Afternoon Tea at the Brown Palace
321 17th Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
Afternoon TeaPrice: $31 to $50
Afternoon Tea at the Brown Palace
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.brownpalace.com/
- Phone: (303) 297-3111
- Hours of Operation:
Tea: Daily: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Cocktails: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Afternoon Tea
- Executive Chef: Bill Dexter, Executive Chef
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off site catering is available from the Afternoon Tea or the Brown Palace Hotel catering menus.
- Private Party Facilities: Any of the Brown Palace Hotel's catering rooms may be reserved based on availability.
- Private Party Contact: Chris Jones 3033125352
- Entertainment: Harpist or Pianist, in the Atrium (adjacent the restaurant): Daily: 12:00pm - 7:30pm. Pianist: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 7:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
A word from Afternoon Tea at the Brown Palace
For decades, afternoon tea has been a tradition at The Brown Palace. Set amid the historic grandeur of the newly restored atrium lobby with its serenade of the melodic harp and piano accompaniment, guests revel in the splendor as they escape from the city's bustle. Enjoy such signature items as a pot of properly brewed English tea accompanied by scones served with Devonshire cream and preserves, savory tea sandwiches and a delightful array of classic tea pastries.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Afternoon Tea at the Brown Palace - Best Restaurants in Downtown / LoDo ›
Afternoon Tea at the Brown Palace reviews from OpenTable diners
166 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (141)romantic (47)good for groups (40)great for brunch (32)great for lunch (29)neighborhood gem (26)fit for foodies (26)kid-friendly (22)scenic view (9)notable wine list (3)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Had a wonderful afternoon celebrating my birthday.CarolDined on 11/16/2014loved the Brown Palace always a treat. Sorry I am not sure what you would like me to say. My party had a lovely time and we loved the Brown Palace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014I took my young granddaughter for her first "High Tea". And everything could not been more special and elegant that she felt so special. The staff was incredibly helpful and accommodating, explain everything and treated us like Royalty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tea at The PalaceDrPamDined on 11/13/2014For those who want to enjoy the ambiance and history of old Denver, Tea at the Brown Palace is always a pleasure. The service is excellent and the hotel is truly beautiful. Just the spot for a relaxing afternoon with friends who enjoy a special occasion in a historic setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Its hard to beat the Brown Palace...LuvfoodVIPDined on 11/13/2014The ambiance is always nice but the service was mediocre. It could be so much more with friendly and accommodating service.
- FABULOUS EXPERIENCECODoxieLadyDined on 11/10/2014We took my nieces here who are in their 20's. All of us enjoyed the ambiance and elegance of the palace. Very nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Treat for the SenseskbaryDined on 11/10/2014Tea at the Brown Palace should be on every Denver resident's or visitor's list of experiences. This time I treated my two twenty-something nieces to a memorable afternoon out and they both loved it. I'm sure I'm their favorite aunt now. Even though we were seated next to the piano, the music was lovely and added to the ambiance without being intrusive, and the pastries and sandwiches were beautiful and tasty. I particularly enjoyed the blend of Earl Grey that I was served. I don't get there often enough, but I'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- An Afternoon at the Brown PalaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014When I arrived at the Brown Palace, I was amazed. The tea was excellent and so was the pastries and decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely!ElyseUUVIPDined on 11/6/2014Afternoon tea for Mother and daughter! I was visiting my adult daughter and we had tea. Had a wonderful time and me vegetarian daughter was given meatless sandwiches, no problem! Great ambience and service!Special Features:
- Costs way too much for the qualityNalpakrVIPDined on 11/3/2014Great atmosphere, beautiful room and building, costs way too much for mostly average food. Only the sweets were quite good on top tier of tray. Tea water arrived tepid and we were coming for tea time. Loved loved loved the friendly pianist.Special Features:
- Fit for a Kinglive2prospectDined on 11/1/2014The Afternoon Tea was a very elegant and quality dining experience. The service was second to none and all members of the staff were pleasant and attentive. The food was delicious and beautifully presented but the teas were the best I have ever tasted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Timeless Tradition & CharmculinosityDined on 11/1/2014Located just steps from the 16th Street Mall; Afternoon Tea at the Brown Palace Hotel & Spa consistently takes travelers & locals back to the grandeur & ambiance of the Grande Dame hotel's from the late 19th Century. The combination of red Colorado granite and Arizona sandstone is naturally situated within this triangular plot located in the Financial District. Keeping with the 122 year tradition, upon arrival the entire staff consistently anticipate every need while maintaining a non-pretentious and warm culture. The tea professionals are seasoned veteran's and will walk you through afternoon tea service. Sit back while sipping a bubbly Kir Royale, gaze into the stained glass ceiling, and listen to the echo of the live piano or harp.Special Features:
- I love going to this place!JackieDined on 10/31/2014It's the experience that I love. I will take my mom next time. The coconut tea is great and the scones with the cream is just wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Tea!GastronautDined on 10/26/2014Sure, Denver has some amazing beer. And yes, being able to walk into a dispensary to buy marijuana for recreational) use, without having to fake a condition, can be great if weed is your thing. But think beyond beer and weed. Think Tea. This is the kind of elegant, timeless affair that offers a truly classy way to travel back in time and enjoy some tea and snacks in a space that oozes history.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Tea RoomgoldenfoodieDined on 10/25/2014I took a friend here for her birthday. It was a very fun girls' time out. The scones were delicious and the tea sandwiches wonderful. The best part was the chocolate torte pastry. We had the champagne and that made it a special touch. I will be back in December with my daughters! It's hard to beat the Brown Palace for tea.Special Features:
- Tea with a FriendFoodieDined on 10/23/2014It has been a long time since I had tea at the Brown Palace. I took my friend there for her birthday last week and while it was very nice there was something flat about the experience. The food was just ok, not stellar for the price. The tea was ok, I've had better at lesser tea rooms. The service was excellent. Very attentive and pleasant. The live piano music made it nice. We had an enjoyable afternoon chatting and eating and it was a delightful way to spend an afternoon...I'm just not sure I would pay that much again for the experience.Special Features:
- Afternoon Tea at its best!MargoVIPDined on 10/19/2014We felt like royalty from the moment we were seated. The pianist playing softly in the background added a note of elegance, and the food was superb! Service was attentive, but not intrusive. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant and refined, crusty breadjaneeyre96VIPDined on 10/18/2014Afternoon tea at the Brown Palace is as refined and elegant as you can get in Colorado. The tea service is lovely and the scones are amazing. However the tea sandwiches were definitely lacking. The chicken salad sandwich had dry, crusty bread that tasted a bit stale. The cucumber sandwiches were a bit soggy. The scones were the highlight of the tea, served with the lovely Devonshire cream. Service was pretty good, we had several people attending to our needs. The only thing that I don't love is that despite paying $70 for two people, parking is still not comped and the valet is $15.Special Features:
- Bad servicedisappointeddinerDined on 10/17/2014My girls have looked so forward to High tea at the Palace and what a let down it was. For $150 dollars I expected excellent service but was severely disappointed. The pastries were just aweful. Beautiful setting and love the history but Epic Fail.Special Features:
- Underwhelming and sorry to say sonorthcoastDined on 10/14/2014If a person could eat the ambiance, then this would be 5star all the way. Downtown at the Brown (PALACE) has always been special and I have been going there since 1971. As much as I love it, Tea is overpriced IMO. The tipping point....refilling the individual tea pots with more and more hot water, without adding more tea leaves. How about a fresh little pot? Seriously, at $33 to start, that is cheap.Special Features:
- BeautifulSpotamyDined on 10/14/2014I took my out of town mother to afternoon tea, it was absolutely perfect! The service was outstanding, the room was beautiful and the food was amazing!Special Features:
- Wonderful time with one faultsjconrad97Dined on 10/12/2014My son and I surprised his Mom with High Tea and it was "perfect" from the time we sat down until we got up. The plates were excellent and the tea was even better. Highly recommend this for any special occasion. I had to mark service very low due to the fact that, despite spending alot of money for High Tea, the Brown Palace does not validate Valet parking stubs and you have to spend another $15 for parking.Special Features:
- EnchantingtealuverDined on 10/11/2014As always, afternoon tea at the Brown Palace was an event to remember. Everything about the experience was perfect.Special Features:
- Don't Moan About Value, PleasesmartiVIPDined on 10/10/2014If you are going to moan about value, do NOT go to afternoon tea at the Brown Palace--or anywhere else. The Brown Palace tea was not quite as good as tea at The Plaza in NYC, but it's not as expensive, either. Service was good for most of the tea, but we did end up having to pour our own champagne toward the end--not a deal killer by any means, but not impeccable, either. Try the Vanilla Roobios tea and don't miss the curried egg salad sandwiches. Great way to enjoy the BP and a really lovely experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful Birthday PartyKailua333Dined on 10/10/2014The entire staff was amazing and accommodating. It is always hard to find places for large party birthday parties, but the staff makes it look easy. We had such a great time! Thank you to everyone!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/9/2014My family and I have been having birthday teas off and on at the Brown for over 12 years. My recent tea was with three out-of-town girlfriends celebrating our 75th birthdays. They loved the ambiance and the Brown as a whole but I was very disappointed with the food. I remember how outstanding the food used to be in years past and it doesn't measure up any more. Sandwiches were very uninteresting, scones were not as fresh as they could have been, and desserts were very average. The price has gone up, but the quality of the food has definitely gone down. Sorry. It used to be one of my favorite things to do.
- foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/8/2014The scones and dessert were amazing but the sandwiches were nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- last wishkeriDined on 10/5/2014My mom decided she wanted to take her closest girls out for tea as her last wish. She has been fighting best cancer for 6 years and he fight on this earth is coming to an end. Tea was a perfect time to celebrate her and we thank you for a wonderful memory. The staff was great and made it a great time. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun but forgetful staffOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/5/2014My best friend and I have taken our daughters here for High Tea every year on there birthdays. It is ALWAYS lovely and enjoyable. This year, however, They forgot one of the birthday desserts and I had to ask the wait staff 2 times during the meal to bring out a second dessert for the girls! I mentioned the 2 birthdays when I made the reservation, and mentioned it again when the Brown Palace called to confirm our reservation. Prices are higher, service is less friendly.... not the best time we have ever had there.Special Features:
- Not very specialLinzDined on 10/5/2014Brought by family from out of town here for a special girl's tea. My niece has a peanut allergy. After one waiter assured us the food would be ok, we had 2 separate wait staff come to out table and discuss (in front of a nine year old) past customers with allergies that had to be wheeled out on a stretcher in anaphylactic shock- after we'd started eating. The food was fine, my niece didn't have an episode, but needless to say, the event was ruined. The wait staff we dealt with was in need of education and sensitivity training!Special Features:
- Special Occasion Made More Special!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014Take a gorgeous ambiance, good service, and excellent food. Put them all together and it creates a memorable and fun experience. Afternoon Tea at the Brown Palace Hotel is a relaxing event and something that's well worth the money. The scones, sandwiches, and desserts were delicious and, of course, so was the tea.Special Features:
- Brown Palace trumps Empress Hotel!ClementineDined on 9/30/2014Stopped in for afternoon tea at the Brown Palace - one of the singular hotels in Denver. Parking was smooth and the valet staff excellent. After having a wonderful afternoon tea in England recently; and a lousy afternoon tea at the Empress in Victoria, BC . . . we were skeptical of great old hotels offering afternoon tea. But we were very pleased with the tea, the sandwiches, scones, clotted cream, and dessert treats. The service was great and the hotel lobby is lovely. Four stars - Brown Palace!Special Features:
- A Ray of Sunshine for Californians!JettyDined on 9/29/2014My husband and I were recommended tea at Brown Palace by our niece. What a delightful treat it was! It was pouring rain outside while we munched on delectables and sipped our special blend tea. The surroundings were beautiful and we especially enjoyed the piano player, who made the experience memorable!Special Features:
- Tea at the Brown PalaceConstanceDined on 9/26/2014Love the undeniable ambiance of this historical Denver hotel. Feels special and classy and is just that; with live music by an accomplished pianist during the Tea. Everywhere one looks, there is the beautiful architecture of the hotel all around. There is a wide variety of tea options and the sandwiches, scones and pastries are good. Service is prompt. They need to use real clotted cream, or even a sweetened creme fraiche and not light weight whipped cream in a dish as was provided. Overall, it is a fun, memorable experience and worthy of a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tea for twoLive2eatDined on 9/26/2014I like going to tea with a girlfriend of mine whenever I am in Denver. It's such a nice girly experience. The pastries are fabulous.Special Features:
- Wonderful TimeSFLocalDined on 9/21/2014We had a great time. A wonderful experience. The tea was very nice, the scones delicious and the treats were just that...a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a delight!fun3663Dined on 9/20/2014These was the first time to have Afternoon Tea at the Brown and it was as wonderful as I had heard. I would whole-heartedly recommend visiting the Brown to experience this offering.Special Features:
- Afternoon TeaKneecapDined on 9/16/2014The tea was wonderfully done. The food was excellent and the service was also.Special Features:
- WonderfuldancerbeanDined on 9/16/2014I was in town to try on wedding dresses. We decided to have tea at the Brown Palace and we were not disappointed. The ambiance was amazing, our server was attentive, and there was the most amazing pianist that really just tied together a wonderful experience. Would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant and delightful!AppreciateQualityDined on 9/14/2014Gracious service, excellent music, and beautiful setting made our tea at the Brown Palace an occasion to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tea and food fine, service lackingPnutDenverDined on 9/14/2014We always look forward to tea at the Brown Palace but I have to say I was less than satisfied with their service.Special Features: