Afternoon Tea at the Brown Palace
321 17th Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
Afternoon TeaPrice: $31 to $50
Afternoon Tea at the Brown Palace
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.brownpalace.com/
- Phone: 3032973111
- Hours of Operation:
Tea: Daily: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Cocktails: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Afternoon Tea
- Executive Chef: Bill Dexter, Executive Chef
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off site catering is available from the Afternoon Tea or the Brown Palace Hotel catering menus.
- Private Party Facilities: Any of the Brown Palace Hotel's catering rooms may be reserved based on availability.
- Private Party Contact: Chris Jones 3033125352
- Entertainment: Harpist or Pianist, in the Atrium (adjacent the restaurant): Daily: 12:00pm - 7:30pm. Pianist: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 7:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
A word from Afternoon Tea at the Brown Palace
For decades, afternoon tea has been a tradition at The Brown Palace. Set amid the historic grandeur of the newly restored atrium lobby with its serenade of the melodic harp and piano accompaniment, guests revel in the splendor as they escape from the city's bustle. Enjoy such signature items as a pot of properly brewed English tea accompanied by scones served with Devonshire cream and preserves, savory tea sandwiches and a delightful array of classic tea pastries.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Afternoon Tea at the Brown Palace - Best Restaurants in Downtown / LoDo ›
Afternoon Tea at the Brown Palace reviews from OpenTable diners
159 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (138)romantic (48)good for groups (38)great for lunch (32)great for brunch (29)neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (23)kid-friendly (22)scenic view (10)notable wine list (3)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- High Tea!GastronautDined on 10/26/2014Sure, Denver has some amazing beer. And yes, being able to walk into a dispensary to buy marijuana for recreational) use, without having to fake a condition, can be great if weed is your thing. But think beyond beer and weed. Think Tea. This is the kind of elegant, timeless affair that offers a truly classy way to travel back in time and enjoy some tea and snacks in a space that oozes history.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Tea RoomgoldenfoodieDined on 10/25/2014I took a friend here for her birthday. It was a very fun girls' time out. The scones were delicious and the tea sandwiches wonderful. The best part was the chocolate torte pastry. We had the champagne and that made it a special touch. I will be back in December with my daughters! It's hard to beat the Brown Palace for tea.Special Features:
- Tea with a FriendFoodieDined on 10/23/2014It has been a long time since I had tea at the Brown Palace. I took my friend there for her birthday last week and while it was very nice there was something flat about the experience. The food was just ok, not stellar for the price. The tea was ok, I've had better at lesser tea rooms. The service was excellent. Very attentive and pleasant. The live piano music made it nice. We had an enjoyable afternoon chatting and eating and it was a delightful way to spend an afternoon...I'm just not sure I would pay that much again for the experience.Special Features:
- Afternoon Tea at its best!MargoVIPDined on 10/19/2014We felt like royalty from the moment we were seated. The pianist playing softly in the background added a note of elegance, and the food was superb! Service was attentive, but not intrusive. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant and refined, crusty breadjaneeyre96VIPDined on 10/18/2014Afternoon tea at the Brown Palace is as refined and elegant as you can get in Colorado. The tea service is lovely and the scones are amazing. However the tea sandwiches were definitely lacking. The chicken salad sandwich had dry, crusty bread that tasted a bit stale. The cucumber sandwiches were a bit soggy. The scones were the highlight of the tea, served with the lovely Devonshire cream. Service was pretty good, we had several people attending to our needs. The only thing that I don't love is that despite paying $70 for two people, parking is still not comped and the valet is $15.Special Features:
- Bad servicedisappointeddinerDined on 10/17/2014My girls have looked so forward to High tea at the Palace and what a let down it was. For $150 dollars I expected excellent service but was severely disappointed. The pastries were just aweful. Beautiful setting and love the history but Epic Fail.Special Features:
- Underwhelming and sorry to say sonorthcoastDined on 10/14/2014If a person could eat the ambiance, then this would be 5star all the way. Downtown at the Brown (PALACE) has always been special and I have been going there since 1971. As much as I love it, Tea is overpriced IMO. The tipping point....refilling the individual tea pots with more and more hot water, without adding more tea leaves. How about a fresh little pot? Seriously, at $33 to start, that is cheap.Special Features:
- BeautifulSpotamyDined on 10/14/2014I took my out of town mother to afternoon tea, it was absolutely perfect! The service was outstanding, the room was beautiful and the food was amazing!Special Features:
- Wonderful time with one faultsjconrad97Dined on 10/12/2014My son and I surprised his Mom with High Tea and it was "perfect" from the time we sat down until we got up. The plates were excellent and the tea was even better. Highly recommend this for any special occasion. I had to mark service very low due to the fact that, despite spending alot of money for High Tea, the Brown Palace does not validate Valet parking stubs and you have to spend another $15 for parking.Special Features:
