5335 Wisconsin Ave NW
Washington, DC 20015Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.volt-aggio.com/
- Phone: 2028038020x
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday: 5pm-10:30pm
Friday, Saturday: 5pm-11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Johnny Miele
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from Aggio
AGGIO features a menu inspired by authentic Italian classics that utilize sustainable, domestic ingredients treated with classic and progressive techniques, a trademark of all the Voltaggio restaurants. Voltaggio sourced ingredients such as oak-smoked pecorino cheese from Wisconsin, Tennessee hams cured in the style of prosciutto di Parma, specialty flours from South Carolina for handmade pastas and more to transform his dishes into exceptional modern Italian cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Aggio reviews from OpenTable diners
149 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (102)special occasion (92)romantic (56)notable wine list (53)neighborhood gem (30)hot spot (13)good for groups (6)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- AggiosushiVIPDined on 8/23/2014For the Prices charged the Portions were on The small side ! My husband & I shared The Steak main Dish and there really wasn't a lot There for us to share. The pastas were tasty but again Considering the price they were Skimpy.
- JackieDined on 8/22/2014Started out the evening with a cocktail and appetizer at Range - which we had hoped was going to set the tone for the evening - as all was great (food, cocktail, service, etc.). Then we moved on to dinner at Aggio. Food was good, but not outstanding. Service was poor, unattentive and not fluid with their delivery. We have been to Volt (which we love and is one of our top restaurants), but unfortunately our dining experience at Aggio was uncomparable.
- Something out of the ordinarygimmethehotstuffDined on 8/22/2014The menu, preparation, and presentation at Aggio are unusual and creative. This makes a visit an experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW - about time someone did this!EatoutalotVIPDined on 8/21/2014Best restaurant experience we have had in years! Excellent value. You've got to try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/16/2014Some of the dishes were outstanding, like the beets and the pasta. Others were outright disappointing, like the cold scallop appetizer. Most we're somewhere in between (halibut on a bed of potato risotto)--interesting ideas that didn't fully come through in execution. Maybe it was an off night (Saturday night, 8:30). I gave the food 4 stars anyway because the dishes that succeeded were SO good.Special Features:
- nice dinner for twoletmebeDined on 8/16/2014Food was great, staff courteous, but a bit intrusive. Some people like to be asked often and to have their wine poured. I prefer to interact with wait staff on my terms. Next time I will let them know and I have confidence that they would respect that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeCedSaidZedDined on 8/15/2014The restaurant inside a restaurant was certainly delicious! Great food, great service! It was also a pleasure to see Chef Bryan working on prepping sausage for Range as we were leaving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and cocktailsIhaveafoodproblemDined on 8/15/2014Food was good but generally too salty. Otherwise, Great service and cocktails. Would recommend for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night at AggioDCDinnerGuestDined on 8/15/2014We dined for restaurant week, and were surprised to get a table on a Friday night at such short notice. The highlights of the meal were the periphery dishes. The nuances of the beet salad and grilled octopus dishes showcased the talents of the chef. The olive oil cake and chocolate and espresso desserts provided a delightful ending. In the middle, the prawns and polenta I ordered grew on me as I ate them, and the pork dish was good but not super memorable. The staff were attentive and professonal, with maybe a few too many hands on deck. We ended up with extra wine glasses at one point and were overcharged by one glass of wine on our bill, which the waiter corrected. Overall we had a fun and lovely dining experience in an intimate setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/14/2014The service was very bad. We had to ask at the front desk to have someone come take our drink orders, and after coming over and apologizing, they told us they would "take care of us at the end." Next thing we know, a tray of oysters was delivered to our table (nobody at the table liked oysters). Further, they put us in the side room which would have been fine if the air conditioning hadn't been on full blast, making all of us shiver through the meal because they could not raise the heat for us at all (they offered to try to find us jackets from somewhere when we asked for them to make it warmer). The food portions were tiny and not particularly good. The best parts of the meal were the wine and the free bread and dips - which is sad.Special Features:
- Blown awaymmchiquitaDined on 8/13/2014Generally, I temper my expectations for restaurant week meals, but that was a mistake when going to Aggio. This was one of the best meals I have ever had. The service was impeccable. The food was absolutely delicious. And, the whole experience just couldn't have been better. Chef Bryan Voltaggio took classic Italian-American favorites like Caesar salad and spaghetti and meatballs, and elevated them while capturing the exact flavors that we all know and love. Even the bread for the table - a focaccia with mortadella mousse and ricotta with olive oil - was off the charts amazing. I am drooling just thinking about it. We will definitely DEFINITELY return to try the six course tasting menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Experiencefoodie4dcDined on 8/13/2014My husband and I decided to try Aggio during restaurant week. It was the best restaurant experience we have had in years. The service and atmosphere were both amazing. The food looked too good to eat, and tasted even better. My husband didn't care for the pork tenderloin/cherry sauce and they gladly brought him a different entree. The beet salad was worth the trip. The octopus starter was really nicely done, very tender, lots of flavor. The meatballs/spaghetti entree was divine...yes divine. This was not just a place to get food cooked "italian style" this was real italian food cooked exceptionally well.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant Week dinnersamyVIPDined on 8/13/2014Third time a Aggio. This time for the $34 restaurant week dinner plus a bottle of wine. Great menu (octopus and meatballs are two of my favorites there) and very polished service.Special Features:
- BobSDined on 8/13/2014Although I had told the waiter about my nut allergy when ordering my selections, the information was not passed along to the kitchen staff. Both my dinner companion and I were served desserts containing nuts.Special Features:
- Good Deal for Restaurant weekMikeDined on 8/13/2014We went for Restaurant Week and found that Aggio is one of the few restaurants in DC that gives a good meal for that set price. I thought the beet salad was a home-run - very good dish. For the rest of the meal, the meat, fish and greens were very well prepared, but the non-pasta starches were disappointingly bland. For the dessert, the Sofficato where a cup of cold, bitter espresso is poured over two small, but otherwise very good scoops of ice cream, needs to be rethought - maybe an espresso sauce or drizzle would have worked much better. All in all, it was a very good meal and certainly worth the Restaurant Week price.Special Features:
- Fantastic Pastas for AllJJMDVIPDined on 8/9/2014This was my second visit to Aggio and it was just as delicious as the first. Bryan's pasta dishes are what make this place such a delight--the meatballs and lamb ragu were truly excellent. The Cheese Funnel Cake was a great start to a night of fine dining. Our server, Carolina, remembered us from before, which made the evening even nicer--she is a delight! My companions loved the Crab Minestrone. Two had the Prawns--one enjoyed the dish and one commented that it was a bit too salty. Otherwise, the experience was amazing and I will indeed be back!Special Features:
- Tasty Tasting!FoodieMeisterVIPDined on 8/9/2014The previously posted complaints about portion size from other diners are unwarranted. They don't understand the concept of a tasting menu. The portions were just right so we didn't feel stuffed or shortchanged. Every protein group was well represented and was intensely flavorful. The attention to detail was meticulous. It's nice that Aggio is closed off from the rest of Range as we found that part of the restaurant in it's previous incarnation quite noisy. We will be back with our foodie posse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A mixed bagSteveVIPDined on 8/9/2014The food was generally good but not outstanding. The service was prompt but a bit confused -- who ordered what was always an issue, it took several requests to have the lively rock music turned down to a level more appropriate to fine dining. The dining room was generic and what you would expect from a Hyatt in a mid sized city. This was an experience I don't intend to repeat.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/7/2014Not even close to Volt in food or service. Waitress arrogant as if she was doing us a favor by taking our order and it was an annoyance to ask questions. Some dishes very good but many very bland. Concept of restaurant inside of restaurant is nice but evening ruined by such poor service. Better off eating outside at Range for better service, menu and food.
- Consistently ExcellentPhilDined on 8/3/2014Each of the dishes were perfectly cooked and excellently presented. The service in this very quiet ambiance was amazing. It felt as if I catered a private dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, but expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/24/2014Very good food, but expensive when considering portion sizeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AGGIORosmomDined on 7/19/2014Our reservation was for 8:45PM. We were told there would be a wait but cocktails would be provided to assuage the wait time. No problem until the drink order did not arrive for over 10+ minutes and then we had to wait until close to 9:30 to be seated. However, once we were seated the staff and service was excellent. We were provided 2 extra tasting entrees as an apology. The food was excellent but getting through the initial kinks left the couple we were dining with a sour taste in their mouth. They said they would not be back. My husband and I will be back but we will have to plan when would be the best time to make a reservation-either very late or very very early.Special Features:
- Food great, service spottyChipper2VIPDined on 7/19/2014The person who delivered our orders repeatedly delivered them to the wrong person, and the neatly choreographed simultaneous delivery of orders has disappeared. The worst thing was the slowness of service. It took half an hour for two of our party to get their pasta order. (Our request to split the order between two diners was ignored.) It was then another half an hour till our entrees arrived, which left two of our party sitting there for at least an hour with no food. After our last course, our waitress had disappeared and did not reappear for another half hour. I was about to tackle a busboy to search for our waitress. The room was almost empty by that time. Clearly there has been a substantial slippage in service.Special Features:
- Something is seriously awry here!dcdolcevitaVIPDined on 7/19/2014It's too bad the kitchen and waitstaff can't get their act together because the food is spectacular. It's just that it took over 4 hours for a 4-course meal here, early on a Friday evening. There was never any explanation for what was going on in the kitchen, although they did take a bunch of items off our bill because of the long waits. But it wasn't JUST the kitchen that was messed up. While we sat for an hour in between each course, the waiter didn't check if we wanted more drinks, didn't clear away dirty dishes, didn't refill the water (and when he did, it was a different kind of water than we had selected). Overall a tremendously disappointing experience and we would never go back unless the management is completely overhauled.Special Features:
- The food was amazing!RestonFoodieDined on 7/18/2014The server was horrible (server #42 Caroline); she made us feel that we were a burden to her when we would ask for the wine list, the menu, more water, etc. We feel that we would had a much better time if she was not our server. The food runners were excellent; they explained the dishes as they brought them to us and also provided server-like duties as our server was never around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- notfat11VIPDined on 7/17/2014The service was quite good except when we heard "we suggest you choose 4-5 dishes apiece" we were taken aback. We are not large people and don't gorge ourselves. We ordered two entrees, an $18 (tiny) appetizer, and dessert plus a bottle of wine and felt guilty because we didn't order more as suggested; however, we were full when we left. We had plenty to eat. The fish dish was overly salted.Special Features:
- Great service, meh foodMel001Dined on 7/12/2014Frankly - I was a bit disappointed. We had the tasting menu, which in all respects other than taste was great. Service was astonishing, we weren't rushed (literally - dinner took about 3 1/2 hours so we really weren't rushed), all of the wait staff were attentive and friendly. The problem was that the food was in my opinion overpriced and everything to me tasted over-salted. My dining companion didn't think the salt was overwhelming so maybe that was my palate that particular evening, but I've never gone anywhere else and had that issue. So frankly - I think the Range side of the house was better for food, though the service and ambiance were much better at the Range side. Guess you can't have it all!Special Features:
- DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/12/2014The drinks took way too long to be served. The liquor choices were not mainstream or recognizable. The bourbon did not taste good. The two-person tables are far too large and my partner and I had to sit way too far apart and were not allowed to change seating to sit next to each other. The food is moderately good, but way too expensive. The waiter advised too many small plates and we were stuffed by the last dish. This place is over-priced and we do not plan to return.
- Tremendously overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/11/2014The food was very good, but tremendously overpriced. The cocktails were ridiculously small in terms of quantity band quite overpriced as a result. The price was driven by the fact that the waiter suggested 4 plates to include dessert (if you choose to partake). Overall a disconnect between price and value overall leaving a "bad taste in my mouth".Special Features:
- Third Time, not a charmDCFoodTravelersVIPDined on 7/5/2014I really want to like this place, but after three tries, I think the chef has some dishes that are brilliantly creative, delight to eat and beautiful, but not been able to put together a complete meal with all great dishes. Then there is that need to create a tasting menu with at least 3 ala carte choices and the mid-$30 for 3 bite protein dishes means you can't avoid a $100 meal, with a glass or two of wine. Service is very good - better than range. Kathy can always find a GREAT bottle of wine at any price point - will often even go under the price you suggest. The room is better than previous look, but nothing to look at in the room - some two tops just stare at a curtain. Ask to be in center of room or back corner.
- UnfortunateTryItAllDined on 7/5/2014The experience was terribly disappointing - lighting uncomfortable, portion size stunningly, unbelievably teeny tiny, prices too high considering, awkward room. There is a lot of terrific food in Washington and no reason to return here.
- Great food, awful musicOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/3/2014For an expensive, delicious restaurant, the music was loud rock and very unappealing. It really took away from the atmosphere of the place. The food was fantastic.Special Features:
- DissapointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/29/2014Have dined at all BV restaurants and this one misses mark. The portion size is a joke. $44 ny strip entree couldn't have been more than 1.5 oz's of meat... 2 tiny strips of steak. It was almost laughable. Crab minestrone came out almost cold and was about 3 bites. The pasta courses were the highlight, if I ever returned and I wouldn't these are the only dishes I would order. I've dined at almost every top notch restaurant in dc and this is hands down the worst value ive encountered.
- 100% Fantastic!Gwendolyn1Dined on 6/26/2014We loved Aggio...food was out of this world. Cucumber amberjack app was phenomenal...roasted artichoke ravioli in broth..so delicious. My husband had the squid ink pasta and I had the meatballs. Why meatballs? Because it's hard to improve on a favorite Italian staple...but Aggio did! We really LOVED this restaurant...and we are picky..having eaten our way thru some of the finest restaurants in Europe, CA and NYC in our time.. We know good food ..but this was amazing! Quiet dining room..perfect for a romantic dinner. Service outstanding...and while the wine list was impressive ..I was in a cocktail mood ..Fantastic Cosmo.Special Features:
- Food was good, but...BrianVIPDined on 6/21/2014the portions are small, especially given the price. Service was good, but there was a long time between courses and too much attention was paid to "coordinated" service -- all plates placed down at the same time -- than was necessary. The sommeliere suggested a terrific wine, but the servers took the glasses away before we had finished the bottle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a disappointment!!PattyOVIPDined on 6/19/2014After such excellent reviews by food critics, my two companions and I, who are all foodies, couldn't have been more disappointed with this experience. It is very expensive and each dish was about a third the size of most normal servings. Not one dish was anywhere near exceptional or special, even though they are artistically presented. The best dish I had was the lemon gelato for dessert. When I made the reservation, the only prime time hour available was 7:00, even though on that Thursday evening, only one other table was taken when we arrived. By the time we left around 9:00 only three tables were occupied in this otherwise very attractive and sophisticated dining room. Obviously there was no noise problem - that made it almost eerie!Special Features:
- PerfectionkarenVIPDined on 6/18/2014Service was prompt, and efficient. Food was excellent. We are lucky to have such a fine restaurant in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Bryan has another winnerFrancieMDined on 6/15/2014I took my husband for Father's Day dinner after reading Tom Sietema's review in the Post. We absolutely loved it. Every course was superb, the service was perfect, the decor lovely. We ordered a la carte ( the prawns for him and the spinach pasta w/crab for me) and followed our server's suggestion and added two sides; the. Broccoli rabe and the polenta. We shared them and thoroughly enjoyed them. We also shared one fabulous dessert-the ice cream and the mascarpone in the chocolate box. When we were given the homemade chocolate, we were too stuffed and took them home in the little boxes provided. The next day, they were a wonderful reminder of a delightful evening.Special Features:
- Tried to hardRarereviewerDined on 6/14/2014Wait staff seemed to have protocol of constantly checking in with us about something while not paying attention to obvious details. Food ok but not worth the price.
- gladysVIPDined on 6/14/2014food was delicious, I loved the oyster "croutons". the porchetta was tasty, salty but fattier than I would have liked.I would recommend this to a friend.