Afghanistan Khyber Pass
523 University Ave
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
AfghanPrice: $30 and under
Afghanistan Khyber Pass
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://khyberpasssandiego.com/
- Phone: 6192947579
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Afghan, Mediterranean, Vegetarian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Wine
A word from Afghanistan Khyber Pass
Southern California's premier dining destination, where cuisine and atmosphere meet in perfect harmony.The Afghan Khyber Pass has been under its original ownership for over 28 years. We have received critical acclaim from every major food reviewer in San Diego. Each dish is authentically prepared from recipes that reach back over many generations. Our mastery of seasonings and spices create our reputation among gourmets as well as those not familiar with Afghan cuisine. If you have not yet tried our blend of exotic cuisines, you must come in and try them! Once you have, we know you will return for our mouth watering dishes - guaranteed!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Afghanistan Khyber Pass reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (7)fit for foodies (5)good for groups (3)great for lunch (3)special occasion (3)romantic (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Always AmazingMacca2014Dined on 9/27/2014I've been coming to this place for probably 10 years now and have never had a bad meal or bad experience. The service is always top notch and the food is always fantastic. It is a permanent favorite of ours and we recommend it without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb home cooking from afarLawrenceDined on 9/22/2014Quality defines this exotic fare. This is my second visit and I have not been disappointed. Please do not think this is Indian or Middle Eastern cuisine. This is unique however befits any palate universally.Special Features:
- Fell out of love...SDFoodLoverDined on 8/29/2014I used to adore this restaurant & have had many great meals here throughout the years. I hadn't eaten there for about two years, and was very much looking forward to a birthday dinner with family & friends, including my Dad from Boston. While the staff is super nice and friendly...the food was just so-so at best. Burnt naan...my dad's steak was tough and inedible...and formerly stellar dishes like the lamb & apricots were good but no longer great. Even the hummus was only ok and that used to be a standout. I was really puzzled by why a restaurant would even serve burnt naan. Especially to a table of 8 people -- who you know are there to celebrate a birthday. Sad to see the downturn. I hope they get out of this sad slump.Special Features:
- Great place!LiviDined on 7/27/2014Took a date out to this restaurant just a few days ago, and I have to say the place is amazing! The food is delicious, there is a huge selection! I really recommend any of the lamb dishes. The atmosphere is just right, with noise level being confined to the different tables. The service was definitely great as well! A must for any date nights, food cravings, or anyone who wishes to experience something new!Special Features:
- The following 17 reviews are from the Afghanistan Khyber Pass reviews archive.
- Good but Some Improvement Needed8outagainVIPDined on 5/31/2014We go to Kyber Pass about once a month. Food is good, especially best lamb entree and the side dishes. This night was spoiled by two issues. A small child yelling (not crying) at the top of her voice to get attention The parents did nothing, and all the guests were annoyed. The manager should have had a gentle word with the parents. We ordered an expensive wine, and large feast of side dishes and garlic nan. Everything was good, however because I am allergic to rice, we ordered only a half order of rice. They would not serve a half order, We had to buy a rather expensive (for rice) standard portion. No restaurant ever did that since they already have rice cooked and ready to be scooped out. Poor treatment for guest with a big check.Special Features:
- Yes, I DO like Afghani Food!KariDined on 5/14/2014My Book Club read "And The Mountains Echo" by Khaled Hosseini so we decided we wanted to have our discussion over Afghani food. Asehsan greeted us warmly and provided much needed advice on our menu selection. We all loved the food...especially the lamb dishes. The décor is warm and welcoming in an updated style with a lovely wall of water and interesting art. The owner was present and provided a personal touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Yummy!DawnmeDined on 4/20/2014I always love my dinners at Khyber Pass. I have visited several times over the past couple of years and everytime I leave with a full belly and a big smile. I appreciate the delicious food and the consistent staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurantJanislDined on 4/19/2014Very friendly and hospitable staff. Food has very generous portionsSpecial Features:
- Always GreatFoodmanVIPDined on 4/15/2014I always look forward to eating here. Wonderful service and great food. When I bring guests for the first time they are amazed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite restaurant in San DiegoDeboChicagoVIPDined on 3/27/2014We don't live in San Diego, but we have found ourselves there for business or pleasure about once or twice a year for more than fifteen years. We have been coming to Khyber Pass for at least thirteen years. It is our favorite place to eat there, with reliably delicious food, attentive service, and a pleasant atmosphere. When we are on business, we take colleagues with us. If we are meeting friends, we invariably suggest a meal there. My husband jokes that it's too bad there is only one restaurant in San Diego because I insist on returning multiple times during a single stay in San Diego. (But he never puts up any argument.) If you are not familiar with Afghan cuisine, Khyber Pass is a great place to try it. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still waitingOmerDDined on 3/20/2014Lots of waiting for not so great food. Given the other reviews for this resto, I was surprised by the incredibly slow service. Bad service you can get passed if the food is spectacular, but, it wasn't.
- Food and service not ImpressivedenverVIPDined on 3/17/2014I had a SAAG type dish and it was very little lamb. Bascially spinach and rice for 16 bucks. The lady that served us was sullen. My friend's food was better than mine but not impressive either. The ambiance here is beautful and the tea was very good. I would not go back.
- Absolutely wonderfulMattDined on 3/7/2014I was only in town for a few days and searched for a great, unique place for dinner. The food was authentic and delicious, ambiance was thoughtful and in good taste, and the staff were friendly. I would certainly recommend it to anyone looking to try or simply enjoy good Afghan cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Khyber PassLuv2eatDined on 10/26/2013I've been wanting to try this place for awhile. I was very happy with the ambiance, service, food and spirits. A fabulous experience overall. Thank you Khyber Pass!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff MeetingOfficeManagerDined on 7/24/2013Great location for a mid-week Staff lunch meeting. The foof is delish and they're very accomodating to modifications. Hope to return again soon with my spouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ww will returnMichelleGDined on 7/13/2013Good food reasonably priced, great service. Nice neighborhood restaurant, perfect for before a movie at Landmark.Special Features:
- Satisfied my very picky motherOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/25/2013My mother is a picky eater, and she likes to eat vegetarian if possible. We chose Khyber Pass because they have some vegetarian selections. This was the second time we've brought her to this restaurant and she delighted in the food both times. The others in our party all ordered lamb dishes -- all of which were excellent -- while my mother ordered an eggplant dish (the side dish) along with some rice. Together with the outstanding combo platter for an appetizer and a delicious garden salad, she was completely satisfied -- a remarkable feat given her eating tendencies. My only criticism was that my Greek salad was too heavily dressed and lacked the many other vegetables found in most Greek salads. Still, an excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2013Reservations were easy to make. The restaurant was very accommodating. Food was great. Waitress made suggestions based on our preferences. Portions were appropriate. Overall good experience. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ethnic restaurant.MugsyVIPDined on 4/6/2013Food is outstanding. Everything we ordered was delicious. Servings are good size and we always take food home.Special Features:
- Khyber Pass has been wonderfulAlphacatVIPDined on 3/1/2013Khyber Pass has been wonderful for many years. I love the atmosphere and modern decor, and the food is dependably scrumptious.Special Features:
- Authentic Afghan food, wellthescbaguyVIPDined on 12/30/2012Authentic Afghan food, well prepared, at reasonable prices. Try the new chicken with apricots dish; it's excellent.Special Features: