700 South 5th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
South Street / Queen Village
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.adsumrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2678887002
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Dinner: Sunday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday-Saturday 5:00pm-12:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Gastro Pub
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Adsum
Adsum is a neighborhood bistro restaurant and bar located in Queen Village.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Adsum reviews from OpenTable diners
- This is a general review ofOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/24/2011This is a general review of Adsum. I have eaten there twice, once with my husband, and once with my husband and his family. It is one of my favorite Philadelphia restaurants. The food is both creative and amazingly executed.Special Features:
- Good food. Nice wine list.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/10/2011Good food. Nice wine list. Spotty service on this visit, unlike prior experiences which were very good but were at less busy times.Special Features:
- No longer a destination restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/10/2011No longer a destination restaurant with Chef Matt Levin as he has left. This is a very good above average local restaurant with a solid reasonably priced menu.Special Features:
- An unknown gemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2011Tried this funky restaurant with my wife and daughter on Sat eve. The menu is eclectic and the food is excellent! We ate at an outdoor table and the area is quite busy - great for ppl watching. Prices are very reasonable for such outstanding food.Special Features:
- This time, Adsum was not onMaritamVIPDined on 9/9/2011This time, Adsum was not on its game like our first experience. My fried chicken was overcooked and served warm- tasted like it had sat there under heat lamps for a bit. I complained and received an absolutely delicious and delectable fried chicken platter. Nothing like the best!!! Service was the same great waiter we had on our first vist. Adsum is still a favorite and we will be back.
- service is the worst, plentyOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/9/2011service is the worst, plenty of help doing nothing.
- Went to Adsum for my birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/27/2011Went to Adsum for my birthday with family and we had a great time. The service was amazing as was the food. We're DEFINITELY going back!!Special Features:
- Sabayonne was watery. WaitOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2011Sabayonne was watery. Wait staff forgot about us. Food quality has dropped precipitously since the departure of the wonderful chef from the Swan. Would not return.
- Not a god experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2011Have been here before and this visit was a HUGE stpe down. Service was not good, food was cold and place seemed unkept. A big step backwards.
- Not what it once was!LocaldocVIPDined on 8/14/2011Menu has changed dramatically. The chef has left, new chef is "changing the ambiance." I ordered a wonderful beet salad two weeks ago. Yesterday, I ordered it, and my companion ordered an arugula salad. Both salads were identical! Both were OK, but nothing like the unique display that I had anticipated. Service was dreadfully slow. Our waiter was more interested in conversation with his friends at the bar than in attending us, and there were very few customers in the place. Too bad...this was a great place!
- Not sure what happened hereLodoVIPDined on 8/9/2011Not sure what happened here but this isn't the place it was when it first opened. Running out of entree items, there are only 4 on the menu, at a 6:30 PM reservation? Place feels like it is running on fumes. Too bad as it was excellent when it first opened.
- Our brunch was excellent andOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/7/2011Our brunch was excellent and the service was great. A great spot right off South street!Special Features:
- Nice enough evening and pleasantFoodfanVIPDined on 8/6/2011Nice enough evening and pleasant wait persons, but service was slow and the menu was more limited than I had expected. But we did enjoy what we chose.Special Features:
- The food was delicious andOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/4/2011The food was delicious and the service was great. It was a great place for a casual dinner. My one disappointment was the portion size. Even after an appetizer and entree I was still hungry!Special Features:
- Mostly Hit, Some missOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/31/2011The online menu is not close to the real menu. They were out of some items. The menu has evidently changed a bit lately. It's a little noisy, and the wine list online has been halved to omit the inexpensive items. Food was overall creative and very tasty. The appetizers and salads were wonderful, as were the salads. Most entrees were great. Hard to hear, and more true four tops would be welcome.Special Features:
- Grilled romaine is an excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/31/2011Grilled romaine is an excellent starter and big enough to split. Sockeye salmon entree was cooked to perfection. Great atmosphere, helpful staff - a great evening.
- We had an amazing brunch thatOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/31/2011We had an amazing brunch that more than met our expectations. Our table started with two starters to share; one of octopus and a second of ricotta beignets - an odd combination but each an incredibly good dish. The octopus was flavorful and tender, the beignets were everything a fried piece of dough should be. For entrees, our group had burgers, fried chicken and the poutin (french fries and cheese curds) with sausage gravy. The meal was comfort food extraordinaire. The burger was grilled to perfection and was served on a toasted egg bun with an heirloom tomato. The fried chicken should be listed as the best in the city. The fries were crispy on the outside, mealy on the inside. A meal to enjoy on a lazy Sunday afternoon.Special Features:
- Aromatic herbOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/23/2011Hit amd miss. Excellent tacos. Fantastic fried chicken, but service was slow and a lot of the duck fat fries were burnt. There was also the smell of another strong herb wafting through the room which perhaps explains the kitchen's inconsistency.
- service was a little slow,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/20/2011service was a little slow, place was a little niosy for so early, but the food was phenomenal. brought guests from out of town that could not stop raving about it.
- Great brunch Menu ! I can'tStormDined on 7/17/2011Great brunch Menu ! I can't wait to have dinner there.Special Features:
- Great time. Great food, perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/29/2011Great time. Great food, perfect serving size. Our waitress heard us share some good news with freinds and brought us complimentary congratulatory drinks. Very sweet!Special Features:
- The limited menu was a littleOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/25/2011The limited menu was a little challenging. Nothing really jumped out, so my guests and I went for the safe bet of burgers and fries. It's a shame, because it could be great - but the portions are too small (3 tacos are the size of one portion), and the service not very helpful. Our waiter had such disdain for us when we asked questions about the meal, or tried to sub to avoid non-favorites like collard greens. A larger menu and more exciting options would be great. Also - what's with the vanilla cream on meat??Special Features:
- great foodie gemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/25/2011Perfect experience from the service of the bartender, to the superb apps (rock octopus in caramelized pepper, and the hamachi), wonderful entrees (pork belly, and the pork chop milanese special), and the fresh light flavors of the desert choice (mint chocolate chip panacotta). Everything was well prepared, well presented, fresh, tender when needs tenderness, crisp when you needed crisp. Also, excellent drink and cocktail menu as well as beer selection. Bravo!!!Special Features:
- The only thing missing atjrghistoryVIPDined on 6/25/2011The only thing missing at Adsum is a nurse. After three of our six courses came with fries, and two of the others were fried, and dessert was a stunningly delicious doughnut beignet, we all needed our cholesterol measured. It was all good. Did I mention that each serving of fries was prepared differently? Do French Canadians really eat poutine? The chef's conception of the restaurant as a modern bistro is perhaps deceptive. Rather, I'd call it comfort food at its most luxurious, with terrific value for the dollar. Come with an appetite and fill your arteries with fat. Eat, eat. Tomorrow you'll go to the gym.Special Features:
- An all-around great experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/23/2011An all-around great experience. From knowledgeable and attentive server, to excellent meals for all four of us. The hamburger was out of this world, the fried chicken was moist and tender and the fish and chips top-notch. And this after four excellent appetizers. A nice, relaxing atmosphere, small but good beer and (affordable) wine list, great food and great service. A must for all.Special Features:
- super-friendly neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/17/2011super-friendly neighborhood spot, with creative and interesting menu. while some of our appetizers were hit or miss, the entrees were all delicious.Special Features:
- I really enjoyed my dinnerrOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/4/2011I really enjoyed my dinnerr at Adsum. Although the menu was limited, there were enough options for anyone to choose from. The bibb salad was delicious as was the fish entree that I ordered (it was a special). My husband enjoyed the pork tacos and the burger. The atmosphere was energetic and fun and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- A weird mix of influencesOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/1/2011A weird mix of influences on the menu, but the food was outstanding. Loved the pigs' tails, which I never thought I'd eat.Special Features:
- One of the best. Great food.ventnorlovesfoodVIPDined on 5/28/2011One of the best. Great food. Can be noisy! But worth it.Special Features:
- Really good prok belly taco,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/22/2011Really good prok belly taco, poutine and fried chicken. The sixteen dollar pierogies were disappointing.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/14/2011my husband and i had Dinner on Saturday night and we greatly enjoyed our experience. The burger was huge and my fried chicken was delicous. We can't wait to come back and try some other menu items.Special Features:
- The Fried Chicken dish wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/14/2011The Fried Chicken dish was pretty good, although they could reduce the salt content in brining the chicken breast. The chicken was moist and tasty. The collard greens were sweet and tender and the cornbread absolutely rocked! Staff were excellent, attentive and empowered to adjust the menu when requested.Special Features:
- I've passed Adsum on my wayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/14/2011I've passed Adsum on my way in to work every day since it opened, and finally made it there for brunch on a Saturday. I would definitely go back. The food was interesting and good (though a few things verged on being a little too salty for my taste) and the staff was friendly and on top of things. As has been mentioned in other reviews, the portions are not huge, but were filling. The bill came to about $30 per person, and that included main courses, drinks, and sides. No matter what you get there, if you're a potato person, make sure to order the home fries...which are really more like latkes...but very tasty.Special Features:
- Excellent first experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/10/2011Very creative menu, delicious food, excellent service, and a fresh ambiance. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- Adsum has an excellent menuOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/8/2011Adsum has an excellent menu with wonderful unique options that I haven't seen elsewhere in Philadelphia. The prices are a bit high, but justified by superior culinary techniques and quality offerings. I very much enjoyed the special cocktails, but think there could be some improvement in the beer menu. Seems as though the restauranteurs are perfectionists who love canned beer and I think they could find some better options from local distributors.Special Features:
- Terrific food in a low-key,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/8/2011Terrific food in a low-key, fun setting. Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Too bad it's just off South Street. If it were in Northern Liberties, there'd be a line out the door.Special Features:
- loved the pork belly! theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/7/2011loved the pork belly! the foie gras poutine was great, too. everything was plated beautifully. innovative menu.Special Features:
- Our party of 6 had a fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/6/2011Our party of 6 had a fantastic time at Adsum. My laconic husbband thanked the server for fun and delicious food. And that sums it up; it was fun and delicious food. We loved the bluefish dip, the hamachi, the fried oysters. The poutine was tasty but more fun than a must eat. The pierogies, pork belly and fried chicken were really great. The burger the BOMB!! It is huge and can be split. I had the black cod and was just ok with that but perhaps because I was soooo happily full from the apps. Drinks were interesting too; good beer and wine list. The servers and manager were very friendly...it is a true neighborhood place where good service goes a long way. Wished they had the tastykake sliders maybe next time....Special Features:
- Sat at the bar and had dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/5/2011Sat at the bar and had dinner. The bartender Brian was very helpful when we made our selections. The food has so much flavor. It was really good.Special Features:
- I enjoyed my experience immensely,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2011I enjoyed my experience immensely, the staff was energetic and warm. The food well prepared and had soul. Am eager to go back.Special Features: