Against The Grain Urban Tavern- Leaside
87 Laird Drive
Toronto, ON M4G 3T7Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: CAN$30 and under
Against The Grain Urban Tavern- Leaside
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://leaside.atgurbantavern.ca/
- Phone: 6477482840x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00 pm; Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 12:00 am; Friday - Saturday: 5:00 pm -2:00 am; Sunday: 5:00 pm - 12:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Angel Sevilla
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Jazz Performer Friday Nights from 9pm to Midnight.
A word from Against The Grain Urban Tavern- Leaside
Against The Grain brings urban chic to the heart of Toronto in Leaside. Located on Laird Drive at the Leaside Village shopping complex, ATG Urban Tavern offers a sophisticated, warm dining environment spread over two floors and, in the summer, both a main floor and second floor patio. Our focus is fresh contemporary American cuisine with a twist - think braised beef nachos, lemongrass-cured trout or crab and szechuan shrimp penne. We also offer fresh oysters, an extensive salad selection, steaks, sandwiches and much more. If you wish to join us at one of our three bars, we offer 18 unique local and international draughts, rotating cask ales and an extensive list of wines and cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Against The Grain Urban Tavern- Leaside - Best Restaurants in Leaside ›
Against The Grain Urban Tavern- Leaside reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (42)neighborhood gem (38)good for groups (37)kid-friendly (33)great for lunch (25)great for brunch (20)fit for foodies (14)hot spot (8)special occasion (6)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (5)notable wine list (4)romantic (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- Service SlowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014I have been to Against the Grain - Leaside multiple times and I feel like their service has gotten worst and worst. Both recent occasion, it took so long for the server to knowledge us and provide water. This time when we went, we were on the patio and had to switch tables due to the heat and not being in the shade. After moving, we went sure if we had the same server since she did not come back for some time. I had ask another male server for assistance, who was working the area right next to us, and he was really rude. I did not appreciate his attitude - just because he's not our server and would not be getting out tip - I think all staff should be polite. Our server was very nice to us. But overall, not a good atmosphere.
- mehtlawDined on 8/15/2014Not the greatest, took 45 minutes for our food to come out.. If I didn't have the company of great friends I would've been extremely upset about the long wait time for out food. Had chop and pop salad and my popcorn was stale... My friend had chicken Caesar salad and her chicken was dry.. Another one had steak and asked for med rare.. Got well done.. So it wasn't very great.Special Features:
- Lunch on the patioluv2dineDined on 7/31/2014We were a group of 10 co-workers out for a celebratory lunch. We were seated on the patio and the opinion all round was favourable. The food was good and came out all at the same time. Service was perfect, attentative without being overbearing. Highly recommend this restaurant if you are in the neighbourhood.Special Features:
- Awesome Vibe!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Excellent atmosphere and ambience, great for relaxation as well. The service was warm and friendly and the staff was extremely knowledgeable about their vast selection of wine and craft beers. One man band Friday night for your entertainment as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BugsdiningoutleasideDined on 7/24/2014The fruit flies were everywhere it was disgusting, they were in our drinks, they were buzzing around through the whole meal making it uncomfortable finally called the manager he deducted two beers and gave us 1 dessert and coffee.the coffee tasted like water. Won't go back!Special Features:
- Disgusting summerlicious foodCameronDined on 7/20/2014Please spend your money and time somewhere else. The burger taste like dog food. Oue server totally ignored us.
- First TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2014Everything was good except the main course took too long to come to the table and there were too many flysSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/17/2014Great location and ambience. Outdoor patio very inviting and well set up. Look forward to coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LisakoDined on 7/13/2014I like the atmosphere but the food is overpriced. I ordered a14 salad and added a tiny portion of chicken for 5 dollars and I was not remotely full. The salad was only beets and abut of watercress. My fiancé got a steak frites which was also small. Our waitress was also not the friendliest. Would suggest this place for drinks not really for food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patio Dinner & DrinksGregDined on 7/12/2014We had a great meal and drinks up on the roof top patio. The service was great and the food hot and fresh.Special Features:
- A nice hidden gemTravel2EatVIPDined on 7/12/2014Loved the light jazz on the patio Saturday during brunch.. Was totally worth it.Special Features:
- Easy on the sauceLookingForGoodEatsDined on 7/8/2014We ordered 4 meals (3 different mains) from the summerlicious menu. Two of the 3 were relying heavily on the sauce and it failed to meet expectations. I tried the vegan main which I would have thought would require extra care to deliver something that was tasty. That definitely was not the case. I got a piece of flat bread, with a very thin sauce and cheese that would have had a mouse looking for more. The kicker was it cost the same as the other meals. I would not recommend going to this restaurant for the food.
- Modern, upscale, casual tavernluv2tryrestaurantsDined on 7/6/2014Located in a recently built outdoor shopping complex. Nice atmosphere. Great beer selection and recommendations from staff. The beer flight sampler for $11 for 4 sample size glasses of on tap brews is a great deal. Went for summerlicious but had the nachos with pulled pork from the regular menu to share with friends which was delicious. Tried the summerlicious menu. The vegan taco appetizer was good, the meatloaf burger was hefty and also good. My mom had the fish and chips and found the rainbow trout quite fishy despite being deep fried. Had the gluten free brownie which tasted like it was dairy free as well. The cheesecake looked and tasted like store bought. Overall, great place with many options for those with special diets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014First time in this neighbourhood and this restaurant added to a great first impression! Wonderful food- a little heavy on the spices but definitely a place worth coming back to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great upper deckdontusuallyreviewDined on 7/4/2014My daughter and I wanted to check out Summerlicious but ended up ordering from the menu. A Friday night in July, it wasn't too crowded, certainly not what I remember when it first opened but maybe because of the time of year. Waitress was great, super friendly. We hadn't been for a while, sat up on the upper deck and it was a nice sunny night. Mussels pretty good, beet salad awesome, $16 kale salad had a large piece of plastic wrap at the bottom. Yuk. The waitress and manager jumped right on it, both apologized and took the charge off the bill. Overall I love the ambiance of the restaurant. Food is pretty expensive and good but not great, especially for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pick the patiogrrlguideVIPDined on 6/21/2014...which is reasonably quiet and extremely well appointed. I would have been much less happy in the main room, which although casually attractive, had a distinct smell throughout...almost like a sink full of dirty dishes. Very off putting. Perhaps a one time problem. The food, for a chain, was surprisingly good and elegantly presented. Very good beer choices. Would return, although I will stick to the patio for now.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014was a great day outside on the patio (and koodos for making the patio non-smoking!!) but we couldnt be seated outside as many of the tables were not cleared off and the hostess did not appear interested in having someone clean up a table so we could be seated outside. otherwise great place for brunch.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperiencejyyylDined on 6/19/2014Our dinner group was out in the patio. Great food and lovely ambiance by nightfall. Would definitely recommend to others.Special Features:
- Father's Day lunch was sloooowMacFoodieVIPDined on 6/15/2014This is a great restaurant and we have frequented the booths many times in the past, although always for dinner. This time we decided to have lunch on Father's Day...what a mistake. While our reservation was on time and the server was excellent, it took well over 45 minutes to receive our meal. It turns out that the kitchen is not built to accommodate the size of the restaurant. Poor oversight on their part.I would recommend this to a friend.
- VarietyGettingthereDined on 6/14/2014It was our first time eating at Against the Grain Leaside. We had a group with a variety of eating habits, and liked that you could order southern fried chicken or a unique vegetarian dish - lots of options for everyone. (Sometimes the only vegetarian option a restaurant offers is salad). Will go again.Special Features:
- LeasiderLeasiderDined on 6/13/2014This was our fifth visit but every time we come, the weather hasn't been patio-conducive (chilly this time) so we have yet to dine outside. It was busy with families when we arrived (noisy kids) but they soon left. The menu had changed since our last visit & there seemed to be less selection so that was a little disappointing as there were not many items that appealed to me. I very much enjoyed the flavourful paella that was on special & my husband liked the steak frites. We had a friend from the UK with us & she enjoyed her meal too but I can't remember what she ordered. Our server was excellent-can't recall her name but she was from Ireland. Next time - the patio (I hope).Special Features:
- Great TimesDelishDined on 6/6/2014This place was awesome. The food was great, the service was awesome. Our waitress was super friendly and knew what to recommend and even hooked us up with a free slice of cheesecake when a drink order took to long! I will definately be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014I have been to the Corus Quay resto and the food quality was much better. The flatbreads and salads were quite tasty. The entrees were disappointing, under/over-seasoned, overcooked fish. Broccoli slaw tasted like a supermarket deli. The key lime pie sadly didnt resurrect the meal, either. Disappointing overall.Special Features:
- Potential Not Yet RealizedAttkneeDined on 5/31/2014The venue is well designed with plenty of space inside and out. The outside views may be of Laird Drive or other stores in the plaza but that is just fine in a hot sunny day. I went for brunch and the menu has sufficient choice to satisfy most everyone. I ordered the brisket and egg and it had virtually no taste. Others who had different dishes had the same complaint. The service was fair at best. The promised butter and jam only came after several requests and after the toast was cold and dry. More coffee was requested and only was provided when a request was made of a server pouring some for a neighbouring table. It was not busy. There was no excuse. If they get their act together with good and service it will be a great place.Special Features:
- Great first experience!FoodieDined on 5/24/2014We were a table of 4 with reservations and were seated immediately upon arrival. Service was awesome; our waiter was really attentive and made accommodations to our meal changes/requests. Décor was nice and unique. We had the Thai mussels to begin with and they were great. Our table also ordered some burgers and the filet mignon. One of the turkey burgers was a bit dry but overall, the food was fantastic. Prices are also reasonable. Would definitely recommend and will definitely be returning to Against the Grain in the near future.Special Features:
- rufus13Dined on 5/24/2014This is the sixth time I have eaten at Against the Grain and have never been disappointed. My husband and I have been after theatre and my daughters and I have been there for both lunch and dinner. We will continue to go there because of the food, convenience and ambianceSpecial Features:
- Leaside GemnorthtorontofoodieDined on 5/23/2014Love this restaurant! Great food and drink, friendly, knowledgable wait staff. Great ambience for either couples or families. Welcome addition to the Leaside neighbourhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating Out in East YorkEOEYDined on 5/21/2014ATG has different food choices from the regular which is refreshing. Great beer selection. The service was excellent. When we entered it felt a little cold so we changed tables to get away from the air conditioning - may have been just the changing seasonal temperatures. As the evening progressed the restaurant, as it filled, got louder and louder. Almost too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missing Ingredients No CompensationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014This is my third time to this location. Normally everything has been great. Two people in our party ordered the Chop and Pop Salad we had it on another occasion and it is a very good salad. The couscous was left off both salads. It was mentioned at the end of our meal, we didn’t notice until we read the menu after we ate. No compensation was made, the manager actually made a joke at how he’ll have to go and yell at someone. Otherwise the food is good just before you eat anything make sure you get everything you ask for. It is not a cheap restaurant but the food is made with very fresh ingredients.Special Features:
- Great FindSophieDined on 5/15/2014Friendly service, a variety of tasty food, lively atmosphere and comfortable seating all contribute to an enjoyable dining experience. On a very rainy evening, the vibrant energy of the place was particularly great ! We were all new to this restaurant and really liked the food. The menu provides Variety, something for everyone. Great bread pudding!Special Features:
- Favourite Neighborhood RestaurantLuvtoeatDined on 5/10/2014Against the Grain is one of my favourite local restaurants. The food is good and reliable. The service is always friendly. It's my go-to place for dinner when I do not feel like cooking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's DayerbdinerDined on 5/10/2014Our family group of 10 had dinner on Saturday April 10th (pre-Mother's Day). The food was fabulous and everyone enjoyed it and felt it was a great choice for dinner - casual but excellent food at reasonable prices. We love the various ways in which wood is used throughout the restaurant and will steal some ideas for our cottage up north.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible foodDisappointedPatronDined on 5/10/2014I would expect better value for what we got. The food seemed to come out of the microwave. The bacon was all fat, it was hard but not crispy. The kids pancakes were like hockey pucks; even the waitress was appalled by them. I personally will never go back there again. Tr
- Hoped for betterRCinEastYorkDined on 5/9/2014We had been meaning to try the Leaside location of Against the Grain and finally went there for dinner on Friday. An attractive and pleasant space and good service, but the food was disappointing. Both dishes -- the fish tacos and the turkey burger -- were very bland, in spite of promises (and very small amounts) of a mango chutney on the tacos and a relish on the burger. No additional condiments were available. I suspect it's been a while since anyone in the kitchen tried these dishes. Fortunately, the beer selection was great -- beer from a tiny local brewery was on cask and other local brews were on draught.
- Just so-soBeamercatVIPDined on 5/6/2014Very average. Looks like a nice patio when weather gets better.
- The following 141 reviews are from the Against The Grain Urban Tavern- Leaside reviews archive.
- FooddinerDined on 4/20/2014The food was terrible. Did not expect that at all from a place like Against the Grain, at that price. I ordered a beet and goat cheese salad. The beets were in great big chunks, no seasoning. I couldn't even tell what the dressing was. Something of a cross between hummus and mustard. I can only think that perhaps the regular chef was away and the dishwasher had to quickly throw something together. Other items ordered by my group were steaks and a brunch platter. Both had absolutely no presentation or garnishing. Very unappealing to the eye. However the waiter was great.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2014Friendly greeting, lively atmosphere, could have been a bit quicker with finding out if more tea/coffee was required and took a long time to get the waiters attention in order to get the bill.Special Features:
- EasterOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/20/2014We very much enjoyed Easter, especially our grand kids. The chocolate egg hunt was fun for the kids & the staff made the experience even better. The food was good We will be backSpecial Features:
- Consistent quality and service!ngkevin4VIPDined on 4/19/2014Every time I've been to ATG, the food's been consistently great! This time I ordered one of the specials, pork riblets, and the Southern Fried Chicken. I should've ordered something different for the app or main since both of them felt identical in texture and feel. It made it a boring dinner. That's still ok since by itself, the dishes were fine. It's priced well and a much better option compared to something like Origin North.
- Good for a quick lunch and burgerslunchwithkidsDined on 4/19/2014Went for lunch with the kids as the place is well suited for this, with spaced out booths and lots of open space between tables to fit high chairs and strollers. The kids menu had chicken fingers and pasta with butter, so was good. The menu for us was a bit restricted (unless you chose the burgers or sandwiches), as their salad selection was really poor and they only had the French Onion soup that wasn't very good (and extremely salty). Overall good if you want to have a good burger, but I don't think we'll go back as we've been there a few times and the selection hasn't changed. The service was also not that great as they took our orders and then forgot us for the rest of the meal once we were served....which was after a long time as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.