Afternoon Tea - The Urban Tea Merchant Downtown
1070 West Georgia Street
Vancouver, BC V6E 2Y2Neighborhood:
Afternoon TeaPrice: CAN$30 and under
Afternoon Tea - The Urban Tea Merchant Downtown
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.urbantea.com/
- Phone: (604) 692-0071
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday through Wednesday 10:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Thursday through Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dessert, Afternoon Tea, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer a selection of Afternoon/High Tea options for private, charitable, and business functions.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer our Tea Salon for private and corporate events. Please enquire for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Casey James 6046920071x
A word from Afternoon Tea - The Urban Tea Merchant Downtown
A unique upscale Retail Boutique & Tea Salon showcasing over 300 teas from TWG Tea, the finest luxury tea brand of the world. At the forefront of Tea Gastronomy in Vancouver, The Urban Tea Merchant is continually drawing from its vast collection of Fine Harvest teas and Exclusive Blends, integrating a myriad of TWG Tea’s signature teas into savoury recipes using unique flavours. Introducing a whole new world of flavours to foodies and tea lovers when they dine at The Urban Tea Merchant. With breakfast, brunch, lunch, afternoon tea and dessert offerings, as well as trendsetting Teas and Tea-Cocktails, tea is woven into every aspect of the meal – an unmistakable nuance that deliciously enhances each dish.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Afternoon Tea - The Urban Tea Merchant Downtown - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Afternoon Tea - The Urban Tea Merchant Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (30)great for brunch (22)fit for foodies (22)great for lunch (19)good for groups (17)romantic (9)neighborhood gem (8)hot spot (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- londonerDined on 11/2/2014Afternoon tea is expensive for the amount of food you get. I've been other places where you get a lot more for the same price.
- Nice foodJaneDined on 11/1/2014I love the sandwich and the scone. The environment is a little noise because of weekend, but otherwise I love the food and service.Special Features:
- Great serviceDiner88Dined on 10/27/2014We had the harvest menu . The food was good but didn't blow me away. Although my favourite was the chive scone. The service was exceptional and several people came over to see if we were enjoying our time which was a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tea for twoLoMYsVIPDined on 10/26/2014My husband and I went to UTM to celebrate our 6 month wedding anniversary. The restaurant was energetic (a little noisy) but once we sunk into our comfy table and started sipping our tea (recommended by our knowledgeable server) we were in our own luxurious bubble and hardly noticed anyone else in the restaurant. The food was remarkable, and when we asked our server to swap out the sweets on our tea service for more savories, there was no problem with that at all. UTM is extremely accommodating, and put the experience of the diner first. I have been to UTM several times before and look forward to returning again, and again.Special Features:
- not worse itCocoVIPDined on 10/26/2014we order two macha and that cost $30 and it taste like so normal.... it is tooo expansive, it is expansive because of it's lacation. NOT WORSE it...i thinkSpecial Features:
- Over Priced!!!HQueensDined on 10/12/2014My cousin and I ordered the West Coast and we did not find the food at all exciting. The only item from savory that we actually enjoyed out of the entire plate was the sable fish. The sweets were too sweet. The tea however, was very nice!!!
- diningoodVIPDined on 9/26/2014Very good tea venue. The staff is very helpful, attentive and certainly knowledgable.Special Features:
- Tea connoisseurs welcomeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/24/2014My friend is a big fan of teas and so we decided to try place out again. He was impressed with the presentation and knowledge of teas from the staff. We were able to tell our server what we type of teas we liked and she selected a few of them for us to smell before choosing our final choice. We also had a few of their lovely macaroons which complemented the teas so well. It can be a bit pricy for tea and dessert but definitely worth it for a treat or to impress for a client meeting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014Very knowledgeable staff, amazing food, very friendly and accommodating! Would definitely recommend :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was awesome & deliciousAwesomeVIPDined on 9/7/2014So far, I experienced 2 afternoon tea places serve great food and good service. This was the 1st time I went to urban tea merchant, without checking out the review, I found the food was great....don't know how to describe but for aute, I will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Afternoon TeaMightComeAgainDined on 9/5/2014It's a bit noise which I am not expected. However, the service were very good.Special Features:
- SilverDined on 8/3/2014It's the first time I visit Urban Tea Merchant. Me and one of the friend had the signature afternoon tea. Not like others, their savouries were very unique. Strongly recommend ordering signature afternoon tea if you are a savouries lover. Their sweets were good as well, not a big fan of macaron, but their green tea macaron and onion scone are good. I'd ordered a rose hint black tea, it taste a little bitter, so it wasn't really my type of tea. The place were quiet, service was good, but the music playlist does not really match the afternoon tea. Definitely a place I will like to visit for a second time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 325 reviews are from the Afternoon Tea - The Urban Tea Merchant Downtown reviews archive.
- IndulgenceYleeVIPDined on 7/25/2014Something about the art of afternoon tea brings pleasant memories. It's nice to dress up a little and catch up with a gf over delicious food and extravagant teas. We ordered the Pink Flamingo tea service, we started off with a virgin martini which shouldve had been spiked but we decided against that so we could really taste and savory everything. Non traditional offerings of warm sablefish lettuce cup, cold albacore tuna tataki served on a flower petal shaped tortilla along side all time fave chicken salad cone were served with delicious sweets ie. macaroon, eclair and panna cotta. The selection of tea is vast, picking a tea is often the hardest decision made here. I opted for the magic flute and my gf passionfruit tea.Can't wait to be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014The food was delicious and looked pretty, the servers were friendly and very knowledgeable about all the varieties of tea.Special Features:
- A Nice IntroductionMattVIPDined on 7/5/2014Having never been for high tea before, my fiancé and I were in great anticipation, though admittedly a little uncomfortable with the prices! I mean really, $4 a macaron is a bit steep, no? Anyways, we came with another couple, and the server was VERY patient with us as he explained many different teas as well as the items on the menu. We had 2 Petite Tea and 2 Summer West Coast tea services. Both were excellent, and a table favorite were the chicken salad cones, which were fantastic (5/5). A few of the items like the chicken cones and sablefish wraps were excellent, but for the most part the food was good but not spectacular. The experience though was excellent and I'll definitely be trying high tea again!Special Features:
- Quaint little tea shopmerchantdinerDined on 6/28/2014Urban Tea Merchant appears to be a retail tea shop in the front, but they have a nice little dining space hidden away at the back. I loved the wide selection of teas they carry and the quaint decor. The West Coast tea service was nicely presented, I loved the open faced ahi tuna wrap and the sablefish lettuce wrap. Although it was busy and crowded when I went(which explains the 2-hour time limit), the service was still good as we were checked upon regularly so we know we weren't just forgotten. Very nice experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IkeeponeatingDined on 6/22/2014When we arrived we were help right away. They weren't that friendly but servers were nice. They gave us a dirty chair, dirty menu but the manager was very nice. In short everything turned out well. Will come back again.Special Features:
- Perfect for a girls day!RochelleVIPDined on 6/7/2014Went with a friend here before heading to Wicked. Ordered the brunch service. It was great, everything had great flavour, I don't think there was a single item that I did not enjoy. The tea was brought quickly and the food followed soon after. They were very accommodating for my friend as she is a pescatarian and required they removed the chicken item. Not only did they replace the item for her but they removed my chicken item and put it on a separate plate so she did not have to have it touch her food. The servers were all polite, quiet and attentive. My ONLY qualm was when we needed the bill so we could get to our show they weren't around and did not come back to our table for a bit. I tend to have this problem going for tea often though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/5/2014twas good twas good twas good twas good twas good twas good twas good twas goodSpecial Features:
- Great for BrunchLuvFoodDined on 6/1/2014Our family of three enjoyed brunch the Urban Tea Merchant on the weekend before heading off to a matinee. The menu was heavy on seafood which was fine by me but a challenge for my wife and daughter. The staff easily adjusted the items to non-seafood with little fuss. My daughter (14 yeaqr old) particularly enjoyed the smoked chicken salad. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Widest selection of teaDianeDined on 5/31/2014I've been to a number of high tea establishments and Urban Tea Merchant has by far, the largest selection. Their service is always outstanding and their food, superb! I highly recommend this place for special occasions or a girls day out!Special Features:
- Bad ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/28/2014I have been here many times but this last time the service and food was below par. The tea sandwich's were dry, the bread was cold and hard. I had requested a special dietary request which was ignored along with a few other misses
- Nice tea.smallfishVIPDined on 5/24/2014This is the only TWG tea place in Vancouver, so it worth the try.
- Nice as usualHightealadyDined on 5/16/2014Scones are all time favorite and the tea sandwiches are bit dry this time!Special Features:
- Love ItJojoDined on 5/12/2014The Urban Tea Merchant was amazing. I has the West Coast Tea Service and the food and tea were just simply divine. The service was a bit slow. We had to wait a while to get our orders in (nearly 20 minutes) and for the food to arrive but other than that, service was great. They were very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- underwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Great service with very friendly staff. We were quite early to our reservation so we took a gander at the tea shop. Lots of delishious teas and beautiful tea ware. The overall ambience was beautiful and quaint. I was completely underwhelmed by the food. The presentation was beautiful but the flavor was very minimul.Special Features:
- Delicious!vanlotusDined on 5/10/2014We enjoyed Tea here for Mother's day. The Tea itself is remarkable but the High Tea was fantastic! The savories were gorgeous to look at and very tasty. We brought my 18 month old daughter who wouldn't sit still and they were very accommodating of her.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day TeaMom2ThreeDined on 5/10/2014I brought my oldest daughter for Mother's Day Tea on the Saturday and met up with another mommy friend and her daughter. The staff were great with the kids I can't tell you how many times my daughter was complimented or talked to like a normal person. Once we were seated the service continued the girls were given colouring books to keep them busy and then a strawberry tea was recommended. The tea was great I had one with peach tones to it and the other two moms had one with chocolate it smelled great. The food was awesome but the macaroon were a bit soft for my liking everything was great. My daughter keeps asking when we can go back so that is the best sing to me that a 3 year old enjoyed herself and wants to go sit again for 2 hours :DSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFoodieVIPDined on 5/10/2014High tea is really about the experience and we unfortunately got an unpleasant one. Out server was extremely awkward who felt it necessary to tell us our maximum seating time was 90 minute as part of her introduction. This is not a good way to start, especially when she left us waiting for over 10 minutes prior. There was a hair on one of my desserts. My friend found a big on her berries. No offer to refill our pots wth hot water. For the price, which is one of the not expensive in the city, you definitely do not get what you pay for.
- Was not a great experiencemakiDined on 5/9/2014Food was below expectations and extremely over-priced, the whole hi-tea atmosphere was noisy and crowed, not a great experience at all, for this price I would have chosen high-end hotels but at lease the waitress was pretty nice.Special Features:
- Lovely place!TeatimeDined on 5/4/2014My sister and I had afternoon tea here and had a wonderful time. The ambiance here is perfect for a ladies tea or a romantic date--although the tea and snacks are expensive, it's a great place to treat yourself. Love the selection of teas--all fragrant and perfectly steeped.Special Features:
- the background musicsomeoneDined on 5/3/2014I think it would be so much nicer if they could play different background music. The music that they were playing that day just didnt go with the atmosphere...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a gem!lukuDined on 5/3/2014I brought my husband there to celebrate Mother's Day. Like a mum, my husband of sixteen-turn-seventeen years watches my back in whatever I want to do. It proved to be good choice to go there. The server educated us what we didn't know about tea leaves. It was quite an education and we really learned a lot. We opted for the Brunch menu and enjoyed every moment of it. He looked so contented when we left the place. We will be back.Special Features:
- My favourite tea party spotMisstaraDined on 4/21/2014I've been coming to the Urban Tea Merchant for a couple years since I first discovered it! Still remains my fave spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dry SandwichesOTsince08Dined on 4/20/2014The bread on the sandwiches was very dry, the side salad tasteless and the server haughty. If you are gluten intolerant, they need 24 hours notice - salad was not even available. Of course, this was not mentioned. Perhaps they should give 24 hrs notice if something is not going to be available. Not worth the $$.
- One of the best high tea placesgloriaVIPDined on 4/7/2014One of the best high tea places in town, great choices and tasty food. Tea selection is awesome too. Some places you won't visit again as the food variety is the same every time, but Urban Tea Murchant changes their menu often. What I like the most is their savory selections so it is a good choice for family celebration with elders too.Special Features:
- Always So memorableLLUUDined on 4/7/2014My friend and I had the Sakura High Tea, a meal centered around the spring cherry blossom season. It was absolutely beautiful! Service was very attentive and polite. Ambiance was peaceful and beautiful (sun at last!). We went here for an early birthday dinner and our server had a cute little fruit dish arrange for me with the words "happy birthday" scribbled in chocolate. Such a memorable experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!sweetcmcVIPDined on 4/4/2014This was my second time at the Urban Tea Merchant. I loved the experience (again). Ambience and service are excellent. Quality of food and tea are impressive as well. However, this place is quite expensive. As nice as it is, it shouldn't cost $90 for two people to have tea and both order the "petite tea service". It was only an afternoon snack for us but we finished everything - no leftovers to take home. Therefore, portions are considered small for the price paid. However, this place is still a nice choice for special occasions.Special Features:
- Perfect Birthdayspoo001Dined on 3/30/2014I took my mom for Afternoon Tea at The Urban Tea Merchant Downtown for a surprise 60th birthday. Despite the rain, the setting was perfect; corner table, cherry blossom trees in full bloom, quiet people watching... an excellent impression. Our tea selection included Constantine and Napoleon. Lovely. We had a Signature Service and a Sakura Service, both boasted plenty of food in a number of selections. I have a nut allergy and the hostess was gracious enough to verify and alter our meals with the kitchen to ensure a nut-free serving. Nothing on the plate was too over-the-top as far as flavour or texture were concerned which allowed us to really taste each piece. We really enjoyed ourselves and will recommend this spot to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The petite high tea serviceVanessaStarDined on 3/28/2014The petite high tea service was very awesome! worth to try it out.Special Features: