6476 Washington St.
Yountville, CA 94599Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.adhocrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (707) 944-2487
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Thursday - Monday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Sunday Brunch - 10:30 to 2 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Katie Hagan-Whelchel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Along with our events team, ad hoc is able to provide off-site services for private functions.
- Private Party Facilities: ad hoc can be reserved entirely for any size private party up to 98. Large party dining is also available for groups up to 40.
- Private Party Contact: Cassie Sealing 7079442487
A word from Ad Hoc
Thomas Keller’s ad hoc, which literally means "for this purpose," was originally intended to be a temporary restaurant, open during the development of a very different concept. But, due to its loyal following, it was decided that it must be a permanent fixture in Yountville. ad hoc serves a prix fixe, 4-course chalkboard menu, changing daily. Food is served family style and reminiscent of the comfort food with which Chef Keller grew up.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Ad Hoc - Best Restaurants in Yountville ›
Ad Hoc reviews from OpenTable diners
409 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (311)special occasion (170)good for groups (135)hot spot (135)neighborhood gem (128)notable wine list (111)great for outdoor dining (76)great for brunch (61)romantic (44)great for lunch (30)vibrant bar scene (26)kid-friendly (23)late-night find (9)scenic view (6)Show More
- foodieDined on 10/24/2014This restuarant came highly recommended, but I was disappointed. The dining room was so loud we could not hear the waiter and when we asked him to speak louder he just gave up. For some reason we kept receiving enough portions for 5 people even though we were clearly a party of four. The warm potato salad was amazing, so I had high hopes for the chicken caccittore. The chicken was a little dry and highly salty, maybe it was brined? The best part of the experience was the company of great friends.
- Amazing ad hocEmstarVIPDined on 10/19/2014Food was phenomenal and waiter was knowledgable and helped us find the perfect wine to go with our mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- uninspiring / mediocrityj1234VIPDined on 10/18/2014mediocre in every way. I don't know what kind of chef would want to put his/her name on this kind of food. only reason is if they are driven by the profit motive. food had no soul, technique or character. this is mass produced food at its worst. give me White Castle any day over this nonsense. This food is produced by someone who is so mired in technique snd food prep mechanics that they have lost track of what food should actually taste like...
- BMP3Dined on 10/18/2014A relaxed, modern atmosphere; young, energetic staff; and wonderful, creative food served family style. The menu describes the evening's fare, no selection, other than beverages and, possibly, an add-on dish. The night we dined recently the menu included an add-on lobster risotto. Fresh crusty bread is from the Bouchon bakery. The opening course was a fresh Romaine chop salad with beets, radishes, crispy proschutto; the main course: tender pork loin on creamy calliflower mash with apple (+Calvado?) reduction, which combined exquisitely with the meat juices--all these flavors together: Magnificent! The risotto played second fiddle, despite a generous amount of lobster meat. A cheese plate followed and dessert closed out this memorable meal.Special Features:
- Birthday specialrmahrleDined on 10/17/2014We went to Ad Hoc to celebrate my wife's birthday. The service was very prompt and professional. The food was great, though not mind blowing. Since everything is served family style, it is sort of like going to your grandmother's house, if your grandmother is also a fabulous cook with an awesome wine cellar.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedPatrickDCVIPDined on 10/17/2014The menu that night was New York strip with $18 lobster supplement. The steak was fine, nothing special though. The lobster was either overcooked or previously frozen -- it had lost most flavor and its texture was fading. Wine selection was good and the waiter pointed us to a small batch syrah that was excellent.
- French Laundry cousinSamSVIPDined on 10/17/2014Thomas Kellers other place is AdHoc. They have a 4 course Prix Fixe menu for each day and the only choice you have is whether to add the 1 or 2 side dishes. The day we went , it was Ceaser salad ( good, wiht extra dressing, but no anchovies) NY strip steak also good but not great, the blanched greens were good, but the polenta mash with mushrooms and parmesan cheese was just too mushy for me. We had ordered the extr side of veal sugo with noodles which was goo. After that we had cheese and crackers and a apple cupcake. Service was brisk and seemed rushedSpecial Features:
- Thomas Keller in the house!OenophileDined on 10/13/2014Had a great night at Ad Hoc. Fried chicken, lobster rolls on crispy brioche, Brussels sprouts, Mac n cheese, salad and cheese course. All food was awesome, perhaps specially so as Chef Keller was dining that night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fried chicken MondayzoltocVIPDined on 10/13/2014We had an excellent meal family style consisting of fried chicken, roasted brussels sprouts, mac and cheese, mixed salad and a slightly odd but surprisingly good banana/peanut butter dessert. Very nice wine pairings. Excellent service.Special Features:
- Walla2Dined on 10/13/2014Always a great experience. First time we have been there for "fried chicken" it was amazing!Special Features:
- Great food but very noisyDukeDined on 10/12/2014We had been to Ad Hoc before but only for drinks at the bar. This time we reserved a table and while the food and service were exceptional the noise was so loud that I had to shout to make myself heard to my husband who was seated across from me. I would sit at the bar if you want a more intimate experience.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/12/2014Had the Sunday brunch with biscuits, sausage and gravy. Biscuits were hard, sausage was hard - not moist. Was quite disappointed with the $100 price tag.
- Everything We Expected and More2happyfoodiesDined on 10/11/2014Ad Hoc was everything that we expected and more. The food was very flavorful, as well as being wonderfully presented. Loved the family style dining. Our waiter was great. He was knowledgeable of the wines that the restaurant offered. A person could have wine pairings with each course of the meal, but we chose one specific wine from the wine list and it went perfectly with our meal. Look forward to returning to Ad Hoc for a meal the next time we are in Yountsville.Special Features:
- One of the best chefs in town.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2014This is our second trip to Napa in the last 5 years. Last visit we went to Ad Hoc and loved the food. This time was just as great. Excellent service.Special Features:
- YUMOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014Farm fresh YUM! Every bite was delicious. Service spot on. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/9/2014Couldn't be happier with the food and place. It's loud in there but that makes it much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/9/2014Great cocktails, great food. Prompt and attentive service. I was leery about not having a menu to choose from but everything was great.Special Features:
- Met all expectations!BruceDined on 10/6/2014We had high expectations for Ad Hoc based on recommendations from friends and reputation. Ad Hoc met them all. Our server was fantastic . . . . articulate about the menu that evening and well versed on the wine list and food pairings (as well as music history, past and present). Set the stage for a memorable meal. Combinations that were not intuitive but were delicious together. We were fortunate to have a table outside on a beautiful evening. All in all a five star experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!Kjules13Dined on 10/6/2014Our dinner at Ad Hoc was one of the best I have ever had. The food was vibrant and delicious - an experience in Yountville that should not be missed! I love the set menu and that it changes each day...you can just sit down and enjoy the company you are with - instead of spending time reading through the menu to choose what you want. Do not miss Ad Hoc!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014Best food in Napa! Great family style restaurant! Would highly recommend to anyone that enjoys simple food prepared perfectly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Start to FinishValeriDined on 10/5/2014Ad Hoc lives up to what you would expect from Thomas Keller. The place is fun and unpretentious - bright and airy. We came for Sunday brunch and started with delicious Bloody Mary's, followed by the most incredible chocolate chip pancakes I have ever had in my life - required a second order. The corn beef hash and fried eggs were fabulous, and a nice generous portion for the 4 of us. We finished with a key lime tart with the fluffiest meringue - yum! Our service was also absolutely wonderful - there whenever you needed something, happy to answer questions. Do not miss this restaurant!Special Features:
- Great Food in Wine CountryRDD1Dined on 10/5/2014Visited Ad Hoc for Sunday brunch and we were thrilled. While it's a set menu, they do allow substitutions for dietary preferences/restrictions - my wife is not eating red meat so we sub'ed salmon for the corned beef hash. Starter salad was amazing - romaine, roasted beets, spicy cashews, green goddess dressing. Yum. Salmon has was also very good. We were too stuffed to eat much of the dessert. And a relative bargain. Wine list also very nice with lots of local choices.Special Features:
- Always a must for Brunch in Napa!SkinFlickVIPDined on 10/5/2014As usual, Ad Hoc does not disappoint. The food and service are impeccable! The only thing I notice is that the prices keep going up and up and up! For the known cost of the ingredients in brunch, the price is a little eccentric! Lettuce, Beets, Potatoes, Bread and Eggs prepared beautiful nonetheless, but $250 plus with mimosas? Getting a little crazy. Great time though.. I'll probably still go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit5starVIPDined on 10/5/2014We love Napa Valley restaurants and had always wanted to eat at Ad Hoc. We found the food to be very good and fresh. They accommodated my request for salmon instead of the corned beef hash that was on their Sunday brunch menu. The salad with beets was so crisp and fresh. Dessert of key lime squares was delicious. The family style service was interesting. Our waiter was helpful in explaining the menu and service. We would like to try the fried chicken some day at Addendum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expectations were higherMurphy42Dined on 10/5/2014Overall, it was a great experience. The service was exceptional. Food was good but not for what you pay. It's more about the location and notoriety I think. If you're into that, then it's for you. We had brunch so this is just based on that experience. Not sure I'd go back.
- Love Ad HocClassicDined on 10/5/2014Love the food and the service is excellent! Only bad thing was the guys sitting next to us were too loud and talked non-stop. Not the restaurants fault.Special Features:
- Overated foodeyedineDined on 10/4/2014The restaurant is getting by on it's reputation and not on it's food or service. You expect to be wowed by the food but most is average with a few hits. There are far better places to go in the Valley than Ad Hoc.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/3/2014Food, wine and service were all excellent. Can get noisy inside. Sit outside if the weather is nice and you want a quiet dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014Great experience yet again. Truly love this place each and every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food!!SaraDined on 10/2/2014Family style service of daily menu. Food was absolutely amazing. Great flavors, presentation, and portion sizes. Waited 4 years to visit this restaurant and it was worth the wait! Service is attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible this time!Napadiner2Dined on 9/29/2014Two years ago our meal at Ad Hoc was amazing, so when we returned to Napa we came back. This time the service was terrible, the food was inconsistent and expensive, and the wine pours were very small. We would not come back here.
- DELICIOUS!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014Hard to describe the experience.Go see for yourself.Special Features:
- Fantastic!BethVIPDined on 9/28/2014Ad Hoc consistently serves outstanding food. Absolutely delicious.Special Features:
- Best Pork ChopsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014The pork chops were the best I every had. Service was great. We were hungry so we went early and were seated right away. Everything was delicious. The cabbage and carrots were great along side the chops. The salad was fresh and seasoned just right. I also enjoyed the pumpkin bread topped with cream and pumpkin seeds. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Service was a bit slow at first but other than that it was perfection! Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining in the DarkJeanDined on 9/26/2014Right when we arrived the power went out! The staff was amazing, added extra candles, served a lovely meal and made the best of a challenging situation. We spend over 2 hours eating and talking and the minute we got up to leave, the power came back on!Special Features:
- Disappointed!RustyccVIPDined on 9/25/2014We have dined here before and our experience was incredible. Our recent visit was very lack luster. Menu of prime rib with a boiled potato was very unimaginative and blah...and they ran out of the braised carrots. Also, this is Thomas Keller's restaurant (of the C4C gluten-free flour). Their GF accommodation was to do nothing, they brought the bread and said sorry, none for you. We brought a bottle of wine and they charged $25 for corkage, which I do not have an issue with. What I do take issue with is that the waiter never poured the wine for us, he pretty much ignored our table all night. We asked for some salt and pepper he never brought it, we had to ask another server. Plenty of other restaurants in Yountville to check out.
- Great Spot!mbbsacDined on 9/25/2014outstanding food, service, and atmosphere!!! Menu changes nightly so always a new experience…..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as expectedKostasDined on 9/22/2014Food is average. Service too. I found a hair in my plate and they just took my plate and brought me a clean one. Don't have the chicken you won't eat it and there is nothing special to it.Special Features:
- Different ChoiseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/22/2014Foi uma surpresa conhecer uma comida diferente e um lugar especial. Além do mais você tem contato com a comida simples, saudávelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.