17370 Preston Rd. Suite 490
Dallas, TX 75252Neighborhood:
AfghanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.afghangrilltx.com/
- Phone: 9728180300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30 AM - 2:30 PM, Saturday - Sunday: 11:30 - 5:00 PM.
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30 PM - 10:00 PM, Friday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM, Sunday: 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Afghan, Persian
- Executive Chef: Matt Pikar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We are able to cater food for up to 150 people. Please email email@example.com for all catering inquires.
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private room that seats up 40 people comfortably.
- Private Party Contact: Matt Pikar 9724001640
- Entertainment: Live Music most Fridays.
- Special Events: Happy Hour Every Wednesday 5-7pm. Half-priced Appetizers, $4 Wine & $5 Pomegranate Martinis!
A word from Afghan Grill
Our food is not just a meal, it’s a taste of Afghan culture! Our menu offers Afghan novelties such as Mantoo, Qabili Palao and Sabzi Chalao, as well as an array of grilled kabobs and menu items from other cuisines such as Dolma and Hummus. Each plate is made with exotic spices and served fresh. Stop in and see what we are all about and discover a cuisine you never knew you were craving!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Afghan Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (4)neighborhood gem (4)good for groups (2)great for lunch (2)special occasion (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Authentic Cuisinejlb1Dined on 9/6/2014We enjoyed the Afghan Grill. The food was authentic and delicious. The service was friendly but a bit slow at times. The overall cost was a bit pricey, but not too bad for unique food. We would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good eatLove2eatDined on 8/31/2014This was a surprise and we didn't expect the food is so good. Sure will go again!Special Features:
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/12/2014While there was nothing terribly wrong about this place, it just seemed like a work in progress. Our waitress seemed really confused by any questions we had and the bartender was completely baffled by a request for a martini. The food (appetizers and main course) all came out at once. The overall quality of the food was pretty good but each dish seem to taste exactly like the others and we tried a wide variety. And it may have just been that it was a very hot Texas night but the restaurant was way too warm and clammy for a relaxed experience. It was worth a try but not a place I would race back to.
- Wonderful authentic food.tparkDined on 5/22/2014Delicious flavors were spot on! Great variety and very fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 51 reviews are from the Afghan Grill reviews archive.
- Order outLiveToDineDined on 4/2/2014We really loved our food. Everything from dolmas to kebabs was very flavorful and fresh. Service was pretty poor. Inexperience rather than inattention, though, which made it okay. It was very hot when we arrived but we let them know and they sprung for some AC. Also, the Owner (seemed like owner or manager) was obviously a heavy smoker and every time we came to the table we held our breath. The food was so so good though. Will order to pick up next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food. Service needed helpDoubleDateDined on 2/14/2014This was our third trip here and each time the food was amazing! Expertly prepared and fresh tasting. We went on Valentine's night with reservations and a request for a quiet corner inn the Open Table Notes section. Our table was ready but it was by the door and drafty each time someone came in or out. It turns out on this particular night, they had 85 covers booked and their waitstaff did not show up for shift. The bus staff made a gallant attempt to take over the serving and bussing duties simultaneously. This meant that (out of habit) priority was given to cleaning tables instead of seated, hungry guests. Clean tables meant more waiting guests could sit down which only added to the problem. Previous visits yielded good service & food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Valentine's Date in my lifeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014I was really excited about this place because of many reviews, however we were treated terribly by the staff, believe mostly it was the owner. We had reservations at 7:30, waited at the bar for 20 minutes for our table in which we couldn't even get a water while waiting. Once at the table we waited another 30 minutes and never even had a waiter come give us menus. Several other tables who arrived after us had already ordered there food. We got up and decided to leave, walking directly by the owner who just looked at us and walked by, while knowing where we were sitting was in his section. I was baffled at the treatment we received, luckily La Hacienda was close by and had very good Margarita's!
- food was awesome...service...ehhjmc224Dined on 2/14/2014I had booked hered for Valentines Day. When I walked in they at first couldnt find my name and that would definitely ruined the night. I eventually found my own name on the list. Then they couldnt find a seat for the two of us so we ended up sitting at a table for four. This evetually caused them to be backed up when there was a party of three or more coming in. Bit where else were they going to sit us? I thought reservations meant we had priority. I did book the reservation a month ahead. We got lucky though because aervice started backing up after we got there. Our candle wasnt lit until I asked. Some people didnt get their menus after 15 minutes of sitting there. Food was great though. Gf loved it. Work on service and five star is there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and interesting foodKinexusDined on 12/24/2013This little neighborhood restaurant is a real find. It's in the back of a shopping center, so I also mean that literally, in that it's a bit hard to find, but once you do, you may be hooked like we have been since we started coming here. The food is really delicious and very different from so many of the places we have tired of. Enjoy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful & Delicious!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/20/2013I Love the service, presentation, and the flavor!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, amazing foodK2LKDined on 12/17/2013Some of the best Afghan food I've ever had. Food came out quick and the guy working there is great. Will definitely come back again!!Special Features:
- Wonderful!brinalindDined on 10/4/2013We had an appetizer sampler and every dish on it was excellent - especially the kadu buranee - the sauteed pumpkin with the garlic yogurt and meat sauce. The Qabili Palao was divine. I will take visitors here in future and will look for other excuses to spend a little more than usual for an excellent meal. Great!Special Features:
- Delish!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/24/2013The food was great and the service was awesome. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Authentic Afghan FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2013We chose the "national food of Afghanistan" (according to Google) and it was very good. The service was fine and we particularly liked the fact that our party of four could talk without difficulty (too many places are much too noisy). Perhaps Afghan Grill is a just a little pricey for the food (Pera across the street seems a better value) but we had a good time and enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect Middle eastern cuisineankitDined on 8/8/2013The Mantoo was really good. I ordered the Qabili Palao and it really tasted worth it's price. The Baklava was just fine, nothing very special. I would suggest trying out the rose flavored Ice-cream instead. The place is quite with a good ambience & nice eastern music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ethnic foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/2/2013The Afghan Grill is located in the back corner of a quiet shopping mall. And even the the restaurant is quiet too, don;t let that discourage you - the food is excellent. All dishes were extremely tasty! This is a great place to go to eat something a bit different from the typical Texan fare - but texans need not be afraid - there are lots of great meat dishes with flavors different from the usual american norm but truly accessible and interesting. This is a place that deserves more customers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find in Far North DallasMarvinBidsDined on 7/19/2013Full disclosure - I wouldn't have known about the Afghan Grill if it hadn't been for D Magazine's Top 100 Restaurant List (#48). I'm so happy that I gave it a chance - the food was incredible. It's not easy to find - tucked away in a strip center, but well worth the effort to locate it. Outside of the screaming child, this place was pretty much perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Interesting and Tasty food.GoalsknDined on 7/5/2013As a foodie who is tired of the same three ingredients being used over ad over again in each restaurant I go to, I find the flavors, variety, and culinary innovation refreshing at Afghan Grill. I went there with my family on a quiet Friday afternoon. The restaurant was empty, the ambiance was perfect and the food was delicious. Although the waiter we had could have been a bit more Proffesional she was still very pleasant to deal with. I recommend this place to anyone who wants to try something truly new and escape the rigamarole of the standard cuisine options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!AnnieDined on 6/29/2013Love the ambiance and decorations! This is a quiet restaurant and the food we ordered was great! I would have liked the bread to be warmer and fresher. Other than that, it was an outstanding experience and we will return for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A different experience. GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/14/2013A different experience. Good food, can be construed as a blend of middle eastern and Indian food - but unique in itself.Special Features:
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2013The service and food were great. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Restaurant.RozinaDined on 5/12/2013Nice restaurant, great service, decoration was beautiful, couldn't have picked a better place .Special Features:
- Wonderful!SamsonDined on 5/12/2013This is truly a neighmorhood gem that has not been found! I have been here a couple of times and the food is just marvelous. The wait staff is freindly and helpful. They serve lots of wonderful vegetarian dishes, so this would be a good place for those not eating much meat. Will go again, hopefully without having to wait so long for a special occasion this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food bad service.MayaDined on 3/22/2013I took a dinner party of 13 to celebrate my husband's Birthday, and the food was excellent but the service was dissapointing. We has 2 servers, both unfriendly and we had to ask for every little thing Like bread, water, and accompaniment. When I made the reservation I mentioned we were coming over to celebrate a special occasion, therefore I expected at least a little bit of attention to our party. The owner seemed to be very friendly and kind.Special Features:
- Afghan Grill - DallasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/15/2013Nice combination of food , ambiance and service from a 3-4 star restaurant with ethnic Afghan Menu.Special Features:
- Delicious exotic food!arodnickVIPDined on 3/2/2013The Afghan Grill is truly a neighborhood gem in North Dallas offering excellent value for the money. The food was well presented, perfectly seasoned, and truly delicious! We had no idea that Afghan food was so good. Our waitress was efficient and knowledgeable about the menu and had some good suggestions. The atmosphere was pleasant and calm. My only hesitation about giving it a five star review is that the wine list is sorely lacking, and this menu needs good wine to go with it. There were only about five or six very basic whites and reds, respectively, on the menu, and they were out of the first red wine we ordered. Since they have a full bar, we can't BYOB (due to ridiculous Texas liquor laws).Special Features:
- Afgan Grill is a nice placecookoo4cocosDined on 3/1/2013Afgan Grill is a nice place but it wasn't that busyand the food was a little over cooked. The server was responsive but also talked to other diners when he wasn't serving tables.
- Food was very good. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/7/2012Food was very good. Service was adequate, but a little erratic and the server was not as attentive as she could have been.Special Features:
- Food was not as good as otherfoodieVIPDined on 12/4/2012Food was not as good as other local restaurants serving the sane type of food.
- Yummy Afghan Stylings in North TXMysteryDinerXDined on 11/10/2012We tried Afghan Grill on a whim (and because of solid ratings on OpenTable). We were not disappointed at all, and in fact, feel we have found a new favorite hang out! Despite reaching out semi-late on a Saturday, we were able to get a table without issue, and even with the AG being quite bustling. Service was excellent, conducted by Barry, the owner/manager. Food choices were distinctive, presented beautifully and were really hot and flavorful. When queried as to what to try, our waitress was well-versed in the menu and steered us towards several dishes that were authentic (at least by Texas standards) to afghan cooking.Special Features:
- Amazing,The food was authenticMaryVIPDined on 10/6/2012Amazing,The food was authentic Will be back for maoreSpecial Features:
- Food was excellent. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/8/2012Food was excellent. Service was even better. A great place if you don't want the same experience on the Lower Greenville scene.Special Features:
- Unbelievably great experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2012Unbelievably great experience. Everything was outstanding especially the spinach and lamb. The pumpkin appetizer was to die for. Great.Special Features:
- The menue and food was varied,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/1/2012The menue and food was varied, authentic, and well prepared. Wait staff was knowledgable and available to explain the various dishes and their ingredients. We will return there with friends who appreciate "different" types of food. The noise level was very good for conversation with "table-mates".Special Features:
- We were very sorry to seeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/12/2012We were very sorry to see this excellent restaurant virtually empty on a Sunday evening. The foo is excellent as is the service.
- Food was amazing, the serviceBEAEDined on 7/29/2012Food was amazing, the service was interesting adequate and basically uneventful but nothing memorable and the service certainly did not add to the experience, the waiter was unable or unwilling not sure which to answer questions or give suggestions on menu items. I will certainly give it another shot because of the quality of the food.Special Features:
- Our third visit to AfghanCWickVIPDined on 7/6/2012Our third visit to Afghan Grill. The appetizer Sampler was a very generous portion for 4 people, and serves as a wonderful introduction to the menu. Also highly recommend the Aush, a hearty, highly flavorful soup. Personal service that was right on the money.Special Features:
- Father's Day lunchluvtheplaceDined on 6/17/2012My family attended for Father's day and their food choices were great. I can't say the same for mine. The vegetarian dish was not what Ihoped for. I give a 5 star rating because everyone else at the table loved their meat, chicken and beef. They did an excellent job taking care of my 7 year old grandson, but the price was the same as for an adult. Overall I think the owner and staff were great.Special Features:
- If possible, Afghan GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/23/2012If possible, Afghan Grill would have received 3.5 stars; the food was solid, but I've had better in other cities and the server's attitude could have been better. The leek-filled bulanee ordered as an appetizer was, however, the best I've had anywhere -- great flavor, greaseless and a nice size portion (+1 star). The entree of Qabili Pallau was a mixed bag -- the rice, carrots and raisins were flavorful but the lamb while tender was bland (-1 star). The server was a bit brusque and rather than coming over to the table to see if the meal was to my liking and if I was ready for my check, he bellowed his inquiries across the restaurant (-0.5 stars). So, if you're in the neighborhood or hungry for Afghan food, I'd give Afghan Grill a try, bSpecial Features:
- Can't wait to go back!sablattVIPDined on 5/13/2012I really enjoyed the opportunity to try Afghan food, and it was delicious! It's milder seasoning than Ethiopian food, but they have delicious chutneys and spicy sauces.Special Features: