Against the Grain Urban Tavern-Corus Quay
25 Dockside Drive
Toronto, ON M5A 0B5Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: CAN$30 and under
Against the Grain Urban Tavern-Corus Quay
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://corusquay.atgurbantavern.ca/
- Phone: (647) 344-1562
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 11am - 9pm
Tuesday: 11am - 9 pm
Wednesday: 11am - 9pm
Thursday: 11am - 9pm
Friday: 11am - 11pm Kitchen closes at 10pm
Saturday: 1030am - 11pm Kitchen closes at 10pm
Sunday: 1030am - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Gastro Pub, International
- Executive Chef: Josh Wortly
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering in the Corus Entertainment Building is available with space for groups of 6-1200. Whether you are looking to cater a breakfast, lunch, dinner or a BBQ on the rooftop, Against the Grain Urban Tavern can help you with your catering needs for your next meeting or event
- Private Party Facilities: Against the Grain Urban Tavern is a unique place to gather with friends, family and business associates. We feature internationally inspired foods, locally supplied ingredients, unique beers and tempting cocktails - all served in a sophisticated presentation and service. Whether you are hosting a private dinner or cocktail reception we specialize in groups of 15-300 guests. Take advantage of our private event space, meeting rooms and prime patio seating allowing you to relax and enjoy the spectacular view of Lake Ontario and the Toronto Island.
- Private Party Contact: Aleasha Gilpin 4165338368x
- Cross Street: Queens Quay & Jarvis
- Public Transit: Take the #75 bus south from Sherbourne subway station. Get off at Richardson Street and walk 59 meters to Corus Quay at 25 Dockside Drive.
Take the #6 bus south from Bay St towards Queens Quay and Jarvis Via Ferry Docks. Get off at Corus Quay or George Brown College.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: You may park in the lot directly underneath the Corus building, and pay at the machine. Public pay and display parking can be found in parking lot, located North of the Corus building.
There is also street parking available on lower Jarvis and surrounding side streets.
A word from Against the Grain Urban Tavern-Corus Quay
Against the Grain is the latest concept bringing urban chic to Toronto's Harbourfront. Located in the Corus Entertainment Building right next to Sugar Beach, this Urban Tavern is perfectly situated within walking distance to downtown, allowing you to relax and enjoy the spectacular view of Lake Ontario and the Toronto Island. Against the Grain is a casual Urban Tavern where people gather to enjoy Maple Chipotle Wings with a local brew, Pulled Pork braised in dark beer and molasses, Stone Baked Pizzas or traditional cocktails with a twist. All served in a sophisticated presentation and service. Unique local and European brews are tapped regularly along with interesting new and old world wines. Of course we can't forget the cocktails including our own signature "Against the Grain" made with Canadian whiskey.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerInternational
Against the Grain Urban Tavern-Corus Quay - Best Restaurants in Harbourfront ›
Against the Grain Urban Tavern-Corus Quay reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (50)scenic view (40)good for groups (23)great for lunch (18)neighborhood gem (15)great for brunch (12)fit for foodies (8)hot spot (6)romantic (5)special occasion (4)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great time on an outdoor patioOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/14/2013Great time on an outdoor patio looking out on the Toronto waterfront.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would have loved to be invichyssoiseDined on 8/13/2013I would have loved to be in the patio, but it was too cold (in August). But nevertheless, we had a good view. Next time, when it is warmer, definitely the patio. The server was friendly and fun. Food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambience, but food is lackingSteveDined on 8/13/2013The ambience is excellent, and our server was very helpful and attentive. They have good beer and wings specials. We had fish and chips which was a bit greasy, wings which were tasty, but the soup was awful. There is much better food in Toronto. But for the money it was ok. Recommend for patio, good service and stick to non fried food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slippingfreedog16Dined on 8/8/2013Something has happened to the food. There must be a change in chef as four of the five dishes we were served were extremely bland. Flavourless pasta and fish dishes. Service ambiance and location remain excellent, maybe it was just an off night as this has never happened before. Usually the food is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had to wait over an hour for lunchOriginal8Dined on 8/8/2013I met a friend here for lunch on a beautiful summer afternoon- good thing the weather was so nice because it took over one hour for us to get our food! tables that arrived after us got their food before we did. the waiter kept telling us that the food would be rught up...he was lying! If it wasn't for the great location I would probably not go back. Worst part was that the manager didn't come and apologise or offer to comp our meal. They had an opportunity to turn a negative experience into a positive one. Instead I walked away being being very disappointed with how they handled this situation.Special Features:
- A Great patio by the lakeBigdadDined on 8/7/2013I took 5 friends to the patio after work for 3 pm drinks and we stayed until 9:30 pm The food is great as is the service and atmosphere. There is a huge patio and it is not noisy at all. A great place for a group to gather in Toronto Don't park in the pay parking out front $15 as the restaurant will validate your parking if you park in the underground lot !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- need a creative salad chefOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/1/2013The chicken quaesadillas were fine but my Kale salad was kale and nothing else for $14.00! I hope it was just an oversight because I thought I read that there was more to it than that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The outdoor patio is fabulous;SteelfaceDined on 7/31/2013The outdoor patio is fabulous; nicely located by the lake with plenty of ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first time going here waseatdrinkandbemerryDined on 7/26/2013My first time going here was on Friday, and it definitely isn't my last. Great staff, great food, beautiful view outside on the patio, and live music was a plus. Our server was great, very attentive and had great suggestions on the menu. I had the Spicy Lobster Tacos and the Pork Riblets - both tasted great, and served as great appetizers. Also had a taste of the Artichoke Flatbread; although it wouldn't be my first choice - because I love meat - I would recommend it to veggie lovers. Great experience overall. If you're looking for an outdoor patio with a scenic view, Against the Grain - Corus Quay is the place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphereJulesDined on 7/25/2013We started our dinner with Sangria that was on special for $19 a pitcher. It was a delicious start to the evening. We followed up with burgers. There was lots of food and the burger was one of the best burgers I have had in a long time. The menu had lots to choose from and the atmosphere was great. I wish it had been warmer so we could have taken advantage of the outside patio. The only complaint we had was service. The staff were nice and our food did come quickly. However our table we had reserved was not ready when we arrived so we were given a table in the noisy bar section. Then we were moved after we had been there for 15 min. We also had to wave someone down to get service after we ate. The food was worth trying it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a viewmitchcanDined on 7/25/2013This is truly a gem in what is lacking in a waterfront dining experience for a city set on a lake. The view is spectacular and if you can score a table on the patio you will be rewarded. Lovely service, setting and the food was good. Would have been nice to get a bit more fish in my dish for the pricing ($25+ for one piece) but what was served was great. Would definitely return to this summer hot spot, especially when treating those from out of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent timeHappydinerDined on 7/22/2013Had a great dinner with friends. Sat outside beautiful view. Food was excellent fast friendly service. Attentive. Heater as it cooled down was appreciated. One issue is parking. Not clear that you must park under the Corus building for reimbursement (not the building that has a huge public parking sign!) ie: turn right to park not left to the George Brown College building. Otherwise a truly amazing gem! We need more waterfront restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing location!diningaroundVIPDined on 7/22/2013What a great location ....on the lake, great seating, lovely fireplaces. Now...if they can only work on the food and the wine list! The food is upscale pub cooked by students. The flavours are not subtle. The wine list is amateur and, in many cases, dosen't even show the Vintage. Who would pay $122 for a bottle with no vintage? Some work to be done.....but can't beat the location and decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very refreshingclop007Dined on 7/16/2013I came across Against the Grain through Summerlicious menu. Unfortunately it was very confusing that only one location was participating and not the Corus Quay. Nevertheless it was quite a pleasant experience. Waitress was very friendly, pleasant and quick to bring us some water and then our drinks. We ordered Spicy Lobster Tacos and Lemongrass and Brown Sugar Smoked Rainbow Trout (from Share Worthy section of the menu), and Kale and Citrus Salad. I would not call eitehr of the dishes, except for salad, share worthy, they are quite small. Salad was very refreshing, although it did not have enough dressing, tacos werent spicy at all and trout was dry and seemed like canned fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & service need to be improvedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/15/2013I live in the neighbourhood and I haven't been rushing to this restaurant due to mediocre reviews from friends. But I had an occasion to try it because friends wanted a lakeside restaurant on the east side of Queens Quay. The view and patio were great. But it ends there. Servers were nice and courteous, but not particularly competent. In one instance, a friend asked for extra sauce for his wings but never received it. But the food was the biggest drawback: It was simply not very good. One friend's smoked ribs were dry and overcooked, chips for another friend's fish & chips and fries of a burger were both a bit soggy, the batter for the fish was thick and greasy. Nothing to recommend to anyone who likes good food.Special Features:
- Can't wait to move nearby!AngelaMDined on 7/10/2013I've been to ATG about 6 times - always good. The water side patio is large and welcoming. I can't wait for my new condo to be built - just around the corner. Hopefully Against the Grain will still be in full swing in 3 years!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impress your out-of-town visitorsMaryannDined on 7/5/2013The lake view patio makes dining a relaxing and enjoyable experience. Even in inclement weather, you can sit outside protected under the building overhang. My friend were most impressed with the excellent steaks and selection of craft brews. Being offered a sample beer as we entered the patio was a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodNickypromotionDined on 6/27/2013Food was good. Drink recommendation from the host was not good. Sangria is like pink grape fruit juice with booze. Didn't like it at first but changed my mine after the second pitcher. Asked for chicken as an add on to my entre and it was sent to someone else. Desert was the best desert ever and the cappuccino was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lake Viewlove2eatVIPDined on 6/24/2013Great lakeside eats at this restaurant. Who knew it was there, south of the Corus building? Poor signage from the street, but otherwise this place did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Patio and ServiceGeoffDined on 6/12/2013If you're looking for a patio with a view the Against the Grain has it. Located just outside of the Toronto City Centre, ATG offers a very large, very comfortable outdoor dining space complete with comfy couches and fire tables. This up and coming hot spot provides a not-to-noises atmosphere overlooking the lake with a view of the sailboats passing buy. Staff is friendly and helpful which adds to the diverse selection of meal options. You won't be disappointed. We weren't, and we're not easy to please ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For TorontoCatNDined on 6/10/2013I brought some visitors to the restaurant. The weather was disappointing - rain and wind - but what can you do. The noise of the restaurant overall was to loud. It was difficult to carry on a conversation, and more so since we were trying to 'catch up'. The food was good. My 2 teenagers didn't like their food though. The more bistro-style food would've been better in a bistro I think. The (4) adults enjoyed the food. What I had ordered - chicken of all things, which is not very exotic - was not available. At 6:30 pm I was told that the kitchen was 'out' of chicken. The service was very good, the waiter was very good, and made some decent suggestions when asked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- To be desired!pqtpqtDined on 5/20/2013The food was good...the service was atrocious...5 different servers...didn't meet our waitress until we checked out and then only by happenstance. I would go back as the food was worth a return trip and to ensure that we just didn't get lost in a table shuffle during a changeover between shifts.Special Features:
- Great food, poor serviceNinjasurfergirlDined on 5/9/2013We came in on a Thursday night and sat for 20 minutes without being acknowledged. When a server finally addressed us, we asked to be moved to a less crowded area, and then waited another 30 minutes for our new server. When she finally came, she didn't even apologize or address the fact we had been waiting for almost an hour. The food came out in a timely manner after that, but if we needed anything, we could not rely on our server. The food was fantastic but be prepared to wait to be acknowledged by anyone.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverallAndies27Dined on 5/5/2013Great food & drink selection, but service need improvement.Special Features:
- WaiterChelseaDined on 5/4/2013The waiter was not attentive. He was always too busy for us. He never stayed long enough to listen to what we said. It was one of our friends Birthday and I asked him to put a candle on her dessert. He not only forgot but he didn't even Bring the food himself. It ruined our experience to have such a non attentive waiter. Would not return purely because of Him. As well, you need to make parking for the restaurant more clear. The low tables made it hard to eat. It was a better table to drink at.Special Features:
- Unsatisfied expectationsburgernribsDined on 5/1/2013Mid week dinner we were made to wait for long time for staff to bring menu and take drink orders. Once taken a further 10 min to get our drinks with 3/4 tables empty. Food was okay night and review would have been more favorable if service was better.Special Features:
- Delicious food by the water!gardenerDined on 4/28/2013Against the Grain has become our favourite neighbourhood restaurant. We had a lovely table on the patio. Beautiful view of the Inner Harbour and Toronto Island. Service was excellent - friendly, attentive, and timely. The mussels were superb! So fresh and plump. The curry sauce was complex and delicious. Someone there knows what they're doing in selecting their product. I love the Lola Rosa Leaf salad. Perfect combination of flavours. Everything delicious!Special Features:
- Great food and location.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/25/2013Great food and location. Will definitely return once the summer is here, if I can get a table!Special Features:
- Nautical DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/22/2013A tucked away Gem of a restaurant. Easy parking but EXPENSIVE. Sometime they will rebate your parking, but you have to askSpecial Features:
- Great food, staff work asOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/21/2013Great food, staff work as a team and an awesome view. Hidden gemSpecial Features:
- We had a great time at AgainstOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/15/2013We had a great time at Against The Grain... good beer and good food, and our service was great! I mentioned that it was my husbands birthday, and they gave us a nice seat by the window and a nice dessert. Very thoughtful. Will definately return!Special Features:
- Nice and relaxing - staffRRtorVIPDined on 4/14/2013Nice and relaxing - staff is friendly and accommodating - always have nice specials on th goSpecial Features:
- tops on the waterfrontOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2013Against the Grain has a fantastic, unobstruceted waterfront view and patio on the new Bayfront section of the Toronto Waterfront. Lovely! The staff are super obliging and the food is surprisingly good. Interesting textures and flavours and not too heavy on the salt. It is definitely one of our top neighborhood favourites and a place we like to take out of town visitors to show off our new waterfront. We love it!Special Features:
- I've been a few times andfoodieDined on 4/10/2013I've been a few times and have enjoyed my visits. This time the service was a bit slow for my liking, particularly given that we were there on a business lunch so needed to get back to the office. When our waitress came to take our drink order we said we were ready to order our food as well but she said she'd come back after the drinks were ordered to take the food order. It turned out that it took her about 20 minutes to come back to take our order and other large groups who came in after us ended up getting their orders taken and food served before us.
- Everything was terrific!SB123Dined on 4/5/2013Everything was terrific! Food very tasty, our table had a great view and the service was perfect. We lingered for some time after we finished our lunch and had no one trying to hurry us out. Couldn't ask for more.Special Features:
- Good food, good service, greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/1/2013Good food, good service, great decor, excellent location and views. It is wonderful to be able to sit right by the water overlooking the Toronto harbour and the Toronto Islands. The restaurant kindly provided helium balloons and a complimentary dessert for my sister's birthday, which helped to make this a special event! We'll be back.Special Features:
- This is definitely the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/31/2013This is definitely the best waterfront dining view in the city. You have to be very deliberate in going there as it's not in a location you'd just stumble upon, but it has good food, great ambiance, fantastic service. We went on a weekend, which I imagine is their slowest time to go. As it's in the Corus building, I would imagine it has a more vibrant feel during the week. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to go there again.Special Features:
- First visit, but not the last!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/19/2013I was having lunch with a client and took a chance coming to Against the Grain, as I had never been before. I am so glad I did. The young woman at the door greeted us with a smile, took our coats and showed us to a nice table by the window with a view of Toronto Island. The young lady who served us was a real treat - polite, friendly, attentive and thorough. The food was very good and reasonably priced. I will certainly come back and I will recommend Against the Grain to my friends and colleagues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Corus Quay in wintermjwfoodguyVIPDined on 3/13/2013Best in summer when the Patio is buzzing, Corus Quay in winter is still pleasant The food is improving and the beer selection is excellentSpecial Features:
- We love the warm, casual atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/10/2013We love the warm, casual atmosphere. It's quiet enough to carry on a conversation. The service was friendly and very attentive. My mixed green salad was delicious, fresh combination of flavours. The sweet peas soup was as well- not overly salted. The sweet potato fries were perfect - hot and crispy. We've added it to one of our favourite neighbourhood spots.Special Features: