpsuits to a kimono!We split the ceasar salad and the dressing was so good but needed more croutons! Then I had the rib eye and my friend had the Dover sole. She loved hers and I could have had mine more well done but it was good. I also ordered a Raspberry Mojito and OMG it was delish! On the negative, it was extremely small for $14. Ouchy! Everything was pricey so be prepared. We loved the staff!! Great service.
- Not so greatPutnaDined on 7/18/2014This place is not so great -- food not so great ditto over all experience
- Great food fab garden atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014We decided to fine here as we were staying in West Hollywood. I had heard good things about Ago so we decided to give it a go. We went on a Friday night with our 3 year old daughter. My husband and I both had the Wagu and our daughter had spaghetti and meatballs. All the food was lovely and the atmosphere was good. The only bad thing was the slow service but the restaurant was busy and good and puddings were def worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious optionsSamplerVIPDined on 7/18/2014We were a party of four and so the opportunity to try a little of everything was great. We had pizza with Anchovies, Grilled calamari, Veal meatballs, Sardines, and more. two of had the fish special that was so fresh and delicious. The olive oil on the table was the best ever. It ended up being a $100 per person with one glass of wine each. but worth it.Special Features:
- Absolutely loved this restaurant.MoixDined on 7/13/2014Not our first time there but a definite will go back to place...super impressive.Special Features:
- Sweet Home ChicagoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014I'm from Chicago & this reminded me of home. Truly authentic! Fantastic food and ambience...can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Genuine Italian with Hollywood PopNightlife2NatureVIPDined on 7/4/2014Absolutely incredible burratta, delicious wine, amazing service and authentic Italian cuisine. Definitely will go to this place again :)Special Features:
- A disapointmentIngmarieDined on 7/3/2014We had made a reservation from Sweden two months ago. We where dressed up (me in a jacket and my wife in a dress). We were the only ones. The rest looked like The Crips or Al-qaida members. My lambracks was OK, but the potatoes was like leather outside and as snot inside. My wifes chicken had been dead for at least five months. This was a typical Tourist trap.Special Features:
- going down hillOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2014We have been to this restaurant several times over the years since it is one of my daughters favorites. She loves the penne pomodoro with basil. It was quite good for a base. We sent my sons pasta back and the rest of us suffered through our mediocre entree's. If your looking for celebs it might be worth it, but the food isn't.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerjanerDined on 6/20/2014Our dining experience at AGO was very nice. The food, service and atmosphere were good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AgoGirlsNightOutDined on 6/10/2014Been going to Ago for years and years. Love the food and all the staffs.Special Features:
- SundaySBBrunchDined on 6/1/2014Love this restaurant. We arrived prior to opening and they gladly sat us outside and served wine while we waited. Service was wonderful at the table and the food is very authentic.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014Food was ok, it may have been tarnished by a poor waiter, who refused to give advice on the dishes that we asked for, which we feel left us making poor choices given we were unfamilar with some of the dishes, we feel the experience could have been better if we had some advice. Good ambience. Food was reasonably tasty but not sensational. Cocktails were great.
- So earlyRogersVIPDined on 5/25/2014Thanks to the staff for understanding our early arrival 40 minutes before opening. We were seated on the lovely patio with a good cocktail while the staff finished their setup. As always a great meal with a good bottle and a trip back to PV.Special Features:
- Great experienceBunnynoseVIPDined on 5/24/2014I went here with my friend because we were able to get a reservation at the time we needed and I had heard about this restaurant before. The service was very good and our waiter was extremely entertaining and extravagant. LOL! The food was impeccable and the wine our waiter suggested paired perfectly. My favorite dish was the octopus appetizer. Best octopus I have ever had, it was not chewy at all and was fried in amazing flavors. This seems like a great place to go on a date or an intimate dinner with friends. As all the tables started filling up it did get a little noisy but not enough to bother us. Solid restaurant.Special Features:
- Too expensive for food quality.KazuoDined on 5/22/2014I saw a lot of Japanese TV shows introduced this restaurant. The food is good, but they are very pricy. I think it's too expensive for food quality. It was Thurday night, but it's not so crowded. Nearby restaurants were busier than Ago at the same time. Maybe they served the same quality of food for cheaper price. I like Robert De Niro, but I would not come back to Ago with my expense again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian on MelroseEating4funVIPDined on 5/18/2014No fuss, just really good always - try the pasta special, relax and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantPipaeDined on 5/17/2014Great food, ambient, service, wine list, etc. etc. 100% recommendable to have a nice dinner in a great place. Giovanni, our waitress, was kind, and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boa comida italianaRPratesPDined on 5/13/2014O atendente tenta ser engraçado, às vezes passa do ponto. A comida é muito boa. Se não come muito, um prato dá para dois tranquilo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best wood fired steak in LAtravel4greatfoodDined on 5/5/2014Personable and very professional wait staff from a very warm welcome at the front door to the waiters who constantly went all out to make sure my party of four was happy. I love steak and pasta! The steak grilled over wood is spectacular and the pastas perfectly cooked and seasoned. Ago is really a very special place in LA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs Refreshing....FoodTravelerVIPDined on 5/5/2014Ago has always been a favorite of ours, however our last visit was a disappointment, and given the vacant restaurant, we are not the only patrons who felt so. While the food was nothing to complain about, the entire experience was not equal to the $400 bill for lunch. Ago felt stuck in 1999 and not the least bit aware of the vibrancy that is happening in the LA Restaurant scene today. This is a great venue and a great location and I hope those in charge of making future decisions will decide to join the fun and excitment of the new LA and not rest on a reputation which is receding quickly into the past.
- The following 496 reviews are from the Ago - West Hollywood reviews archive.
- AgoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014The food was very good, the service was not. The older server, at the end of the meal was not happy when I gave him my discount coupon and reminded me several times what the correct bill should be. I finely told him that I've been a Blackboard member for a long time and I understand the rules. I must tell you that this was the first time this has ever happened. I did leave a 20% tip on the original amount, as the bus boys and the younger server, were very attentive. I'm guessing the older server is burned out and should retire.Special Features:
- UninterestingHarrisonDined on 5/2/2014This is our second time dining at Ago. The food is uninteresting and certainly no where worth the price. We where seated on the patio. When diners go outside to smoke, diners on the patio are subject to the second hand smoke and the conversation of the smokers.. While there are a large number of wait staff, the service is slow and a great deal of the time they are talking to one another and watching then commenting on the female patrons as they walk through. There are too many other finer restaurants in the area with far better menus and service.
- Perfect Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2014Took my wife here for a date night and had a wonderful experience. Sat outside on the couches and had a cocktail since we were early for our reservation. Maitre d was on the ball with all guests, and we saw a lot of older couples who arrived and received help entering from local staff that they clearly knew. Split a prosciutto pizza that was fantastic as an appetizer, then a filet and a veal risotto for dinner, paired with a delicious Justin cabernet. Staff was extremely attentive and very friendly. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lLate Night Good FoodebhmalibuDined on 4/25/2014Always a problem in LA to find a good, busy and "adult" restaurant that serves after 10. This is it. Food excellent and ambience very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and servicekathe90035VIPDined on 4/24/2014The veal chop was grilled to perfection and the vegetables were wonderful. This is my fourth time at the restaurant and look forward to the next time.Special Features:
- reviewVIPDined on 4/21/2014Had a very nice dinner here. Helpful suggestions from server and very knowledgeable. Helped pick out two excellent wines by the glass for us. Enjoyed the Oysters for appetizer, very tasty and loved the broth it was in. Soup was good, nothing special. The Cod was very good and the pappardelle was really good and flavorful. Lastly we shared a dessert, the panna cotta, it was very delicious. Enjoyable place to come and relax and have a wonderful meal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/19/2014This was our first time at AGO. The experience: the cucina, the ambience, the service were all outstanding. We plan to become "regulars."I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicios food and great serviceblueberry1020VIPDined on 4/18/2014We love this place, been here twice for dinner. It's fun on a date or with a group of friends. Our waiter was really nice and polite. We all decided to get specials and they were soooo good. Their pastas are all amazing, you can't go wrong.Special Features:
- Good spot; great serviceOpenTableFanVIPDined on 4/18/2014We went to celebrate a birthday here. Very attentive staff and manager. My pizza was excellent but my husband's seafood pasta had too much pepper on it. Dessert is very good and fantastic wine list! Relatively quiet for our 7 p.m. reservation and then got pretty loud as the night went on. Would return and give it a second chance.Special Features:
- Always love itRKSSVIPDined on 4/16/2014like going home- fabulous food...terrific service.Special Features: