Against The Grain Urban Tavern - Leaside
87 Laird Drive
Toronto, ON M4G 3T7Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: CAN$30 and under
Against The Grain Urban Tavern - Leaside
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://leaside.atgurbantavern.ca/
- Phone: (647) 748-2840
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00 pm; Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 12:00 am; Friday - Saturday: 5:00 pm -2:00 am; Sunday: 5:00 pm - 12:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Angel Sevilla
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Jazz Performer Friday Nights from 9pm to Midnight.
A word from Against The Grain Urban Tavern - Leaside
Against The Grain brings urban chic to the heart of Toronto in Leaside. Located on Laird Drive at the Leaside Village shopping complex, ATG Urban Tavern offers a sophisticated, warm dining environment spread over two floors and, in the summer, both a main floor and second floor patio. Our focus is fresh contemporary American cuisine with a twist - think braised beef nachos, lemongrass-cured trout or crab and szechuan shrimp penne. We also offer fresh oysters, an extensive salad selection, steaks, sandwiches and much more. If you wish to join us at one of our three bars, we offer 18 unique local and international draughts, rotating cask ales and an extensive list of wines and cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Against The Grain Urban Tavern - Leaside - Best Restaurants in Leaside ›
Against The Grain Urban Tavern - Leaside reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (23)neighborhood gem (20)great for outdoor dining (14)kid-friendly (14)great for lunch (11)great for brunch (8)fit for foodies (5)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (4)special occasion (3)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (1)romantic (1)Show More
- New MenuMacFoodieVIPDined on 11/21/2014As always, the service and ambiance at ATG is great however the meal we had on most recent visit was sub-standard. They have changed the menu, added a few new items and dropped off a couple favorites. This visit we both had the fancy hamburger, the one with the duck egg (minus the duck egg) that turned out to be very dry and over cooked. The onion bun was stale and the french fries were way too salty...almost like a salt-lick. This is still a great neighbourhood restaurant but one has to keep an eye on what they order and make specific requests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $4 mimosas!TheatregoerDined on 11/8/2014The mimosas were excellent, the food was good but the options limited. I don't have kids but I noticed there were a lot of families there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great venue, poor food.RibbsVIPDined on 11/1/2014Great venue but the menu is poor. Food is no better than a Jack Astor's or Lone Star. I've been there several times always hoping to taste something good, to entice me back again but so far nothing. Would like to see them raise their quality on the food side. I'm not picky but right now I have no interest in coming back. I will say that as compared to their first couple months after opening, service is better, it had been terrible in my experiences.Special Features:
- Ok, nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/29/2014Nothing special about the food, drinks, ambience, etc. Food was bland. I had higher expectations perhaps. Won't return. Our server was excellent though.
- Limited menuLeasideLadyVIPDined on 10/13/2014We love going to this restaurant because of the ambiance and the fact that it is in the neighbourhood. I think that the name of the restaurant "Against The Grain" is excellent as the menu is "against the grain". It's a hodgepodge of dishes and I never feel like there is a great selection. For my 11-year old, the two things he will have is a burger or the fish & chips. There really isn't much more for him to choose from. I know we would come here for often if the selection was better.
- Nice place. Grumpy waiter.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014I live in the area. Thus was my first visit. Food good. Great ambiance. Downside was waiter not very friendly. Felt rushed, in fact he brought our bill before he had offered dessert, which we all wanted and seemed frustrated when someone took too long to order. He was just very business like, short answers to our questions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A tasty birthday brunchLeasiderDined on 10/11/2014Our daughter organized a Saturday birthday brunch for my husband that also included 4 out of town friends. Everyone was pleased with the food. I had Fred's French raisin toast which was scrumptious and beautifully presented (you need a healthy appetite for this one!). It was served with bananas and just the right amount of syrup which permeated the chunky bread slices. The only sour note was that one of our guests' orders was forgotten and her burger arrived after most of us had finished so she ended up eating some of her partner's food while she waited. The server was apologetic but no compensation was offered to my knowledge. I also enjoyed the goulash soup for dinner earlier the same week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beerOtownDined on 10/10/2014Good spot for craft beer, and the staff is very knowledgable about what's on tap.Special Features:
- Thank you Paul!ngkevin4VIPDined on 10/6/2014I haven't been back to ATG in the last few months. Their menu has changed significantly. Thanks to Paul, I was able to enjoy one of their off-the-menu items - "Shmack N' Cheese." This was a mac n cheese with a homemade pretzel. Wow. I never thought these two would go so well together. I also had the wild mushroom flatbread. Paul recommended to add some of their beer-braised beef and boy was it a good addition. It turned a vegetarian flatbread into something even more amazing! The only negative (minor) was that our water wasn't refilled once. That's ok! Next time :)Special Features:
- Excellent ServicejpddDined on 9/25/2014Our meal was delicious and our service prompt. It is a noisy location and not conducive to quiet conversation. We had a fantastic server who was patient, charming, knowledgeable and courteous. She greatly enhanced our experience with her professionalism.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good atmosphere, food was averageOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014Sent the fish tacos back, the tortillas was very wet and couldn't pick them up to eat. The floor manager attended to my needs. I asked to grill the tortillas a bit more and voila - perfection.Special Features:
- Service SlowLaurasoBubblieDined on 8/24/2014I have been to Against the Grain - Leaside multiple times and I feel like their service has gotten worst and worst. Both recent occasion, it took so long for the server to knowledge us and provide water. This time when we went, we were on the patio and had to switch tables due to the heat and not being in the shade. After moving, we went sure if we had the same server since she did not come back for some time. I had ask another male server for assistance, who was working the area right next to us, and he was really rude. I did not appreciate his attitude - just because he's not our server and would not be getting out tip - I think all staff should be polite. Our server was very nice to us. But overall, not a good atmosphere.
- mehtlawDined on 8/15/2014Not the greatest, took 45 minutes for our food to come out.. If I didn't have the company of great friends I would've been extremely upset about the long wait time for out food. Had chop and pop salad and my popcorn was stale... My friend had chicken Caesar salad and her chicken was dry.. Another one had steak and asked for med rare.. Got well done.. So it wasn't very great.Special Features:
- Lunch on the patioluv2dineDined on 7/31/2014We were a group of 10 co-workers out for a celebratory lunch. We were seated on the patio and the opinion all round was favourable. The food was good and came out all at the same time. Service was perfect, attentative without being overbearing. Highly recommend this restaurant if you are in the neighbourhood.Special Features:
- The following 174 reviews are from the Against The Grain Urban Tavern - Leaside reviews archive.
- Awesome Vibe!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Excellent atmosphere and ambience, great for relaxation as well. The service was warm and friendly and the staff was extremely knowledgeable about their vast selection of wine and craft beers. One man band Friday night for your entertainment as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BugsdiningoutleasideDined on 7/24/2014The fruit flies were everywhere it was disgusting, they were in our drinks, they were buzzing around through the whole meal making it uncomfortable finally called the manager he deducted two beers and gave us 1 dessert and coffee.the coffee tasted like water. Won't go back!Special Features:
- Disgusting summerlicious foodCameronDined on 7/20/2014Please spend your money and time somewhere else. The burger taste like dog food. Oue server totally ignored us.
- First TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2014Everything was good except the main course took too long to come to the table and there were too many flysSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/17/2014Great location and ambience. Outdoor patio very inviting and well set up. Look forward to coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LisakoVIPDined on 7/13/2014I like the atmosphere but the food is overpriced. I ordered a14 salad and added a tiny portion of chicken for 5 dollars and I was not remotely full. The salad was only beets and abut of watercress. My fiancé got a steak frites which was also small. Our waitress was also not the friendliest. Would suggest this place for drinks not really for food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patio Dinner & DrinksGregDined on 7/12/2014We had a great meal and drinks up on the roof top patio. The service was great and the food hot and fresh.Special Features:
- A nice hidden gemTravel2EatVIPDined on 7/12/2014Loved the light jazz on the patio Saturday during brunch.. Was totally worth it.Special Features:
- Easy on the sauceLookingForGoodEatsDined on 7/8/2014We ordered 4 meals (3 different mains) from the summerlicious menu. Two of the 3 were relying heavily on the sauce and it failed to meet expectations. I tried the vegan main which I would have thought would require extra care to deliver something that was tasty. That definitely was not the case. I got a piece of flat bread, with a very thin sauce and cheese that would have had a mouse looking for more. The kicker was it cost the same as the other meals. I would not recommend going to this restaurant for the food.
- Modern, upscale, casual tavernluv2tryrestaurantsDined on 7/6/2014Located in a recently built outdoor shopping complex. Nice atmosphere. Great beer selection and recommendations from staff. The beer flight sampler for $11 for 4 sample size glasses of on tap brews is a great deal. Went for summerlicious but had the nachos with pulled pork from the regular menu to share with friends which was delicious. Tried the summerlicious menu. The vegan taco appetizer was good, the meatloaf burger was hefty and also good. My mom had the fish and chips and found the rainbow trout quite fishy despite being deep fried. Had the gluten free brownie which tasted like it was dairy free as well. The cheesecake looked and tasted like store bought. Overall, great place with many options for those with special diets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014First time in this neighbourhood and this restaurant added to a great first impression! Wonderful food- a little heavy on the spices but definitely a place worth coming back to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great upper deckdontusuallyreviewDined on 7/4/2014My daughter and I wanted to check out Summerlicious but ended up ordering from the menu. A Friday night in July, it wasn't too crowded, certainly not what I remember when it first opened but maybe because of the time of year. Waitress was great, super friendly. We hadn't been for a while, sat up on the upper deck and it was a nice sunny night. Mussels pretty good, beet salad awesome, $16 kale salad had a large piece of plastic wrap at the bottom. Yuk. The waitress and manager jumped right on it, both apologized and took the charge off the bill. Overall I love the ambiance of the restaurant. Food is pretty expensive and good but not great, especially for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pick the patiogrrlguideVIPDined on 6/21/2014...which is reasonably quiet and extremely well appointed. I would have been much less happy in the main room, which although casually attractive, had a distinct smell throughout...almost like a sink full of dirty dishes. Very off putting. Perhaps a one time problem. The food, for a chain, was surprisingly good and elegantly presented. Very good beer choices. Would return, although I will stick to the patio for now.Special Features:
- ExcellentdarrylDined on 6/21/2014Great food and atmosphere. Our server was great also. Not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014was a great day outside on the patio (and koodos for making the patio non-smoking!!) but we couldnt be seated outside as many of the tables were not cleared off and the hostess did not appear interested in having someone clean up a table so we could be seated outside. otherwise great place for brunch.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperiencejyyylDined on 6/19/2014Our dinner group was out in the patio. Great food and lovely ambiance by nightfall. Would definitely recommend to others.Special Features:
- Father's Day lunch was sloooowMacFoodieVIPDined on 6/15/2014This is a great restaurant and we have frequented the booths many times in the past, although always for dinner. This time we decided to have lunch on Father's Day...what a mistake. While our reservation was on time and the server was excellent, it took well over 45 minutes to receive our meal. It turns out that the kitchen is not built to accommodate the size of the restaurant. Poor oversight on their part.I would recommend this to a friend.
- VarietyGettingthereDined on 6/14/2014It was our first time eating at Against the Grain Leaside. We had a group with a variety of eating habits, and liked that you could order southern fried chicken or a unique vegetarian dish - lots of options for everyone. (Sometimes the only vegetarian option a restaurant offers is salad). Will go again.Special Features:
- LeasiderLeasiderDined on 6/13/2014This was our fifth visit but every time we come, the weather hasn't been patio-conducive (chilly this time) so we have yet to dine outside. It was busy with families when we arrived (noisy kids) but they soon left. The menu had changed since our last visit & there seemed to be less selection so that was a little disappointing as there were not many items that appealed to me. I very much enjoyed the flavourful paella that was on special & my husband liked the steak frites. We had a friend from the UK with us & she enjoyed her meal too but I can't remember what she ordered. Our server was excellent-can't recall her name but she was from Ireland. Next time - the patio (I hope).Special Features:
- Great TimesDelishDined on 6/6/2014This place was awesome. The food was great, the service was awesome. Our waitress was super friendly and knew what to recommend and even hooked us up with a free slice of cheesecake when a drink order took to long! I will definately be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014I have been to the Corus Quay resto and the food quality was much better. The flatbreads and salads were quite tasty. The entrees were disappointing, under/over-seasoned, overcooked fish. Broccoli slaw tasted like a supermarket deli. The key lime pie sadly didnt resurrect the meal, either. Disappointing overall.Special Features:
- Potential Not Yet RealizedAttkneeDined on 5/31/2014The venue is well designed with plenty of space inside and out. The outside views may be of Laird Drive or other stores in the plaza but that is just fine in a hot sunny day. I went for brunch and the menu has sufficient choice to satisfy most everyone. I ordered the brisket and egg and it had virtually no taste. Others who had different dishes had the same complaint. The service was fair at best. The promised butter and jam only came after several requests and after the toast was cold and dry. More coffee was requested and only was provided when a request was made of a server pouring some for a neighbouring table. It was not busy. There was no excuse. If they get their act together with good and service it will be a great place.Special Features:
- Great first experience!FoodieDined on 5/24/2014We were a table of 4 with reservations and were seated immediately upon arrival. Service was awesome; our waiter was really attentive and made accommodations to our meal changes/requests. Décor was nice and unique. We had the Thai mussels to begin with and they were great. Our table also ordered some burgers and the filet mignon. One of the turkey burgers was a bit dry but overall, the food was fantastic. Prices are also reasonable. Would definitely recommend and will definitely be returning to Against the Grain in the near future.Special Features:
- rufus13Dined on 5/24/2014This is the sixth time I have eaten at Against the Grain and have never been disappointed. My husband and I have been after theatre and my daughters and I have been there for both lunch and dinner. We will continue to go there because of the food, convenience and ambianceSpecial Features:
- Leaside GemnorthtorontofoodieDined on 5/23/2014Love this restaurant! Great food and drink, friendly, knowledgable wait staff. Great ambience for either couples or families. Welcome addition to the Leaside neighbourhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating Out in East YorkEOEYDined on 5/21/2014ATG has different food choices from the regular which is refreshing. Great beer selection. The service was excellent. When we entered it felt a little cold so we changed tables to get away from the air conditioning - may have been just the changing seasonal temperatures. As the evening progressed the restaurant, as it filled, got louder and louder. Almost too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.