6476 Washington St.
Yountville, CA 94599Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.adhocrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7079442487
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Thursday - Monday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Sunday Brunch - 10:30 to 2 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Katie Hagan-Whelchel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Along with our events team, ad hoc is able to provide off-site services for private functions.
- Private Party Facilities: ad hoc can be reserved entirely for any size private party up to 98. Large party dining is also available for groups up to 40.
- Private Party Contact: Cassie Sealing 7079442487
A word from Ad Hoc
Thomas Keller’s ad hoc, which literally means "for this purpose," was originally intended to be a temporary restaurant, open during the development of a very different concept. But, due to its loyal following, it was decided that it must be a permanent fixture in Yountville. ad hoc serves a prix fixe, 4-course chalkboard menu, changing daily. Food is served family style and reminiscent of the comfort food with which Chef Keller grew up.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Ad Hoc - Best Restaurants in Yountville ›
Ad Hoc reviews from OpenTable diners
410 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (298)special occasion (176)hot spot (128)notable wine list (121)good for groups (118)neighborhood gem (116)great for outdoor dining (82)great for brunch (65)romantic (51)kid-friendly (33)great for lunch (30)vibrant bar scene (24)scenic view (12)late-night find (10)Show More
- Great food but ok svc this timelan1993Dined on 9/21/2014This is one of my favorite restaurant. The only disappointment this time was the service. Our server was not attentive (which I don't expect her to) since we had to waive her down many time for water, extra sauce, and other knick knack stuff. Never once she came by to check up on us unless we had to waive her down and the restaurant was not busy at the time (service was exceptional other time I was there). My friend ended up give feedback to the general manager on the spot and all he did was apologizing for her not so good service but no promises of improving future service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2014I loved every second of my meal at Ad Hoc. The restaurant is beautiful. It was just enough noisy enough to feel comfortable but you could still hear everything your table mates said. The service was great and the food was OUTSTANDING. I will be coming back for sure. They have ice cream sundaes for dessert on Sunday. It was heavenly. Ugh, I cant wait to eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/21/2014Maybe because we are the last group for the brunch, we felt we are eating the left over "pork shoulder hash". It's a big pot of potatoes in oil, you can hardly find pork! I would avoid having brunch at 1pm there...Special Features:
- Amazing mealOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/20/2014I was not sure how I would feel about the set menu, but it was delicious. On the day of, I looked it up, but I did not know what the protein was based on the title. It was not mentioned in the description. I guess "Porchetta" should have clued me in on pork, but somehow, I missed the context clues. Either way, all of the food was delicious and the portions were huge. We added on the swordfish because when in a Keller restaurant, do what the Keller's do. ;) I also did the wine pairing and it was spectacular. The wine was well paired with the courses. I would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the most perfect & delicious meal!CKeatsDined on 9/19/2014The food was super delicious & generously portioned. It was perfect. I feel luck to have eaten here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of this WorldOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/15/2014We were lucky to go on a the night where they had the fried chicken. It was out of this world. You won't regret this experience (even though it's a bit pricey). But come with an empty stomach...it's a lot of food, and you'll want to eat every bite.Special Features:
- Way too much food!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/14/2014We were a party of six and there was 100% agreement that while the food was excellent, the amount served was excessive to the point where it diminished our overall enjoyment. We couldn't finish it and we ate WAY too much (it was lamb shank night). The wine pairing is on a par with other wine parings, although leaning on the stingier side. I would do it again. One of our party ordered a martini and it had to have been the smallest martini any of us have ever seen served - he was not definitely not happy.
- ExceptionalhungrycalVIPDined on 9/14/2014One word, exceptional. Form the arrival through the way out the door a thoroughly pleasant dining experience. The wait staff are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. The food more than competent. The pairings were spot on. Being on my own, I sat at the bar and thoroughly enjoyed both the food and the conversation with the professional and friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedChaloneDined on 9/13/2014Have dined at Thomas Keller's most excellent Per Se & thought to try another of his restaurants while in Napa. The space is well designed but very loud. Check in was I attentive and even tho had reservations, waited 20 min for table, standing in crowded entry. Food was just not anything to write home about. The salad and cheese course were the highlights. Sooo....been there, done that, don't want to go back. Sadly disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved itTimthejangDined on 9/13/2014a good amount of food. it was noisy but thats ok it had a good energy about it. we brought food home!Special Features:
- Bill MillerwamshotDined on 9/13/2014Having dined at Thomas Keller's French Laundry a day earlier, we were expecting another, though more economical, excellent restaurant. Ad Hoc was a disappointment. The wedge salad was good, but the beef loin entrée though plentiful, was bland and tasteless. The cheese course was average, and the pecan desert (like a small pecan pie) could have been purchased at any average bakery. However, the dining experience was overshadowed by the fact that is was very loud. That is why I recommended it for groups...they seem to congregate, have too many drinks, get loud, enjoy themselves...but not those diners around them. Unfortunately, the hard surfaces certainly doesn't dampen the noise level. $200 for 2? Too much!Special Features:
- Amaze BallsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014The food was amazing. The heirloom tomato salad was the highlight. Followed closely by the stroganoff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- John40207Dined on 9/12/2014We were seated on time despite the huge crowd. Menu is one entree for all served family style. Food was very fresh and we loved the salad and salad dressing. Great use of locally grown vegetables. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Over the top AWESOMERandomPantryDined on 9/12/2014What a wonderful first dinner in Yountville. The element of anticipation of not knowing what we will eat, followed by a welcoming and warm atmosphere and absolutely zero pretense - AMAZING!!! Each dish was fresh, beautiful and tasty. The server personable, informative and passionate. Just great from start to finish. If we had any critical feedback it would be that we probably were served 20% too much food! Really large family plates and we felt guilty for not finishing more of the dish. Thank you for a memorable evening.Special Features:
- A Great Meal in NapaJC4WineDined on 9/12/20144 of us went for dinner and had a great time. They were VERY good at accommodating my husband's food allergies. Portions were not small and everything that we ate was spectacular...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist review of ad hocJimDVIPDined on 9/12/2014The menu included short ribs and shrimp. Salad was excellent, short ribs were outstanding. The cheese course was ok. I did not like the cheese but that is a matter or taste. Dessert was a frozen custard with chocolate sauce. It came out frozen solid and I could barely get my spoon into it to get a taste. I had to push hard to get my spoon into the frozen delight. It tasted good but required work. The wine paring selections were mixed, some I like some I did not.Special Features:
- Ad HocOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Incredibly delicious and fresh-tasting salad. Best roast chicken I have ever had. Wines were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/8/2014As usual, we had a perfect meal. Great service, great food. Enjoyed every minute of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very cozy spaceDinealotDined on 9/8/2014Lots going on at this restaurant...extremely busy. Tables close together. A bit too fast serving you the courses, just barely get one done and the next one is there. Food was good...more like home cooking. Awesome dessert! (Peanut butter pie) yum!Special Features:
- disappointedjamesDined on 9/7/2014we thought this was supposed to be a great restaurant. we paid over $50 a person for a cesaer salad that wasn't ever cut up, spagetti & meatballs, some cheese & ice cream that came with sauce to pour over it. this was no foodie cooking this. I could have had this meal at any average Italian chain restaurant. We paid a lot of money for less than average.
- $$$$ Spaghetti & MeatballskathDined on 9/7/2014Generally I LOVE Ad Hoc and always look forward to dining there with friends and family. Unfortunately I recently booked a reservation for 6 family members who were visiting from Texas and the entrée happened to be Spaghetti & Meatballs. They were very disappointed as they were expecting something a bit more exciting and creative due to the reputation of the restaurant. The comment that was repeated throughout their 4 day visit was... "That was the most expensive Spaghetti and Meatball dinner we've ever had"... Not a good lasting impression.
- Lack-lusterDebbieDined on 9/7/2014They serve everyone the same four course meal for $52 each which is decided that day. I took my son for his birthday, so of course I made reservations. The night we picked was Spaghetti and Meatballs (good meatballs), Caesar salad (average) an extra expense Shrimp and Octopus Dish $16 (very flavorful but the octopus was rubber), a cheese course (ok) and a Sunday Bar (juvenile but tasty). The wine paring was very good $38. They did not charge us for the octopus, but it was still $235 with tax and tip. If you are going to go here, just show up on the day you like the menu, they are usually very inventive. I was saddened that we couldn't at least have had a bread salad in tomato season with our spaghetti and a treat from their bakery.Special Features:
- Okay BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/7/2014I had been there for dinner so we decided to go there for brunch, I was disappointed. The salad was wonderful. The carrots were great, the chicken fried steak -- not so good (bland). The fig coffee cafe for dessert -- not what I would expect in a dessert from a Chef Keller restaurant, very disappointed. The saddest of all was the three small chocolate chip pancakes for an additional $8, wow I'm not sure what they were thinking with this. I have always enjoyed Mr. Keller's restaurants from French Laundry to Bouchon to AdHoc for dinner but AdHoc for brunch requires some work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention to DetailDonnaDined on 9/6/2014Very Thomas Keller attention to detail. Food was excellent. Love the ambiance. Prefer the patio as it is small and quiet in the great Napa Valley weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service and FoodblondieDined on 9/6/2014The price was a little steep but the food was amazing, it definitely didn't disappoint. The atmosphere was casual and the noise level was high. It's good for groups and friends to go to, the food is served in a family style which means you share the food. They give you the right amount of food for sharing though. It is very hard to get a reservation so much sure you book far in advance. Our waitress was very friendly and helpful. She was very energetic and made the dining experience much more memorable.Special Features:
- Fun fun funTastebuddiesVIPDined on 8/31/2014How fun to sit at a large table with family and friends, and be served beautiful, luscious, abundant food family style. Put that table in Napa Valley and it just doesn't get any better. Well done!Special Features:
- Did not dissapointkldgreenDined on 8/31/2014took my family there for a special dinner and the experience did not disappoint. I was not overly amazed by the main course but there were components to the email that were stellar. I thought perhaps the price was a little much for what it was - in particular the cheese plate and sundae dessert were less than a wow statement at the end of a meal that otherwise had been building well.Special Features:
- Ad Hoc - Still A Local TreatJohnDined on 8/31/2014We are Napa "locals", so we subscribe to their daily email menu. This is a great help if you want to see what's cooking the day before. I highly recommend one subscribes. It was our second visit, the first being several years ago. The interior looks very much the same, with a small room expansion. Upon arrival, we discovered that I made my reservation for the wrong date. Our host, Dolce, was still able to seat us thank goodness. She was the best. It could easily have been otherwise. I'm not sure describing the items would be much help since they change the menu daily. It's one price and a fixed menu. for those who need a gluten free meal, they do provide that as well. We weren't disappointed and overall met our expectations.Special Features:
- wow.eamonDined on 8/30/2014just do yourself a favor and go to ad hoc - everything about this restaurant was amazing: food, service, ambiance. seriously, if you're in wine country - just go.Special Features:
- HigginsHigginsDined on 8/30/2014The food is outstanding at Ad Hoc!!! Everything fresh. The NY steak was so tender and cooked perfectly! You definitely get your money's worth! The service was also outstanding, never waited for anything! A great gem.Special Features:
- AmazingCabloversDined on 8/30/2014Each dish was fantastic. Salad, chicken wings(huge)and smoked and a wonderful steak. Dessert was a butterscotch blondie…perfect.Special Features:
- Really good. Not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014We sat in the patio on. Warm night. Enjoyed the quieter ambiance but it was actually a little too hot. The salad was my favorite dish. Really fresh greens, tomatoes and herbs combined for a surprisingly tasty and beautifully presented course. Steak was cooked just right and served family style. Well prepared but a little salty and a little too fatty. Good cheese and honey course. Enjoyable blondie with terrific creme fraiche for dessert. The service was just right. We had a really good evening. But a day later we both agreed there wasn't anything so memorable to make us rush back.Special Features:
- ExcellentDrewMDined on 8/28/2014The food and service was impeccable. The portions were large. We left full and satisfied.Special Features:
- VegetariansOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014Not many options for vegetarians and the food seemed a little dry. Outdoor dining was nice bc inside was quite loud but the flies were a downside as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieSuzyDined on 8/28/2014Heirloom salad was fabulous, hangar steak had good flavor but still a bit chewy, saffron rice & veg were delicious, shrimp toast was really good, and the cake with fig topping was yummy. Service staff was great! Meal was fairly priced. We will definitely return to this restaurant when next in Yountville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seriously???OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/24/2014You cancelled my reservation so how can I review this restaurant.
- A Bit Disappointing, Expected MoreCindaciousDined on 8/24/2014After reading rave reviews about Ad Hoc Sunday Brunch I was thrilled when Napa friends joined us for the pre fixe brunch. The menu changes weekly and you are not privy to menu until that morning. At $34 pp we started w an average granola/yogurt parfait which was OVERLY sweet (I couldn't finish mine), next the main course of pork shoulder hash w a poached duck egg; served family style in a skillet. The dish was mediocre. Very little pork and heavily salted. I didn't eat much of it. We also chose to pay additional $8 for chocolate chip pancakes; 3 dollar sized average tasting cakes. Lastly a delicious hazelnut bar similar to a nut w chocolate rice krispy treat. The AH Bloody Mary at $14 was pedestrian and nothing special. No need to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-SoEaterDined on 8/23/2014Unimaginative, overpriced food. A slab of basic ( fatty) short ribs on rice that was no better than a neighborhood diner. A chopped salad that was decent but less tasty than many of our local eateries. Punishingly noisy. We won't be back.Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING!!ALH2053VIPDined on 8/22/2014We have not experienced many restaurants with a set menu so not being familiar with some of the offerings can be a bit risky. Do not worry, just go and enjoy the food. We went on our last night in Yountville and had some of the best food of the entire trip. That includes a visit to the French Laundry. The restaurant is very casual and the wait staff is great. The menu changes frequently so it can be like a box of chocolates "you never know what your going to get". This evening was a salad course followed by a entre of flank steak with garden fresh corn and greens. Wonderful! Followed by cheese with peanuts and honey. That turned out to be off the chart good. Last was a carrot cake with pineapple sorbet. ALL great offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great surpriseLuvthefoodDined on 8/22/2014We loved the family style presentation The food was great and we had such a special time The cost of this dinner in comparison to others that were more expensive was definitely worth it