5335 Wisconsin Ave NW
Washington, DC 20015Neighborhood:
Chevy Chase, DC
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.volt-aggio.com/
- Phone: (202) 803-8020
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday: 5pm-10:30pm
Friday, Saturday: 5pm-11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Johnny Miele
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from Aggio
AGGIO features a menu inspired by authentic Italian classics that utilize sustainable, domestic ingredients treated with classic and progressive techniques, a trademark of all the Voltaggio restaurants. Voltaggio sourced ingredients such as oak-smoked pecorino cheese from Wisconsin, Tennessee hams cured in the style of prosciutto di Parma, specialty flours from South Carolina for handmade pastas and more to transform his dishes into exceptional modern Italian cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Aggio reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (63)special occasion (57)notable wine list (41)romantic (41)neighborhood gem (18)hot spot (8)good for groups (8)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Terrific tasting menuDCfoodieVIPDined on 11/22/2014This was our first time dining at Aggio, although I've eaten at Range a number of times. None of the entrees spoke to me as much as the tasting menu, so I decided to go for it. I had already ordered wine, so I didn't get the pairings, but I'm sure that would have made the experience even more special. I ordered the Tolani Tuscany Cabernet 2010, which was outstanding! Every course was delightful and the portions were generous for a tasting menu. I was able to spare a few bites for my dining companion, who opted for the pork tenderloin entree. I did like her dessert better - the blueberry cheesecake which included an intensely flavored blueberry sorbet. A great special occasion dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/21/2014We tried Range last week so decided to try Aggio since they are in the same space. The atmosphere was very stuck up. I asked for a simple substitution (pasta instead of grits) and was told dishes come as they are. Osso Bucco is supposed to be tender meat but this tasted like a well done steak. When we informed the waitress she acknowledged that it should be tender. But the restaurant did nothing to make it right.
- DisappointingBigDaddyDined on 11/15/2014Having enjoyed Range, I was very disappointed with Aggio. The service was friendly but extremely amateurish and painfully disjointed and slow. The food itself was variable - some dishes were excellent but others were ordinary at best - and just not the consistency you'd expect for the high price. Lastly I thought the space was pretty dark and dull, to me it felt like a closet carved out of Range.Special Features:
- High Quality At A High PriceRonPDined on 11/15/2014The service was excellent. The food was outrageously good. The food was creative and perfectly cooked. However, the air was let out of the bag when the waiter told us the the menu philosophy. Have the tasting menu at $95/head or order ala carte (3-4 small dishes at $60 - $90/head). A llittle pricey for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicous and QuietOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Sunday evening special is wonderful and good value. Quiet environment made it a truly great dinner out with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated!LaraDined on 11/8/2014This restaurant is definetly overrated! nothing is special about the food, not good not bad, but for the price you are paying, definetly not worth it at all!!! Will not come back again!
- Very inconsistentFooditudeDined on 11/1/2014For a restaurant of this caliber, the service was some of the most inattentive that I have experienced. The waiter seemed disinterested, and at times was nonexistent. A notable exception was the sommelier who was very personable, helpful and recommended terrific wines! The food was also very inconsistent. There were some excellent first courses. However, the halibut and lamb loin were both over cooked!Special Features:
- long wait for not muchChevyChaseDinerVIPDined on 11/1/2014Previous visit had been very impressive but our last outing to Aggio disappointed greatly. The service was atrocious...long wait after we ordered cocktails, about a 75 minute wait to receive our first course and hunger couldn't be satisfied by the two breadsticks which were so generously given to the four of us. I very much dislike the super-sized meal trend but Aggio goes the other way. Our first course looked like food had been left off the plate. Main courses were tasty, but not great, and, again, portion control was in full force. We all had to order dinner because we had used up quite an appetite in the three hours that it took us to consume our first two courses. Definitely not rushing back any time soon.Special Features:
- Uneven quality of foodDrPWCVIPDined on 11/1/2014Overall this lovely restaurant was a disappointment, primarily because of the food. Whereas some dishes were excellent (e.g., Caesar salad, fettuccine with lobster), others were unexceptional (e.g., artichoke appetizer) or worse (tough steak). Whereas it is pleasant not to be rushed, service was so slow that we had empty water glasses for 30 minutes or more. We hope that the food will improve, as Aggio has the potential to be special. One of our party was celebrating a birthday and the host and waiter were told this. However, no mention was made by the staff.
- Great service plus great foodDakotaVIPDined on 10/31/2014This was our first visit despite reading some mediocre reviews. The menu was imaginative, the food was beautifully prepared, and expertly guiding us through the entire wonderful dining experience was our server, Eric.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Was Good, Experience was OkayLBandDAOVIPDined on 10/25/2014We enjoyed the food - we did the tasting menu. We expected a grander service experience based on prior experiences at Volt. We felt like we were being "processed." After the last course, they brought the check without asking about coffee or after dinner drinks. We felt like we were being rushed out. Given that that there were plenty of empty tables and it wasn't too late, that didn't seem necessary and soured the experience. I think it was a result of lack of coordination among the staff, as we were also brought two course in a row (they carried the second one back while we finished the first). The bread is to die for and the wine list is excellent.Special Features:
- Best food in the neighborhoodRickDined on 10/18/2014Along w its big brother, Range, which was really jumping on a Saturday night, Aggio's food proves to be excellent. Main course of halibut was excellent but both appetizer of squid and dessert of olive oil cake were terrific. Though staff tried and was unfailingly friendly, service clearly was suffering from the place being so busy. Drinks took forever to come, and appetizer came too quickly..before the drinks. I'd certainly go back, though preferably during the week.Special Features:
- food and service is greatkarenVIPDined on 10/16/2014menu is somewhat limited, but sufficiently varied to suit most tastes -- offerings are "complicated" in that they use a wide variety and interesting combination of ingredients to arrive at highly toothsome results -- not every dish works, thus four stars, but those that do are truly excellent -- scrumptious would not be an overstatement -- presentation is outstanding, as is service -- the extensive wine list consists primarily of Italian wines (what else?), most of which are unfamiliar to me -- had a glass of bubbly which was very nice -- a warm, inviting ambiance -- not inexpensive, but if you want an excellent dinner....you gotta paySpecial Features:
- small portions,slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/11/2014Food was great. I was disappointed with the portion size of some of the overly pretentious menu items but the flavors were creative. The service was slow (took 20 mins for us to get drinks) and when the drinks came, they were very weak and had almost no liquor in them.
- A few highlights, but...NOLA2DCDined on 10/11/2014no great shakes. While the restaurant within a restaurant concept is cool, and the ambiance is stylish, walking through the mall to get there was a real distraction. It felt like the burbs, ugh. The service is friendly, and good. The amuse-buche funnel cake was probably my favorite part of the meal. Really creative and delicious. The steak was nicely done, beautiful crust on the outside, pink and juicy inside. And the fried scallops with the Caesar salad were delish. Bread was good, but would be better served warm. Everything else was ok but lacking in the taste and style that one would expect in this price range. Husband's fish was blah. Daughter's pasta was tasty but the serving size microscopic.Special Features:
- dashed expectationsrarely2complainDined on 10/11/2014Given its lineage our expectations were high. However, the ridiculously poor service -- non-existent -- dashed our expectations. What seemed to start off as a meal worthy of the reputation collapsed after the appetizer. With our appetizer complete and wine glasses empty we commenced our wait. While the tables next to us that had ordered wine by the bottle were frequently visited by staff, we were ignored. Not until my wife left her seat and sought out staff did anyone acknowledge us. Our entrées were delivered and were cold. We remained without wine and water. We finally grabbed the manager when she passed by to complain. I can only conclude that if one does not order wine by the bottle, Aggio has no desire to see you again.
- Disappointing But PromisingolderfoodieDined on 10/11/2014Appetizers good. Main dishes arrived cold for 2 out of 3 of our party Sent back and overdone. Coffee mediocre. Though local, won't go back again for at least 6 months to see if they get their act together. IF so, could be a good restaurant because quality of food and flavors were good, although deserts were not outstanding. Expect top quality for price.
- Expect the UnexpectedAmyHVIPDined on 10/10/2014Aggio is a rustic Italian adventure.. Taking you from tasty appetizers to exotic entrees that are just plain old delicious! The chef prepared an amuse bouche of a lightly fried leek with parmesan for our table which we thoroughly enjoyed. The pastas are a must, and please indulge in the bread. It is a real treat! The restaurant was accommodating our very slow pace, as we were old fiends catching up with each other. My only criticism is that our special request was not made correctly in the very first dish we were served. However, to Aggio's credit, they rectified the problem and quickly made a new dish. Don't let this culinary adventure escape you. Dine at Aggio!Special Features:
- Will go againDrjessieVIPDined on 9/27/2014Some great appetizers and pastas, less excited about the mains and desserts we had. Fun wine list. Service was mostly good with a couple bumps.Special Features:
- Worst Service, Food OkayCCDCDinerVIPDined on 9/26/2014The only reason it got two stars is because the food was reasonable (but not great and definitely not great for the price). The service was TERRIBLE, maybe the worst I have experienced in the city at this level of dining. Completely empty restaurant when we went and it was so terrible, I'm curious as to what it is like when it is busy. A manager not a waiter was taking care of us which might be the reason but the list of grievances goes on and on from taking 15 minute to give us a menu/acknowledge we were there to the wrong order to the manager questioning if we were an hour late for our reservation (we were not). What a mess. And then a huge bill after all that.
- Terrible Service!!live2eatVIPDined on 9/20/2014We had an early reservation and the dining room was empty so at first we received great service for our wine and first 2 courses (tasty but small). Then once the dining room filled in the service all but disappeared. We waited an hour after we'd ordered our pasta course for it to arrive and when I asked the server about our food after about 45 minutes she simply said dismissively that the pasta was all hand made. Finally the 2 very small pasta dishes arrived and while they were very tasty the service was so deplorable that we decided to leave without ordering any more food and we will never return. My husband left the restaurant starving, luckily we were headed to a friend's party where he was able to actually get some food to eat!
- Food far exceeded serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/19/2014Food was, as expected, extraordinarily good. Service late on a Friday night was embarrassingly poor.Special Features:
- Disappointing experienceenjoyseekingplaces2dineDined on 9/14/2014First time to DC area and Aggio,reservation for 3 took taxi, driver found street address but no sign of restaurant at entrance (or on website), called restaurant from outside, automated answering told to leave message (quiet Sunday night). Had to ask restaurant next door for location of Aggio! Food and service good, nice and interestingly laid out wine list. Music volume and choice not suitable. Not worth the trip from DC and have to hunt to find location.
- DisappointedgourmandeDined on 9/13/2014We reserved for later in the evening and got there a few minutes late. When the hostess left us at the waiting area for Aggio, we were left to wait for a good ten minutes with no one acknowledging our presence. When we were finally taken to our table our server might have been under the weather or something but she was as lively as the dark decor. Maybe the thing that bothered me most was the lack of ventilation so your clothes will end up smelling of charred meat. Not a good place for a vegetarian. Some of our plates were good but not justifying their inflated priceSpecial Features:
- Aggio Fantasticogr8eatsVIPDined on 9/7/2014Dined on a quiet Sunday evening. Sommelier was personable, knowledgeable, perceptive. Server was a real pro. Each food course was memorably tasty -- calamari, beets, halibut, bass, cheesecake, olive cake. Wanted to lick each plate afterwards. Plates are fairly light in quantity, but oh what quality!Special Features:
- DisappointingchriswdcVIPDined on 9/6/2014The restaurant is beautiful, dark, modern &elegant. First, nowhere on the website is there any indication that the model is "Small Plates". We were presented the menu, at which time it was explained that the restaurant is a small plate restaurant and they recommend 3-4 each. This was surprising as each plate averages $15-18, with the "heartier" portion, yet still small plate entrees over $25. We opted on 2 small plates instead of 3 and a larger "entree" portion for each of us. The first 2 courses were diminutive, my course, a cold scallop dish @ $18 was small and lacking in creativity and flavor. All in all, we were disappointed and will not be returning. 2 People, 2 drinks well over $100 each. I expected more.Special Features:
- Great experienceGManDined on 9/6/2014We went to Aggio for our anniversary Saturday night and had a great meal. I got the tasting menu and the wine pairing and my wife got an appetizer and main course. The food, wine and service were excellent with the wine pairings spot on. We will be back and would recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014This is Aggio: Cold, impersonal service delivers over-priced food in portions that are so small they wouldn't qualify as tapas.
- CyclopsVIPDined on 9/6/2014Though the windowless décor makes you wonder whether you are stepping into a dark closet, the food and service were sublime. The portions were correct, the presentations were ingenious and the flavors heavenly. And to top it off, a $3.00 cup of gelato, just the right serving size and a lovely price, which says: "we are thinking about our customers." Well done.Special Features:
- UnsatisfyingFoodloverVIPDined on 9/4/2014Portions were too small and food too exotic. We were not satisfied at the end of the meal. However the decor was very pleasing....Special Features:
- Loved ItOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/30/2014One of those restaurants that you save for a special occasion, and it didn't disappoint. Only great things to say about the food and its creative preparation and the attentive service.Special Features:
- davina2davina2Dined on 8/29/2014overpriced and underwhelmed......portions very very small.....prices very very out of line for the quality...never again
- Aggio for 4RalphDined on 8/29/2014The food was very fine, though, as we had read, the portions of the small plates were quite small. The service was absolutely perfect, not intrusive, yet completely accommodating. We especially appreciated the small "funnel cake" treat and the truffles after dessert. A very nice experience, if a bit pricey.Special Features:
- Good food.AileenDined on 8/28/2014The amuse bouche was delicious and I would order a full size version if it were possible. I loved the artichoke ravioli. My only complaint is that the menu had to much seafood scattered throughout all the dishes and I don't eat fish.Special Features:
- Suzanne007VIPDined on 8/28/2014The food was good, no question about it. I have been fortunate to go to a lot of spectacular places, so I don't know what it is. Every dish was good, but it was that sort of good that if you ask me about what I ate a year from now, I am not sure I could tell you. Nothing stood out from other restaurant experiences. That is not to say it wasn't a lovely evening with good food and great service. I would recommend it, Maybe it was me, but I jet did not have the dish that set the place apart from other restaurants in my mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinerVIPDined on 8/27/2014We had tasting menu. The octopus with bean - chalky and dry. The halibut was overcooked. Lamb ragu pasta was very good. Overall, flavors are bit muted and muddled.
- AggiosushiVIPDined on 8/23/2014For the Prices charged the Portions were on The small side ! My husband & I shared The Steak main Dish and there really wasn't a lot There for us to share. The pastas were tasty but again Considering the price they were Skimpy.
- JackieDined on 8/22/2014Started out the evening with a cocktail and appetizer at Range - which we had hoped was going to set the tone for the evening - as all was great (food, cocktail, service, etc.). Then we moved on to dinner at Aggio. Food was good, but not outstanding. Service was poor, unattentive and not fluid with their delivery. We have been to Volt (which we love and is one of our top restaurants), but unfortunately our dining experience at Aggio was uncomparable.
- Something out of the ordinarygimmethehotstuffDined on 8/22/2014The menu, preparation, and presentation at Aggio are unusual and creative. This makes a visit an experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW - about time someone did this!EatoutalotVIPDined on 8/21/2014Best restaurant experience we have had in years! Excellent value. You've got to try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.