- EnchantingtealuverDined on 10/11/2014As always, afternoon tea at the Brown Palace was an event to remember. Everything about the experience was perfect.Special Features:
- Don't Moan About Value, PleasesmartiVIPDined on 10/10/2014If you are going to moan about value, do NOT go to afternoon tea at the Brown Palace--or anywhere else. The Brown Palace tea was not quite as good as tea at The Plaza in NYC, but it's not as expensive, either. Service was good for most of the tea, but we did end up having to pour our own champagne toward the end--not a deal killer by any means, but not impeccable, either. Try the Vanilla Roobios tea and don't miss the curried egg salad sandwiches. Great way to enjoy the BP and a really lovely experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful Birthday PartyKailua333Dined on 10/10/2014The entire staff was amazing and accommodating. It is always hard to find places for large party birthday parties, but the staff makes it look easy. We had such a great time! Thank you to everyone!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/9/2014My family and I have been having birthday teas off and on at the Brown for over 12 years. My recent tea was with three out-of-town girlfriends celebrating our 75th birthdays. They loved the ambiance and the Brown as a whole but I was very disappointed with the food. I remember how outstanding the food used to be in years past and it doesn't measure up any more. Sandwiches were very uninteresting, scones were not as fresh as they could have been, and desserts were very average. The price has gone up, but the quality of the food has definitely gone down. Sorry. It used to be one of my favorite things to do.
- foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/8/2014The scones and dessert were amazing but the sandwiches were nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- last wishkeriDined on 10/5/2014My mom decided she wanted to take her closest girls out for tea as her last wish. She has been fighting best cancer for 6 years and he fight on this earth is coming to an end. Tea was a perfect time to celebrate her and we thank you for a wonderful memory. The staff was great and made it a great time. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun but forgetful staffOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/5/2014My best friend and I have taken our daughters here for High Tea every year on there birthdays. It is ALWAYS lovely and enjoyable. This year, however, They forgot one of the birthday desserts and I had to ask the wait staff 2 times during the meal to bring out a second dessert for the girls! I mentioned the 2 birthdays when I made the reservation, and mentioned it again when the Brown Palace called to confirm our reservation. Prices are higher, service is less friendly.... not the best time we have ever had there.Special Features:
- Not very specialLinzDined on 10/5/2014Brought by family from out of town here for a special girl's tea. My niece has a peanut allergy. After one waiter assured us the food would be ok, we had 2 separate wait staff come to out table and discuss (in front of a nine year old) past customers with allergies that had to be wheeled out on a stretcher in anaphylactic shock- after we'd started eating. The food was fine, my niece didn't have an episode, but needless to say, the event was ruined. The wait staff we dealt with was in need of education and sensitivity training!Special Features:
- Special Occasion Made More Special!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014Take a gorgeous ambiance, good service, and excellent food. Put them all together and it creates a memorable and fun experience. Afternoon Tea at the Brown Palace Hotel is a relaxing event and something that's well worth the money. The scones, sandwiches, and desserts were delicious and, of course, so was the tea.Special Features:
- Brown Palace trumps Empress Hotel!ClementineDined on 9/30/2014Stopped in for afternoon tea at the Brown Palace - one of the singular hotels in Denver. Parking was smooth and the valet staff excellent. After having a wonderful afternoon tea in England recently; and a lousy afternoon tea at the Empress in Victoria, BC . . . we were skeptical of great old hotels offering afternoon tea. But we were very pleased with the tea, the sandwiches, scones, clotted cream, and dessert treats. The service was great and the hotel lobby is lovely. Four stars - Brown Palace!Special Features:
- A Ray of Sunshine for Californians!JettyDined on 9/29/2014My husband and I were recommended tea at Brown Palace by our niece. What a delightful treat it was! It was pouring rain outside while we munched on delectables and sipped our special blend tea. The surroundings were beautiful and we especially enjoyed the piano player, who made the experience memorable!Special Features:
- Tea at the Brown PalaceConstanceDined on 9/26/2014Love the undeniable ambiance of this historical Denver hotel. Feels special and classy and is just that; with live music by an accomplished pianist during the Tea. Everywhere one looks, there is the beautiful architecture of the hotel all around. There is a wide variety of tea options and the sandwiches, scones and pastries are good. Service is prompt. They need to use real clotted cream, or even a sweetened creme fraiche and not light weight whipped cream in a dish as was provided. Overall, it is a fun, memorable experience and worthy of a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tea for twoLive2eatDined on 9/26/2014I like going to tea with a girlfriend of mine whenever I am in Denver. It's such a nice girly experience. The pastries are fabulous.Special Features:
- Wonderful TimeSFLocalDined on 9/21/2014We had a great time. A wonderful experience. The tea was very nice, the scones delicious and the treats were just that...a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a delight!fun3663Dined on 9/20/2014These was the first time to have Afternoon Tea at the Brown and it was as wonderful as I had heard. I would whole-heartedly recommend visiting the Brown to experience this offering.Special Features:
- Afternoon TeaKneecapDined on 9/16/2014The tea was wonderfully done. The food was excellent and the service was also.Special Features:
- WonderfuldancerbeanDined on 9/16/2014I was in town to try on wedding dresses. We decided to have tea at the Brown Palace and we were not disappointed. The ambiance was amazing, our server was attentive, and there was the most amazing pianist that really just tied together a wonderful experience. Would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant and delightful!AppreciateQualityDined on 9/14/2014Gracious service, excellent music, and beautiful setting made our tea at the Brown Palace an occasion to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tea and food fine, service lackingPnutDenverDined on 9/14/2014We always look forward to tea at the Brown Palace but I have to say I was less than satisfied with their service.Special Features:
- pre-wedding day for mother of groomgopherDined on 9/11/2014the ambiance was the best!! so elegant and old world! a perfect place to have time for old friends as we enjoyed the beautiful room and decor while sipping tea!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 21st celebrationHappy21stDined on 9/8/2014I'll I can say, it was everything we wanted and we all enjoyed the food, tea, champagne, waitress and piano player. There's nothing you could change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and EnjoyablepamperingDined on 9/7/2014They made it an enjoyable time for my granddaughter for her birthday. We enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and the server was very pleasant. The food was good, the tea was excellent and we would do it again.Special Features:
- Not What It Used To BElovewineVIPDined on 8/31/2014Having enjoyed Afternoon Tea at the Brown Palace on several occasions I decided to take my wife there for our 30th anniversary. It is obvious that the new owners have made changes. Service was terrible. Our waitress was trying to cover half the tables including 2 very large groups. It took forever to get served, there was no follow up, and waiting for the check was a whole new experience. This was not only our table but the same experience was felt by the table on either side of us. Needless to say it will be a very long time before we return for what you to be a very pleasant experience.
- Wonderful place for a celebrationfamebcatDined on 8/31/2014Staff was friendly and accommodating. Beautiful setting, and of course, NOT cheap! Scones and treats at tea were lovely. Sandwiches were OK, but they saved it by offering to make a couple changes for us. And it worked out beautifully.Special Features:
- Tea at its bestWellTraveledDined on 8/30/2014Tea at the Brown Palace is like Tea at one of the best places in London. A wonderful experience and the music was an added bonus. The sandwiches were good with little artistic touches. The scones were some of the best I have had. The pastries were a wonderful selection that almost anyone could find something special as a sweet end to the meal. The Tea selection was good, but I have known other places to have a better selection (though only a few tea shops).Special Features:
- Had a good time!teatimeDined on 8/30/2014The Brown Palace is gorgeous! Afternoon tea was a pure delight!Special Features:
- Tea @ Brown Palace -- Don't botherOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I have gone to the Brown Palace many times for tea but had not been in a couple of years. My disappointment level was extremely high this time. First of all the piano was too close to tables and I had to ask to be moved. The scones were late coming to the table (30 minutes after being serviced the finger sandwiches and desserts) and fell apart when spreading the cream and jelly. The jelly was in a jar. What reputable establishment serving an English tea gives you jelly in a jar? We were only allowed 2 re-fills of the finger sandwiches before an extra charge occurred. The cakes were just okay. I have been to the Ritz in London and the Brown Palace was very comparable in the past but it is apparent to me that they are cutting costs.Special Features:
- A treatAgnesDined on 8/27/2014I took my 14 year old niece to tea. It was her first time enjoying this ritual. When I asked her about her favorite part of her vacation, she said it was the tea at the Brown Palace.Special Features:
- AndreaVIPDined on 8/25/2014Birthday celebrations! Excellent music too. Great hats and food and truffles. The place to beSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OOO-La-La!judeDined on 8/24/2014Tea is always a fun experience, but I took an out-of-town guest (from New York, no less) and she was wowed that Denver could offer such an experience. Terrific choices in teas, amazing yet friendly service, lovely food. My friend was using a cane that day and the staff could not have been more solicitous without being overly attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dns9Dined on 8/24/2014Three generations of my family (my grandmother, my mother, and myself) went for Afternoon Tea at the Brown Palace for my mother's birthday. It was very enjoyable. The tea was great, as were the scones, sandwiches, and desserts. The service was good, and our teapots were always getting refreshed with hot water. The dining area is in the middle of the lobby but is still enjoyable and very elegant.Special Features: