Afternoon Tea at Taj Boston
15 Arlington Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
Afternoon TeaPrice: $31 to $50
Afternoon Tea at Taj Boston
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.tajhotels.com/boston
- Phone: 6175985255x
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday & Sunday seatings at 1:00 to 2:30 pm & 3:00 to 4:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Afternoon Tea, French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Certified Master Chef Daniel Dumont
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Entertainment, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Taj Boston has private function rooms for groups of 12 to 250. Many rooms have fireplaces and views of the Boston Public Garden. Please call the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Danielle Russo 6175365700x
A word from Afternoon Tea at Taj Boston
Taj Boston, the landmark hotel at Arlington and Newbury streets overlooking the Public Garden, has long been a favorite spot to enjoy the gracious tradition of afternoon tea. The inviting experience includes a variety of menu options and tea selections for adults and children in two sittings on Saturdays and Sundays, at 1:00 pm & 3:00 pm. The French & Adam Rooms are classically styled tea rooms with expansive views of fashionable Newbury Street, have been refreshed to offer a refined, relaxed ambiance that's just right to savor tea and convivial conversation. Located on the second floor.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Afternoon Tea at Taj Boston - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Afternoon Tea at Taj Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (25)romantic (7)great for brunch (6)fit for foodies (6)scenic view (4)good for groups (4)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- Birthday treatmoosedomeVIPDined on 9/14/2014Everything about the tea was very nice in a discreet, ladylike way. It was an experience I wouldn't choose but, as a gift, it was enjoyable. The main drawback is the price, which is so out of proportion to the meal that I can't imagine that anyone but a rich person would pay for it. $100 plus tax and tip for a few open sandwiches and little cakes! I would rather spend it on dinner!Special Features:
- Memorable, as alwaysRevjudithDined on 9/13/2014My grand-daughters and I invited their mother to be our guest for tea at the Taj, in honor of her birthday. It was a delightful way to spend a Saturday afternoon, and she was thrilled at the gracious attention she received. It is our family tradition to celebrate birthdays with tea at the Taj -- both grand-daughters know and look forward to it as their very special, annual outing. I am so appreciative of the courteous and professional service I've experienced everywhere at the Taj -- from hotel reception and attentive housekeepers, to cocktails at the bar or a relaxed breakfast. I applaud everything about this fine hotel. It's a plus that it is in a perfect location for walking around Back Bay and enjoying all that Boston has to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely teatryNewThingsDined on 8/30/2014We enjoyed a lovely tea, to celebrate a birthday and a college acceptance. Very lovely room and the food was good plus nicely presented.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice high teaOccasionalBahstonfoodieDined on 8/24/2014A beautiful room with kind staff and delicious tea! We ordered the Taj Tea ($42/person) and were both satiated by the end of our sitting. My chair's arm was broken, so that was a bit of a distraction. We ended up pouring our own tea for most of our stay, though our waiting staff did pour tea for us twice. It was a beautiful room and I think we would have enjoyed it even more if it hadn't been at the end of our trip to Boston. We were very tired! I don't recommend eating anything too soon before a tea sitting. Even though it was so hot out and we were really considering having ice cream before, it was a good thing we didn't, since the food and tea filled us right up!Special Features:
- Afternoon TeashaughnpDined on 8/10/2014We went to the afternoon tea at the Taj Boston to celebrate my daughter's birthday. The French Room is beautifully decorated. The service and atmosphere were outstanding. The tea was the best that I had ever had. The food was also very good. The price was expensive but worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Afternoon Tea with my DaughtersAquamomaDined on 8/3/2014First trip to Boston, enjoyed a memorable Afternoon tea with my two girls. It was very nice indeed. Years ago when my adult daughter was 15, we went to an Afternoon Tea in London at Harrods, and she and I both agreed Tea at the Taj was better! I was happy to have my youngest daughter, 14, along this time for the experience. Afterwards we took a long stroll through the nearby Boston Common Park....beautiful day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but Had Better for the PricehopefulandhappyoneDined on 8/2/2014The ambiance of tea at the Taj is lovely, but for the price, I've had better at the Four Seasons and L'Espalier. Service wasn't quite as attentive as it might have been, but they didn't rush us either, so that was nice. If you go, make sure to ask for a table by the window. Great view of Newbury St.Special Features:
- disappointingKateDined on 7/19/2014The Afternoon Tea at Taj Boston did not live up to our expectations. The food was mediocre and the service was poor. We had the Duchess which was pastries, petites fours, scones and tea ($34 per person). The food seemed to be cheap, mass produced and uninspired. The server rarely came to our table even though he insisted on pouring our tea for us and when he poured our tea he splashed it all over. The room was lovely, but there was a classical guitar player sitting right next to us which made conversation more difficult. Our table was very small and it was hard to maneuver things around the table. Lastly, there is no one ready to seat you for tea. You just have to hang around outside the tea room and hope someone sees you.
- Lovely Ambiance, Uninspired FoodtfanDined on 7/13/2014The tea room is lovely, and hearkens back to the age of the Boston Brahmans. If you want a gorgeous peaceful setting in which to have tea, and then stroll in the Public Garden, this is an excellent choice. While the tea was good quality, the pots need to be changed because loose leaf tea steeping for an hour becomes terribly bitter. I'm not sure the Taj realizes this. The sandwiches relied heavily on olive tapenade and mayonnaise. Unfortunately they all tasted the same. The desserts were absolutely lovely with excellent lemon curd, home made short breads, and mini truffles. The quantity of food was sufficient for a light meal.Special Features:
- great afternoon teateafor4Dined on 7/6/2014My sister-in-law and I took our daughters (aged 8) for afternoon tea after riding on the swan boats. The children's tea is great with nice sandwich choices and excellent hot chocolate (served in the same tea pots as our tea so they felt grown up). We both went with the Duchess tea which has only sweet offerings instead of savory and sweet. Nice tea list too. A violinist played for almost the whole 1 1/2 hours we were there. Very relaxing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulsharonDined on 7/5/2014I decided to take my daughters, niece, and their partners to tea as a way to celebrate babies, books and summer. It was delightful. The formal room is beautifully decorated and posh, the teas are delicious and the little sandwiches and cakes are veddy veddy British. This isn't something to do every week, or even every month, but for a special occasion it is perfect. It is an out-of-the-ordinary way to celebrate life's triumphs. But it isn't cheap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely, Classic TeaKHamDined on 6/21/2014I have attended quite a few tea services in both Boston and other large cities (Chicago, San Fran). This is easily the most "classic" I have tried. The welcoming tea room harkens back to a place one might only imagine -- overstuffed settees, silver warming pots with tea-light candles, and even a live violinist! The service was excellent and the tea divine. Also, come hungry! There is quite a delish array of finger sandwiches, scones, and sweets to try. Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tea with musicgreatdayDined on 6/15/2014Spending an hour and half listening to lovely music and nibbling on wonderful bites was like a mini-vacation. The violist was exceptional and added such a beautiful ambience to the afternoon. Service was impeccable.Special Features:
- High TeaFelixDined on 6/14/2014I brought my wife and its a great place to get to talk and be in a relaxed atmosphere. The tea is loose leaf which has much better flavor although the food is meager but that is to be expected at high tea. The service is excellent and you feel like royalty when you walk in. Overall, its just a great way to spend the afternoon and spend time with friends and family.Special Features:
- Great Afternoon tea experienceAuroraDined on 6/14/2014Overall, very good service and very nice atmosphere to be in after a relaxing Saturday afternoon tea. The food was great but not fantastic, one of the scones was very hard (felt like it was left over from last night), that's why it got 4 stars instead of 5. By 4 o' clock, the waiter kindly reminded us that there would be a event book at 5 PM, which somehow affect our appetite and made us rush out around 4:30PM. A better way may be a poster or some notice at the outside of the Tea room, so that guests would realize how much time they have before they start their tea.Special Features:
- JessicaBostonVIPDined on 5/25/2014Tea at the Taj is so nice! Very elegant, beautiful room that sets the scene perfectly. The tea was great, nice selection.. and the food was very tasty too. It was very pricey for what you get, but still enjoyable for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Overpriced and still rip you off!JPS3192Dined on 5/24/2014This high tea consists of minuscule portions, totally overpriced and menu pricing that is impossible to decipher. You can't get out of this place without spending over 100 dollars for two. Outrageous!Special Features:
- The following 104 reviews are from the Afternoon Tea at Taj Boston reviews archive.
- HappymomDined on 5/18/2014I took my mother in law for the Tea as a birthday gift and she absolutely loved it! The ambiance was elegant and she loved the music played by a guitarist.Special Features:
- Our High Tea, planned forSpecialDay4fourDined on 4/13/2014Our High Tea, planned for 3 birthday celebrations, was wonderful! The two males enjoyed themselves, saying it was a nice, different way to celebrate their special day. The two women loved the entire experience! None of us thought we would have enough to eat, however, all were quite full walking out. The food and tea was delicious, the staff attentive - but not so much that we were interrupted. The atmosphere was beautiful, especially the live, soft background music. I have told many about our day and recommended it to family and friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant for a birthday celebrationtks22Dined on 4/13/2014We went to tea at the Taj as a special birthday celebration for a family member. The service was lovely and attentive, in an elegant and relaxed atmosphere. The only odd thing was the tea! Each person receives a teapot with an elegant warming stand. However, the leaves are loose in the pot, with no way to remove them when the tea has been steeped (there is a strainer you use when pouring your cup). My father's tea arrived already too bitter to drink. For others of us, the first cup was fine, but if you poured a second cup it was too strong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Girls Get TogetherSkipperDined on 4/13/2014We took a girlfriend out for her birthday and we all had a fabulous time. The service was friendly and impeccable. The decor was refined and beautiful. We all enjoyed the pastries and sandwiches that accompanied our tea. Overall we'd come back again for another special occasion.Special Features:
- A Marvelous Old-style escapeGoodeatsDined on 4/6/2014From the moment we set foot in the stunning tea room until the last crumb was eaten and the last drop of tea sipped - this was a very special and beautiful afternoon. The setting is embracing, light, and sumptuous all at once. The service is impeccable - the perfect balance of hands on care and time and space for privacy. The violinist was an added and unexpected addition to the overall experience. Five plus stars, in my book. As I said to my friend as our afternoon was winding down - "who else can we bring here?" Once is simply not enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tea Party at the TajBostonomnomDined on 4/5/2014A coworker and I took 4 students to tea as part of an auction item we offered at our school's gala. We had a great time. The food was wonderful. They even have a special children's tea which comes with a sandwich, cookie, chocolate covered strawberry and a pot of hot chocolate. The service was wonderful. We received a few complementary tea sandwiches and when on of the girls dropped her strawberry, they replaced it with 4 fresh ones. I would have enjoyed a few gluten free options on the menu. We will definitely enjoy tea at the Taj again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tea at the Taj -- great wayOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/23/2014Tea at the Taj -- great way to celebrate a special occasion or to create a special occasion!Special Features:
- Nice one time visit- graciousCapesteveDined on 3/16/2014Nice one time visit- gracious surroundings, elegant high tea. But we had cheese platter and portion was skimpy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Princess TeaguarjDined on 3/8/2014The Taj Tea Room is an experience you must try. The setting is perfect, the tea selection wide and the choices, including a children's tea made my two princesses feel like queens for the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not meet expectations/hypeFoodieGaloreVIPDined on 3/2/2014Food was amazing, service was good, but was overshadowed by overpowering floral smell. Not sure if they use air/carpet "fresheners" or if there were just floral arrangements that reeked, but we rushed to finish high tea just to get out of there. Also, the place REALLY needs a facelift. One can easily see dingy/worn carpets when going up the stairs, and much of the moulding was visibly chipped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant tea time experiencemellaxDined on 3/2/2014If you want the essence that defines FANCY tea time, this is the one. The prices are indeed steep, but I can safely say that the Taj Tea set is the best way to go in terms of both drinking tea and filling up the stomach with the sweets and savory eats. The atmosphere was incredibly quiet that one could hear the pin drop, and especially with the violinist playing live music. The only pet peeve about coming here are the availability of the dates to reserve (I had to reserve my spot a month ahead). Be sure to check and plan your day ahead! Not just because of the availability, but because it's better to enjoy tea in a relaxed setting without rushing to an appointment!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lessons in elegantEspiritalcaDined on 2/22/2014I introduced my daughter and 9 and 12 year-old granddaughters to High Tea (though I know technically in England it isn't "high") but that's what it is to us. They were excited about the idea when I introduced it as a Christmas gift, and were anticipating it for weeks. They were thrilled. The room is gold brocade drapes with large old 18th century paintings, fine china and all the accoutrements for an elegant "high tea" experience. We were so impressed when the waiter placed a napkin in each of our laps, and poured our first cup of special tea through separate strainers...no tea bags here! The tea sandwiches were small but delicious, the pastries delectable. My only wish is that the violinist throughout the whole time. Overall grade A.Special Features:
- Valentines badnessHenryDined on 2/14/2014I'm sorry but taj just wanted to make a few bucks for valentines day. They crammed about 40 couples and a large party for a pre-fixed meal. The meals were ok... Nothing outstanding. Sorry I really do enjoy their brunches but this was definitely a disappointment.
- Tea to take you back to finer timeTruthfultasterDined on 2/9/2014Tradition of yore, makes for a welcome interlude, we especially enjoyed on a winter sunday. Delectable treats, sumptuous sandwiches accompany the wide choice of teas, excellent service, soft violin music, Without the air of pretentious privilege, one might think tea at the taj entails. Perfect treat for moms, daughters, sisters, and the refined gentlemen in their lives. Delicious, fun, and different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How civilized people should live ..notworththemoneyDined on 2/1/2014Expensive but so worth it for the ambiance and service. Perfect for celebrating that special occasion. Have done this many times and will continue to make it our birthday tradition!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant and tasty teaLilahDined on 1/25/2014After experiencing the High Tea at the Taj in Mumbai, India, I was a little let down by the Boston version. The sandwiches were pretty standard and the beautiful chocolate covered strawberries were kind of mushy (and there was nothing that compared to the "gourmet street food" in the Mumbai Taj). However, we still very much enjoyed our experience- the scones in particular were very tasty and the atmosphere, with the violinist playing, was lovely. Definitely an expensive outing, but nice place for the experience of High Tea.Special Features:
- special dayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/12/2014Want to take mom, your daughter or good friend for a special lunch? Tea at the Taj is decadent and beautiful! Do it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had afternoon tea and itgoodchowDined on 1/12/2014We had afternoon tea and it was a delightful experience. The food is beautifully prepared and the service is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the BestnellieDined on 1/12/2014While Tea at The Taj was lovely in its atmosphere and service, the food was a bit disappointing. Certainly the savories left much to be desired in that they lacked imagination and were pretty dry. While the tea was of great quality and there was plenty of it, I was surprised to find the tea leaves were not removed from the pot, so that as you drank the tea was continuing to steep, becoming a bit bitter. The desserts were delicious, but greatly outnumbered the savories, which I suppose for some people is a plus, but in this day of people trying to be a bit careful of what they eat maybe there are more like me. The scones were average for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Delightful ExperienceBostonGirlDined on 1/11/2014Afternoon tea at the Tajj is a wonderful experience! Envision crystal chandeliers, plush couches, elegant china tea sets, and tiered serving platters laden with delicacies. We ordered tea for four and were well-looked after by our waiter who brought everything out in a timely fashion and made sure we had everything we needed. Add to this a view out the tall windows to the Boston Public Gardens and the sound of a violinist playing soft classical music in the background and the picture is complete! Highly recommended for an afternoon out with the girls, a romantic date, or to celebrate a special occasion such as a birthday or anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grace and gentilityOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/4/2014For the last 6 years my daughter has as a part of her Christmas presents chosen to bring a group of her friends to the Ritz now the Taj for tea. The young ladies get dressed up and really get excited. We have never been dissapointed. The service is first rate, the food excellent and well presented. The tea is a delight in an atmosphere of charm, grace and gentilitiy. The music switch from the harp to a violinist was not without a false start, but it was corrected and the contractors are of the hightest quality. The violinist this last saturday was particularly excellent. As a classical musician I am very grateful. This year we used the valet service and we very pleased. Bravi!I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was a truly memorableEDITHVIPDined on 12/29/2013This was a truly memorable experience, especially for our 11-year old granddaughter. The tea was good (if a little weak), the sandwiches and pastries were delicious and the service was outstanding. The Taj has truly carried on the elegance of the Ritz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The tea party of all tea partiesDutchess1Dined on 12/29/2013My birthday celebration with my husband and 13 year old granddaughter ... she and I always had tea parties as she was growing up and this was the tea party of all tea parties. Elegant surroundings, impeccable service. Little sandwiches on tiered silver trays, cakes too, pot of tea for each, violinist ... this was a completely delightful time. We absolutely loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.