Agate Alley's Laboratory
2645 Willamette St
Eugene, OR 97405Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: $30 and under
Agate Alley's Laboratory
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://agatealleylaboratory.com/
- Phone: 5416538653
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast and Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 3:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Fusion / Eclectic, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Michael Autry
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: The Lab offers on and off-site catering for all sizes of events and shindigs.
- Private Party Facilities: The Lab offers a banquet room capable of accomodating groups of up to 85 people.
- Private Party Contact: Toni Steinberger 5416538653
A word from Agate Alley's Laboratory
So why "The Laboratory?” The name is symbolic of our conceptual approach to bringing you the best of the Northwest, but with an experimental fusion from cuisines from around the world. The earth is rich with multitudes of culinary traditions and our goal is to present them to you in a manner that accents our traditional Northwest fare. The Lab's menu will change, evolve and metamorphosize on a monthly basis, as mad scientist Chef Michael Autry scours the deepest recesses of his brilliant culinary mind to bring to you, our guests, the most eclectic, tantalizing and scrumptiously original creations available in our fair city.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Agate Alley's Laboratory reviews from OpenTable diners
- Lovely, creative, tastyGracefulVIPDined on 12/8/2013The food was fantastic and the service personal and top nothSpecial Features:
- Quirky but niceORknotDined on 11/29/2013A little far from campus - but that meant no crowds. Great service, interesting menu options, science jokes really appealed to the geek in us.I would recommend this to a friend.
- New chef!!nannaDined on 11/16/2013New chef adds to the menu. Service is always good. Always great cocktails!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good experience with some caveatsEugeneDined on 11/15/2013the food was excellent: portions not too big or over sauced. liked bottles of chilled, not ice, water (ice is highly overused in american restaurants: dulls the taste buds!) lighting made it hard to read the menu (along the front glass wall) accustics (sp?) not great, a little hard to talk (but i don't have the greatest hearing to begin with) prices on the high end but felt the food worth it. overall, a very pleasureable experience. we will be returningSpecial Features:
- Great Plus for Eugene's Food Scene!EugeneEaterDined on 11/8/2013When we eat out, it's got to be better than what we can cook at home. And there is no question that Agate Alley Lab meets that benchmark! Creative menu with a great blend of flavors, well-prepared. Whimsical décor. Good service. I'm a "burger snob", so just had to check that out and it was terrific. Can't wait to dig into the rest of the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and funky spot for foodies!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/29/2013Great service, interesting drinks, outstanding food, relaxed ambiance. I went to get caught up with my best friend. The service was excellent - we always had what we needed without having our conversation interrupted. She had the boar which was melt-in-your-mouth tender. I had the lab burger - perfectly toasted onion bun, high quality meat, truely carmelized onions, smoked mozzerela cheese with a side of crispy and delightfully seasoned fries. I noticed they have a tasty looking vuger too for when I come back with my vegetarian friends. We loved the fun and relaxed decor. As for the noise level, it was easy to talk but there was enough background noise that we didn't notice the other tables (even though the place was full).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic MenuDejourDinerDined on 10/23/2013New menu was interesting and refreshing for Eugene. Staff friendly. Ambience retro and fun. Food was OK, but with better prep, could be great. Presentation on 3 out of 4 plates good. The 4th plate was not clear what is was and when it arrivedwas a complete surprise. We made it work with a really nice side salad. The waitress could have let us know that the "broth" was not a soup side and actually was a dipping sauce for the sandwich which arrived on a rather anemic looking dry hoagie roll. It was obviously awkward, but maybe wasn't noted because our waitress/waiters changed between the time we placed our order, and arrival of the food. The salmon was overdone. Good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent All AroundHimandMeDined on 10/20/2013Quality ingredients, superbly prepared. Unique dishes and decor. Friendly and knowledgeable staff. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Good food, strange decorCrashysdogmomDined on 10/5/2013While the decor is eclectic, the food was great. The drinks were unique and the wine list was fairly large. The chef came by our table and that was a nice touch. We were there to celebrate our anniversary and we hope to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Family dinnerroxy1827Dined on 9/22/2013We went here with a group of 10. The pork tacos off the happy hour menu were great. 3 of the guys ordered these. The tacos had a lot of meat. My sister ordered the mac and cheese; but it was more like mac and soup...Very watery but good flavor. We went on a Sunday and it was fish and chips night. We had two little ones so they go 2 pieces of cod with fries for 4.00. The fish and chips on the kids menu was 8.50 so it was a great deal. I got the mushroom melt. It was OK pretty dry so I dipped it in my sister's mac and cheese aka soup. It was off the happy hour menu and only came with the sandwich and no fries. Someone else in the party ordered the sliders off the happy hour menu and it was very small- don't recommend these.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All5'sNewInTownDined on 8/31/2013The food is outstanding, the servers are ultra knowledgeable and personal service is exemplary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodSknobieDined on 8/10/2013The presentation was wonderful! I had the steak special, it was tender and flavorful. Three of the group had the scallops and they were beautiful and they all loved them. My husband is an opportunist vegetarian. He had the pumpkin enchiladas and thought his was just okay. Probably would not order it again. We ate outside and had a great experience. Our waiter was outstanding. I would definitely go back. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great for large partiesJsanchezDined on 8/6/2013We had a corporate dinner for 8 and got stuck in a back room that was bereft of any ambiance. Service was slow and the food was mediocre. We tried the Fat Tuesday roast pig event and the pork was just OK. The options were limited and the sides were barely passable - eg the black beans were dry. Playing was inconsistent across dishes also. The two-and-four-top tables looked nice if you were dining with a small group, but that was not our experience. Lastly, sitting in the back room left us with an av unit that blew loudly every 7 or 8 minutes causing the team to try to speak over it.
- Becoming a favorite brunch optionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/4/2013Agate Alley's Laboratory has quickly become one of my family's favorite brunch locations. They have a great menu featuring many local ingredients. The staff is outstanding, and the food is even better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service, food so-soJangalaDined on 8/2/2013Two recent dinners at the Lab have left me disappointed; I eat at the lab frequently, as it is near home and I want it to be a great restaurant! THe tofu entree was simply odd; tastes were sour after sour and no counter point flavor. I could not finish it. Needs to be thoughtfully redone. The special, white fish with risotto and veggies, the fillet was prepared perfectly; the risotto was a bit too chewy but the flavor was great,and the veggies were not cooked, just led to an overall underwhelm. Service is always outstanding. Cocktails were yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place to eat a unique meal...OregonKatDined on 7/28/2013.....but over-the-top noise level for intimate conversation.Special Features:
- Great FoodNebraskaVIPDined on 7/23/2013Casual atmosphere, great service, great, interesting food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small but specialOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/9/2013This hidden gem is a wonderful spot for food lovers. Their Thursday special is called Fat Tuesday. They roast a whole pig on their barbecue and serve to varied tastes. These and other items on the menu are all worth trying. They have a full bar and we opted to have our meal in this area of the restaurant. We will definitely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK, Not GreatAnnnoeDined on 5/30/2013I had the mussels and the crab chowder and I thought they were both over salted, and I don't mind salt. The other person had the beet salad that she thought was excellent. I thought the wine selection by the glass was OK. We shared a dessert, which we thought was a little strange, very odd consistency. The ambiance is definitely funky, which really appeals to my friend, to me, not so muchSpecial Features:
- Very accommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2013Mother's Day is a very busy time to make a change, but they did, and with a smile. I loved that they offered vegetarian dishes, and the wine was delicious. We wanted for nothing, the service was friendly and thorough yet unimposing. I"m glad I tried it, glad I took my Mom here, and I would definitely dine here again.Special Features:
- When we checked in they didDannyDined on 5/4/2013When we checked in they did not have my reservation in their system. Server said she would send manager over to discuss but never did. Ordered a salad and salad arrived with dinner. Service was very slow
- Services extremely slow. MealOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/28/2013Services extremely slow. Meal came 90 minutes after arrival. Some food very good. Some not.
- Service great - Food blandOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/16/2013We really wanted to like this restaurant. It had been recommended to us many times over by friends. Unfortunately, the food was unimpressive and bland. The waiter, however, was very good. We are willing to give it another try just based on the service we received. Hopefully, the food will be better next time.
- great place, "fish bowl" canbe loudOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/7/2013We were in the fishbowl at the back of the restaurant. It was wonderful. Then a party of 8 were seated. They were having fun, but their conversations funneled back to us. We should have requested a different location because we were on a date night. Not a bad thing, just not for us on our date nightSpecial Features:
- We ordered the Halibut andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/2/2013We ordered the Halibut and the mac and cheese. Both were very good, pleasant flavors and nice presentations. The waiter was attentive at first, then forgot to ask us about our meals nor did he offer extra drinks. We ordered coffee and was not given a fill. Another staff overheard us and brought us some coffee, however, it was cold! Overall, I would go back again for the food and ambiance. I enjoyed the drinks selection and the bar scene looked like a fun place.Special Features:
- Great neightborhood restaurant,RickVIPDined on 3/1/2013Great neightborhood restaurant, older but comfortable decor. Here for lunch today, nice menu from appetizers to entrees, a little for every palate. Food was very good, very tasty, prepared just right, and nice portion sizes. I had two appetizers, the calamari and the steamed mussels, and my wife had the pumpkin enchiladas. All very good. Server efficient, there when needed, not hovering. This was our first time eating at Agate Alley's Laboratory, definitely will return next time in Eugene.Special Features:
- Highly Recommended!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/19/2013When we walked into Agate Alley we thought we had made a huge mistake. It is located in a strip mall, was a bit dingy, with older looking chairs and tables. Boy were our first impressions wrong! The drinks and food were amazing! The service was fantastic and once we had a chance to soak in the decor a while, it was fun and funky. The prices are very reasonable and the menu was so eclectic and original. I had pumpkin enchilads which may sound stange but they were fabulous. Also highly recomend the rose water cocktail. Everyone associated with the restaurant was very friendly and concerned about our experience, even the cooks out back when we left. They stopped to ask as how the food was, what we had and whether we enjoyed itSpecial Features:
- Very promising first visit!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/8/2013Our first visit was very satisfying. Extensive menu with many high-quality items. A very sensible wine list that appears to be a fair 2x (plus or minus) markup. Amiable and attentive service. Avocado Crab Causa. $12 Ravishing Raviolis (root vegetables and pesto). $10 Italian Mussels basking in a white wine tomato broth ... $12 Villa Antinori, Orvietto, Toscana, Italy 2010 $20 Chocolate brownie and cherry ice cream Coffee We definitely plan to return. This may become our longed-for "regular place" for dinner out.Special Features:
- Delightful new menu!! ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2013Delightful new menu!! Server (Jason)very attentive, good understanding of the menu and food preparation. Excellent food, well balanced flavors, good presentation. Great bar menu as well. Rare combination of special gourmet meals as well as good burgers and every day/night selections Very talented chef! Good time, good food, good prices.... Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Good food, very poor service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/30/2013Made reservations for party of 4 via Open Table, address was 10 blocks off, not good for out-of-towners. Seated immediately, friendly smiling host, water in old wine bottles but pour your own glass. Menus were passed and were not easy to ready due to low lighting and (truth be told - old eyes). Waited 17 minutes before I flagged down a waiter. She asked if we were ready, then she told us about the specials and that they were out of some of the menu items already. This was odd because we were the only party in the place other than 6 or so in the bar. Food was quite good with a blending of slightly unusual ingredients and a welcome variety of texture. Quantity was perfect.
- My girlfriends and I had aOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/4/2013My girlfriends and I had a great night out! The drinks were amazing and the food was great! We are definitely doing it again!Special Features:
- Good but not greatLuigiDined on 12/29/2012Nice place, took a few minutes for our server to get to us (and it was slow) but attentive once she did get to us. Varied menu to suit all appetites and we ate appetizers of humas and crab ragoon which were both delicous. I had the crab chowder, which was lukewarm and another guest had soup of the day. NY strip our friends had was excellent, my burger was good but again my cream spinach was luke warm so requested they reheat it, think they microwaved it for few minutes because I couldn't eat it for 10 minutes!. Fish tacos ok (our friend didn't like the red cabbage slaw) and my wife's salad was delicious,so overall good dinner but need to watch temp on dishes.Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/22/2012The bar tender is fun to watch, and was also our waiter that night. The food was great and our granddaughter loved the fresh berries and "mac & cheese"!Special Features:
- It was satisfactory on allOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/21/2012It was satisfactory on all counts. It has a casual and relaxed atmosphere, seemed to be an adult venue, and is moderately priced. The food was good and there were some nice seafood specials. I would choose it as a place to go mid-week to get a bite.
- Good food, drinks, and ambiance.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/14/2012Good food, drinks, and ambiance. Service could be a little more expedient and attentive. Overall a good place.Special Features: