9 N 17th Street
Richmond, VA 23219Neighborhood:
EthiopianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.addisrichmond.com/
- Phone: 8043083649
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Ethiopian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: Various performance artists throughout the week coming soon and a DJ performing every Friday and Saturday late-night.
A word from Addis Ethiopian
"Addis Ethiopian, taste the cuisine, experience the culture." Meals are served communally on large platters lined with bread and laden with various vegetable and meat dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Addis Ethiopian reviews from OpenTable diners
3 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (2)neighborhood gem (1)special occasion (1)great for lunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- ExcellentlionheartDined on 7/27/2014The Addis restaurant provided excellent food and service in a timely manner!Special Features:
- So goodeatingqueenDined on 6/23/2014Every time I have eaten here, I have been so pleased. Great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 20 reviews are from the Addis Ethiopian reviews archive.
- Great food, unique experience.MGM50Dined on 5/14/2014Tasty dishes presented in a traditional manner make for a memorable experience. The owner was on hand to walk us through the menu and make recommendations. Vegetarian selections a good compliment to the carnivorous fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good eatsluv2eatDined on 5/3/2014Food was quite good. The vegetarian plate with all 6 dishes plus salad was great for sharing with the plentiful injera. Shrimp tibs were tender and flavorful, and the crispy beef with berbere was delicious. There was a single waitress, so service was a bit hit-and-miss. Yummy food for a very good price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's just a barNew2RichmondDined on 3/15/2014Poor service, bad experience. The bar was almost empty but we wait awhile to be seated and then much much longer to see menus or even be asked if we wanted water. The staff were all at the bar having fun with two customers. It was very apparent the three booths wanting to set dinner was of zero interest yo them. Finally a little man who said "here's your menus but I'm not your server" came over. Thirty minutes later with no order placed we opted to leave. We won't bother trying again. We were very disappointed as we were told the food was wonderful. We dined at the Nile instead and had a wonderful family dinner.Special Features:
- Although the food was okay,SandyDined on 12/21/2013Although the food was okay, the general feel of restaurant did not feel so authentic Ethiopian. You kind of want that when you're eating it a very different manner than which you are accustomed. Sports on at the bar, and dance video on big screen made the restaurant feel more like a strange bar than a restaurant in which you trust the food. Our server was very friendly and helpful enough. The food was not as delicious as Ethiopian food we've experienced at other places.
- Great for Vegans!VegetarianVIPDined on 11/8/2013Excellent food with plenty of vegan and meat options. Food took a very long time to arrive. Very noisy. Pleasant room with a wide variety of diners. Well priced.Special Features:
- amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2013we went there to celebrate a birthday - did not disappoint. service was great and friendly, food was amazing. and it is always special when the owner comes to check on your experience. lots of large groups dining that evening -such a festive mood. wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ethiopian OriginalFoodManDined on 7/10/2013I spent a few months in Ethiopia and ate everything I could. This food is the closest you could probably get to the food in country. The restaurant is classy and the service is great! I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to try Ethiopian food for the first time or just to have the food you missed from a trip there. I will definitely be back and will be taking friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had good ethiopian food.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/10/2013We had good ethiopian food. The flavors where there just it wasn't quite as good as other places I have tried in other parts of the country. But still worth the trip and going back. Ethiopain food is great!
- We love the flavors of EthiopianNewToSouthJerseyDined on 2/15/2013We love the flavors of Ethiopian cuisine, and Addis represents those flavors well. The food was delicious, and it was served more promptly than is sometimes the case with Ethiopian restaurants. Our one complaint was that the server knew nothing about the wine list, which left me to make an educated guess.Special Features:
- Excellent service, great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/5/2013Great service!! The owner accidentally gave someone our table when we were three minutes late for our reservation. He asked us to wait at the bar and bought us a drink. Completely unnecessary and a wonderful surprise! The food was very good as well. The spicy lamb dish (first one under the lamb section) was my favorite.Special Features:
- Thanks for the experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/26/2012It was my first experience eating Ethiopian food, so I have no comparison. The Chicken tibs were my favorite from what we ordered and we tried about 6 items. The dipping "bread" had an unusual texture which I found hard to get past and could not eat, but my partner enjoyed it. I enjoyed the spices and variety of meats available, as I am always in search of flavorful and different food. Not certain I'll return, but I do appreciate the Groupon, as it was the motiviting factor that brought us in. It opened my eyes to Ethiopian food and for that ... I thank you!
- decent food and horrible service.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/2/2012decent food and horrible service. We arrived at 6:30 and there were only 6 tables seated. However, it took 10 minutes for someone to come to our table and 45 mins to get food.
- Second placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2012Our first visit to Addis, after having been to the Nile several times, and frankly, Addis came out second. One thing we noticed was that the injera was a bit thinner than Nile's, and thus more difficult to use to scoop. Food was similar in taste (good) but Addis did not offer a sampler platter that allowed us to put together a full meal. We did order the 3 for 13 veggies, and while they were tasty, the quantities were barely enough for one person-- If this had been our first Ethiopian, it would have been fine, but compared to Nile, Addis paled--not badly, but definitely second place in my book.Special Features:
- Not your typical EthiopianOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/8/2012Not your typical Ethiopian restaurant. They have tables and chairs to sit on instead of low tables and cushions. Not all that authentic. Food lacked flavor, and on Saturday nights they have live music, which is great, unless you were expecting to actually talk to the people you were with. The wait staff were not knowledgeable about the menu, and just wanted you to order, eat and get out. Had to ask 4 times for napkins, which when you are eating with your hands, sort of important. But being that there are no other Ethiopian restaurants in the Richmond area, if you have a craving, I'd still suggest finding something else to eat.
- This was my first experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2012This was my first experience with Ethiopian cuisine. Both food and drinks were reasonably priced. The portions were generous and well seasoned. The food was over all very good with one exception. The ribs on the menu were tough. The owner came by our table to check on us, and since it was not crowded due to the fact we were early, we had a chance to talk with him. The style of eating makes it very easy to linger over the meal and chat with your dining partners. I enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Our Waitress was a bit inattentive,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/30/2012Our Waitress was a bit inattentive, but we got our food in a timely manner and was delicious as alwaysSpecial Features:
- Food and experience are differentSteveG60VIPDined on 4/28/2012Food and experience are different from the norm. Makes this a nice change of pace and a bit adventurous. But no more so than shall we say Mexican food 20 years ago. Just be prepared to eat with your hands.Special Features:
- Nothing routine about thisAlkatomaDined on 10/2/2011Nothing routine about this excellent dining experience! From calm to spicy, a wide variety menu has something new and fun no matter your tastes!Special Features:
- A Taste of the World !OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2011Located at Farmers Market, easy parking on street or in (daytime food stalls for $5). If you like to try International Cuisine from around the world go ! I've been to Ethiopia but this was the first Ethiopian Cuisine venture for her. She was pleased. Lots of choices vegan, etc, and food was very good. All entre's served on a platter. Experience eating with your hands. In Ethiopia and alot of restuarants the tables would be low and round to accommodate a bunch of friends or family "communing over foof". They dont have Rounds but still a good experience. St. Augustine is credited with the quote, "The World is like a book, and he who does not travel reads only one page". He who only eats American Fast Food gets ?? :^)Special Features:
- We had a very interestinggr8timesVIPDined on 5/27/2011We had a very interesting dining experience. Our waiter was helpful in explaining the menu and all unfamiliar terms, and the owner talked to us at length about Ethiopian cuisine. The Samosa was exceptionally good and the sampler entree gave us a good overview of Ethiopian food. We will definitely go back!