Afternoon Tea at the Brown Palace
321 17th Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
Afternoon TeaPrice: $31 to $50
Afternoon Tea at the Brown Palace
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.brownpalace.com/
- Phone: 3032973111
- Hours of Operation:
Tea: Daily: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Cocktails: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Afternoon Tea
- Executive Chef: Bill Dexter, Executive Chef
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off site catering is available from the Afternoon Tea or the Brown Palace Hotel catering menus.
- Private Party Facilities: Any of the Brown Palace Hotel's catering rooms may be reserved based on availability.
- Private Party Contact: Chris Jones 3033125352
- Entertainment: Harpist or Pianist, in the Atrium (adjacent the restaurant): Daily: 12:00pm - 7:30pm. Pianist: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 7:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
A word from Afternoon Tea at the Brown Palace
For decades, afternoon tea has been a tradition at The Brown Palace. Set amid the historic grandeur of the newly restored atrium lobby with its serenade of the melodic harp and piano accompaniment, guests revel in the splendor as they escape from the city's bustle. Enjoy such signature items as a pot of properly brewed English tea accompanied by scones served with Devonshire cream and preserves, savory tea sandwiches and a delightful array of classic tea pastries.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Afternoon Tea at the Brown Palace - Best Restaurants in Downtown / LoDo ›
Afternoon Tea at the Brown Palace reviews from OpenTable diners
159 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (133)romantic (45)good for groups (44)great for lunch (42)great for brunch (33)neighborhood gem (25)kid-friendly (25)fit for foodies (21)scenic view (9)hot spot (3)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014I was in town to try on wedding dresses. We decided to have tea at the Brown Palace and we were not disappointed. The ambiance was amazing, our server was attentive, and there was the most amazing pianist that really just tied together a wonderful experience. Would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant and delightful!AppreciateQualityDined on 9/14/2014Gracious service, excellent music, and beautiful setting made our tea at the Brown Palace an occasion to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tea and food fine, service lackingPnutDenverDined on 9/14/2014We always look forward to tea at the Brown Palace but I have to say I was less than satisfied with their service.Special Features:
- pre-wedding day for mother of groomgopherDined on 9/11/2014the ambiance was the best!! so elegant and old world! a perfect place to have time for old friends as we enjoyed the beautiful room and decor while sipping tea!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 21st celebrationHappy21stDined on 9/8/2014I'll I can say, it was everything we wanted and we all enjoyed the food, tea, champagne, waitress and piano player. There's nothing you could change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and EnjoyablepamperingDined on 9/7/2014They made it an enjoyable time for my granddaughter for her birthday. We enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and the server was very pleasant. The food was good, the tea was excellent and we would do it again.Special Features:
- Not What It Used To BElovewineVIPDined on 8/31/2014Having enjoyed Afternoon Tea at the Brown Palace on several occasions I decided to take my wife there for our 30th anniversary. It is obvious that the new owners have made changes. Service was terrible. Our waitress was trying to cover half the tables including 2 very large groups. It took forever to get served, there was no follow up, and waiting for the check was a whole new experience. This was not only our table but the same experience was felt by the table on either side of us. Needless to say it will be a very long time before we return for what you to be a very pleasant experience.
- Wonderful place for a celebrationfamebcatDined on 8/31/2014Staff was friendly and accommodating. Beautiful setting, and of course, NOT cheap! Scones and treats at tea were lovely. Sandwiches were OK, but they saved it by offering to make a couple changes for us. And it worked out beautifully.Special Features:
- Tea at its bestWellTraveledDined on 8/30/2014Tea at the Brown Palace is like Tea at one of the best places in London. A wonderful experience and the music was an added bonus. The sandwiches were good with little artistic touches. The scones were some of the best I have had. The pastries were a wonderful selection that almost anyone could find something special as a sweet end to the meal. The Tea selection was good, but I have known other places to have a better selection (though only a few tea shops).Special Features:
- Had a good time!teatimeDined on 8/30/2014The Brown Palace is gorgeous! Afternoon tea was a pure delight!Special Features:
- Tea @ Brown Palace -- Don't botherOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I have gone to the Brown Palace many times for tea but had not been in a couple of years. My disappointment level was extremely high this time. First of all the piano was too close to tables and I had to ask to be moved. The scones were late coming to the table (30 minutes after being serviced the finger sandwiches and desserts) and fell apart when spreading the cream and jelly. The jelly was in a jar. What reputable establishment serving an English tea gives you jelly in a jar? We were only allowed 2 re-fills of the finger sandwiches before an extra charge occurred. The cakes were just okay. I have been to the Ritz in London and the Brown Palace was very comparable in the past but it is apparent to me that they are cutting costs.Special Features:
- A treatAgnesDined on 8/27/2014I took my 14 year old niece to tea. It was her first time enjoying this ritual. When I asked her about her favorite part of her vacation, she said it was the tea at the Brown Palace.Special Features:
- AndreaVIPDined on 8/25/2014Birthday celebrations! Excellent music too. Great hats and food and truffles. The place to beSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OOO-La-La!judeDined on 8/24/2014Tea is always a fun experience, but I took an out-of-town guest (from New York, no less) and she was wowed that Denver could offer such an experience. Terrific choices in teas, amazing yet friendly service, lovely food. My friend was using a cane that day and the staff could not have been more solicitous without being overly attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dns9Dined on 8/24/2014Three generations of my family (my grandmother, my mother, and myself) went for Afternoon Tea at the Brown Palace for my mother's birthday. It was very enjoyable. The tea was great, as were the scones, sandwiches, and desserts. The service was good, and our teapots were always getting refreshed with hot water. The dining area is in the middle of the lobby but is still enjoyable and very elegant.Special Features:
- Very nice, impeccable service.momsbdayDined on 8/23/2014Tea at the Brown Palace is perfect for a special occasion. The grand piano being played was very good and while it is a big, beautiful area it was not too noisy. Everything from big parties to a table for two and everyone seemed to love it. My only regret was not having rented a room there too, next time for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tea at The BrownBrenDined on 8/16/2014Outstanding high tea at the Brown Palace and Hotel in Denver! Lovely lobby setting; service was excellent; food was delightful. Piano music was a very nice accompaniment. We followed tea with a hotel tour (available only on Saturday afternoons). Thoroughly delightful afternoon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Afternoon TeaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014We were disappointed in our server's attention to detail. Our past servers have always been very friendly and interested in making our experience unique. We were disappointed there was an extra charge for additional scones. The cost of the afternoon tea is the same but the food was limited. We would prefer to pay a few dollars more per person and have the service and amount of food return to the tea's prior standards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularHappymamma2oneDined on 8/13/2014What a wonderful treat. I took my mother and daughter for afternoon tea. Well worth the price for special occasion. Tasty finger foods and scones with Devonshire cream, delicious tea and pleasant and friendly service. We loved the relaxing piano music and before we left, we were able to hear someone beautifully playing the harp. We loved our experience at the Brown Palace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth it One TimewouldnotreturnDined on 8/12/2014This was an experience that I do not necessarily regret but I would not do it again. The price was very high. The lobby was very beautiful but quite noisy. There was a lady that came in & sat right next to us that started in on a conference call. It was quite obnoxious. The food was not bad but was definitely not something I would pay for again especially not at those prices. I enjoyed the time only because I had never been there & it was an opportunity to do something kind for the friend I was visiting.Special Features:
- BeautifulCofoodieDined on 8/10/2014This is a perfect place for a special ladies day out. I look forward to making this a birthday tradition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Male server was unattentivefoodmuseDined on 8/8/2014While most of the staff was wonderful, our male server was always in a rush and rude to us.Special Features:
- High TeaBPhightealoverDined on 8/6/2014I have taken quite a few of my friends to the "Brown Palace High Tea", some are Piano lovers some love the Harp – This time my friend and I were so very much enjoying the Harpist. No doubt, Star is one of the best!! Thank you, Erika TiepelI would recommend this to a friend.
- High TeaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2014This was my second visit to the Brown Palace for High Tea. It's a wonderful place to sit and enjoy the tea, food and the company you are with. I would definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Good Experience Once AgainILoveBrazilianDined on 8/2/2014My mom was in town and I wanted to take her to Afternoon Tea at the Brown Palace since I have been before and loved it. My sister, mom, maid of honor and I went after I had found my wedding dress and we had a great time. The scones and dessert tiers are always my favorite and we enjoyed trying each other's tea. The only downside this time was the service. Our server was very nice and friendly, but it took a long time to get the check. My sister had to ask the hostess to send the bill over. Other than that I would recommend the Brown Palace Afternoon Tea to anyone wanting a special dining experience.Special Features:
- Well worth a visit!MuncheeDined on 8/1/2014We treated ourselves to tea while on vacation in Denver and it was lovely. The Brown Palace is worth a look, even if you are not dining, and adding tea in the lovely historic setting is special. The service is very attentive and friendly, and the food was by far the nicest tea we have had outside of England. Recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant afternoonDineTimeDined on 7/30/2014We had a Mom and daughter tea and it was a very charming experience. The tea, finger sandwiches, pastries and scones were delicious and we were able to talk and enjoy the moment. We were never rushed and the waiting staff was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High TeaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014The ladies in my family love to spend a couple of hours enjoying this special treat. As usual, the Brown Palace staff were solicitous. We enjoyed the company in a relaxing atmosphere and all of us felt that we were well taken care of. And the food was splendid.Special Features:
- FabgottodineDined on 7/28/2014Always a great place to take out of town friends and family! The Brown never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointingDisappointedDined on 7/28/2014I always love going to the afternoon tea at the Brown Palace. Since my last visit, I have discovered that I am dairy intolerant. I asked that they accommodate that, after all I was paying $39 for afternoon tea. I couldn't eat the pastries, I couldn't eat the scones with chocolate. They brought me two triangle finger sandwiches of turkey and hummus which equates to approximately 1/2 a sandwich and 2 strawberries. While the tea and ambience were wonderful, you would think a hotel like the Brown Palace could do better than that!Special Features:
- Disappointing High TeaTravelerDined on 7/26/2014A phone call directly to the restaurant was placed regarding special requests. Needs were documented & then completely ignored. Our waitperson poured the 1st cup of tea & then totally ignored the table. Had to insist on serving utensils after waitress told us to use our own silverware for clotted cream & edibles. We were a party of 6 & had no choice but to have 3 large coffee pots of tea rather than having our own choices. Was also guaranteed our size party (6 or less) could have individual checks. Head waiter insisted on one check with a mandatory 20% tip. Total for sparse edibles, one incorrectly poured Kir Royal, and compromised tea choice - $49.00 p/p. Could have had a very nice dinner for $49.00.
- This was spectacular!!!jrichardDined on 7/25/2014We didn't realize how great this would be when we booked our reservation. We would skip going to lunch to do this earlier! It's all you can drink tea which is fantastic! The sandwiches, scones, and desserts were great. They paired so well with the tea. They had live music (happened to be a jazz combo while we were there). It was so nice. We are talking about doing this quarterly it was so enjoyable!Special Features:
- High Tea at the Brown PalacefabulousfourDined on 7/22/2014My granddaughter was visiting from California and especially loves to do tea. There were 5 of us - my two daughters, two granddaughters(one was an infant), and myself. We all had a lovely, uninterrupted lunch/tea experience. The service was exceptional; refills on the sandwiches was generous as was the teapot refills. The seating was comfortable, and the live piano music very soothing which gave to a lovely relaxed afternoon luncheon. Our kudos to the staff who prepared the delicious sandwiches, scones, and pastries, as well as to the attentive staff who served us. This was my second time to have high tea at the Brown Palace and I would happily go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for Special CelebrationJCservicesnobDined on 7/21/2014I always enjoy going to the Brown Palace. It's a great place to celebrate special occasions. This last visit was with my 12 year old daughter. She is entering into that age where she is really getting to enjoy and appreciate fancy places such as an Afternoon Tea with silver and china. My intention was to have a special mother and daughter time, and the Brown Palace made sure we had that special time. Our servers were very pleasant, attentive, and accomodating. The live piano music was appropiate for the occasion and requests of other songs/pieces were readily played. The food was delicious and gladly changed to our vegetarian needs. These ensured my daughter and I enjoyed our time together, and these are the reasons why we go back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mile High TeaMTdinerDined on 7/17/2014This is the second time I have attended afternoon tea at the Brown Palace. Both times were incredible. The beautiful lobby, piano player, and table settings create a enjoyable atmosphere! Tea comes with an abundance of scones, fancy sandwiches, pastries, and fresh Devonshire cream flown in from England. I would suggest their Brown Palace Tea. The flavor is rich and it compliments the food that is served. The service is great. We never waited for anything or had to ask for refills. They are on top of it and spoil their customers. I highly recommend the Brown Palace afternoon tea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PattiDined on 7/16/2014My two eleven year old grandchildren, their mother, and their aunt had a pleasant experience at the tea. They enjoyed the ambience of this historic hotel. I will never understand the high price placed on afternoon teas and the Brown Palace afternoon tea's tea price was extreme! The teas that we had were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- =-OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014my two grand daughters really enjoyed the tea. and the pianist who played their favorite show tunes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/12/2014Loved the food, the environment, and the music. A special treat.Special Features:
- Beautiful Experience!Yomie88Dined on 7/11/2014Having tea at the Brown Palace is a treasure! The scones melt in your mouth. The cream for the scones is out of this world. It is a beautiful place to spend a few hours!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JuliaFelixDined on 7/7/2014Loved the ambiance. The Brown Palace tea never disappoints. The pianist was very good.Special Features: