5335 Wisconsin Ave NW
Washington, DC 20015Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.volt-aggio.com/
- Phone: 2028038020x
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday: 5pm-10:30pm
Friday, Saturday: 5pm-11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Johnny Miele
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from Aggio
AGGIO features a menu inspired by authentic Italian classics that utilize sustainable, domestic ingredients treated with classic and progressive techniques, a trademark of all the Voltaggio restaurants. Voltaggio sourced ingredients such as oak-smoked pecorino cheese from Wisconsin, Tennessee hams cured in the style of prosciutto di Parma, specialty flours from South Carolina for handmade pastas and more to transform his dishes into exceptional modern Italian cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Aggio reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (85)special occasion (75)romantic (48)notable wine list (45)neighborhood gem (25)hot spot (10)good for groups (8)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Will go againDrjessieVIPDined on 9/27/2014Some great appetizers and pastas, less excited about the mains and desserts we had. Fun wine list. Service was mostly good with a couple bumps.Special Features:
- Terrible Service!!live2eatVIPDined on 9/20/2014We had an early reservation and the dining room was empty so at first we received great service for our wine and first 2 courses (tasty but small). Then once the dining room filled in the service all but disappeared. We waited an hour after we'd ordered our pasta course for it to arrive and when I asked the server about our food after about 45 minutes she simply said dismissively that the pasta was all hand made. Finally the 2 very small pasta dishes arrived and while they were very tasty the service was so deplorable that we decided to leave without ordering any more food and we will never return. My husband left the restaurant starving, luckily we were headed to a friend's party where he was able to actually get some food to eat!
- Food far exceeded serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/19/2014Food was, as expected, extraordinarily good. Service late on a Friday night was embarrassingly poor.Special Features:
- Disappointing experienceenjoyseekingplaces2dineDined on 9/14/2014First time to DC area and Aggio,reservation for 3 took taxi, driver found street address but no sign of restaurant at entrance (or on website), called restaurant from outside, automated answering told to leave message (quiet Sunday night). Had to ask restaurant next door for location of Aggio! Food and service good, nice and interestingly laid out wine list. Music volume and choice not suitable. Not worth the trip from DC and have to hunt to find location.
- Aggio Fantasticogr8eatsVIPDined on 9/7/2014Dined on a quiet Sunday evening. Sommelier was personable, knowledgeable, perceptive. Server was a real pro. Each food course was memorably tasty -- calamari, beets, halibut, bass, cheesecake, olive cake. Wanted to lick each plate afterwards. Plates are fairly light in quantity, but oh what quality!Special Features:
- DisappointingchriswdcVIPDined on 9/6/2014The restaurant is beautiful, dark, modern &elegant. First, nowhere on the website is there any indication that the model is "Small Plates". We were presented the menu, at which time it was explained that the restaurant is a small plate restaurant and they recommend 3-4 each. This was surprising as each plate averages $15-18, with the "heartier" portion, yet still small plate entrees over $25. We opted on 2 small plates instead of 3 and a larger "entree" portion for each of us. The first 2 courses were diminutive, my course, a cold scallop dish @ $18 was small and lacking in creativity and flavor. All in all, we were disappointed and will not be returning. 2 People, 2 drinks well over $100 each. I expected more.Special Features:
- Great experienceGManDined on 9/6/2014We went to Aggio for our anniversary Saturday night and had a great meal. I got the tasting menu and the wine pairing and my wife got an appetizer and main course. The food, wine and service were excellent with the wine pairings spot on. We will be back and would recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014This is Aggio: Cold, impersonal service delivers over-priced food in portions that are so small they wouldn't qualify as tapas.
- CyclopsVIPDined on 9/6/2014Though the windowless décor makes you wonder whether you are stepping into a dark closet, the food and service were sublime. The portions were correct, the presentations were ingenious and the flavors heavenly. And to top it off, a $3.00 cup of gelato, just the right serving size and a lovely price, which says: "we are thinking about our customers." Well done.Special Features:
- UnsatisfyingFoodloverVIPDined on 9/4/2014Portions were too small and food too exotic. We were not satisfied at the end of the meal. However the decor was very pleasing....Special Features:
- Loved ItOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/30/2014One of those restaurants that you save for a special occasion, and it didn't disappoint. Only great things to say about the food and its creative preparation and the attentive service.Special Features:
- davina2davina2Dined on 8/29/2014overpriced and underwhelmed......portions very very small.....prices very very out of line for the quality...never again
- Aggio for 4RalphDined on 8/29/2014The food was very fine, though, as we had read, the portions of the small plates were quite small. The service was absolutely perfect, not intrusive, yet completely accommodating. We especially appreciated the small "funnel cake" treat and the truffles after dessert. A very nice experience, if a bit pricey.Special Features:
- Good food.AileenDined on 8/28/2014The amuse bouche was delicious and I would order a full size version if it were possible. I loved the artichoke ravioli. My only complaint is that the menu had to much seafood scattered throughout all the dishes and I don't eat fish.Special Features:
- Suzanne007VIPDined on 8/28/2014The food was good, no question about it. I have been fortunate to go to a lot of spectacular places, so I don't know what it is. Every dish was good, but it was that sort of good that if you ask me about what I ate a year from now, I am not sure I could tell you. Nothing stood out from other restaurant experiences. That is not to say it wasn't a lovely evening with good food and great service. I would recommend it, Maybe it was me, but I jet did not have the dish that set the place apart from other restaurants in my mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinerVIPDined on 8/27/2014We had tasting menu. The octopus with bean - chalky and dry. The halibut was overcooked. Lamb ragu pasta was very good. Overall, flavors are bit muted and muddled.
- AggiosushiVIPDined on 8/23/2014For the Prices charged the Portions were on The small side ! My husband & I shared The Steak main Dish and there really wasn't a lot There for us to share. The pastas were tasty but again Considering the price they were Skimpy.
- JackieDined on 8/22/2014Started out the evening with a cocktail and appetizer at Range - which we had hoped was going to set the tone for the evening - as all was great (food, cocktail, service, etc.). Then we moved on to dinner at Aggio. Food was good, but not outstanding. Service was poor, unattentive and not fluid with their delivery. We have been to Volt (which we love and is one of our top restaurants), but unfortunately our dining experience at Aggio was uncomparable.
- Something out of the ordinarygimmethehotstuffDined on 8/22/2014The menu, preparation, and presentation at Aggio are unusual and creative. This makes a visit an experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW - about time someone did this!EatoutalotVIPDined on 8/21/2014Best restaurant experience we have had in years! Excellent value. You've got to try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/16/2014Some of the dishes were outstanding, like the beets and the pasta. Others were outright disappointing, like the cold scallop appetizer. Most we're somewhere in between (halibut on a bed of potato risotto)--interesting ideas that didn't fully come through in execution. Maybe it was an off night (Saturday night, 8:30). I gave the food 4 stars anyway because the dishes that succeeded were SO good.Special Features:
- nice dinner for twoletmebeDined on 8/16/2014Food was great, staff courteous, but a bit intrusive. Some people like to be asked often and to have their wine poured. I prefer to interact with wait staff on my terms. Next time I will let them know and I have confidence that they would respect that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeCedSaidZedDined on 8/15/2014The restaurant inside a restaurant was certainly delicious! Great food, great service! It was also a pleasure to see Chef Bryan working on prepping sausage for Range as we were leaving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and cocktailsIhaveafoodproblemDined on 8/15/2014Food was good but generally too salty. Otherwise, Great service and cocktails. Would recommend for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night at AggioDCDinnerGuestDined on 8/15/2014We dined for restaurant week, and were surprised to get a table on a Friday night at such short notice. The highlights of the meal were the periphery dishes. The nuances of the beet salad and grilled octopus dishes showcased the talents of the chef. The olive oil cake and chocolate and espresso desserts provided a delightful ending. In the middle, the prawns and polenta I ordered grew on me as I ate them, and the pork dish was good but not super memorable. The staff were attentive and professonal, with maybe a few too many hands on deck. We ended up with extra wine glasses at one point and were overcharged by one glass of wine on our bill, which the waiter corrected. Overall we had a fun and lovely dining experience in an intimate setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/14/2014The service was very bad. We had to ask at the front desk to have someone come take our drink orders, and after coming over and apologizing, they told us they would "take care of us at the end." Next thing we know, a tray of oysters was delivered to our table (nobody at the table liked oysters). Further, they put us in the side room which would have been fine if the air conditioning hadn't been on full blast, making all of us shiver through the meal because they could not raise the heat for us at all (they offered to try to find us jackets from somewhere when we asked for them to make it warmer). The food portions were tiny and not particularly good. The best parts of the meal were the wine and the free bread and dips - which is sad.Special Features:
- Blown awaymmchiquitaDined on 8/13/2014Generally, I temper my expectations for restaurant week meals, but that was a mistake when going to Aggio. This was one of the best meals I have ever had. The service was impeccable. The food was absolutely delicious. And, the whole experience just couldn't have been better. Chef Bryan Voltaggio took classic Italian-American favorites like Caesar salad and spaghetti and meatballs, and elevated them while capturing the exact flavors that we all know and love. Even the bread for the table - a focaccia with mortadella mousse and ricotta with olive oil - was off the charts amazing. I am drooling just thinking about it. We will definitely DEFINITELY return to try the six course tasting menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Experiencefoodie4dcDined on 8/13/2014My husband and I decided to try Aggio during restaurant week. It was the best restaurant experience we have had in years. The service and atmosphere were both amazing. The food looked too good to eat, and tasted even better. My husband didn't care for the pork tenderloin/cherry sauce and they gladly brought him a different entree. The beet salad was worth the trip. The octopus starter was really nicely done, very tender, lots of flavor. The meatballs/spaghetti entree was divine...yes divine. This was not just a place to get food cooked "italian style" this was real italian food cooked exceptionally well.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant Week dinnersamyVIPDined on 8/13/2014Third time a Aggio. This time for the $34 restaurant week dinner plus a bottle of wine. Great menu (octopus and meatballs are two of my favorites there) and very polished service.Special Features:
- BobSDined on 8/13/2014Although I had told the waiter about my nut allergy when ordering my selections, the information was not passed along to the kitchen staff. Both my dinner companion and I were served desserts containing nuts.Special Features:
- Good Deal for Restaurant weekMikeDined on 8/13/2014We went for Restaurant Week and found that Aggio is one of the few restaurants in DC that gives a good meal for that set price. I thought the beet salad was a home-run - very good dish. For the rest of the meal, the meat, fish and greens were very well prepared, but the non-pasta starches were disappointingly bland. For the dessert, the Sofficato where a cup of cold, bitter espresso is poured over two small, but otherwise very good scoops of ice cream, needs to be rethought - maybe an espresso sauce or drizzle would have worked much better. All in all, it was a very good meal and certainly worth the Restaurant Week price.Special Features:
- Fantastic Pastas for AllJJMDVIPDined on 8/9/2014This was my second visit to Aggio and it was just as delicious as the first. Bryan's pasta dishes are what make this place such a delight--the meatballs and lamb ragu were truly excellent. The Cheese Funnel Cake was a great start to a night of fine dining. Our server, Carolina, remembered us from before, which made the evening even nicer--she is a delight! My companions loved the Crab Minestrone. Two had the Prawns--one enjoyed the dish and one commented that it was a bit too salty. Otherwise, the experience was amazing and I will indeed be back!Special Features:
- Tasty Tasting!FoodieMeisterVIPDined on 8/9/2014The previously posted complaints about portion size from other diners are unwarranted. They don't understand the concept of a tasting menu. The portions were just right so we didn't feel stuffed or shortchanged. Every protein group was well represented and was intensely flavorful. The attention to detail was meticulous. It's nice that Aggio is closed off from the rest of Range as we found that part of the restaurant in it's previous incarnation quite noisy. We will be back with our foodie posse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A mixed bagSteveVIPDined on 8/9/2014The food was generally good but not outstanding. The service was prompt but a bit confused -- who ordered what was always an issue, it took several requests to have the lively rock music turned down to a level more appropriate to fine dining. The dining room was generic and what you would expect from a Hyatt in a mid sized city. This was an experience I don't intend to repeat.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/7/2014Not even close to Volt in food or service. Waitress arrogant as if she was doing us a favor by taking our order and it was an annoyance to ask questions. Some dishes very good but many very bland. Concept of restaurant inside of restaurant is nice but evening ruined by such poor service. Better off eating outside at Range for better service, menu and food.
- Consistently ExcellentPhilDined on 8/3/2014Each of the dishes were perfectly cooked and excellently presented. The service in this very quiet ambiance was amazing. It felt as if I catered a private dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, but expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/24/2014Very good food, but expensive when considering portion sizeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AGGIORosmomDined on 7/19/2014Our reservation was for 8:45PM. We were told there would be a wait but cocktails would be provided to assuage the wait time. No problem until the drink order did not arrive for over 10+ minutes and then we had to wait until close to 9:30 to be seated. However, once we were seated the staff and service was excellent. We were provided 2 extra tasting entrees as an apology. The food was excellent but getting through the initial kinks left the couple we were dining with a sour taste in their mouth. They said they would not be back. My husband and I will be back but we will have to plan when would be the best time to make a reservation-either very late or very very early.Special Features:
- Food great, service spottyChipper2VIPDined on 7/19/2014The person who delivered our orders repeatedly delivered them to the wrong person, and the neatly choreographed simultaneous delivery of orders has disappeared. The worst thing was the slowness of service. It took half an hour for two of our party to get their pasta order. (Our request to split the order between two diners was ignored.) It was then another half an hour till our entrees arrived, which left two of our party sitting there for at least an hour with no food. After our last course, our waitress had disappeared and did not reappear for another half hour. I was about to tackle a busboy to search for our waitress. The room was almost empty by that time. Clearly there has been a substantial slippage in service.Special Features:
- Something is seriously awry here!dcdolcevitaVIPDined on 7/19/2014It's too bad the kitchen and waitstaff can't get their act together because the food is spectacular. It's just that it took over 4 hours for a 4-course meal here, early on a Friday evening. There was never any explanation for what was going on in the kitchen, although they did take a bunch of items off our bill because of the long waits. But it wasn't JUST the kitchen that was messed up. While we sat for an hour in between each course, the waiter didn't check if we wanted more drinks, didn't clear away dirty dishes, didn't refill the water (and when he did, it was a different kind of water than we had selected). Overall a tremendously disappointing experience and we would never go back unless the management is completely overhauled.Special Features: