Afton House Inn
3291 South St. Croix Trail
Afton, MN 55001Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Afton House Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.aftonhouseinn.com/
- Phone: (651) 436-8883
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Ryan Kaliher
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full buffet set-up offered, or sit-down catering. Catering menus are designed to meet guests' specific needs.
- Private Party Facilities: Pennington Room - up to 60 guests, Wheel Room - up to 130 guests, Catfish Deck - up to 30 guests, Catfish Lower-Deck - up to 68 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Dan Jarvis 8887274192
- Entertainment: Entertainment for New Years Eve and Valentine's Day only in the Wheel Room.
- Special Events: Friday, April 25th at 6:30 PM
5 Course Dinner with a Champagne Reception
Please call for reservations: 651-436-8883
Ask us about our Hotel Room Specials!
A word from Afton House Inn
Enjoy a night of casual fine dining in the romantic Pennington Dining Room or Wheel Room of the historic Afton House Inn. Afton House Inn is one of the only restaurants around that still features tableside cooking. Enjoy steak Diane, Caesar salad or a flaming desert prepared at your table. Afton House Inn dinner menu has a tasty selection of steaks, seafood, pork, chicken, pasta and vegetarian entrees along with excellent appetizers and cocktails. Stay the Night in one of our beautiful Jacuzzi and Fireplace room suites.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Afton House Inn - Best Restaurants in Afton ›
Afton House Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (11)romantic (10)neighborhood gem (5)scenic view (3)notable wine list (3)fit for foodies (3)good for groups (2)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- hgnatsDined on 11/1/2014It was the perfect local place to celebrate with my wife our 34 years together. The Prime Rib had very little fat probably due to the beef being grass fed only. The vegetable quantity a bit skimpy though. Service was super. We will go again soon rather than waiting another 15 yearsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special occasionpleasedaspunchDined on 10/25/2014Service was very friendly but wait and host staff needs more training in fine dining to match the caliber of the menu/wine list. That would make it a solid 4 star rating. Our experience overall was wonderful and we will return! Excellent food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I had hopedJustaguyDined on 10/24/2014After reading some of the reviews on Open Table I was hoping for a delightful experience. Overall, the place was quite disorganized, nobody was present at the reservation stand to greet us, after some wandering around we finally found someone to seat us. The dinning room was understaffed and the staff that was working was completely disorganized and running themselves in circles. This was especially disappointing as the dinning room was less than 1/3 full. We were preparing to walk out when the server came by for the third time and said she would be right with us, we interrupted her and ordered wine. (I can be much more patient waiting for service with a glass of wine in front of me) Food was OK, not bad, just nothing memorable.
- anniversarynathanDined on 10/16/2014My wife and I have been here every year since we met, our first date was here and our parents met here too. I love the atmosphere and the service. We wanted to adopt our server, she was just perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodPartyof4Dined on 9/6/2014We ordered the Steak Diane and it is made table side by the amazing manager"Beverly" who was very friendly and made us feel at home. She checked us into our rooms at the Inn, to preparing our meals, to running out a bottle of wine to a helicopter that landed ( Very romantic marriage Proposal). So she does it all and still was very pleasant! Thanks for a wonderful evening!Special Features:
- LocalDined on 8/31/2014We enjoyed a great meal. There was some confusion. There are two restaurants operating at the Afton House, something we were not aware of, and we ate in the wrong one (our reservation was for the Fine Dining). We would recommend better signage or more clarity on the website.Special Features:
- fire ruined dinneradventuresindiningDined on 8/23/2014We had been served our appetizers when we noticed smoke coming through the floor less than 10 feet from our table. Turns out the basement right below us had an electrical fire. One of the employees was a volunteer fireman so the restaurant decided not to call the fire department even though servers were telling him the kitchen was filling with smoke. We stood out side for 20 minutes while the tried to put out the fire and clear the dining room of smoke. The staff tried to get us to go in and finish our meal. We decided to leave. When I went to settle the bill they didn't take one penny off for our inconvenience.Special Features:
- The following 398 reviews are from the Afton House Inn reviews archive.
- So DisappointedcuppajoDined on 7/18/2014We had heard of the Afton House Inn for years. We were extremely disappointed. The service was slow. It ook a long time to even get water, then another long wait for the bread basket and olives. It was over an hour wait for dinner, and there were only two other tables with guests. The server kept calling us honey and dear and was patronizing. We brought guests, that had just arrived from Japan, and were embarrassed that we chose the Inn for dinner.
- PaulStoneDined on 7/12/2014Not bad. A little over priced for the quality food they offered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014The food good. The service adequate, a bit abrupt and harried. Few people, quiet.Special Features:
- We hadn't been for many years.enjoyableeveningDined on 6/21/2014The ambience was very peaceful and comfortable. We ordered martinis with blue cheese-stuffed olives and they arrived in an efficient manner. Our steak diane and 6 oz. fillet were deliciously prepared. We enjoyed our evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open Table & restaurant are not okDisappointedDined on 6/10/2014We made reservations on line. I received a confirmation of the dinner reservation for 6pm on 6/10. When we arrived, the hostess informed us that there was no reservation and they don't serve food in the restaurant on Tuesday evenings. I double checked and I had been confirmed. So I decided to go back to try to make a reservation again for 7:30 just to see what would happen and test the system. The system came back and told me that I could not make a reservation since I already had one in the two hour time period, even though the hostess said there was none. Please fix your system. This was to celebrate our 47th Wedding Anniversary. What a disappointment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Great place to dineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014I love this restaurant! It is quiet and elegant, yet you don't have to "dress up" to dine there! This was our 2nd time dining at the Wheel Room at Afton and both times we were NOT disappointed in the food or the service.Special Features:
- Wonderful meal and serviceEmptynestersDined on 5/21/2014We dined here for my husband's birthday yesterday. The food was amazing, the baseball steak was awesome as was the Gouda fondue and the apple dumpling. And the portions were very large. Our waitress recommended the steak and the dumpling and they were perfect choices. The service was awesome as well. I also had the Tirama tini, a martini that tastes like tiramisu, very good and not super sweet.Special Features:
- Mothers' Day BrunchJeanneDined on 5/11/2014The Afton House is a cute place and the staff were very friendly. The food, however, was bland, over-cooked, lukewarm and just not worth eating! We would have had better food (and less expensive food) at almost any fast food place. We will not be returning to the Afton House.
- Mothers dayFritzDined on 5/11/2014Food was above average for being crowded and busy on Mothers day,buffet style,they kept everyrhing well stocked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, terrible foodDisappointedDined on 5/11/2014We were there for Mother's Day Brunch. For $25 per person, I expected a lot better ! Food was barely warm; dried up fish, Arby's style beef with absolutely no taste, did not even try the sad looking pork chops which were later replaced by chicken, eggs benedict which appeared to be lumps of scrambled egg on soggy toast. There was nothing about this buffet that was appetizing - it was like eating in a school cafeteria. Would never recommend this place. We heard raves about Afton House and were very disappointed. Individual desserts were served by waitress and we not offered a clean fork for dessert!Special Features:
- Cute and quaintJennieBDined on 5/11/2014I brought my mom and husband here for Mother's Day brunch. The food was delicious; it all tasted homemade, like going to your grandma's which is hard to find in a restaurant. There was plenty of food during the whole meal; nothing ran out and we never had to wait for them to refill the dishes. The service was just right; we never had to wait long for drinks. The server even let my mom take her desert to go which isn't usually allowed at a buffet. There was plenty of seating room and it didn't feel crowded. The building was definitely old but the historical feel to the place it gave it a lot of character. I would come back again for brunch, but it's too far of a drive to come back for lunch or dinner. It would need to be a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mother's dayboatingnutDined on 5/11/2014The Mother's day brunch was very good. We enjoyed the different selections on the buffet. We had reservations which was nice. Service was good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Sunday buffetMikeDined on 5/11/2014Went to Afton House Inn for Mother's Day brunch. The place was overly crowded, and had a poor buffet setup. Service was slow and poor. The limited food choices were unimaginitive, overcooked and cold. There was nothing on this buffet that was decent. This restaurant has potential but for Mother's Day, there was no effort to make this a speical or memorable occasion, but simply to get as many customers in and out quickly with cheap and easy food to churn out. The decor and maintenance of the building is pretty rough. Outside it is dirty and in need of repairs and inside needs some attention. If the condition of the visible areas is this bad, I wonder what the kitchen is like.
- Great Mothers DayCFW3Dined on 5/11/2014Hats off to the staff at the Afton House, very nice job. Wife was very happy and loved the History of the place. Very nice selection of food and the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers dayOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/11/2014Enjoyed the mothers day brunch. My favorite was the salmon.Special Features:
- DisappointingTloquaiDined on 5/11/2014The people were friendly and pleasant but the rest was disappointing. We felt the buffet was unorganized, food quality inconsistent, and the presentation poor. Sorry!Special Features:
- schomieDined on 5/3/2014Great food relaxed dining overall a good exprience a return cost is in the plansSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always love it!SozofamDined on 4/25/2014We love this place. One of our newer favorites, and that's a very short list. Every choice we've made has been most satisfying and delicious. Love the friendly and welcoming staff. Baseball steak is amazing, along with the prime rib, "on special" pork loin and Steak Diane prepared table side, chowder, cheesecake, and apple dumpling. It's just a lovely night out and date place for my husband and me. Have recommended to the younger generation who loved it as much as we did! The Current's appetizers (before later dining here) were said to be amazing as well.Special Features:
- Easter brunch was fantasticMcDannoDined on 4/20/2014Arrived exactly at our reservation time and sat down almost immediately. Several choices for breakfast, lunch, or dinner in the buffet. Food was great, service was wonderful, ambience was perfect for an Easter Sunday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchDine2nightVIPDined on 4/20/2014Enjoyed Easter brunch at the Afton House Inn with friends and relatives. One of the least expensive brunches around. $25 included one beverage, quite the deal for a good brunch! The food was good, garlic mashed potatoes were awesome. Everyone raved about their desserts. The desserts were the favorite of the table. I had apple pie with a hint of cinnamon, topped with whipped cream. Best apple pie I have had in a long time! Dining area was on the small side so glad we made reservations! Enjoyed our meal, thanks Afton House Inn!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Steak called Diane494muncherDined on 4/18/2014Please visit the Afton Inn for a unique dinning experience. The staff is welcoming and make your dinner a one of a kind. It is tucked away from the Twin Cities which makes it romantic. It is not over crowded and a place to call your own. I wish there were more places like this that still serve comfort food. Order the Steak Diane for a special presentation by the servers.Special Features:
- Food was good, service amazingJi11beanDined on 3/22/2014The service on Saturday was amazing. The food was ok, both of our baseball steak and prime rib both were over done. We asked for medium, expecting some pink, but their was none. Prime rib was still great, but the baseball steak was ok. The apple dumping - was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Timedatenight2020Dined on 3/21/2014My wife and I had an absolutely amazing night out at the Afton House Inn fine dining. It was one of the best tasting menu experiences I've ever had. Romantic dining at it's best and the staff was friendly and very knowledgable. Outstanding and I highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flambe' by the St. CroixjodiVIPDined on 3/16/2014The Afton House Inn is located right near the St. Croix and I would guess it is very busy in the summer. They have quite a few outdoor tables and we may go back in the summer to avail ourselves of those. As it was March we allowed window seats to suffice and enjoyed our meal quite a bit. We were the only patrons (not quite 5 PM on a Sunday) for quite some time, and our service was very attentive until dessert when several other tables overwhelmed the lone waitress. My son ordered the Steak Diane, prepared tableside with a flambe' finish, but they were out of bananas for the Bananas Foster. Goldie's Walleye was great! It was very expensive, $176 for three (including 2 glasses of wine, two appetizers and desserts), so a rare treat for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a wonderful evening.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/15/2014We had a wonderful evening. The food was very good and our server was very friendly and you could tell she enjoyed her work. We loved the quietness of the restaurant, and even though it was full - the tables are far enough apart that you can easily carry on a conversation without being disturbed by loud talking etc. The soft music was very nice! We actually chose Afton because we wanted a nice, romantic evening! We got it!! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingmckenzvDined on 2/14/2014I came here with some of my friends for Valentine's Day. We are fifteen through seventeen years old and were expecting food that tasted average. We were pleasantly surprised to find that the food was delicious and worth every penny we spent! Hopefully we will be able to return someday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Quiet.....feedmeDined on 2/14/2014The atmosphere was perfect for Valentine's Day...quiet and live romantic music. The server seemed irritated when we didn't order any cocktails, and then she forgot our soup until we reminded her when our main entrees arrived. The salmon was very good but the walleye had lots of bones in it. When we ordered a dessert, the server was very helpful in describing the options. We will probably go back at some point since we live relatively close.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Romantic EveningFeelinGreatDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I had an EXCELLENT Valentine's dinner experience at Afton Inn. The food was really delicious, the service fast and efficient, and the singer/guitarist played wonderful folk music. It truly was a "A night to remember".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All Around Great PlaceLovetodineoutDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I go to Afton Inn a couple times a year because the food is that good. We went on Valentines Day this year. It was really busy, but with our reservation we had our table 20 minutes within arriving. On evenings that are not a special occasion we get seated instantly. It is understandable they are a little busy on special occasions. The food is awesome. If you like steak this is a place you need to go to. I have been to all the big steak houses in the Minneapolis area and I will say the Diane Table side Steak at Afton is the best one I have had. My recommendation is you have to try this place, the food is that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointment at a reasonable pricMikeDined on 2/14/2014The place is beautiful inside, the service staff seemed well-mannered and all the dining rooms and bars were full, all good indicators. The wine was good and I presume the filets would have been very good had the entire plate not been stone-cold. The Bearnaise sauce was missing, and the bread was not served until five minutes after the awful-tasting sauce finally arrived, and it took forever to get our check. Poor food preparation and delivery, even worse service,this place should be on the short list for one of those reality television shoes where a celebrity chef takes over because so many things are so wring with the place.
- awesome food, awesome serviceWilly123Dined on 2/14/2014Celebrating Valentines Day, my bride had the walleye and I had the mushroom pasta. Both were delicious. The one man band as excellent and our server Angelic was lovely. Will be back!Special Features:
- Had great evening with myd1065Dined on 2/14/2014Had great evening with my wife on valentines. Had flowers deliveried to restraunt and staff was very kind to place flowers in their office until we were done with dinner. Foof was fantastic and staff was friendly and always made sure we had everything we needed. Would paln another romantic evening here again.Special Features:
- Experience the Inn in the villageZiveliDined on 2/14/2014From its unique dining rooms, to the casual Currents restaurant, to the Swirlaway wine bar, to the scenic and entertaining dinner cruises, to the comfort of the lodging, the Afton Inn has something for everyone to experience, all in the quaint village of Afton along the St. Croix River.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.