AGGIO - Baltimore
614 Water Street
Baltimore, MD 21202Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
AGGIO - Baltimore
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.volt-aggio.com/
- Phone: 4105280200x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday-Sunday 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from AGGIO - Baltimore
Bryan Voltaggio, the chef behind the acclaimed restaurants Volt and Family Meal in his hometown of Frederick, and Range in Washington, opens his first restaurant in Baltimore. The restaurant, Aggio, is Voltaggio’s second Italian fine-dining restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
AGGIO - Baltimore - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
AGGIO - Baltimore reviews from OpenTable diners
207 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (159)special occasion (150)romantic (105)notable wine list (101)hot spot (47)good for groups (39)neighborhood gem (28)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (10)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/16/2014The restaurant was mostly empty at 8 pm so there was an uncomfortable silence like being in a library where everyone whispers. The food was beautiful but some items were not hot when they should have been. The Somm was great and the service was perfect but overall an awkward dinner. I probably wouldn't rush back but still enjoy Volt.Special Features:
- Delicious, expensive, small portionDougieKDined on 9/13/2014I thought each dish was absolutely delicious and clever, but the portions are small. You will need to have several courses to feel satiated. Beautiful space, excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpottyAnn14Dined on 9/13/2014We were five guests on a Saturday night. Some courses, such as the grilled octopus, were very good, others, such as the shrimp and grits were not. The grits were watery and not the least bit spicy - and this was ostensibly "fra diavolo." The quantity of blue crab in the squid ink pasta with blue crab was so minute it barely deserved to be mentioned as an ingredient. The service was good, but the pacing was poor. Far too long a lag between courses. I could understand that if the restaurant had been packed - but it was not. Overall, I'd say I plan to return in a year to see if they have worked out their kinks. New restaurants deserve a second chance.
- Wonderful all aroundkandmVIPDined on 9/12/2014Our first dinner at Aggio and we were not disappointed. The food was sublime - every single dish we ordered impressed. Service was impeccable, a rare find here in Baltimore. Professional & attentive. Friendly but not intrusive. We were never rushed. Wine list impressive. So happy to finally have Bryan Voltaggio here in Charm City. Planning to return many times.Special Features:
- Yes! Yes! Yes!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/12/2014Finally a new restaurant that lives up to the hype. They must have been on their game on Friday night because everything was spot on. The tasting menu is an adventure worth taking - try the octupus and oxtail and you'll think you've been deprived your entire life of good food. Overall a very welcome addition to the Baltimore scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Modern ItalianBrocDined on 9/12/2014This is Chef Voltaggio's take on modern Italian cuisine and, as usual, he's right on the money. Everything we had was very good. Being Italian, I'm a bit picky but this is a legitimate personal interpretation of Italian food. Highlights were the charred octopus appetizer, the strozzapreti pasta with oxtail ragu',the tonnarelli nero (black pasta with crabmeat) and the Pork Osso Buco. Service was very professional as was the assistance provided by the sommelier. The menu and wine list provide great variety at varying price points. Overall an excellent experience and we will happily return.Special Features:
- JudypieVIPDined on 9/7/2014Aggio is a superb restaurant. From the time you enter the door, you know you are in competent hands. Everything is"top of the line" - ambiance, cuisine, service - all are outstanding. We are looking forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- FrankDined on 9/6/2014Experience was excellent. Only complaint was the the portion sizes were small.Special Features:
- Overall good, but expected moreSarahWDined on 9/6/2014Having been to Volt, I expected a bit better service and food. The meal came with the extras like at Volt, and the bread was prob the best part of the meal. The risotto was good, a bit too cheesy for my taste, rice was cooked perfectly though. Our friends seemed to enjoy their meal, though the one who got the osso bucco did spit something out, probably a bad piece of meat. The budino dessert was pretty gross. The pistachio custard tasted like a pea-squash baby food. I really think that described it well, though no one would taste it to verify (can't blame them with that description!). Service was not great. Plates left on tables between courses, no offer for more wine (lost $ for them!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for Special OccasionnewtoBmoreDined on 9/6/2014Aggio is definitely a nice, upscale restaurant with wonderful atmosphere and is certainly fit for foodies. I've never had such amazing service at a restaurant before - felt like I was treated like royalty. The food was excellent - I had the charred octopus, terrarino pasta, and halibut while my partner had caesar salad, lasagna, and pork osso bucco. We each loved every one of our courses. The bread course was amazing, as was the amuse-bouche that was brought to us. There was a fantastic wine selection, which we didn't indulge in, due to the prices of the multiple courses we were choosing to do. It's on the pricey end but definitely worth it for a special occasion, and if you're a foodie!Special Features:
- Brian Voltaggio deliversMike28aVIPDined on 9/6/2014Our dining experience at Aggio was a delight from start to finish. Crafted cocktails were delicious. Our three course meal was exquisite, gnocchi and pasta cooked and sauced perfectly, pork osso bucco melting off the bone. Portions were appropriate (read: not stupidly big) so we had room for dessert and a flight of homemade fruit cellos (limoncello, orange cello, and lime cello). Our serving team, led by Christina, was nicely attentive, helpful, and informative. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Great dining experience!rdgvll97Dined on 9/3/2014Great menu with some unusual options that were magnificently prepared. A thoroughly enjoyable dining experience. The staff was fantastic. Even the music seemed like the perfect selections being played at just the right volume so we did not have to speak loudly to be heard at the table. I look forward to the next opportunity to dine at Aggio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnimpressedHappyVIPDined on 8/31/2014Grey walls, floor, ceiling, plates, food, even the music was the same 30 minute compilation of Volaro repeated 4 times during dinner! They wait staff was eager and pleasant ( dressed in grey too!). But every plate came with the "preparation is different tonight". They could have told us thy before we ordered. It isn't bad, but not up to the standards they aspire to. Nothing was inspiringly good. Many dishes sounded great, bu simply didn't deliver when it came to taste. Hopefully this was just an off night. I loved Volt in Frederick.
- Great second visit to AggioBanashreeVIPDined on 8/31/2014The restaurant has become a little bit more polished since our last visit when it was first opened. Waiters are very helpful and attentive. Food is very innovative and tasty albeit the portions are small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at AggioWolfForemanFanVIPDined on 8/30/2014We were extremely impressed with the food, drinks, and service. Our drinks were complimentary because the staff felt the time in between courses was too long (we didn't feel that way at all but were very grateful nonetheless).Special Features:
- Not ImpressedfoodfanDined on 8/30/2014Perhaps I went in with high expectations but I was not impressed. The staff was attentive and the food was good (minus the saltiness) but not great. I found everything to be too heavy on the salt. Even my husband, who loves salt had to stop eating a few items because they just became too salty. While nothing was bad, I wouldn't jump at a chance to go back. Overall, it was underwhelming.Special Features:
- ExcellentBrooklynCheeseSnobDined on 8/30/2014Really well done--everything was delicious. Service kind and expert, if sometimes a little too attentive. Delicious food, from the bread to the main course, and wine was perfect. Finally, a Manhattan-level experience in Baltimore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceMurphDined on 8/29/2014A little pricey, but quite an enjoyable evening. I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some kinksBabaVIPDined on 8/27/2014Start with the very good: the food, the free prosecco for our anniversary, and Chris, the sommelier. The pasta was wonderful, perfectly cooked and very tasty. The breadsticks and the bread were delicious. Chris was friendly, knowledgeable and approachable. And now the not so good: there seemed to be lots of servers, but after we were seated with the drinks menu and the wine list, it took 20 minutes and the attention of the maître d to get the waiter to take the order. And then a long time for the drinks to come. We did get apologies from the waiter and the host. Once we ordered dinner, things came in a timely way with the exception of my pasta dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love2dineDined on 8/27/2014Very impressed, but I knew this owner's reputation, and he does everything right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Textures and flavorscedarVIPDined on 8/26/2014From pork belly & tenderloin to lasagna, the combinations of textures and flavors combine to make the finished dish far greater than you would expect. I have never tasted so many layers of thin, delicious. handmade pasta until I ate here. Top flight service and an incredibly deep wine list and Master Sommelier create a truly fabulous experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad Bryan Voltaggio in BmorePollyVIPDined on 8/24/2014Everything about Aggio was great - the décor, the service and most of all the food. I've been waiting since schlepping to Frederick and paying to stay in a B&B just to dine at Volt to have a local option. Thank you, Bryan. Well worth the wait. May this restaurant flourish in Charm City!!!Special Features:
- OkayFoodieVIPDined on 8/23/2014This is a relatively new restaurant. It was relatively busy with other patrons. It's a nice space and accommodates groups. The service staff wear black suites. The service was standard but not stellar. It's an Italian inspired menu but is not very inventive or inspiring. The Octopus as the appetizer was a little over done. My entry was fairly good. The ambience was good. The service was standard. The food was standard. However I don't see how it will standout in an already crowded restaurant scene especially Italian inspired.Special Features:
- Amazing food experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014loved the charred octopus. each of us did 4 courses which is was probably a bit much but the courses are small and we shared each others too. the lasagna has lots of layers and was very tasty. The rockfish was great as well as the halibut. Beet salad was a nice starter. Mostly Italian wines and the sommelier recommended several reasonably priced bottles. settled on a blend similar to a pinot noir. loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/22/2014Food was very good but needed to be hotter. Very expensive, service was good, but nothing was remarkable. Meatballs were very bland, beet salad was excellent but only had about 8 small beets on it. Waiter forgot to bring us bread, we had to ask for it. Several items on dessert menu weren't available after we ordered them. A good waiter knows what items are no longer available. Glad we went but have no need to return.Special Features:
- New Star in Baltimore!MaggiVIPDined on 8/22/2014Aggio has an impeccable staff that pays attention to every detail. Food tastes amazing with every bite. Presentation is photo- worthy. Every attempt is made to give you the perfect experience, and they do. If you haven’t tried Aggio, make it your special night in Baltimore!Special Features:
- AmbitiousColinVIPDined on 8/22/2014Range and Volt were successful, so why not Aggio in Baltimore? We were greeted warmly. Gorgeous space; the server gave me a tour of the upstairs dining room and private area as well. Very friendly staff. Wine list was organized in a weird way -- a sort of "if you like this" heading at the top of each section -- but good selections. Appetizers were perfect portions with hearty sauces and delicate garnishes. Oyster croutons on the Caesar were awesome, sauce with the meatballs was perfect, and the seemingly 1,000 layer lasagna was spicy, beefy, and herbaceous. But our octopus was overcooked. The location of Aggio isn't ideal, right next to power plant yet sort of hidden on water street. We'll see if Baltimore and Voltaggio can get along!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mix up- poorly handledJoyfulfoodieDined on 8/21/2014I received an email directly from Aggio that they had extended restaurant week dates so i clicked the link and made a resv at Aggio Baltimore. When my friend and I arrived at Aggio we were told there was a mix up and restaurant week menu only for DC even though the emailed had linked me directly to the Baltimore location. We were told other customers had same problem and "the powers that be were notified". We felt were made to feel embarrassed and manager made no gesture to compensate for the restaurants mix up. A compted dessert would have been nice. Also I felt a fair amount of pretension from staff. I travel all over the world to eat and have never been made to feel inadequate to be a customer but I did get that vibe at Aggio Balt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow Bar ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014Very slow night for the restaurant. No one at the bar yet took a long time to get a drink.Special Features:
- Everything I hoped for!live2eatDined on 8/20/2014After having dined at VOLT I know the bar was set high for my dinner at Aggio and I was not disappointed! Everything from the decor to the dessert was incredible. I look forward to another special occasion to celebrate at Aggio!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food.mattyf9Dined on 8/20/2014We dined here for my wife's birthday and I was very happy with my dinner. I ordered the 6 course tasting menu which is probably the best value, but if some of the dishes don't appeal to you then you can choose your own from the a LA carte menu since all the dishes are scaled down in size to encourage course dining. Every dish was delicious. My favorite was the pasta course with the oxtail ragu it had so much flavor. The only course that I didn't care for was the dessert. It was an olive oil cake with a blueberry sorbet. The cake was sliced so thin, it was a little dry and just didn't have a lot of flavor. The sorbet was tart so when you ate the 2 together the sorbet completely overpowered the taste of the cake. The service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular DinnerTanders24Dined on 8/19/2014Aggio is perfect for a date night or special occasion dinner. The atmosphere is very stark, plain, and minimal. However, this allows to the food to really steal the show. The food is nothing but exciting, colorful, and delicious. Everything we had was either something we have never had before or something we do not get often (or ever see often on menus that is). From the plain jane Ceasar salad... spruced up with fried oyster "crutons" to the grilled octopus, it was stunning and delicious to the last bite, which was a chocolate truffle. Cannot wait to return, but make sure you do not go extremely hungry, as it is small plates, but totally worth every bite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced fro Not Much FoodGoodFoodHonVIPDined on 8/19/2014The food is pretty to look at but the portions are quite small so there is not much on the plate to eat. A bit pricey for my wallet so won't be back any time soon. Nice venue although they could use some art work on the walls & there are too many full length mirrors by the restrooms!Special Features:
- Thoroughly enjoyed AggioPaulDined on 8/17/2014My wife and I have a great meal and great time - first visit - to Aggio in Baltimore. We will be back soon, and expect to return many times over the years. It was terrific. The service from all the people there was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oustanding cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/16/2014The Chef really hits a home run all around. The food was absolutely outstanding, in every way. Complex, layers of flavor in some dishes, and allowing natural food flavor to shine with accents in others...the attention to detail, and execution were flawless. The Sommelier is also excellent and recommended an excellent wine which we thoroughly enjoyed. The one area that did not live up to the rest, was the service. It wasn't bad, but I'd definitely expect a more polished service staff to meet the level of the cuisine, particularly in an establishment from Voltaggio.Special Features:
- It was unanimousJTD443VIPDined on 8/16/2014The food is interesting with combinations that require the servers to remind/explain to you what you've ordered: A nice but necessary touch. Portion are small but certainly adequate.The space is modern - though the lighting is too bright to feel intimate. Lots of hard edges and surfaces but the noise level is good. No piped in music and plenty of space between tables, The service was uneven with confusion about who ordered what, Too much time between courses. WAY too much time to get the bill. It took a very long time to get our second drinks from the bar. There was a nice amuse bouche: yummy and a nice surprise. It was expensive - as expected. If you had friends visiting from out of town - would you bring them here? A unanimous - unlikelySpecial Features:
- Delicously Amazing!!!!!LauraGDined on 8/16/2014I had been to Volt in Frederick, MD and that was an outstanding culinary experience. When I found out that Aggio was Chef Brian Voltaggio restaurant as well and near by I had to go and I was again blown away by the combination of ingredients and flavors with every bite. Just a quick mention that the two $$ dollar signs under price for this restaurant should in fact be three $$$ to four $$$$ depending whether you do the fixed price menu with wine pairing which is optional. The six course fixed price menu option is $95 per person without the wine pairing. Either way you order, from the regular menu or the fixed price menu, you will not leave disappointed. Superb Experience!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!HankDined on 8/15/2014Loved the lamb lasagna and octopus as well as the homemade pasta. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Enjoyable Dining ExperienceCabbage1Dined on 8/15/2014My family and I really enjoyed dining at Aggio. I did have expectations of larger food portions, but our server did state that same plates are medium sized, and that is what I received. All in all, I would come again, but next time with my expectations adjusted a bit so I don't find myself disappointed.Special Features:
- Service & food was excellent!Foodie18VIPDined on 8/14/2014The service was excellent! Our waiter took the time to explain all of our dishes as they were being served. The portions are a bit smaller than what you would be used to, however, we were all full at the end of our meal. I had the rockfish which was very tasty. Others had the shrimp, oxtail, lasagna, and risotto. Everyone in our group enjoyed the food. We would go back again.Special Features: