6476 Washington St.
Yountville, CA 94599Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.adhocrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7079442487
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Thursday - Monday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Sunday Brunch - 10:30 to 2 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Katie Hagan-Whelchel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Along with our events team, ad hoc is able to provide off-site services for private functions.
- Private Party Facilities: ad hoc can be reserved entirely for any size private party up to 98. Large party dining is also available for groups up to 40.
- Private Party Contact: Cassie Sealing 7079442487
A word from Ad Hoc
Thomas Keller’s ad hoc, which literally means "for this purpose," was originally intended to be a temporary restaurant, open during the development of a very different concept. But, due to its loyal following, it was decided that it must be a permanent fixture in Yountville. ad hoc serves a prix fixe, 4-course chalkboard menu, changing daily. Food is served family style and reminiscent of the comfort food with which Chef Keller grew up.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Ad Hoc - Best Restaurants in Yountville ›
Ad Hoc reviews from OpenTable diners
405 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (292)special occasion (176)hot spot (123)notable wine list (122)good for groups (116)neighborhood gem (111)great for outdoor dining (88)great for brunch (73)romantic (55)kid-friendly (34)great for lunch (31)vibrant bar scene (28)scenic view (14)late-night find (11)Show More
- HigginsHigginsDined on 8/30/2014The food is outstanding at Ad Hoc!!! Everything fresh. The NY steak was so tender and cooked perfectly! You definitely get your money's worth! The service was also outstanding, never waited for anything! A great gem.Special Features:
- Really good. Not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014We sat in the patio on. Warm night. Enjoyed the quieter ambiance but it was actually a little too hot. The salad was my favorite dish. Really fresh greens, tomatoes and herbs combined for a surprisingly tasty and beautifully presented course. Steak was cooked just right and served family style. Well prepared but a little salty and a little too fatty. Good cheese and honey course. Enjoyable blondie with terrific creme fraiche for dessert. The service was just right. We had a really good evening. But a day later we both agreed there wasn't anything so memorable to make us rush back.Special Features:
- ExcellentDrewMDined on 8/28/2014The food and service was impeccable. The portions were large. We left full and satisfied.Special Features:
- VegetariansOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014Not many options for vegetarians and the food seemed a little dry. Outdoor dining was nice bc inside was quite loud but the flies were a downside as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieSuzyDined on 8/28/2014Heirloom salad was fabulous, hangar steak had good flavor but still a bit chewy, saffron rice & veg were delicious, shrimp toast was really good, and the cake with fig topping was yummy. Service staff was great! Meal was fairly priced. We will definitely return to this restaurant when next in Yountville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seriously???OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/24/2014You cancelled my reservation so how can I review this restaurant.
- So-SoEaterDined on 8/23/2014Unimaginative, overpriced food. A slab of basic ( fatty) short ribs on rice that was no better than a neighborhood diner. A chopped salad that was decent but less tasty than many of our local eateries. Punishingly noisy. We won't be back.Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING!!ALH2053VIPDined on 8/22/2014We have not experienced many restaurants with a set menu so not being familiar with some of the offerings can be a bit risky. Do not worry, just go and enjoy the food. We went on our last night in Yountville and had some of the best food of the entire trip. That includes a visit to the French Laundry. The restaurant is very casual and the wait staff is great. The menu changes frequently so it can be like a box of chocolates "you never know what your going to get". This evening was a salad course followed by a entre of flank steak with garden fresh corn and greens. Wonderful! Followed by cheese with peanuts and honey. That turned out to be off the chart good. Last was a carrot cake with pineapple sorbet. ALL great offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great surpriseLuvthefoodDined on 8/22/2014We loved the family style presentation The food was great and we had such a special time The cost of this dinner in comparison to others that were more expensive was definitely worth it
- Fried chicken not at it's bestkenmin5VIPDined on 8/18/2014I was very excited about the Monday fried chicken night. The portion was plentiful however the chicken was too breaded. Having been in Charleston two months ago and having had Poogan's porch fried chicken the comparison was simple. Far better with the Poogan buttermilk variety. Perhaps another night at Ad Hoc would have been better.
- Ad Hoc Fried Chicken dinnerCTsonomaDined on 8/18/2014We have eaten at Ad Hoc numerous times for their famous fried chicken, and while it was tasty, it was not up to their normal standards. The sides were good and the service was exceptional as always. Overall just not a memorable meal from Ad Hoc for us.Special Features:
- Family style without the kidsOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/17/2014Thomas Keller seldom disappoints and I had anticipated that if his restaurant was serving a fixed price menu for the entire evening that each course would be perfect. Two home runs for the starter tomato salad and the beyond creamy dessert sundae, but my companions and I all felt the entree of pork loin was overcooked. Would I have been dissatisfied at any other restaurant, probably not- but this is Thomas Keller after all! The nice part is, a different menu each night, so I will definitely try again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect MealTTSFVIPDined on 8/17/2014Ad Hoc was the perfect end to a perfect day. The experience, like every other Thomas Keller project, was flawless. Ad Hoc hit the perfect balance of casual, comfortable dining - like going to a friend's house for dinner - if that friend was a 5-star chef using the best ingredients available. We sat outside, which was lovely, given the sunset and warm weather, and our server(s) were all exceptionally warm, funny, and accommodating. We absolutely adored the tomato salad - like summer on a plate - and the entrees and cheese course were all delicious. Dessert was an especially wonderful experience - "build your own sundaes" with completely fantastic toppings and flavors. All this topped off with exceptional hospitality... Will be back for more.Special Features:
- Really good - not amazingDDLuxDined on 8/17/2014The Thomas Keller restaurants have a reputation for amazing food. The meal was really good and we had a very good overall experience, but the meal was not amazing. Possibly my expectations were too high. Our salad was excellent and again, the service was impeccable. A very tasty opening course. Then we had eggs benedict with a crab cake serving as the muffin. Great concept. The crab cake was really good. The eggs were overcooked. I asked to have a new egg and they responded immediately and brought a new one. The tort for dessert was the disappointment. It was tough and dried out. The bottom layer crust was almost to dense to cut. We do want to return and try other meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhat disappointingsherrybrryDined on 8/17/2014Got off to a rocky start with a Bloody Mary that was one of the least distinguished Bloodys I've ever had. Thin and seriously lacking in flavor. Mentioning it to the wait person, he took it away without my even having to ask, and later, after tasting the mix, said he totally agreed with me. The salad was very fresh, as was the dressing, and I enjoyed the bacon lardons. Not being a fan of crab cakes, I will say that at least these had a lot of crab, as opposed to filler, but I wasn't getting that "Oh, this is incredible" taste sensation. The egg on top was delicious and well-prepared. The hit of the meal for me was the dessert, which was billed as a torte, but towards the outside edge was almost like a cookie. Truly yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had higher expectationsLeonievSVIPDined on 8/14/2014We were very excited to try out ad hoc but were not very impressed. The menu was ok but not great and the salad we started with was superstrongly soaked in pesto, one of the members in our party got instant stomach aches out of it.. Ended up having a bit of a laugh when Mr Thomas Keller showed up himself to eat and got the salad with the pesto on the side!! So even he knows the amount of pesto on the salad is way out of proportion!
- Annual Pilgrimage Never DisappointsfoodiepilgrimDined on 8/10/2014Friends and I have been visiting wine country each summer as a girls' getaway. The food and drinks are way tastier than their humble descriptions every time - due to the ultimate in freshness and preparation skill. My fave is always the salad! One friend is gluten-free so they also can make great substitutions for her. This year we ran a local half marathon in Santa Rosa and had a couple friends come join us for our celebration dinner and that made it all the better, sharing the memories. Personally I prefer the patio as it is easier to have a conversation and enjoy the weather than indoors which gets noisy. Ad Hoc's casual style is so approachable, and we love to walk down to the TFL garden after the meal to help digest the feast.Special Features:
- Exceptional DinnerOdedzDined on 8/10/2014Ad Hoc focuses on "family style" dining. What that translates to, is focus on sublime products (many of which originate in the french laundry garden down the street) and sublime execution. There are no so called "elaboration" or "sophistication"- things that restaurants in this price level (and even some Michelin starred establishments) use to over shadow lack of quality. It is food everybody knows, done with enormous attention to detail. The service was just as good as the food. Waiting staff knew the dishes- and you could tell they didn't just recite. They were attentive, yet not nagging. Everything was neatly in order. I even got a look at the kitchen, which, again- was quiet, orderly, and clean. Was worth the four hour drive each way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ad Hoc ad infinitum!GastrobubDined on 8/10/2014Of course going to a Thomas Keller restaurant, expectations were sky high. I was surprised to see the Sunday Brunch was a prix-fixe menu. I was equally surprised that each of the 3 of us in the party really enjoyed the meal. My father is 80 and is an old school meat and potatoes guy. My wife is like a rabbit and is very discriminating when dining out. And I enjoy more bold flavors in my entrees. The bread was excellent, the arugula salad with fresh cherries, peaches, cucumbers and shaved fennel with a creamy herb dressing was the best salad I'd ever had. The main course was steak and eggs and this also rose to the occasion. The steak was a flat iron steak, cooked to a perfect mid-rare, served with a corn salad and hushpuppies.Special Features:
- AwesomeclcurrierDined on 8/9/2014Spectacular food, beautiful environment, awesome and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a pleasant experiencesantacruzgirlDined on 8/9/2014I eat at Ad Hoc a few times a year, and I'm never disappointed. The food, the service, the ambiance, everything is lovely and exactly as I'd hope it would be for a special dining experience. I really appreciate their alternative vegetarian/pescetarian menus. And as someone with food allergies, it's so nice that they ask at the beginning of the meal if there are any food allergies they should know about. It's very noisy though--I rarely leave without a sore throat, from having to shout in order to be heard by my dining partner(s).Special Features:
- Post hoc on Ad hocJanoDined on 8/8/2014The food was very good but the atmosphere let us down. The music was a raucous and with speakers in another room it felt like being the neighbors to some one else's party. The tables are too close so it wasn't intimate and the decor is nill so it didn't feel chic either. Soup starter was brilliant but toll house pie was ordinary and the olive and bread with the cheese course was all wrong. For the price, I would say over hyped. We'll try somewhere else next time.Special Features:
- Ad Hoc magnum estLosFelizNatvDined on 8/8/2014In Latin, that means "Ad Hoc is great." Inventive but familiar, precise yet playful, flavorful and comforting, fresh and seasonal ingredients, all the flavors shine and work so well together. The wine pairings were not run-of-the-mill. They were the work of a wine genius! Short ribs prepared sous vide were absolutely the most tender and delicious preparation. The first course of cantaloupe soup with a tartine of speck, fennel, lemon ricotta and figs was a show stopper. My wife and I cannot say enough good things about our Ad Hoc dinner experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HypePrincessDined on 8/7/2014The menu food preparation is unique and very good. The service was mediocre at best. No "how are you", "thank you" - If it weren't for the food, and originality, I would not recommend it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top of our Napa listOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014We had limited time in Napa and Ad Hoc made the list for it's balance of laid-back vibe and polished food/ service. This is my second time at the restaurant and I was eager to show off everything I love about Ad Hoc to my group of first-timers. It didn't disappoint. We changed the reservation multiple times due to changes in travel schedules (I know, we are totally THAT group), and the restaurant was very accommodating, even helping one couple "catch up" on courses after their long drive from SFO. Cocktails were amazing, food was amazing, dessert was amazing. It was all great! I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Not worth it!Robert123Dined on 8/7/2014Food was uninspired and mediocre at best. Vegetables soft not al dente. The fish was overcooked and highly oversalted. The steak was the only good thing. At $52 per person for a "family style" meal, this is both highly overrated and overpriced. With so many other good places to go, I will never be back. PS I owned and ran a Michelin restaurant for 10 years so this is not a "personal taste" review.
- Fried Chicken to die forMarn424Dined on 8/4/2014We had an amazing dinner at Ad Hoc on Monday. The service was awesome and the food was impeccable. Everything we had was amazing but the creamed corn and fried chicken were some of the best I've ever eaten. I cannot recommend Ad Hoc enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!StephenTDined on 8/4/2014We came for dinner. It was full there, on a Monday night! Very easy to order food, as there is one fixed menu for everyone. Service is attentive, and the server explains the dishes well. There is a nice bar, and the lighting was pleasant without being too dim.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 100 a head for fried chicken?headDined on 8/4/2014This was the best fried chicken I've ever had BUT it's still fried chicken. It's worth the experience but I can't see where I'd ever go back. The food cost percentage is almost criminal. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Meal in NapaOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/3/2014Loved it! would go back above every restaurant in a heartbeat!Special Features:
- It is Thomas Keller...RomaTomatoDined on 8/3/2014You can't go wrong here. The food is going to be delicious and the price is reasonable for the quality. Only one menu per night and one sellup but they will accommodate vegetarians, vegans and pescatarians with substitutions. Everything was delicious but this time (our second visit) they were not totally on their game with their substitutions. They forgot part of our vegetarian dish and somehow deemed that one scoop of sorbet equaled two scoops of ice cream. And the entree was exactly the same as for meat eaters, except for a piece of squash instead of half a chicken. Keep in mind that you don't pay any less if you don't take the meat. Last time I wasn't made to feel like the meal was less due to the vegetarian substitutions.Special Features:
- Pleasantly Surprised!TeriDined on 8/3/2014First I was disappointed to read that Sunday's main course for dinner was chicken. Ad Hoc is always on target with the aim of food preparation. EXCELLENT Chicken!!! and the rest of the meal- from appetizers to dessert. Will definitely come back....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite worth the $$$OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014The restaurant has a great vibe, but is a bit pricey for what you get. The food was good, but not exceptional. Our server had a great attitude and checked in on us often. They did a good job with the wine pairings.Special Features:
- ad hoc was lively!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/2/2014The prix fix menu on Saturday was delicious. Started with a lovely salad that was fresh and light, with a great green goddess dressing. The additional menu item, the chicken liver on crostini, was delicious! Love the cheese, honey and nuts...saved the dessert to take home. The main course of hanger steak was prepared perfectly....would have preferred another cut of beef, but that's a personal preference, not a mark on the restaurant. We had great, friendly service. I felt a little rushed, however, because you don't need to think about the menu, so we got our salad at the same time as our cocktails. A little more time between the arrival of the food would have been great. All in all, a satisfying meal and ambience! We'd go again!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food & ServicehalfdomeVIPDined on 8/1/2014Very impressed with the freshness of the salad course - all organically produced!!! Thank you. The steak for the main on a bed of beans was outstanding. Dessert was perfect - keep those apple fritters coming.Special Features:
- AMAZING!manwithaveragetastebudsDined on 8/1/2014One of my favorite meals of all-time. Great environment with their garden out back. Amazing service. And of course, the food was perfect! Our waiter even went above and beyond to accommodate my nut allergy. They created a different salad dressing for me, substituted the nuts, and even specially cooked my apple fritter in canola oil instead of peanut oil. Would love to come back again even we're in the area. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ad hocBegsVIPDined on 7/31/2014Go there hungry. Bone in rib eye was massive and under done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding everything...amazingfinds2uDined on 7/31/2014Amazing gem with outstanding food. The atmosphere is modern yet homey, service was excellent, relaxed. Food was superb. The food is served family style, and portions were large. The tomato salad was the best we have eaten, with basil oil and pesto. The rib-eye was cooked perfectly and the carrots/asparagus were done perfectly. Great polenta as well. The cheese course was odd, with aged cheddar, pickles, peanuts, just didn't get it, and the flavors were not good together. Took the cheese home, which was good the next day. The waiter didn't quite know how to explain it either! The stonefruit cobbler was amazing for dessert. Great experience, highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodbiancaDined on 7/31/2014The food is exceptional, the wine is exceptional, and the staff are exceptional, but when you are paying this kind of money it's a special occasion for the average person and at ad hoc you don't get any of the usual ambiance that comes with high prices. no table cloths, no mint or cucumber or lemon in the water, there was loud pop music over the speakers, and the tables were close together. We dined at 6 and the meal took an hour and a half. Fantastic food and a great wine pairing with it, but lacking a romantic/fine dining atmosphere.Special Features:
- Nice, but ..........is it worth it?mlondonDined on 7/28/2014Very nice restaurant, the service was impeccable ........the iceberg wedge salad was good, as well as the baby back ribs ... not so much the chicken wings ...... anyway, $100+ average per person for pork ribs and chicken wings?? ................ i guess i was expecting a little more on the food. Don't think is worth it.