Adams Avenue Grill
2201 Adams Ave
San Diego, CA 92116Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Adams Avenue Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.adamsavenuegrille.com/
- Phone: 6192988440x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast & Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 8:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Tim Klepeis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
A word from Adams Avenue Grill
Adams Avenue Grill - Serving Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner - 7 days a week in University Heights.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Adams Avenue Grill - Best Restaurants in University Heights ›
Adams Avenue Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (36)fit for foodies (26)great for lunch (21)great for brunch (17)special occasion (16)good for groups (9)romantic (9)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- Varied menu; comfortable placeHappy2commentVIPDined on 9/16/2014We'll definitely be back. Nice menu options - comfort food and some innovative dishes and vegetarian selection. Wine selection by the glass was creative and well thought out (we picked three good whites). Very good service and nicely done inside - bright, classy but comfortable.Special Features:
- Perfectly enjoyable eveningSghdineDined on 9/11/2014Everything about this venue makes it a great choice for relaxed warm get-togethers where conversation and food can be savored. Serving a gluten-free version of several dishes was easily and graciously accommodated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodeatsDined on 9/6/2014good all around with pasta slightly overcooked, I prefer more al dente so will request that next time.Special Features:
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/29/2014We love Adam's Avenue Grill. We are regulars for breakfast, brunch and dinner. The service is always great. Friendly, welcoming, funny. We have never had a bad experience here. Recommend this restaurant to everyone. The specials are always great. Soups are delicious. A fixture on the menu is their Pot Roast and comfort food doesn't get any better.Special Features:
- Great variety and flavors!KristenVIPDined on 8/20/2014Large, but varied menu sure to fit the needs of all with wonderful flavors! The chicken/blue cheese wrap was truly delicious & unlike any other wrap you've had. The staff is good & accommodating. It's a very open environment, so not super romantic if that is what you seek, but is a great place for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- DisappointingcolonelbirdDined on 8/18/2014Seemed like a great place for dinner for 9 at 5:30. All good but for the service. Two (maybe 3) wine orders were missed until diners reminded server as entree arrived. Two (three?) orders (watermelon gazpacho) forgotten by server or someone preparing them. At least one guest waited for meal long after the rest of us. We all chose to wait--too long for some. Whenever served, everything was excellent. Saw no excuses: few other patrons in dining room--maybe two tables of 4 max.) All guests commented on poor service but great food. An awkward evening for me, at best.
- Better than Denny'sExperiencedServerDined on 8/3/2014I don't think that Adam's Avenue Grill has done anything to exceed my expectations on my multiple visits there, yet I keep going back...I don't know why! Perhaps it's because the other breakfast joints in the area have too long of waits. Honestly, the food sounds better than it tastes. I ordered the Bacon stuffed Belgian waffles topped with grits and eggs this last time. I didn't like how all the items were stacked on one another and the Hollandaise sauce was too sour. The "cheesy grits" were cold and lumpy and the side of fruit was more of a garnish than a side. Service was up to par, but as it got busier, it became more scant. It also became very stuffy inside. Please turn up the AC!
- vegan friendlyJannyVIPDined on 8/2/2014I took out of town guests there...one vegan, one vegetarian, two "regular" foodies. We all found something yummy to eat.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as alwaysalanBDined on 7/12/2014Food is incredible per usual. Very reasonable for the quality of the food...our go to restaurant when friends/family are in town.Special Features:
- bday dinner celebrationLoveDessertsDined on 7/11/2014I have been here for breakfast with friends and it is always good. I went for dinnner on a Friday night. I made reservations and they were busy, but able to seat people quickly. Nice atmosphere and clean uncluttered feel, but still warm. The staff was very helpful and attentive, but not in our faces. I ordered off of the regular menu (yankee pot roast) and my friend ordered a special (butternut squash ravioli). Both were tasty. We also tried three desserts. peanut/chocolate bar was interesting and good. I really liked the chocolate/banana dessert and my friend liked the chocolate/macadamia dessert. I would recommend this to restuarant friends.Special Features:
- Always a Great Choice!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014Had a lunch group here last week and we were all very pleased. This place consistently has excellent food and service. One of my favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch/lunchPAGirlDined on 6/23/2014We made reservations for lunch and were surprised that they were still serving breakfast. This worked out well as we sort of mixed it up with one having breakfast and two having lunch. Great variety of selections for the hungry and the lite eaters, including some tasty sounding vegetarian dishes. We certainly will go back to sample more.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/18/2014I am a frequent customer of the Adams Avenue Grill and am never disappointed! I have to say that the ginger-carrot soup is my favorite thing on the menu. So, I start there and work my way through all kinds of choices. For lunch or dinner, you will enjoy the wine list, the specials and, of course, the service (I think they really like working there!).Special Features:
- StuinSDVIPDined on 6/17/2014I have been at this restaurant many times in the past. Our two food selections were not the best which is quite unusual. We had a wrap which was good and the chicken strips with waffle fries ... the chicken strips have no flavor or punch. Must have been an off day as the food here has always been excellent.Special Features:
- Good if you live in neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/15/2014Large menu with eclectic choices. Food was under seasoned. Had the salmon cooked on a cedar plank, and the salmon was overlooked. Corn chowder was great. Our server was great but when we were seated, they didn't have enough menus to give to us (there were only 4 of us)! Owner(?) gave us snarky comment about needing to be patient. Which restaurant doesn't have enough menus? Good atmosphere. Good restaurant for the neighborhood but since i don't live there, i probably wouldn't go back.Special Features:
- A Neighborhood FavoriteLuv2EatVIPDined on 6/13/2014This neighborhood gem is wonderful. The menu is perfect for vegetarians (gluten free, too) and meat eaters. Breakfast and lunch are served daily and the choices are varied and delicious. There isn't an item on the menu that is disappointing and the desserts are truly yummy. Dinner is great and the prices are very reasonable. The staff is extremely accommodating, the ambience is very pleasant and welcoming. We dine out a great deal and this is one of our favorite spots.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/12/2014Reasonably priced and excellent food. Unique offerings and quaint atmosphere. Loved it!Special Features:
- lvdannylvdannyDined on 6/10/2014Great spot. We were on vacation in San Diego and staying in the University Heights neighborhood. Great local place. Good food. Pizza's were huge. Wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 41 reviews are from the Adams Avenue Grill reviews archive.
- Excellent neighborhood restaurantAlexJDined on 5/20/2014Good food, good menu, lots of variety. We always find that the food is well prepared and the wait staff friendly and attentive. Prices are pretty good, not too expensive, but not coffee shop either.Special Features:
- Great place for family!beanoDined on 5/11/2014We went for mothers day as I delayed in making reservations elsewhere. I'd eaten there at their original location in Kensington. I wasn't sure to expect this time around. I was a little nervous because we had our baby who, luckily, is usually quite well behaved. I just didn't want to offend others . There were seven of us and the table next to us had about a dozen people including a baby as well. Everyone was kind, the babies sat next to each other and the server was very patient and kind. We were there for a couple of hours. Great menu for our gluten free family. We will be back!Special Features:
- Mother's DaynewreviewerDined on 5/11/2014My husband, daughter and I have been coming here for Sunday breakfast for a few years now and decided to take my parents for Mother's day. We received great service from Sophia. She was very sweet while giving good suggestions when I couldn't make up my mind (which I never can). I'm glad I tried something new but I will probably have one of my favorites next time: Italy’s Proscuitto & Caprese Eggs or the Original Eggs Benedict. Their hollandaise is perfect. Both my dad and my husband had the pork enchiladas and they were fantastic. Mom had the smoked bacon & tomato soup with a half pear orange arugula salad. She loved it. Everybody loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great Mother's Day brunchdinerDined on 5/11/2014Great food, nice ambience, wonderful service! We will visit again soon.Special Features:
- Don't miss this oneTreaturfriendsDined on 5/10/2014Adams Avenue Grille is a wonderful neighborhood restaurant. Small, tucked away on a residential street, but a total gem. Very creative menu. Wonderful food and presentation. Easy to make reservations. Very friendly service. Very reasonable prices. Great desserts. No liquor, just wine and beer, which keeps it quiet. I got here often and this time was pleased to treat a guest from Texas to dinner who was totally charmed. Totally recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant in San DiegobhuntingDined on 4/17/2014I recently retired, but before that I often took special guests to Adams Avenue Grill. I think it is the best food in San Diego. They have a great lunch that includes desert. My favorites are the stuffed peppers, carrot ginger soup, and the goat cheese fritters. I am a vegetarian, but they have plenty of choices for carnivores, also. This is a great place if you want to get away from slicko hotels or the noise of downtown.Special Features:
- great comfort foodlizzyDined on 4/12/2014Great comfort food in a beautiful setting. Had not been there in a few years because the menu had not changed - but there are new delicious items on the menu and the food is as tasty as ever and the service is friendly and impeccable. Will definitely put this back into our regular rotation.Special Features:
- Yummy, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/2/2014How is it possibly to make gnocchi without using ANY flour whatsover? We all had a good experience, but I don't think the waitress truly understood gluten free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClosednthrichVIPDined on 4/1/2014We booked reservations for 9PM and they were confirmed. When we arrived they were closed and the place was dark - no one onsite.
- A Great Neighborhood RestaurantBenBinLBDined on 2/21/2014The Pot Roast is wonderful and delicious comfort food here. Skip the French Onion soup which is not served the way most restaurants serve it - as it is lacking the cheese on top. Also I'd skip the key lime pie as it is not as good as it used to be, and doesn't really look like key lime pie.Special Features:
- Excellent flavorCrenDined on 2/15/2014The pot roast and potatos were great, and the salmon was unique and very flavorful.Special Features:
- Always a good mealfoodie2Dined on 2/14/2014This is a great neighborhood restaurant... and I don't live in this particular neighborhood, but you know what I mean. It has an inviting feel, when you walk in, you get a friendly greeting, and you feel like you can fit in. Even though the tables aren't far apart, you can hear the people that you are sitting with and carry on a good conversation. The food is always good. We have tried many dishes and never been disappointed. And the menu is varied so you can always find something that everyone in your party will love. The desserts are incredible and there is a good wine list. We would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always gooddebbierDined on 2/13/2014I'm a repeat customer because Adams Ave Grill always has outstanding food and an upscale, yet relaxed atmosphere. No tie required, but you know you're in for a lovely experience. The service was a little slow this time, but it was very crowded for Valentines Day. Highly recommend and plan to return many more times. Best neighborhood restaurant!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trip planning lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/4/2014My party arrived 30 minutes late and I never felt it was an inconvenience, even though we occupied our table for the entire lunch service. Very hospitable staff and outstanding lunch. It is always a pleasure to dine here and are never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no plasticfood1stDined on 1/31/2014Loved the food! Loved the service! Hate drinking out of plastic and eating with cheap flatware, paper napkins and butcher paper on the tables :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adams Ave. GrillVirgVIPDined on 1/31/2014They never let us down. Always excellent food, service and atmosphere.Special Features:
- Anniversary Dinner38yearsDined on 1/31/2014This was a nice place to gather with our family. We all fit at the table and could hear one another. The decor was charming and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So pleased...AshleyDined on 1/24/2014I've lived in San Diego for about 2 years now and I had only recently found this restaurant through OpenTable. I wish more of my friends knew about it and I had visited here before! Our waitress was very attentive, the food was delicious and although it isn't a multiple page menu, there are more than enough options! It was great to go to a place on a Friday night without a long wait and with a nice quiet atmosphere. We will definitely be visiting again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Comfort a Food with a TwistLuvitalianoDined on 1/24/2014We were a group of four and everyone enjoyed their meal. The menu has many familiar items but with a twist. Very comfortable atmosphere and the associates were friendly and attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:
- great food in a great environmentrichgorVIPDined on 1/16/2014This little restaurant has great food and great ambiance. They make their own soda pop's with no sugar added.Special Features:
- Always great food and serviceEnjoylifeDined on 12/31/2013Love this restaurant for small neighborhood place . Have been both for dinner and lunch and am never disappointed. Servers are very knowledgable and upbeat. Menu offers lots of choices and prices are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Food and the Art WorkLuLu1Dined on 12/31/2013Always have a wonderful time at this restuarant on Adam's Avenue. They offer a wide variety of selections and seasonal specials to keep it interesting. their walls are lined with art from local artists and it keeps changing. The staff is friendly and the service is always great! Highly recommend reservations because it is a neighborhood favorite for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.