Afternoon Tea - The Phoenician
6000 E. Camelback Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85251Neighborhood:
EnglishPrice: $50 and over
Afternoon Tea - The Phoenician
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thephoenician.com/dining
- Phone: 480-423-2530x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Afternoon Tea, English
- Executive Chef: Lee Hilson
- Dress Code: Formal Attire
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live piano standards, as interpreted by Allen Comyns.
A word from Afternoon Tea - The Phoenician
In the English tradition, afternoon tea is served daily in the Lobby Tea Court. Consistently voted "Best Afternoon Tea" by the Phoenix New Times and Arizona Republic readers, full tea includes finger sandwiches, scones with Devonshire cream and preserves, pastries and a selection of fine blends. Classical music provides a charming backdrop for a relaxing afternoon break. A Gluten-Free menu is available with advance notice.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Afternoon Tea - The Phoenician - Best Restaurants in Scottsdale ›
Afternoon Tea - The Phoenician reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (26)scenic view (18)good for groups (14)romantic (10)fit for foodies (10)great for lunch (7)neighborhood gem (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Love it!SusieqDined on 10/13/2014Absolutely love coming here for this wonderful tea. Have been doing this yearly for 15 years. It is delightful, the food is scrumptious, and the service excellent. What can you say about having a waitress who remembers you time after time. They could not have made my daughter's birthday celebration any more special than they did! Thank you.Special Features:
- High TeaNichMorisonDined on 10/12/2014I am an officianado of High Tea including Tiffany's, The Strand Palace Hotel, The Empress Hotel, The MacDonald Hotel, Butchart Gardens and The Lake Louise Hotel. This experience was second to noneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Tea LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014I enjoyed my first time at tea at the Phoenician! Definitely recommend.Special Features:
- A Special AfternoonOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/11/2014It was so wonderful to be at this High Tea in October. I am a breast cancer survivor and to see all the pink around me including pink champagne (which was VERY good and not sweet) made it all the more special. I will be returning. This was my 4th experience. The service was wonderful and the piano playing divine!Special Features:
- Excellent English TeaazdiningfanDined on 10/11/2014Best place in the valley to experience Tea with friends and family. Ask for Wanda if you can for a server as she is excellent and has been their years.Special Features:
- Fabulous !!FoodieDined on 10/6/2014We have been going to tea for 5 years. Not once have we been disappointed. A tried and true gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely birthday celebrationeasyniftyDined on 9/26/2014We enjoyed a lovely "tea" recently and it couldn't have been better. A very nice selection of finger sandwiches, fresh scones, desserts that we had to take home with us as we were so full, could not fit them in. In addition the tea selection was excellent and we each had a separate pot - therefore could mix and match and try several choices. It was a very pleasant and relaxing experience. The birthday girl felt extremely special.Special Features:
- tdphoenixDined on 9/21/2014Fabulous afternoon and birthday celebration. Service was outstanding and the entire service staff worked to be sure our experience was memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Highest Tea, a Western SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014Speaking as high tea enthusiasts, Afternoon Tea at the Phoenician is our new all-time favorite. The food, tea, champagne, endless refills, fabulous hotel setting, live piano music performance and repertoire, excellent people watching, and incomparable serving team set an impossible standard to beat. If you have never been to an afternoon tea and can get to Scottsdale, AZ, make this reservation and show up with a good appetite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday traditionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/18/2014My granddaughter and I have come to The Phoenician for High Tea to celebrate her birthday every year since she was eight years old. The Phoenician outshines any of the other high profile tea houses with its professional servers, quality food and treats, and traditional teas suitable for the Queen herself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best spot in AZ for Afternoon TeaCt2azDined on 9/16/2014Hostess Natalie is wonderful- super warm, attentive, and accomodating. Elegant ambience. Food is excellent, especially the ham and asparagus finger sandwiches and delicious warm scones with Devonshire cream. Instead of being served all of your food on a platter at once, as at most teas, you are offered a selection of items, one course at a time, and have an opportunity for seconds of your favorites. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Reminiscent of London...TraditionalistDined on 9/6/2014Afternoon Tea at the Phoenician provides the perfect ambiance for relaxing, chatting, and just enjoying time with a friend or two. Tea at the Phoenician follows the English tradition I so enjoyed on my last visit to London.Special Features:
- High Tea is AMAZINGSuzanaDined on 8/3/2014I took my mom for her birthday and wouldn't you know it, they surprised her with a birthday treat and a live piano version of "happy birthday". It really made her day! The waitresses were amenable and vibrant and the food was delicious...beautiful view, beautiful music, and beautiful ambiance. It was very kid friendly too! I took my 8 month old and we had everything we needed for him. GO HERE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Afternoon teaJessDined on 8/2/2014The food was good though the tea itself was a bit disappointing. The water they used (I was told) was from the hot reservoir that was filtered but they need to either change their filter or try to use bottled water. The tea couldn't mask the taste of "faucet"water .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- afternoon teaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2014Tea at the Phoenician is always a lovely experience! Great for a ladies' afternoon or special occasion. Food and tea are always high quality. Only complaint is that at some point they started using large teapots for each person and the waitress does not pour the tea! When we went earlier in the year with older relatives, they could not lift the tea pot - too heavy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Semi-formal teaTea42Dined on 7/6/2014I treated my new daughter-in-law to a first afternoon tea. We were not greeted immediately, but after being acknowledged, were attentively seated at a lovely table with a view. The menu was traditional with sufficent variety and all 3 courses were very delicious. The pianist was accomplished, but repertoire was a bit cliche. Staff was warm, polite and professional. Others have complained of cost and service charge, but we felt that as they are up-front about pricing and it is intended as a special occasion, the cost was not out of line. We will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 265 reviews are from the Afternoon Tea - The Phoenician reviews archive.
- Afternoon TealuvtoeatDined on 6/21/2014Afternoon tea at the Phoenician is the epitome of how afternoon tea should be. Service is outstanding, food is delicious, and the background music with the pianist cannot be beat. It was relaxing and enjoyable. We wore our "fashionable" hats to the tea and it made the entire experience so much more fun!
- Great TeaColoradoDined on 6/17/2014Wanda served us tea and she is a gem. Worth every penny. Food great. Only complaint is that the furniture needs to be cleaned and upgraded. Not up to the Phoenicians standardsSpecial Features:
- High TeaMauiRitzDined on 6/14/2014The service, the food and the ambiance were all excellent. I would highly recommend this experience to anyone who enjoys afternoon tea. I took my niece and she loved the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Tea in TownAnnebizDined on 6/12/2014Tea at the Phoenician is always a lovely experience. The room is bright and comfortable and elegant. Beautiful table settings with linens and tea service. The service is outstanding and the 3 courses are delicious. Six types of sandwiches, followed by scones with jam and lemon curd and cream, followed by six types of desserts. Have them all, they are wonderful. Allan plays the Steinway and sings throughout the afternoon. Tea may also be ordered with champagne. Make a reservation and take a friend, you will love it!Special Features:
- London StyleTraditionalistDined on 6/10/2014If you are looking for a formal tea experience matching what the British royal family would consider proper in Phoenix, Arizona, the Phoenician offers the experience daily. Bring a friend or two along and enjoy the serenity of afternoon tea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!!TravelingDebDined on 5/27/2014The entire experience from start to finish was absolutely delightful. Caring service, delectable treats, and a wonderful ambiance. Simply delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expensive but worth itmarzarDined on 5/20/2014It was a splurge to be sure. (For th average person) It cost $130 for 2 that included champagne , tea, finger sandwiches, scones and delicious deserts. There was a long list of excellent teas to pick from. Service was excellent. The hefty service fee (automatically added even though there were only two of us) was another big cost. It took the joy out of tipping for the service given.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/10/2014Wanda and Natalie always make afternoon tea a memorable experience.Special Features:
- TeajonesDined on 4/24/2014A wonderful experience. The hotel is beautiful and the Afternoon Tea was outstanding! Will definitely come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 21st BirthdayKwalkDined on 4/19/2014Afternoon Tea at the Phoenician is like living a scene out of Downton Abbey! We dressed up including hats. Tables were set with gorgeous china and linen. The staff delivered exactly what my daughter dreamed of for her 21st birthday. The food was delicious, unique, and unending! We enjoyed tasting each of the teas our group ordered. The staff was attentive and kept the champagne flowing. Light piano music added a beautiful touch, especially with an elegance rendition Happy Birthday when our server delivered a special dessert. The experience was very high-end and elegant, however the staff was not stiff and snooty but relaxed and friendly, ready to serve and I never felt uncomfortable. We thoroughly enjoyed every minute of our 2 hour tea!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant Tea at Phoenician ResortMovingToEuropeDined on 4/15/2014Wanda, the hostess, makes you feel welcome immediately and does a wonderful job of service. Afternoon Tea in the Lobby is a lovely experience. Perfect for special occasions or just anytime to enjoy your friends company.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best tea time in Phoenixtea4twoDined on 4/11/2014Natalie and Wanda are the head tea masters and they each offer excellent service. This is my favorite treat to do with my girl friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyLocalfoodieVIPDined on 4/9/2014I've been bringing people to the Phoenician for tea for years. I rember the English lady in the white apron. Wanda is wounderful and has been there for 14 years now. It is really lovely. $50 seems crazy high for tea when I started coming it was $25 with champagne. The sandwiches used to be fancier. The are still delicious but simple. Scones are just ok. Desserts very nice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tea for twoFishVIPDined on 3/17/2014I took my daughter and we had a great time. It is a little pricey thoughSpecial Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/12/2014Many years ago, my mom took me to tea here when I was about 11 years old and it was a fond memory. So I decided, now 10 years later, to take my mom here for tea and it was every bit as great as I remember. Wendy was our server and she was wonderful, putting no pressure on us despite that it was the end of the afternoon tea session and we were the last ones there. Great service, great food, and great tea!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tea TimeLizzyDined on 3/12/2014Would recommend this to anyone for a great afternoon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make Any Day Mothers DayCalmBlissDined on 3/10/2014If you are looking for a special place to take Mom, a sister or a best friend for a special afternoon, look no further. My mom and I enjoyed a traditional afternoon tea. From the place settings, to the delicious three-course tea menu, to the service and the live piano in the background, it was a perfectly memorable experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful service, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014I have a tradition with a good friend of mine that whenever we meet up in a different city we have high tea together. This was one of the best afternoon teas we've had.Special Features:
- Very expensive and then PhoenicianPamelaDined on 3/5/2014Very expensive and then Phoenician adds a 22% service fee!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Afternoon TeaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/28/2014Our experience at the Phoenician was again spectacular. My cousin and I brought 2 young ladies with us and to experience afternoon tea through their eyes was to enjoy our first time there again. Wanda tended to us and I can't say enough how much she made our tea so special. She is an wonderful asset to the Phoenician. Thanks again as we will bring visitors there again. Thanks, SharonI would recommend this to a friend.
- Afternoon DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/25/2014What can we say? Afternoon tea at the Phoenician always makes our day! The food was delicious with generous portions. Sitting on our favorite cozy couch for two looking out at the view was perfect. And, last but not least, Wonderful Wanda our waitress was as charming and delightful as ever! Her sidekick, Natalie, is also lovely. Thank you for a memorable 30th wedding anniversary experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming Tea TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/21/2014The service was spot on--cheery and attentive but not hovering. The selection of sandwiches and pastries was great. The sandwiches were moist; the scones could have been more so. My sister made a special request for my birthday, which was happily honored. The piano music was lovely. We had a beautiful view of the golf course from our couch. We had a very enjoyable, non-rushed tea, and we can't wait to come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our special treatSBXladyVIPDined on 2/19/2014We love to treat ourselves whenever I am in Arizona to a special brunch at the Phoenician. Natalie and Wanda are delightful servers and the food is so special. We love the room, the piano, the tea, and the special friendly service. The Phoenician is a must-do treat for ladies that visit Phoenix, and we return at least 4-5 times a year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not very specialPVShoresDined on 2/18/2014Everything was fine, but nothing was outstanding. A little loud, service a little slow, food kind of dull, not much ambiance. Valet were extremely rude when we did not tip. Large obligatory service charge. For the price, we will not return.